July 28, 2014 | 2093 users online

Pressed Powders - MAC - Blot Powder - Medium

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2010 1:01:00 AM More reviews by wwidgirl

I have clear asian medium/fair skin (NC27) and I hate MAC's blot powder. I bought it online last year when MAC was giving 15% off on their website. I think it was about $25 Canadian. I used it once and hated it. I meant to return it but never gotten around to it. It's much too light for my skin which I've been told it's intended to be and it's just so obvious. HATE IT. Way too white.

It's been sitting in a drawer for several months and when I saw that this product was well reviewed I gave it another try. I still hate it but try to use it once in a while to justify the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2010 12:58:00 PM More reviews by ellie11987

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really like this product! it absorbs oil like crazy and gives a good finish to the skin. I only had too problems with mine. the first was that i bought the wrong colour! it was too light for me... it looked the right shade online but when it came it was white :( the second problem was that i thought it would be good to throw in your bag for touchups. i was wrong, i put it in my bag, took it out a couple of hours later and found it had cracked :| not good. I would buy it again though.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2010 12:44:00 PM More reviews by sabbath12385

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't know what i will do if MAC stop making this, its a great product! Absorbs oil like nothing else and never looks like you are wearing makeup, I can only assume those who have complained about this looking chalky/cakey are using the wrong shade or too much as I've never had a problem with it. The only downside is the cost, but to me its worth it

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2010 10:14:00 PM More reviews by dreagonzalez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been dying to try this powder. And once I got it, I wasn't disappointed. As usual, I threw out the powder puff it came with. I use a brush to put this on. The color is light in the pan but it doesn't show up on the skin. It also doesn't look like you are wearing any powder on your face. I love this powder! Definite HG powder.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2010 5:29:00 AM More reviews by ameliemay

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

Oh, what to say... MAC blot powder, I love you and I hate you.
I have never been medium in ANYTHING in my whole life. I'm probably an NW10, if they make that - I'm lighter than the lightest shade in nearly every brand I've ever tried. NC15, the lightest colour MAC carry, is too dark and ashy for me. So when the saleswoman told me to go with medium in the blot powder, I nearly fell over. I've wanted this powder for ages - like everyone who buys it, I'm oily: my cheeks are normal, my forehead is dry AND oily (weird, I know) but my chin and especially my nose shine like cellophane at the end of the day if I don't blot.
So, when I ran out of blotting papers, instead of going to get more for $8, I went to MAC and bought this blot powder for $30. On the website it says that it doesn't add any noticeable texture. LIES. If there is one thing I hate in makeup, it is being obvious that you're wearing it. And when I put this on, even if I dust it lightly, all I see is flat, matte powderyness. I prefer using a brush to the puff even if the oil does stay away longer with the puff, because it looks so powdery and fake if I don't use the brush. I want my oil-control powder to melt into my foundation after a while and just continue to keep away the oil.
So, to summarise:
PROS:
- keeps away oil for a very long time (5 - 6 hours on a not-so-hot Aussie day? 3 on a hot Aussie day, which is still a champion achievement. Probably wouldn't need to blot/reapply in winter)
CONS:
- makes my face itchy
- looks fake and chalky
- can cake up in areas
I should give it 3 stars, but I'm giving it 4 until I find something better. I've heard good things about Meow Cosmetics oil-control properties, and I've ordered samples of their foundation and finishing powder. Hope it works, but in the meantime...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2009 9:53:00 PM More reviews by Bambie_Blonde

This was not my best purchase from MAC, and I was so excited to try this. This product did not work for me at all. I wanted to purchase Medium/Dark but it was sold out online for a long time and settled for medium- which seemed like the right color for my NC20 skintone, however it was a tad to light, but still workable. When I apply makeup my T-zone gets oily (nothing crazy, just mild) so I waited till I applied my makeup for the day and when I got oily I blotted with oil control sheets and dusted this powder lightly on my t-zone with a powder brush. The effect was horrible, it caked up like crazy on my nose and forehead and looked so pasty- for applying so little I couldn't believe it caked up so thick and heavily. I'm not to sad though because I just found a great blotting powder for half the price, A powder I had used before but never bother using it for controlling oil. I think part of the issue was that the color wasn't a definite match for my skintone. I may try the medium dark in the near future, but most likely not since I found something I'm happy with. I'm glad this worked for other people- make sure you get the right color match!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2009 11:36:00 AM More reviews by solyacska

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff is THE BEST oil control powder on the market. And believe me, I've tried them all from Rimmel Stay Matte to Estee Lauder Aeromatte. I have combination skin and my forehead basically repels makeup. I use EL Double Wear and even that starts to saturate with oil and slide off after 3-4 hours.

I apply MAC Blot with a large kabuki brush after my foundation has dried. I sweep it on and work it into the foundation by buffing in large circles. A few minutes later I can basically FEEL how it sucks out all oil from my face and makeup.

It doesn't just sit on my face looking ugly and cakey like most oil-control powders. It melts into my foundation and absorbs oil like no other. The look it gives is definitely matte but not flat and mask-like in any way.

The consistency is very finely milled and silky. The colours run quite light though - I'm an NC20 and Medium leaves a very slight whitish cast on my skin, nothing horrible though. It doesn't interfere with the colour of my foundation at all.

I just love this stuff, with its pretty black-silver compact and cute (and completely useless) puff and everything. I feel a lot more confident about my face since I've been using it. No more foundation transfer, smearing, oil slickness, oxidizing and gross caking up. I'll repurchase - something I've never done with an oil-control powder so far.

EDIT: I hit pan on this in less than 3 weeks and I only use it like twice a day, not very cost-effective :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2009 11:22:00 AM More reviews by murphy817

THANK YOU MUA!! I bought this in medium and it does the job and looks nice. Also, I love that MAC included a puff too! This is another MAC purchase that was a hit for me. Thanks you all for the recs!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2009 7:21:00 AM More reviews by TAiON

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

My best impulse buy to date, I will buy this over and over again even though the price ($21) is ridiculous.

I love how it mattifies my face enough without making it look chalky. I get oily around the 4th hour, always the same with any foundation I've tried, and this is the only blot powder that maintains the shine-control well into the evening.

I absolutely reccomend this =)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2009 9:46:00 AM More reviews by hair_junkie

Fist off, Let me start by saying that I am 46 years old and have had very oily skin since I was preteen. My skin is so oily that I have never been able to use a liquid foundatin because it would just "slide" off. I have used Estee Lauder double wear powder foundation for years (HG). Blot powder is simply genius, I wish it had been around when I was much younger. I still use my estee lauder powder for foundation, and then lightly dust blot powder on with a big fluffy brush. I love it! It keeps me shine free for hours. I usually only re-apply once during my 8 hr work day. This truly is a product that I cannot live without. For reference, I have fair skin with pink undertones, and the sa at Mac matched me up with Medium, usually in all powders I am light, but this is perfect.