April 16, 2014 | 1442 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 10/27/2012 11:46:00 AM More reviews by iulichik

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I really don't understand all this hype for Laura Mercier Powder.... I bought it because of the great reviews, and since I have very dry eye area, with blue-greenish dark circles - it just emphasizes all mentioned above!!! not happy at all! I will stick to my super cheap e.l.f. under-eye setting powder :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2012 7:48:00 AM More reviews by DaniDeelish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a brightening powder made to set your under eye concealer.
****PROS****
1. This powder sets your under eye concealer and keeps it on all day
2. A little of this powder goes a VERY long way. Just get a tiny bit on your brush, tap off any access and then apply. Use less than you think you'll need.
3. It does brighten your under eye area. If your concealer is a little too dark, this will lighten it a little and make it brighter
4. This powder doesn't set in to fine lines, dry or cake as much as every other (refer to cons below)
5. Is pretty reasonably priced considering it will lst you a long time!
6. The little jar is handy for traveling and storing
7. Comes in 2 shades; 1 and 2. I have #1 (I am NC15)
8. One reason I like to use this powder, is to stop my mascara from transfering on to my under eye area. Whenever I put concealer on under my eyes, and then put mascara on, the mascara always leaves black smudges under my eyes (because the oils and moisture in my concealer causes the mascara to smudge). This Laura Mercier Powder stops my mascara from transferring on to my under eye are (not just this powder, any powder will do the trick).
****CONS****
1. Now, this is still a powder. Even though I said that this 'doesn't set in to fine lines, dry or cake as much as every other powder does', it still does do those things! It's a powder! What is a powder supposed to do, if you think about it? Absorb access oils and moisture, etc. This is still a powder. So it will absorb access moisture under your eye, causing it to dry and crease. Less than other powders, but still. If you think about it, all anti-aging foundations or foundations for mature skin are moisturizing and dewy instead of being drying and oil absorbing, because wrinkles and fine lines are less visible when the skin is moisturized and hydrated rather than dry. So the drier the skin (and any powder including this one will make your skin drier), the more your fine lines will be visible. When I just put this powder on, it looks flawless and creaseless and amazing. As the day goes on, it does crease and dry my under eye area out (I know because I tested this stuff out under one eye but not under the other). This doesn't crease as much because it contains silica I think (which helps it not crease)
2. You can see little shimmer particles in the powder. Some people say that the shimmer in this powder is so finely milled that you can't see the shimmer particles, but you definitely can. If you look closely, under sunlight after you apply this powder, you can see little shimmers. So it's not just a glow, it's shimmer (I would prefer more of just the glow rather than the shimmer particles)
3. This powder is white and contains silica, so be careful not to apply too much under your eyes or it will flash back white (like the makeup forever HD powder, just not as extreme as that one). Only use a tiny bit of this powder!
****APPLICATION TIPS****
1. I use the brush that Laura Mercier recommends for this (the camouflage powder brush or something). It looks like a mini foundation brush. It's the perfect size and shape for your under eye area
2. Apply this powder RIGHT AFTER you apply your under eye concealer. Do not do the rest of your face/eyes first, put on your under eye concealer, smooth out any fine lines that are visible (I do this with the beauty blender), and pat this powder on. I find if I wait to put this powder on, my under eye area is much drier looking than if I put this on straight away
3. While the jar is closed, turn the Jar upside down once (so that powder goes on to the lid). Then turn it the right way, and tap the lid (so that access powder falls back in to the main jar.
4. With your brush (and I do recommend a brush for this), get a tiny bit of powder from the lid (so that you don't get too much).
5. Then tap off any access powder (just tap your brush against the lid a couple of times so that the access powder falls back in to the lid). This will ensure that you don't use too much powder.
6. This is optional, but I also like to pat the brush with the side of the powder a couple of times on the back of my hand (to further get rid of any access powder)
7. When applying this powder, PAT it on. Do not sweep or blend.
8. Start applying it in the area where you have the least amount of fine lines/wrinkles. I recommend starting on the outer corner of your under eye area (part near your temples) You want to apply the least amount of product near your inner corners and around that part of your eye as you want that to be as non cakey and non dry as possible. (when someone looks in to your eyes, they will see the inner part of your eye more than the outer). So start applying on the outer corner and work your way to the inner corners
This gives the best result for me(and I have tried a lot of ways)
****BOTTOM LINE****
I still gave this powder 4 stars because it works better than any other powder I have ever used under my eyes (I have tried loose powder, translucent powder, pressed powders, powder foundations etc.)Everything looks FAR, FAR worse under my eyes than this does. I'm not stupid, I realize that this is a powder, and despite being made for under your eyes and despite being brightening, it will still do what powders were invented to do. So as far as a powder goes, this does deserve 4 stars in terms of being a great under eye powder! I don't use this stuff too often because I use a waterproof concealer under my eyes, so I don't necessarily need my under eye concealer to last longer. I probably would re-purchase it, just because if I ever switch concealers or need to use a powder under my eyes (maybe if I don't use such a long wearing concealer), this is the only powder I will ever turn to. I recommend it to anyone who has troubles with their concealer lasting. I think it would work better for people with oily skin rather than dry skin though. If you need an under eye powder, try this. Just keep in mind th

