November 24, 2014 | 2061 users online

Hair Treatments - Biosilk - Silk Therapy

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2014 2:30:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I held off on buying Biosilk for a long time for two reasons - most serums do nothing for my hair and the price of this stuff is stupid high. I've seen this at Wal-Mart (always housed in a huge plastic lockbox as if its made of spun gold), Costco, Target and Trade Secret but just couldn't part with $25 for a wee bottle. After finally looking around, I found a 15 oz bottle for $15.99 at TJ Maxx. Yes, $16 is still rather pricey but it was the absolute best price I've seen for such a large amount of product ever so I snapped it up.

I've had this for about a month now and I'm rather pleased with it. I have a large amount of fine, longish, super curly, frizzy hair that I regularly straighten. I've also gotten kertain treatments in the past (which I love but now am too broke to get) so my hair isn't in terrible condition but since it's long and I'm not diligent about getting regular trims, I have some noticeable split ends and, naturally, frizz all the time. Instead of slathering two handfuls of this serum on like I would have done in the past (my old motto was "More is better!!"), I use this sparingly. By sparingly, I do mean sparingly. All you need is about a dime size if you have long, thick hair. I have lots and lots of hair (hence my old motto) that is about midback length and it soaks up almost all liquid it comes into contact with and I still use a very, very small amount of this product because, honestly, a little dab will do ya. I have yet to try it out but I'm sure if too much is used, you'll end up with greasy, limp tresses.

As I wear my hair straight, I really want a product that will make it look nice and healthy which I feel Biosilk does. It certainly doesn't mend my split ends (nothing but scissors do that) but my hair is shiny, soft and manageable. I can't throw my Chi in the trash or anything but this does help in the days between washings and straightenings. The only quibble about this is the smell. Most people have mentioned that they love it but I don't care for it. I prefer more of a musk, verging on cologne like smell for my hair products (I love the way Redken's products smell) so this floral like scent really doesn't do it for me. I found that if I use Biosilk before bed, the smell is gone by morning and I'm left with the wonderful results.

I would recommend Biosilk to others because I do think it works well if you use it sparingly. As always, I would advise anyone to shop around and buy this for the cheapest price you can find. I know that was a tough point for me to contend with and I'm glad I waited and got the biggest bottle for the cheapest I could find.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/29/2013 3:36:00 PM More reviews by realitiane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

After reading all the reviews I was eager to try this product. Especially since I've started bleaching my hair and it is dryer and feels more wiry than it used to be. However, I'm sorry to say that this is one of those products that is going to stay in my bathroom cabinet, and never going to get empty.

I'm not that impressed because I have been using Lee Stafford's "Arganoil from Morocco" before this and I was content with the results, it made my hair feel soft and I loved the smell. But the reviews of that one weren't as good as the ones from this product "Silk Therapy", so, I thought that there were better products on the market (and maybe not as expensive).

I found that Biosilk Silk Therapy does make a little difference, but I am not impressed with the results. My hair does not really feel that much different from before I used the product, I don't think my hair got softer or shinier. It did help against the frizziness, though. The smell isn't really to my taste, to me it smells like a sweet perfumed glue (kind of like cacharel's anais anais meets UHU glue)

I am going to try another argan oil brand, since those at least do not contain alcohol.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2013 10:53:00 AM More reviews by kellybaybee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've used this stuff for years!! it makes my hair silky and smooth very well considering I have Colorado hair. It's pricey yes but I give it a good 4 because I don't like the cap.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2013 3:57:00 PM More reviews by SassyCappy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I love this serum! It makes my hair so silky-smooth. And the smell! A big smile forms on my face whenever I get a whiff of it mid-day, because I'm reminded that my hair looks and smells great. The only downside to it is that I have thick hair, so a "dime size" amount just doesn't cut it for me, and if I use too much, the silky-smoothness turns to dirty-greasiness. I'm like Goldilocks - I need to find a specific amount of Biosilk Silk Therapy that's just right for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2013 6:49:00 PM More reviews by Highdee25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok, I used to SWEAR by this product! And I probably still would if I had not found what I use now (Agadir Argan oil spray treatment...best thing everrrrr) this serum is pretty amazing, however. I was using it for about 6+ years. It helps with frizziness, leaves hair soft and silky, helps brush through tangled hair, and it's just an overall good product. The only downside to this serum is that it does tend to be on the "thicker side" so you are more prone to being left with "oily" looking hair if you do not style the product out enough. I did find myself having to go over my hair more often with the straightening iron to get rid of the oily feeling in my hair (seriously, a lil bit of product goes a looong way).

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2013 6:51:00 PM More reviews by kiki94x

My favourite hair serum. Doesn't make your hair greasy or oliy (because it's silicon-based), puts down frizz and also works great when you use it pre-straightening, with your heat protector (I use L'anze smoother straightening balm). The scent is great, I use it every day, multiple times a day and I still can't get enough of the scent.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/29/2013 5:30:00 PM More reviews by zeaxkr

Pro - For me none.

Con - Bad Smell, Acne prone, make my hair feel heavy & icky

rated 3 of 5 on 11/26/2013 11:46:00 PM More reviews by bubblewarped

I am super late on this one, but wow, instant love! My hair is armpit length and virgin, but paradoxically both thick/coarse (I'm Asian) but fragile and damage-prone. I haven't tried every hair serum out there but the ones I have were either pointless, forgettable or downright icky -- granted, this is the first "salon-quality" serum I've splurged on (even then, I just got the small travel bottle to test-drive) but I was blown away by how my typically dry, damaged ends became silky and touchable within about 0.5 seconds of applying... like I just walked out of the salon. I use volumizing sprays that can be a bit drying, so after styling, I rub a bit of the serum (dime size) onto my palms and smooth over the bottom 2/3 of my hair. Then I smooth the rest over my crown to tame the frizz. I don't need more than that and it immediately sinks in, leaving my hair sufficiently moisturized, manageable and softer than I thought was possible at this point, sans greasiness and without weighing my locks down -- important because I don't have the densest of hair, and I *hate* having sticky hands after touching my hair. I also used to have a big problem with my hair tangling underneath hoodies and jacket collars, but no longer! And brushing is no longer a practice in masochism! The scent, while not unpleasant (to me), is a little strong and does lingers a bit. While expensive, I definitely will be repurchasing when I run out of the travel size!

EDIT: It started giving me back acne -- HUGE deal breaker. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2013 2:12:00 PM More reviews by Jellybean813

Amazing product! Great for thick hair especially in humidity. Makes my hair soft, manageable, smooth and not greasy at all! Definitely overpriced in salons but if you go to Costco it is a great deal. Huge bottle 12oz for $25. Will last wayyy over a year. I live in Florida and it makes a huge difference!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2013 5:18:00 AM More reviews by graceybaby8

I tried this and applied it to the ends of my hair.... Unfortunately when my long hair touched the skin around my neck and face when the wind blew - the product made my face itch. I had an allergic reaction to this product. I broke out in tiny bumps around my collar bone, neck and cheeks. I gave my product away. Too bad... It smelled nice too.