October 24, 2014 | 1705 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #231 Small Shader Brush

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2009 1:59:00 AM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I would have never even looked at this little gem if it wasn't for the beautiful Aubrey on Youtube! This is love love love!! It's really small, so it's great to get into the little areas of your eyes, like your inner corners, inner rims, or, if you're like me, in your deep creases. It's so great because it deposits colour very well and is EXCELLENT at smudging. It is infinite love and it's my little baby. :) I also really love it because even if you use dark shadow or eyeliner with it it's super easy to clean, all you have to do is wipe it well on a kleenex and all the colour will come out quickly so you don't have to worry about constantly cleaning it. I've never used it with liquid liner because I don't use liquid liner but I'm sure it's excellent for that purpose as well. Another bonus? I got this at CCOs for $13! Do NOT overlook this little brush! It's just waiting to have it's hidden talents found. :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2009 1:21:00 AM More reviews by shuppet88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Man I can't believe I overlooked this brush! I freaked out at how awesome it was when I experimented this evening. I used it for the first time in a while for the crease, and it applied product in an instant...no building up, no bajillion layers! I just never had a brush do that...I don't have a big collection of brushes, and I've been using the 242 for almost everything with eyes. I love 242 but I think I can really put 231 to use for more than just eye lining now. Actually this is due in part to other awesome MUAers who suggested that for its use. Maybe my eyelids are such that 231 works so well when I never expected it to, but hey I am not giving this one up.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2009 4:41:00 AM More reviews by Jenniferroyea

Awesome brush for lining with powder (wet or dry) and applying dark colours to the outside corner of the eye and under the eye. I don't like it for gel liners though - streaky application that you have to go over twice. But love love it for powders! I use it every day.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2009 6:29:00 PM More reviews by makeuploca

I've got to give this brush it props because I bet so many people over look this brush,by focusing on all the angled brushes. This brush came to me by accident(i tried to order it from a store, since we only have a MAC counter here)and at first I was kind of iffy about it but I decided to give it a try. I own a couple of eyeliner brushes(sonia kashuck, essence of beauty angled brush, and I've tried the mac angle brush) so i know a little about eyeliner brushes. Honestly, I feel this brush is pretty fool-proof(dare i say more fool proof than the essence of beauty). I was able to achieve a cat eye with this brush(of course im still practicing on making it look Amaaaaazing) and all in all this is a great tool for beginners who want to start out with fluidline. I was able to do fairly good with my H.I.P liner (which says a bit because h.i.p liner doesn't go on as smooth as fluidliner). I haven't discovered the other uses for this brush but i am looking around to see different ways to use this brush and i will def update if this brush does any more wonders :D

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2009 5:22:00 AM More reviews by FloraC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm one of those people that prefer lining the lower lash line and not the upper. For some reason, this looks better on me. The 231 is the perfect brush is use with fluidline for lining the lower lash line. It's tiny size gives you a lot of control. After I apply it, I always use it to smudge it out a bit so it's not as harsh. Great brush!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2009 6:29:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this brush after a you tuber indicated it was great for using with gel liners. I'm glad that I purchased this brush because it allows me to create a nice line with fluidliners. I also use this brush to apply color to my inner eye corners if I've already used my 219, or to reapply color in small areas that need a touch up. Great brush, very tiny, so it can only be used on very small eye areas.
****Update: This is also a great lip brush. Also great for applying eye shadow to the eye brow to fill them in. Great multi-use brush. I perfer the 209 for my gel liners since it appears that you need a very steady hand for applying gel liners with the 231. The 209 is a little more forgiving of mistakes than this brush.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2009 12:31:00 AM More reviews by ilurvemakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Goodbye angled brushes! Hello new HG gel liner brush! Thanks to Aubrey of Youtube (fafinettex3) I decided to give this brush a go due to her adorable reviews :) I am so so happy with this brush! I have so many angled/slanted liner brushes that I use a different one depending on how thin/thick I want my gel liner - ugh! BUT this brush does it all and it makes winging so much easier! I also love it for applying a pop of color on my tear ducts.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2009 7:15:00 PM More reviews by pink1223

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I would still be in my ignorance of this amazing brush if it weren't for MUA, so thanks again for a great find! This is THE best brush for lining with fluidlines or any gel liner. Makes it so much faster and so much easier than a fine tipped brush or a stiff angled brush. I love to do the winged-liner look, and this is perfect for the job. I can do it faster with this than with any other brush, it makes it so easy! Also really helpful for cutting the crease. But, this is my HG liner brush forever! Thrilled to have it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2009 6:35:00 PM More reviews by heathalynne

This is def a HG brush for me. Perfect straight line every time whether thick or thin, and to smoke it out. Makes application for gel eyeliners unbelievably easy for those with less steady hands, from those learning g/l to professionals. It's easy on the waterline as well. I have long lashes and most of the time, it's hard to perfect my line with thin brushes like 209 or 210 or angled brushes like 266. Not with the 231... It is faster, more precise, and easier to control. This former PRO brush is tapered flat, slightly stiff, not too wide, not soft/flimsy, and contoured evenly on both sides. Exclusive to MAC stores.

For such an underhyped brush, this is a definite MUST HAVE for your MAC fluidline, BB Ink, Stila Smudgepot, etc. The secret of fluidline. Many MA's use it, so why shouldn't we?

Also perfect with e/s AND pigments for packing in the crease and outer V work.

UPDATE: This is AMAZING with tightlining g/l and they say it's close to impossible to tightline with g/l since it's hard. Ha! 231 proves otherwise and doesn't irritate the line. (Works well with Bobbi Brown Black Ink). This is love.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2008 4:41:00 AM More reviews by Helen031

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

You get great control with this brush. Easy to use. I like this much better than 210 for gel eyeliners. I think this is the best brush for fluid lines. Will buy again.