July 23, 2014 | 1286 users online

Treatments - Creative Nail Design - Solar Oil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2011 12:58:00 PM More reviews by mmariecrys

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Solar Oil was all the rave years ago when I first joined MUA. I first brought the brush-on oil, then brought the tube, however the tube didnít seem as penetrating as the brush-on. Then when I learned that this is basically almond oil, I just brought a big bottle of pure sweet almond oil and refilled my SO bottle. Since then Iíve also discovered that apricot kernel oil works the best on my nails and cutes, so that is now my choice of cuticle treatment.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2011 12:05:00 PM More reviews by minyuette

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I honestly didn't see any improvement from this stuff, it smelled nice and seemed to absorb quickly but other than that I don't really see the benefit. For example I keep a tub of Burt's Bees cuticle cream in my desk at work because I get weird stink-eye looks from coworkers when I try using solar oil at work--I guess anything applied to the nail area via brush MUST be polish. So, I use the Burt's Bees at work and every time I apply the stuff my cuticle area just feels moisturized for the rest of the day. If I use solar oil I don't get that. It does however go under the nail much easier than the Burt's Bees, so I will give it that. =p

FWIW I've used almost a full bottle so far (the small size) so I've been using it but I probably won't buy it again.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2011 10:55:00 PM More reviews by hippiepippie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

What is there to say that hasn't already been said? I love, love, love this oil and keep repurchasing it over and over again! LOVE!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2011 10:03:00 PM More reviews by angelinuh

It never really occurred to me that a cuticle oil could get better than just an olive oil or coconut oil, but this is great! I bite my nails and do cut my cuticles off (I know, I know....) and this makes my nails healthier and less annoying with their dry edges. I have tried the Sallie Mae brand and nothing compares to the absorption and mosturizing quality of solar oil. The brush doesn't fray and a little goes a long way.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2011 5:43:00 AM More reviews by brownie_953

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Solar Oil is my favorite nail/cuticle oil that I've come across so far. It's easy to apply, has a pleasant smell and absorbs into the cuticles, nails (if I'm not wearing polish that day) and under the tip of the nails relatively quickly. I then rub up any excess onto my fingers and hands. I find that all I need to do is apply this once a day (for me before bed) and within a few days, I see positive results -- no stray cuticles and no dried out skin around or under the tip of my nails.

I've ordered Solar Oil on ebay where you can purchase it at reduced prices and in various sizes.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/11/2011 11:51:00 PM More reviews by JordanGalore

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Solar oil didnt do much for my nails. Its a very thin oil that absorbs fast but didnt do much to keep my cuticles moisturized. Its pricey but smells lovely and the packaging is pratical which calls for two lippies. I would not repurchase this oil because I believe that the oil(s) you usually keep in your kitchen would work just as fine. Or even vitamin e oil. I would suggest doing what the reviewer did below and make your own "solar oil".

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/24/2011 3:25:00 AM More reviews by CrimsonSmile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this due to the hype. It's okay but the fake almond/ marzipan smell is overpowering. It's a very thin oil and not well absorbed. it doesn't do that much for my cuticles and feels kinda squeeky as I massage it in.

I have OPI avoplex oil as welll and much prefer it to this. (Even neat almond oil is better). the OPI oil is thicker and more emoliant and gives a deeper softening effect, and feels much nicer to massage in.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2011 2:40:00 AM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Let me first say, that this product did work quite well for my cuticles. I wash my hands a lot and this helps keep everything soft and supple and my nails did not break as much. I thought it was the most amazing product ever, until I looked at the ingredients. I was so ashamed of myself for not doing that first. I've been trying to keep myself from spending too much money and make things myself or at least find alternatives. But this is SO EASY to make. I'm sorry to Solar Oil, but this is not worth that kind of money! I keep half those ingredients in my kitchen anyways, so I put some in an empty nail polish jar. Here's my solution. I empty out an old nail polish bottle (fill the bottle with nail polish remover, clean out extra bits with a Q-tip) and use that to store the liquid since it's helpful to "paint" it on. The I funnel:
1 tbs Sweet Almond Oil (I cook and use as moisturizer sometimes)
1 tsp Jojoba Oil (I have an teeny jar of it)
1/2 tsp Rice Bran Oil (I also use it as a base for my homemade scalp exfoliant)
3 drops Lemon Essential Oil (for smell and it's always around because I use it in my homemade cleaning products)
All in all, I think it costs me around $1 to make myself. Thanks Solar Oil for a good recipe, but I think I'll stick to making my own from now on. It's not a bad review, just a very neutral one.

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2011 3:45:00 PM More reviews by canadian

I had a manicure recently and decided to buy a mini bottle of this cuticle oil. I love it! It's kept my cuticles and outer skin moisturized, keeping the hang nails at bay. I plan on buying the larger size bottle when I'm finished.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2011 9:51:00 AM More reviews by One1Cherry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have horribly peeling skin around the sides of my nails that apparently "shocked" one of my friends enough to comment on them. I decided to "do something about it"

I got this to try after hearing a rave review somewhere. And i love it. It really works. I love the light almondy scent and the oil absorbs very quickly. It comes in a nail polish bottle with a brush that to me is quite unhygenic, all the redipping.

After sometime i stopped using it out of sheer laziness. I hate the process of brushing it on each nail and massaging it in. I much rather do that together with my hand cream than to use a separate product just for the cuticles.

This is a fantastic product if you don't mind the hassle.