October 24, 2014 | 1648 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Burt's Bees - Shea Butter Hand Repair Creme [DISCONTINUED]

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2009 9:56:00 AM More reviews by sherrier

This seemed to help with my dry chapped hands but I couldn't use is because of the smell. It was awful. Sort of a medicine rotten garbage smell. It actually make me nauseated. I returned it, it was too expensive to let sit in my drawer with me knowing I will never use it. Nasty.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2009 2:29:00 PM More reviews by spiderleenie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my favorite weapon against chapped hands during the Winter season. My hands tend to get terribly chapped when the weather's cold (sometimes to the point of bleeding). Whenever I use this Hand Repair Creme, though, my hands are healed almost immediately.

I can see how the smell can turn off some people, so don't use this product if you plan on going out. This stuff works best overnight. Just put the cream on, wear gloves, and go to sleep. You will see immediate results the next morning.

I highly recommend this to people who need to repair severely damaged hands. It WORKS.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2009 11:23:00 PM More reviews by lareinarumbera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

this cream totally works as advertised... i agree that the smell is really really bad though - i thought it was supposed to be lavender but that my tube had gone bad! it smells like lavender and clorox bleach or something like that.

i hate the smell, so i don't use it in public (also i find it too rich, i have to wait for a bit for it to sink in), just at home to keep my superdry hands nourished. within a few days i noticed my nails & cuticles were less peely and that they were stronger. i would buy this cream again, but only to use it at home. i much prefer clarins creme jeunesse pour les mains or body shop body butter for "public" usage.

overall, it works, but smells awful (one lippie off for that). for me it was not too expensive considering it's over 99% natural, which i like. keeps my hands soft, my cuticles from peeling, and my nails from breaking, so i'll keep using it.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/12/2009 3:05:00 AM More reviews by RecklessAbandon31

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I hate hate hate the smell. It also comes out really oily and weird. It doesn't absorb very well so you're left with really oily hands so I would recommend using this at night. But as for me I will probably pick something less oily than this because I don't like the feeling of gunk on my hands.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2009 10:52:00 PM More reviews by dawnwfoster

I picked up this product after running out of my l'occitane hand cream and searching for something less expensive but equally as effective. I am only 25 with no wrinkles or age spots on my hands, but I wanted a cream to moisturize and nourish my hands at night. I read the ingredients and was impressed with the antiaging and antioxidants listed (vitamin E, vitamine A, etc)... The price was high for a drugstore product but less than half what I would pay for l'occitane. My first impression is that the packaging is cute tube, quite no-fuss. However I agree with most people that this product has a strange medicine-ish smell which baffled me at first. It's not really a pleasant smell, it reminds me of stuff my grandparents used to rub on sore muscles (i think it's called Tiger Balm). However if a product works, I can get over the smell no matter how bad it is. So far I love this product. It is a thick cream with a slightly oily texture (kind of like the oil separated from the cream inside the tube), but it mixes together nicely when I rub my hand together. It doesn't take much work to get it into the skin, and it sinks in quickly. I noticed that it leaves an "oily" residue, not quite slick... but definitely creamyish on the hands. This takes a little longer to totally sink in, but I don't mind this at all. I actually like the feeling of super coated and moisturized hands. I took off one lippie because of the weird smell, but I'm definitely keeping this and will probably repurchase it if it continues to perform.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/11/2009 6:21:00 PM More reviews by moonbeam11

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I agree that this cream has a strange medicinal scent, but I don't mind it. The cream works reasonably well and, if the price was right, I might repurchase. But I'm not enthusiastic about this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/11/2009 5:29:00 AM More reviews by hayleythomson

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I agree with many of the other posters - this stinks! It smells like Sudo cream.

If you really rub it in for ages the smell does susbside, but the cream leaves a greasy sticky residue.

I only use this at night because of the smell and stickiness.

Even then, I'm afraid it doesn't do a particularly good job - no better than any other hand cream (natural or not) that I have tried. I still have to use handcream throughout the day, and since it doesn't save me this, I don't think it's worth putting up with the smell and consistency. It is super hard, and my product has kind of split - it is now oil and hard stuff, which when mixed back together forms a cream, but very unappealing to use.

I prefer Badger to Burt's Bees, the smells and consistency tend to be better, but will all the same green credentials.

Although the original lipbalm is still the best!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/3/2009 4:42:00 PM More reviews by LipstickGraffiti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was excited to see Burt's Bees Shea Butter Hand Repair Creme at a great price recently, so I bought a tube to keep at work. I've read glowing reviews of Burt's Bees products, though I have only tried their lip balms (didn't like them). But surely you can't screw up hand cream, right?

My first impression of this hand cream is that I was certainly going to develop ripped forearms trying to squeeze the cream out of the tube. It's very thick and may as well come in slices. My second impression was that you will become very intimate with every inch of your hands, as it takes forever to rub, rub, rub this cream in, and it still has a persistent oily feel even after you've rubbed your hands raw.

My third impression, after exhausting my hands trying to rub this stuff into my skin, is that the smell is horribly unpleasant. I imagine it is intended to be a natural, organic scent to go with the reputation of the company, but it reminds me of pesticide, citronella, medicine, and dandelions...no, not a compliment.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2009 12:53:00 PM More reviews by cloroxcowgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

A very odd consistency for a hand cream. It is very thin and light weight - I do not feel any shea butter moisture at all from this cream. It just evaporates on the skin, barely moisturizing my hands. Not worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2009 2:14:00 PM More reviews by blue_jay

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It does the job. I love it.