Revlon Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit [DISCONTINUED]

4.3

Frosting Powder: Potassium Persulfate , Sodium Metasilicate , Sodium Stearate , Sucrose , Sodium Persulfate , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Silicate , Silica , Hydrated Silica , EDTA , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Ultramarines (CI 77007) , Cream Developer: Aqua (Water) , Hydrogen Peroxide , Cetearyl Alcohol , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Cyclopentasiloxane , Trimethylsiloxysilicate , Amodimethicone , C11-15 Pareth-7 , Laureth-9 , Trideceth-12 , Glycerin , Ceteareth-20 , Steareth-10 Allyl Ether , Acrylates Copolymer , Disodium Phosphate , Phosphoric Acid , EDTA , Methylparaben , After Highlighting Shampoo: Aqua (Water) , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide MEA , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Hydrolyzed Silk , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Retinyl Palmitate , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium C14-17 Alkyl SEC Sulfonate , Stearamine Oxide , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , PEG-23M , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Chloride , Citric Acid , Tetrasodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Parfum (Fragrance) , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Limonene , Amyl Cinnamal , Yellow 5 (CI 19140) , Red 4 (CI 14700) , Red 33 (CI 17200) , Yellow 6 (CI 15985) , After Highlighting Conditioner: Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Linoleamidopropyl Dimethylamine Dimer Dilinoleate , Stearyl Alcohol , Cetyl Alcohol , Panthenol , Panthenyl Ethyl Ether , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Amodimethicone , Diisostearoyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate , Isostearyl Glycolate , Triisostearyl Citrate , Diisostearyl Malate , Isostearyl Lactate , Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Ceteareth-20 , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Trideceth-12 , Cetrimonium Chloride , Parfum (Fragrance) , Isopropyl Alcohol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Amyl Cinnamal , Citric Acid , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

on 3/2/2014 7:55:00 AM

I've been highlighting my hair for over 10 years and have probably tried most products on the market with more or less good results. This is by far the worst.
I have dark brown, fine, wavy, shiny hair that takes about 20-25 minutes of highlighting to get nice golden-blonde highlights. I hardly ever use a hair iron and only highlight about every 2 to 3 months, so my hair is in great condition. I left Revlon Frost & Glow in for over 40 minutes without much success. The shade is a dark orange-brown even though it looked lighter covered in highlighter cream. I could have lived with the result (or lack thereof) but what made me want to write an honest review is that my hair is now dry and coarse with no shine and it looks like it'll take a long time to get it back to its previous condition. The non-brassy agent might be a good idea but it's nothing you can't buy for less than five quid in any department store.
I will not repurchase and will not recommend.

on 2/18/2014 4:01:00 PM

I absolutely love this product! Is was my first time highlighting so I was skeptical about the results. The cap was really difficult to use but then I got the hang of it and it became very simple. I only left in the product for 15 mins and it looks great! Next time around i'll keep it in for a little longer. My hair feels healthy (I used extra conditioner and leave in conditioner) i will definitely buy this product again.

This is the best, absolutely fool proof, at-home highlighting kit ever! I've used all three varieties countless times with no issues. In fact, the only "issue" I've had was not leaving the bleach in long enough, but that was my faulty bathroom clock's fault, not the kit. I've never had to use more than one kit at a time, even when doing a full head (pulling hair through every single hole) on my extremely thick hair. This kit is an incredible value- I get great results myself for only $7 instead of $70 at a salon. Yes, the cap and hook technique is a bit tedious, but soooo worth it. As long as you follow the directions and take your time, you'll love the results!

on 2/9/2014 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I've never had any luck with at home hair coloring so I was very skeptical about trying this highlighting kit. After reading all the good reviews, I decided to go ahead and try it. Seriously, my hair looks EXACTLY like how I get it done at the salon. Perfectly even blonde highlights that blend in with my light brown hair! I don't think I could justify paying all that money professionally when I could just pay around 8 bucks and get the same result. If anything, I like it better! It looks so much more natural and subtle and I love how you have the option of where you want your highlights. It's a fool proof highlighting kit that I definitely would recommend to anyone!!

on 12/31/2013 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

My hair could be described as medium brown, maybe even light brown. I used the honey highlighting kit. I love what this did to my hair! Here I'll review the process and my results overall.

