July 25, 2014 | 1725 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream SPF 36 [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2008 5:12:00 PM More reviews by miscreant_minx

I've previously used the SPF 55 cream as my daily sunscreen. However, I found that to be more drying, more mask like, and also, oddly enough, to leave me with a shinier finish for a while after applying.

This SPF has a much nicer finish - smooth and a bit lighter in texture, and it turns matte almost immediately upon application. For everyday wear, I'm switching to this. However, I'll probably keep the 55 around for outdoor recreation days, especially in the summer.

Same story as with the 55; you'll need an oil-based cleanser to get this off before your usual cleanser. That's really the only pain about this product. It lasts for several months with daily use, so I think the price is reasonable. I guess the real test will be in a few decades when I compare myself to those who never used sunscreen! But so far, so good.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2008 5:27:00 PM More reviews by iRahBu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This saved a lot of time for me. I have uber oily skin, so during mid-day my skin would be oily all over and my foundation would just melt off and you can see all my pimples and blemishes. I hated it. I had to blot all the oily away with MAC's blotting powder. It didnt help. You could still see all the acne and blemishes. When I put this on like 95% of my oil-iness went away. I didn't have to blot soo much and my mineral foundation was still there. You could even see my blush still. I was still a bit oily, but you could barely tell There was any oil on my face. The cream kind of mixed in my foundation and oil to give me this glowing effect. I don't know how but when I look in the mirror that's what I think. I asked a couple people and they said they couldn't see oil on my face and only saw a kind of glow. My makeup stayed on so much longer. The only thing I don't really like about it is the price. I think that $27 dollars for 1.9 oz is a little too much. But I think that it'll last me a long time. This sinks into my skin easily, but I kind of have to rub it in. I thought it'd be more liquidy since that's what everyones been saying. Overall I'd buy this again. The packaging is "kind' of cute. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2008 4:09:00 PM More reviews by roarwoman

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Due to the Retisol-A that I use for my acne, it's important that I use sun protection in the day. I find that this is an excellent product. It is smooth like a thick moisturizer but blends in leaving the skin looking matte, no "ghost face" and has a light pleasent scent that fades with the hour. The matte effect lasts pretty much the entire day even when I use moisturizer underneath and I have not had any problems using it under my makeup.

The only issue I have is that the bottle is small and pricey $38 CDN, but if your looking for the full meal deal so to speak then this is your product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2008 7:50:00 PM More reviews by moncj66

This product does make ur skin very dry, buts great for me because i have oily skin. I love the fact that it absorbs the oil all day long. Using a oil like vitamin E or lite lotion does help. I love this suncreen and NO white cast, since im black, i hate when sunscreens do that. I definitely will keep this one!!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/17/2007 12:05:00 PM More reviews by formyiris

I tried using this sunscreen under my foundation, and it's way too dry for me even though I used a cream moisturizer before applying. Although it does not leave a white cast on my face when worn alone, it definitely made my foundation look like a cakey mask. I don't feel like it works as a good primer either like some reviewers have stated. My foundation looked progressively more cracked and cakey as the day went on. It did not make make skin look smooth when worn by itself.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2007 7:12:00 AM More reviews by MissHiss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is an excellent sunscreen. It absorbs well and does not have a ghosting effect. This product has a matt/powder finish and works exceptionally well under make-up. I have a lot of allergies and did not experience any with this product.

For those with dry skin - you are well advised to use an oil (e.g. Angelique oil by Decléor) or something hydrating (e.g. Dermalogica's Hydrating Booster) under this product, as you may find it a bit drying.

Take this off with an oil-based make-up remover (e.g. Pre-cleanse by Dermalogica).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2007 5:12:00 PM More reviews by starlight256

This sunscreen is the definition of cosmetically elegant! It goes on smoothly (as the name implies), like a nice moisturizing (but not heavy) face cream. It absorbs quickly to a matte finish and is fantastic under makeup. I do not notice any white cast. If you have normal, combination, or slightly oily skin, or if you found the Shiseido SPF 55 lotion to be too drying, I highly recommend giving this one a try. It is not heavily fragranced and has never irritated my skin or caused breakouts. Can be used around eyes with no problem. It is waterproof and very tenacious, so you'll need to used an oil-based cleanser to remove it.
    The only less-than-perfect thing about this sunscreen is that the PPD is only 8-10. continued >>

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2007 11:23:00 AM More reviews by rolanda

Best winter sunscreen ever. I use the Lotion in the summer, as it is less creamy than this one. Excellent coverage, makeup goes on top of it well, and doesn't leave a greasy finish. I've used this for years and have never broken out. BEST OF ALL, I can use it around my eyes with absolutely no irritation. Most sunscreens run into my eyes and sting like crazy, but not this. You can run, dance, climb, whatever, and there is no stinging or burning in the eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2007 7:27:00 PM More reviews by svetie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been using it for 3 years by now, it's the best sunscreen ever. I mix it with my foundation and it makes a lovely "tinted moisturizer". It can only be properly removed with cleansing oil. I use DHC Cleansing oil, I tried Shiseido's, but IMO it doesn't work as well. I will continue buying, it gives a matte finish and it lasts all day without a need for blotting. Wonderful product!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2007 10:29:00 AM More reviews by honeystix

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This looked good on for the first day I wore it. After that, it was downhill, because it took so much scrubbing to get this off properly that Day 2 and Day 3 were bad because my face was dried up from removing this product. I agree completely with below reviewer about the glue-like feeling. Along with the SPF 55, this really did feel like a mask on. I also cringed at the fragrance in this, and did not enjoy applying the thick scented paste. I know that this is well-loved by many for its matte finish. I have given up for now on finding a satisfactory physical sunblock.