November 26, 2014 | 1650 users online

Cleansers - Vichy - Calming Cleansing Solution

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2008 12:02:00 PM More reviews by hoku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall: 4

Price: 4

Packaging: 3

Buy again: yes

I bought this product in 2008, finished it in 2009, and then I haven't used it since... until earlier this summer (2011) when I was starting to have skin issues again! Conventional water/foaming cleansers were leaving my skin irritated, stripped, and dry. I bought it at Shoppers Drugmart for $24 for the 400 mL pump bottle. They seem to keep renaming this product to either "Cleansing Micellar Solution" or "Calming Cleansing Micellar Solution". Hmm.

Anyway, this stuff works just like it did before; I put about 3-4 pumps on a large square cotton pad and wipe all over my face and it removes everything - makeup (BB cream, powder, blush, eyeliner), sunscreen, oil... all of it. And my skin doesn't feel stripped or dry. The smell is pleasant, and my skin doesn't feel sticky either. I've been using it for about 3 months (on and off for the first 2, daily for the most recent month) and I haven't experienced any breakouts (I use this now instead of any other cleansers).

I am about 60% done the bottle. I've gotten about 60 uses out of it so far (going by cotton pad count), so that's "ok". I would repurchase, but I just wish it was cheaper! Definitely need to watch for sales...

I have revamped my review of this product because I looooove it... so you can read my old review below if you wish.

-----------------------------------------

[OLD REVIEW - 06/08/2008]

Overall: 4

Price: 4

Packaging" 3

Buy again: no

-------------

I bought this product last month because my skin went nuts on me and I needed something super-gentle. I bought the 400 mL pump bottle for $18 on sale, but normally it is $24. to me, paying that amount of money for a cleanser is unreasonable, but I was desperate at the time, so that's the 4 rating.

Packaging:

It comes in 400 mL or 200 mL bottles-- 200 mL is in a regular bottle with a flip lid, the 400 mL has a pump. I find that the pump is very messy, because as you press down on it, the liquid goes everywhere.

Performance:

It did was it was supposed to; it removed my powder makeup and did make my skin feel calm and smooth. However, I think I could've gotten the same results by using a lot of toner instead. Sometimes, I'll use Vichy Purete Thermale Calming Cleansing Solution as a toner, after my regular cleanser, so it could be used as such. I find that I need to go over my face with 3 pumps of this stuff, so it;s not the cheapest option out there.

I would not repurchase just because I think it is over-priced for it's purpose and function. I'm sticking with Garnier Fresh Clarifying Toner next time!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2007 8:27:00 AM More reviews by Catherine1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this to remove makeup before my regular cleanser and I am obsessed. I have been using this product consistently for 2 years, since moving from the US to Prague. Previously I was using Dior Cleansing Water, which I loved but was very expensive. Vichy's version is about $18 for 300 ml. It's extremely gentle and removes all of my makeup effectively. I do agree with the other posters that it won't remove all of your eye makeup (it doesn't remove my smoky eyes) so I use a separate eye m/u remover for that. Overall I prefer Vichy over Avene and La Roche Posay, the other high-end skincare lines available in Prague.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2007 5:50:00 PM More reviews by babybehn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am giving this a 5 because it has not done anything horrible to my face yet. I am living in Alberta and since moving have developed a condition that looks a lot like rosacea (no diagnosis yet). I have very sensitive skin when it comes to fragrance and it's so dry and the water is so hard my cheeks get dry, itchy and red. I was using Lise Watier balancing cleansing milk which stung my skin. I was red with bumpy cheeks, I have used this for about 2 weeks and seen a big improvement. I try not to get hot water on my face in the bath and shower as well and use cliniderm lotion in the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2007 12:45:00 PM More reviews by jetfan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

really nice way to remove everything from your face, soothing, and does not strip. I love this. Does not irritate, cause breakouts, and my face feels fresh and clean and glowey after this, not dry and tight.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2007 1:21:00 PM More reviews by ze_newie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

HG. I saw this huge 400ml bottle for sale for $24.95 at London Drugs and I though it was a good deal considering the bottle is so big. The writing on the package sounded too good to be true, "takes off eye makeup without rubbing"?? Even with dedicated eye makeup remover I'd always end up rubbing and with a black mess around my eyes. This removes all my makeup without a trace with one or two pumps. I did the "toner test" afterwards and it came back clean. Thumbs up! Will definitely repurchase. It's cheaper than buying those pre-moistened cleansing cloths and it works better and my skin feels like there's absolutely nothing left on it afterwards.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2007 11:54:00 PM More reviews by AllAboutMe83

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

Took my makeup and mascara off very gently and effectively.
Its a great product especially when I come home very late from a night out and I dont feel like washing my face I use 2 cotton rounds and its all off and Im ready for bed............better than going to bed with my makeup on........ooooppppsssssssss it happens once in a while.......
Im in love with this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2007 9:21:00 PM More reviews by audge723

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This works great for removing eye makeup and lipstick. I am on my first bottle but would definetly buy another when I run out . I used it tonight for the first time to try and remove my tinted moisterizer and blush, bronzer and the cotton pad took it all off. I than followed up with my regular skinceutical cleanser and I felt clean. Hopefully it wont dry me out on my cheeks. I have been using it for months now on my eyes and its really great stuff for anyone with sensitive eyes like myself.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2007 2:08:00 PM More reviews by kasiaz

i love this product:) Not only does it remove makeup like an eraser, it improved my skin tone. After a few days of using this, everyone was telling me how my face was glowing (when wearing no makeup) and it made my face feel so fresh and soft. I'm addicted:)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2007 2:06:00 PM More reviews by Schnarpsel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wow! When I bought this, I was a wee-bit skeptical. I usually use a bar cleanser because I love to rinse with water, so this was a risk to buy for me.

I was very pleasantly surprised though! This cleanser actually feels like water, very refreshing and non-sticky (one of the things why I hate cleansing milks is that they feel sticky). But the best feature is that The Calming Cleansing Solution actually cleanses exceptionally well. Who would have thought! I normally test the effectiveness of a cleanser by using the Clinique No. 2 toner afterwards to remove makeup residue that the cleanser didn't catch. However, the cotton ball stayed clean - there simply was nothing to remove. On top of that, it is very gentle and non-irritating, also when used on the eyes, and does not require rubbing - mere wiping is enough. I'd say Vichy created a winner here!

The reason why I gave 4 instead of 5 stars is only because I think it is a relatively expensive product considering that one pretty much has to saturate a cotton ball in order to get the job done. Other than that: Love it and will buy again!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2007 2:11:00 PM More reviews by tangoveay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very useful product that cleans the face gently and effectively. I use it in order to remove my daily make-up and balance the oil on my face. You can also apply it the the eyes. Causes no irritations.