July 29, 2014 | 2182 users online

Polishes - OPI - Black Onyx

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2009 11:58:00 PM More reviews by riyeu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OPI's nail colors are amazing quality. This is way better than Chanel's black satin, which can easily get scuffed up. Lasts an entire week with no top coat. only thing is you must apply 2 coats else its watery black instead of true black.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2009 5:48:00 PM More reviews by philomena

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I actually like this polish. I am on my second bottle though because the first one lay on its side for a while and accidentally got sealed shut when I was halfway through it. I haven't had any problems with it at all, it's the same good quality as my other OPI polishes. I use base coat, then the first coat goes on transparent-ish grey and streaky, but the second coat fills it all in and leaves it perfectly glossy and opaque. It dries quickly and hard and does not chip for a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2009 5:18:00 PM More reviews by bonbon27

Love this Black!! easy application, brilliant shine, and completely opaque with two coats. I usually wear this colour on my toes and I get so many compliments on how shiny it is. I will certainly repurchase this when I run out.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2009 3:01:00 AM More reviews by scarattina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am so mad I wasted almost $10 on this nail polish. I bought it for black-tip french manicures bc one time they gave me navy tips :/ , but after trying it out today i realized I wont be able to do that with this color since it is so sheer and runny. I have much better black nail polishes that are more pigmented and opaque that I paid only $1 for. The salesperson at ULTA told me it was going to be super-pigmented but obviously they've never tried it and just wanted me to buy the expensive one. Too bad I can't return it bc I actually purchased about 5 months ago. The best I can do with this is use it as a top coat to seal in my cheaper black polishes. I don't know how people are saying that 2 coats work fine because I even tried to patch a tiny smudge that happened on one of my nails with this and it still didn't cover it. For dark colors runny is NOT a good thing, I want to know where I'm putting it, and I'm a pretty skilled manicurist, all my friends and family ask me to do their nails! I'm sorry but I don't have all day to sit there painting layer upon layer on my nails. There are definitely better quality black polishes somewhere out there so dont waste your time on this... I usually love OPI but they need to reformulate this one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2009 2:15:00 AM More reviews by Abrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Surprisingly i actually really liked this, I put on thin layers and built it up so it actually dried relatively fast.

My friend who hated this asked me what I used and they were amazed because they had nothing but problems with it, but as long as you build up the color slowly it works great.

It is very time consuming, but once it is on it stays on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2008 3:49:00 PM More reviews by MIJA_97

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am in love with OPI nail polishes this black one is awsome it had great shine and it lasts!! ♥ OPI

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2008 6:54:00 PM More reviews by rachellechar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

agree with others... a bit diff to apply n took forever to dry! but i thk it is very long lasting though and i like it.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/3/2008 7:50:00 AM More reviews by beesknees

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is ok but nothing special.

The first coat goes on too sheer for a black polish and you couldn't just do one coat. Two the minimum you need to get a deep black colour, but then when it's too thick, it looks gluggy and chips easily.

Compared to my other black polishes, it also has a tinge of like dark dark brown through it in certain lighting.

I've bought it twice and both of the bottles became a thick mess after using not even half the contents.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2008 9:37:00 PM More reviews by RockNRollRylty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like this shade :-) This is especially great for a pedicure because it's not very thick! The consistency of the formula is a bit thin and runny. Therefore, the first coat is a bit transparent and streaky, but with a second coat- voila! I prefer this over thick and gloopy polishes. Black Onyx has a gorgeous, glossy, wet vinyl look. Usually with many other OPI shades, two coats takes a while to dry, but Black Onyx dries rapidly, without smudging!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2008 11:40:00 PM More reviews by lilgraci

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this because I saw it applied on someone else and I loved that it was a perfect black creme that had a lot of shine! However, when I got my own-- I realized how GOOPY and THICK it was. Yuck.