17 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2012 12:57:00 PM More reviews by crystallineteddy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For the past couple of years, I've started wearing makeup daily to work and this has really been my HG in combination with LM secret concealer. An under-eye concealer alone does not do nearly as good of a job at brightening. With this powder, I can at least "pretend" to look the way I did a few years ago (before aging/lack of sleep/stress at work got to me). Considering the generous size (esp given its use in under eye area), it's a fairly reasonably priced product.

I'm not a huge fan of the packaging -- they could prob do more to prevent too much product from coming out the little holes to the top half, esp when we have to carry it when traveling -- but I understand this is the standard loose powder packaging...

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2012 1:31:00 PM More reviews by sharonsevea

Absolutely love how this product sets my concealer no matter how much concealer I am wearing. When worn over the concealer it gives a flawless finish and it looks like you are not wearing any concealer at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2012 2:58:00 PM More reviews by ManhattanMermaid

This is the ONLY thing I will use to set my clients under eye concealer. It's the only powder that doesn't make the skin look crepey. It absolutley does not highlight wrinkles, it softly diffuses the light and makes the skin appear smoother. It also prevents the concealer from moving around. This is something I will keep in my kit until they stop making it (God forbid).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by MakeupJunkie77

I just bought my 3rd one of the #2 powder. I don't think I can use anything else to set my under eye concealer. The sifter is tricky because it dispenses a whole lot of product when you only need a teeny bit. To apply, I use a fluffy brush to pat it on and then sweep off any excess to avoid it from settling in my fine lines.
It definitely does brighten the eye area and doesn't flash back stark white in photos. The price is fair because one jar will last for about a year with everyday use. Totally worth it, IMO.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2012 2:36:00 AM More reviews by gagag

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Can't live without this. Its light-reflecting properties and finely-milled consistency make this one of the most versatile products in my arsenal. I use this to set undereye concealer - works better than Powderflage, which can cake at times - as well as an understated highlighter on my cheekbones. This contains no shimmer, no glitter, no shine; it just reflects light. It reminds me of granules of sand at the beach, except it's obviously not as coarse and it's white. The white color is virtually undetectable upon application, but it literally performs as the title suggests: it brightens. After I apply just a dab of concealer to the very darkest areas beneath my eye, I use the pointed end of a dry BeautyBlender to lightly press the Brightening Powder into the concealer to set and brighten. Then I use the larger end of the BeautyBlender to very lightly dust away whatever excess product remains for a totally flawless application. This is the only product and method I've found that lasts throughout the day while completely eradicating the look of undereye puffiness. Doesn't dry my skin and seems to blur my fine lines. And you know that awful magnetic force that pulls eyeliner to concealer? Not here. The Secret Brightening Powder forms some kind of impenetrable barrier over concealer. It's the only undereye product I can count on to stay put, even sitting alongside black eyeliner. There's nothing else like this stuff.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2012 3:09:00 PM More reviews by lwaine

At first I didnt understand the hype when using this product but I have found when using it to set concealer under my eyes it works perfectly! I usually suffer from make up setting in the fine lines underneath my eyes but this stops it from happening completely. I sweep a small amount under my eyes only and then brush a pressed powder over the top and it lasts all day. Has a lovely light texture and although it initially looks scarily white it does blend in to be practically invisible!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2012 9:38:00 PM More reviews by alexandrascar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love this powder to set my concealer. I hate that they don't sell #2 at Sephora now and I have to go really out of my way to buy it at Nordstrom now. I've tried #1 and I currently have it and it also sets my concealer beautifully. However, it can kinda give a weird reverse raccoon look in pictures if you are heavy-handed with it. Even though it is expensive, a little goes a long way and it will last you forever. I've had mine for six months and I not even half way through.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2012 8:34:00 AM More reviews by lc15

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Although, this is a bit pricey, I will definitely buy it again! I use it under my eyes and down the center of my nose and it gives such a subtle healthy glow. Stays on my face all day and doesn’t settle into fine lines or look chalky. I had used another Brightening powder from Target but this one is so much better and worth every penny!