November 24, 2014 | 1991 users online

Other - MAC - Mixing Medium Water Based

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2005 11:13:00 PM More reviews by fabmac1

i only have a sample of this, but so far i LOVE it!! i use it mainly for powder e/s right now and it lasts all day without creasing!!.. i was doing a 2hr hike up hill and this stuff did not BUDGE at all.. even through the heat and sweat!!.. it keeps your shadows crease free all day! and all you need is one LIGHT sweep of this on the lid.. wait for it to dry and apply e/s!! as easy as that!!.. i did get a SLIGHT stinging too, but it was tolerable, and probably cuz i wear contacts? which may make my eyes more sensitive. Great product and for $18.50CAD you get a HUGE bottle! this is a perfect primer for e/s because it's CLEAR!! woohoo!! thanks MAC! on rant tho.. i do wish it came in a SMALLER size!! i don't know if i will ever purchase the full size, since i probably won't be able to finish it in this millenium.. lol!

UPDATE: I have caved and bought the full size bottle!!! i love this product too much not to hehe

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2005 5:50:00 AM More reviews by Cara_M

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love, love, love this! Used it last night with Nars Night Porter and WOW...the colour turned out just like it appears in the pan (blackened green with green microglitter). I'm really looking forward to playing with mixing medium and all my pigments - I'm sure it's gonna become a staple tool in my evening looks!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2005 3:19:00 AM More reviews by artemisa

This stuff is great!!!
I used to apply pigments dipping the brush in a bit of water, but it didn't last through the day. After trying this, I can't imagine wearing eye makeup without a bit of the liquid! It makes shadows and pigments more brilliant.

Other reviewers said that it burnt the eye. Well, I didn't feel anything in particular, but keep in mind that there are 2 different types of mixing mediums, and one of them is alcohol based, which is not good at all for the eye area.

In Spain it's worth 27 euros in the PRO shop. But the bottle is big enough to last for a long long time!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2005 7:54:00 PM More reviews by mollypocket

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow....i am amazed this got such good reviews. On me, Mixing Medium made my eyelids all sticky and gross, and the e/s and pigments i applied very uneven. Luckily i only had a sample of this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2004 2:00:00 PM More reviews by maryam

This is the best base to use with pigments and powder eyeshadows. It applies like water and i use a brush to apply it to my lids and then wait like a minute for it to dry and then apply my shadows on top. It makes the shadow/pigment apply true to the colour and look almost wet. It's totally worth the $ because you need so little.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2004 2:28:00 AM More reviews by sher

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

MAC's Water-Based Mixing Medium is $14.50 for 50 ml (1.7 fl oz). I ordered mine from the 800 number.
Visine Tears were $8.61 for 1 fl ounce on a popular drugstore website at the time of this review; 1 fl ounce of MAC Mixing Medium, comparitively, is $8.53. The 1 fl ounce size is the bulk size, too. Most people buy the .5 fl ouce size of Visine; at the same Website, the price for this size was $6.19, bringing the cost of 1 fl ounce to $12.38! I conclude that Visine is not more cost effective, despite the common belief that it is.

I am very happy with this product. I find that it makes pigments immovable. I did an experiment where I used Visine Tears on one eye and MAC Mixing Medium on the other (I did it on two separate occasions for good measure). At the end of the day, the MAC Mixing Medium eye had not creased at all! The Visine eye had creased, but only slightly.

Another reason to love this product is that it intensifies the color payoff of the pigments. In my Visine/Mixing medium comparison, I found that mixing medium made the colors slightly more vibrant than the Visine,and this effect was especially pronounced toard the end of the day. In fact, the Visine eye faded significantly more than th mixing medium eye on both tests.
Mixing medium works great with loose pigments from other brands as well. I've used it successfully with Twisted Fayte, Bare Escentuals, and Loreal OTL pigments.

Some people have had success in making homemade mixing medium using glycerin and water (3 parts water to 1 part glycerin). See MUA-er tyleka's notepad for details. continued >>

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2004 3:04:00 AM More reviews by Christina1835

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Do not buy MAC Pigments unless you purchase some of this along with them. I originally used the pigments alone, which were still wonderful, but then purchased a sample of this stuff and used them with the pigments and was hooked. It intensifies the color and brings out every speck of color. I used the pigments by themselves again and it just wasn't the same, especially with pigments like Copper Sparkle, Blue Steel, Basic Red, etc. The only thing I can say from a negative countenance is that it doesn't make my highlighter pigments, like Vanilla, Pink Opal, and Melon look all that well. I actually prefer to use them without it because when using it with them, it makes them look gaudy and decreases the color in my opinion. I bought the large bottle of the water based because of it being safe to use around the eyes. It is also great for adhering glitters and other shadows as well. I hope it last for awhile, but with as much as I play with my make-up, probably not.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2004 2:22:00 AM More reviews by amswtr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This stuff is like Visine kicked up a notch. It has a water consistancy but when I mixed it with pigments it gives the colors a brighter appearance. It also makes them last a lot longer. I won't even wear pigments dry anymore because I like a lot of color so this is a great purchase for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2004 1:20:00 AM More reviews by bunny207

Gosh, I love this product. It looks like water in the tube, but it's not. It can change any eyeshadow into an eyeliner. I love to use it with MAC's pigments. It also intensifies the color and makes it stay put. When I mix this with a pretty opalescent eyeshadow (MAC's pigment in Melon) and apply in on the inner corners of my eyes (brightening effect) and it lasts all day. A definate must have!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2004 11:09:00 AM More reviews by Rayvenn

I love this product, although using Visine works just as well for me. I use this Mixing Medium for my pigments and eyeshadows (especially ones with Glitter, or ones that I want to make more intense). The result is creamy, long lasting, *striking* color! It's a pain to get a hold of this though, my nearest Pro Store in is NYC. The bottle is big, and you really only need a drop of this to create the beautiful effect of liquid eyeshadow or liner.