October 1, 2014 | 2021 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Eye Basics

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2009 6:21:00 PM More reviews by Meritorious

You can't fool me. This is a concealer.

I had this in Linen when it first came out in the round tube form w/ doefoot applicator and I initially used it as it was demonstrated to me by the SA at Sephora-- as an eyelid primer and / or cream shadow in one. It was fine. Great. No problems.
BUT
one day I was fishing around in my purse for a touch-up to my undereye area and could not find my usual concealer. Desperate and in a hurry, I grabbed this and dotted a bit under my eyes and hoped for the best while I gently patted in. It looked pretty good. I self-consciously looked in the mirror later on because I felt strange with eyeshadow UNDER my eyes but it was holding tough. In fact, I thought, It's not creasing very much. EUREKA MOMENT! If it is designed to minimize creasing on my eyelid, why wouldn't it do the same thing under my eyes? Answer: It does.

Now, I know this is not the intended purpose of this product and I know it is not specifically formulated for the undereye area and caution, warning, disclaimer... but this is one of the best concealers I have ever used. I am 40 years old and this face has used a truckload of concealers. This one is light and dries to an opaque film which means it does not stay creamy under my eyes and therefore does not allow the product to slip into lines very much (which LM pot and BB corrector do). It comes in some of the most natural skin shades I have seen (which is more than I can say for a lot of products that are supposed to be concealers!). It is so light-feeling (but not sheer-- it is highly pigmented) that I even use it on my face-- red spots, discoloration, etc. before the LM Mineral Foundation. I know-- that's probably sacrilege too and a complete bastardization of the intended use of this product. But, seriously, how many of us have tried Prep. H for undereye puffiness, Monistat 'primers', Milk of Magnesia masks, etc.? And I say Thumbs Up for Multitasking!

This has replaced my HG L'Oreal Airwear in Pale that was discontinued. Well, actually, the LM Basics new shade "Cotton" has replaced it. "Cotton" is lighter and more yellow than "Linen" but I still buy both because I need to sometimes combine or switch between the more yellow "Cotton" and the more pinky neutral "Linen".

Now, a bit of a warning. I can usually touch up with just a little tap of my ring finger over the undereye area (without any more concealer). I sometimes need to add a little more of the Eye Basics if it has been a long day. However, if you set your concealer with powder, it might be difficult for you to add more concealer later in the day without caking. I find that if I use this, I don't need to set with a powder so if/when I need a touch-up it is no problem to add a little dot more.

I've attached five pics, so click on "continued" to see them.

1. my right eye, completely naked (!)

2. my eye with the LM "Cotton" Eye Basics blended on lid and undereye

3. my usual every day eye look completed (LM in Stellar w/ MAC Patina in crease, NYX Long Lash Doll Eye mascara)

4. same as 3 above but with the flash

5. for comparison, tubes of "Cotton" (left) and "Linen" (right)
continued >>

50 out of 51 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2009 2:27:00 PM More reviews by ahwindc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like the coverage this product provides, and find that my eye shadow stays in place without creasing. As another commenter noted, this product does not go on well when you use the applicator. The Laura Mercier sales people said you definitely should not apply with the applicator -- use a finger or brush instead. I find that a concealer brush or a cream eye shadow brush works well. LM really should sell the product in a pot or tube.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2009 8:04:00 AM More reviews by Amandaa

This product is GREAT as eyeshadow base, it makes my eyeshadows last forever in my lids, i have in two shades and it is so far the best eye primer i ever used!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/26/2009 8:14:00 PM More reviews by LynnMichelle

I bought this in Cotton and Eyebright to use as a lid base, Cotton (yellowy beige) for warm colors and the Eyebright ( light blue) for cool shades. I wish the consistency of the product was thicker and had more coverage. I can still see the purply color of my eyelids after I apply. I will use up what I have but I will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2009 2:27:00 PM More reviews by cdesla1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is fabulous. I have fair skin and extremely discolored eye lids and this wipes them out completely and makes me look so awake. My HG product for this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2009 10:57:00 PM More reviews by liz91

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I got a sample of this in the color Buff after placing a Laura Mercier order. I bought Flax at Sephora because I wanted to try a lighter color. It has a sponge-tip applicator, but a lot of product comes out on it, so you have to thin it out on the lid with a brush. I bought this because I wanted to eliminate the step of using a brush to apply primer, and I'm having to use a brush anyway. For that reason, this is only getting 3 lippies. My Benefit F.Y.Eye and MAC paints do a much better job and get 5 lippies, and they prevent creasing. The Laura Mercier creases.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2009 5:56:00 PM More reviews by Zoey223

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When I first tried this, I was intrigued. I don't wear eye shadow every day, but when I do, I want to avoid creasing and smearing. I got the Eye Basics in Cotton (for reference I am NC 25).

I tried it with the applicator a few times and was frustrated with the results. It went on gloppy and thick and was too light for my coloring. I gave up on it for a while, and threw it in my reject box.

Then I was watching a tutorial on neutral eyes and saw that the MA was using a brush to apply eye primer. So this morning I used a clean concealor brush and used a very small amount and blended it in. I was very impressed with the results - the color is still quite light, but the consistency and coverage was perfect. After I applied my eyeshadows, my eyes looked great! The primer was unnoticeable, and 6 hours later, my eyeshadow is still vibrant, fresh and unsmeared. No oiliness.

Also, I used just a tiny-teensy bit on my orbital bone area, and that really helped to open my eye.

I'll be using this everytime I wear shadow - it makes all the difference!

And I will NOT use the applicator again - what a waste. This would be a much better product if it were packaged in a tube to control the amount. I have a feeling I'll be scraping at the end eventually.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2009 5:30:00 PM More reviews by penelopeespana

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am NC 20 with very red eyelids & have this in Cotton, a sheer lemony shade. It totally covers up the red and gives a nice, cream-colored base over which I can add any shade of eyeshadow. I preferred this to Linen because the Linen had a bit more pink to it. I don't get creasing at all with this, and my e/s lasts all day. Total HG.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/7/2009 2:14:00 PM More reviews by zmarina

I used Eye Basics in Pink, it gets completely blended with my lids and invisible before application of shadows, which is the only reason I gave it 2 stars. It is cold outside so I don't know about creasing yet. I was unpleasantly surprised that this product makes my eye shadows look dull. All frosty (YSL, Chanel) or metallic (Bobbi Brown) shadows loose luster. I just finished a pot of Guerlain's primer and the same shadows looked gorgeous with it. I also used Trish McEvoy's primer and liked it much more than Laura Mercier's. I agree with one of the posts that I still have to get impressed with this line. Tinted moisturizer is probably the only thing that I would rate better than just OK.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2009 4:18:00 AM More reviews by tiffanyck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i just hate this product...it creases so easily n looks weird...i wont buy it again..just a waste of money
update
i found it after 6 months while cleaning my makeup storage n used it properly n liked it..colour is too light for me but i use it under my light eye shadows n they really show well..m planning to buy it in another shade to wear it alone..