The application process was easy enough, though the cap part could be tricky. I first poked holes in the cap all around, only in the circled spots. This way when the cap went on my head, it would be a lot easier to grab hair. After doing that, I put the cap on my head and took hooks of hair and pulled that through the cap. I recommend working from the lowest part of your head upwards because that made it so minimal hair fell onto my face as I was working. If hair does fall onto your face, you can always clip it up on top of your head. The hook is a little tricky, but you get the hang of it after the first few successful hairs. The back of your head is hard, but if you face two mirrors at one another you can see what you're doing, which I managed to do successfully. After the cap, applying the bleach is a breeze! Just paint it on. I gobbed it on with my fingers pretty much, haha! Then you put the included plastic over it and wait about an hour. To be safe, I waited 55 minutes. After, you hop into the shower and use the included shampoo and conditioner on your hair. My hair feels hardly damaged at all, interestingly! I expected a lot worse.

As long as you mix it all together, you can't really go wrong. The bleach ends up looking blue, which is good because the blue cancels out any orange you may have from the bleach, leaving you with blonde streaks! I say blonde, but on me they came out very caramel. It's fitting and goes well with my medium brown, but they're all over so my head looks a lot lighter overall.

I was nervous about the cap application and the placement of my streaks, but they came out totally awesome! it's nice they're not so chunky like foils would be so they look way more natural.

The next time I highlight my hair, I will be using this product for sure. No salon treatment beats 11 dollars with hardly any damage :) Not to mention it comes out incredibly well!

on 11/16/2013 4:35:00 PM

I originally heard about this product from youtuber Kalynxo13, and immediately, I wanted to try it out on myself. I originally had ash blonde/light brown hair with faded blonde highlights from a few months ago which, by the way, costed me nearly $150 JUST for highlighting and a trim. Crazy! I used the blue box for blonde color on my hair and wow, I fell in love. It took me quite some time to get the hair through the hole but in the end, I was very pleased with the color. This is by far my go-to highlighting product. I plan on using the blonde box for a few more months to touch up my roots and continue adding lightness to my hair, then I'll move onto the purple box for platinum color and do the same. Overall, A+!

on 11/10/2013 12:52:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Wow. No more salon visits for touching up my ombré for $$$$!!!! I didn't use the cap. Just pulled small individual strands and colored them. Left on for 45 min which wasn't long enough. Next time I'll do 60! Color is amazing. I'm sold.

on 11/7/2013 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I never though one could actually do at-home highlights and make it look nice, but damn — this product is good!
It has amazing tools in it, and foolproof instructions, anyone could learn how to use the kit! I love it and will definitely repurchase this product.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

this is hands down the best drugstore coloring kit I have ever used. I've been using this for all over color on my top layer and it comes out AMAZING. I used it once for over all and it came out a perfect, pretty blonde color. Now, I just use it to do my roots and it matches and blends so well. I even used this kit to add blonde highlights two weeks after I had gone chocolate brown at one point. This is my go to hair kit everytime. I have naturally dark blonde/light brown hair and I use the kit with the blonde short haired girl, lol. it works wonders. I definitely recommend this product and will continue to buy it. I actually have a kit sitting on my desk and , I will be using it tonight to get my pretty, light blonde color back. nothing beats such pretty salon like color for only $7!

Only downer is the packaging is always a little rough, and loose.

on 8/14/2013 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

The SAME package from the 1990's, maybe 1980's? WHO CARES! I love this stuff and it is the ONLY thing I use to highlight my hair. I remember drooling after the girls in middle/high school who had this done to their hair. But, I never had the nerve to ask how/where they got it. Then one day by happenstance, I went over to a friends house and she just did her hair, and had the same effect as the girls at school! She showed me what she used and I have been using it ever since! It gives you a nice, non-brassy blond that blends super well! My friend had very dark brown hair, and I have dark blond, and it worked great on both of us!

I will say like many other reviewers that it does take some practice to get the "pulling the hair through the cap" thing down. The trick is to go slow and take your time. If you pull too much through, you can either push the hook up inside the cap and pull the hair back, or just take the cap off and start over. (The less experienced should do the latter).

I use this every spring AT LEAST, and will until they stop making it (heaven forbid!)