September 16, 2014 | 2007 users online

Pressed Powders - Black Opal - Invisible Oil Blocking Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2007 3:09:00 PM More reviews by fayeonaise

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

A cheap Blot powder and it works great! Another example of "you don't need to spend alot to get a good result"! Great to use as a finishing powder to set your make up and for touch ups during the day. Does not cake, make me look ashy or disturb my colors. Truly translucent so anyone can use it! The sponge isn't my fave but you can always buy replacements for a buck at your local beauty supply store...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2007 12:51:00 PM More reviews by darbyki18

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

the newest member of my makeup bag. i'm so excited about it as it busted my oily spots with no cakiness or changing the color of my makeup. the pad provided is a little skimpy but it applied the right amount of powder to my spotsway to go black opal!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2006 12:03:00 AM More reviews by seuseu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this because I looove the perfecting powder foundation, and thought why not try the blocking powder. I hated it. It made me look unhealthy and my oils came back after 15 minutes....Will stick to Mac blotting powder

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2006 6:56:00 PM More reviews by QueenOfMyCastle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Agree w/all the positive reviews. Excellant powder for oily skin girls.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2006 6:06:00 PM More reviews by LilMsJksn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a great powder. It lasts hours and hours and does the trick. However, you need to make sure when you apply it, utilize the powder puff and really press. At first I was using this with a powder brush and it just didn't place enough product on my face. Use the pad they give you initially then for touch ups use a brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2006 3:16:00 PM More reviews by gardenia1980

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my absolute HG powder of all time!!!!!! I'm caucasian, so not Black Opal's target demographic, but hot damn is this stuff amazing!!!!! I had never heard of it before MUA and was skeptical to say the least. I have the absolute oilest skin of anyone I have ever met, and I'm 25 - not exactly a teenager anymore. Before, I would literally have to blot my face with Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing sheets like every 20 minutes to keep a matte face, my face would start to oil up within 5-10 minutes of applying foundation and powder in the morning. I even went on Accutane (as did my father) just to get a year's relief from the oil production.

Switching from the heinous L'Oreal TrueMatch foundation and powder helped only a tiny bit, and I moved to Revlon Colorstay (original) foundation, but was still using the TrueMatch powder. In the past, I've tried every cheap and expensive blotting powder known to man and NONE of them worked.

This powder, over Colorstay with SoftFlex foundation, is an absolute miracle, I swear on all I hold sacred. I totally disagree with previous reviewers who have said it doesn't keep the oil at bay much longer than other powders. For the first time in my life (aside from my foray into Accutane) I have flawless matte skin for the entire morning. I then blot VERY thoroughly with C&C sheets (going through 3 or 4). But here's where it's amazing, although of course your face will continue to produce the same amount of oil (i.e. when I do blot i still have to use a lot of sheets) you can't see it through the powder. Even when it's time to blot, it's much much much much less shiny than before. Now it's more of a glow, whereas before it would literally look like I was sweating.

I repeat the C&C blot, touch up concealer, powder - routine about 2-3 times during the day, and I have flawless matte skin the entire day. I really cannot say enough about this powder, if they ever discontinue it I will go off the deep end.

About the color, I am somewhat tanned, when I was paler it seemed a shade too dark on certain areas of my face. I now apply in a very specific way which works every time. I heavily powder/press firmly on all areas EXCEPT under the corners of my lips and the "smile line" areas. Only very very lightly on those spots, otherwise your face might look slightly mis-proportioned - hard to explain.

I then top with a very subtle blush, then matte bronzer on the forehead, temples, nose (lightly), bridge of nose, middle of chin, cheeks back to the temples, and neck. Then I top that with a pop of really bright pink blush very very lightly applied. Perfect!

This powder and the above regime looks absolutely amazing in pictures, and I am usually the most unphotogenic person roaming the planet.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2006 12:24:00 PM More reviews by zpeoples

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

HG alert! I was a MAC Blot devotee, until I dropped my compact and the powder crumbled on 2 seperate occasions!! And for this girl with the Barneys appetite but the Walgreen's pocketbook, that's a hard pill to swallow! I've had luck with Black Opal in the past and this did not disappoint! Only problem, I have a hard time finding it---so whenver I see it, I snatch it up!! (Me: MAC C7/NC45, Blot Dark) P.S. I've dropped the compact three times and it has not broken!!! RUN! Go get this!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2006 6:01:00 PM More reviews by glib_gurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is an awesome product! I discovered it on a whim at CVS . . . I was skeptical of its advertised "translucence" but for just a few bucks, I thought, "What the heck?" Well, I was pleasantly surprised - not only does this work, it works longer and better than any other oil blocking powder that I've tried - and I've tried a lot of them. This even exceeds MAC, ladies. This is a great product for a fantastic price! I just ordered 3 more compacts off the web to make sure that I have this in my personal supply for a while! Highly recommended!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2005 4:21:00 PM More reviews by masonlau

I am giving this a four for now because I only started using it two days ago. But, I have to say, I really like it! I have very, very oily skin and appears to hold the oil back pretty well--even when I start to shine a bit, it is only minimal and one touch up helps. It also has a very nice sheen to it, so it kind of sets your makeup without making you look cakey. I am very happy with this product and I can't see how I would not continue buying it. It seems it should be a staple in every woman's makeup kit. UPDATE: O.K., I hate to do this, but here is some unfortunate info about this powder: It cakes up after a certain period of time. I wore it out to a club last week (looked great), and when I got home about 6 hours later, it had caked up and crumbled on my chin where I had some mind retin-a burns. I still find this a wonderful-looking product, but I am going to limit my use to one or two light swipes per day, and then, only when absolutely necessary. Maybe I will update later. So sad.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2005 9:23:00 PM More reviews by ashantiqueen

I purchased this about 6 months ago and it came in a trio with some bronzer/shimmer and a blush. I don't know why I hadn't used it, but within the past month I've been using it religiously. This works wonderfully for me. Before using the invisible oil blocking powder I used to shine through my make-up by mid morning. This lasts for me till mid-late afternoon. I just apply with a kabuki brush( the brush that came with the package is garbage)and reapply a little in the afternoon if I'm going out after work.