July 24, 2014 | 1795 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Eye Basics

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2009 8:04:00 AM More reviews by Amandaa

This product is GREAT as eyeshadow base, it makes my eyeshadows last forever in my lids, i have in two shades and it is so far the best eye primer i ever used!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/26/2009 8:14:00 PM More reviews by LynnMichelle

I bought this in Cotton and Eyebright to use as a lid base, Cotton (yellowy beige) for warm colors and the Eyebright ( light blue) for cool shades. I wish the consistency of the product was thicker and had more coverage. I can still see the purply color of my eyelids after I apply. I will use up what I have but I will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2009 2:27:00 PM More reviews by cdesla1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is fabulous. I have fair skin and extremely discolored eye lids and this wipes them out completely and makes me look so awake. My HG product for this!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2009 10:57:00 PM More reviews by liz91

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I got a sample of this in the color Buff after placing a Laura Mercier order. I bought Flax at Sephora because I wanted to try a lighter color. It has a sponge-tip applicator, but a lot of product comes out on it, so you have to thin it out on the lid with a brush. I bought this because I wanted to eliminate the step of using a brush to apply primer, and I'm having to use a brush anyway. For that reason, this is only getting 3 lippies. My Benefit F.Y.Eye and MAC paints do a much better job and get 5 lippies, and they prevent creasing. The Laura Mercier creases.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2009 5:56:00 PM More reviews by Zoey223

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When I first tried this, I was intrigued. I don't wear eye shadow every day, but when I do, I want to avoid creasing and smearing. I got the Eye Basics in Cotton (for reference I am NC 25).

I tried it with the applicator a few times and was frustrated with the results. It went on gloppy and thick and was too light for my coloring. I gave up on it for a while, and threw it in my reject box.

Then I was watching a tutorial on neutral eyes and saw that the MA was using a brush to apply eye primer. So this morning I used a clean concealor brush and used a very small amount and blended it in. I was very impressed with the results - the color is still quite light, but the consistency and coverage was perfect. After I applied my eyeshadows, my eyes looked great! The primer was unnoticeable, and 6 hours later, my eyeshadow is still vibrant, fresh and unsmeared. No oiliness.

Also, I used just a tiny-teensy bit on my orbital bone area, and that really helped to open my eye.

I'll be using this everytime I wear shadow - it makes all the difference!

And I will NOT use the applicator again - what a waste. This would be a much better product if it were packaged in a tube to control the amount. I have a feeling I'll be scraping at the end eventually.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2009 5:30:00 PM More reviews by penelopeespana

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am NC 20 with very red eyelids & have this in Cotton, a sheer lemony shade. It totally covers up the red and gives a nice, cream-colored base over which I can add any shade of eyeshadow. I preferred this to Linen because the Linen had a bit more pink to it. I don't get creasing at all with this, and my e/s lasts all day. Total HG.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/7/2009 2:14:00 PM More reviews by zmarina

I used Eye Basics in Pink, it gets completely blended with my lids and invisible before application of shadows, which is the only reason I gave it 2 stars. It is cold outside so I don't know about creasing yet. I was unpleasantly surprised that this product makes my eye shadows look dull. All frosty (YSL, Chanel) or metallic (Bobbi Brown) shadows loose luster. I just finished a pot of Guerlain's primer and the same shadows looked gorgeous with it. I also used Trish McEvoy's primer and liked it much more than Laura Mercier's. I agree with one of the posts that I still have to get impressed with this line. Tinted moisturizer is probably the only thing that I would rate better than just OK.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2009 4:18:00 AM More reviews by tiffanyck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i just hate this product...it creases so easily n looks weird...i wont buy it again..just a waste of money
update
i found it after 6 months while cleaning my makeup storage n used it properly n liked it..colour is too light for me but i use it under my light eye shadows n they really show well..m planning to buy it in another shade to wear it alone..

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2008 6:05:00 PM More reviews by foreverfrench

I love love love this!
Its makes me so happy, my shadow have never creased no matter how much i sweat or cry!
I love the variety of colors and have most of them and match them to my shadow or my mood! Its amazing that she gives you that option and its not just one kind!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2008 11:32:00 PM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got hooked on eyebases a few years ago with MAC Paint in Bare Canvas. I couldn't believe how much longer my eyeshadow lasted with a base. I like the MAC, but thought I would look at some other lines to see if there was something better. I don't care for the UDPP that so many love, it's a little too drying and I want a little more coverage, Too Faced was too similar to UDPP - I've also tried Guerlain, EL, Benefit, TMcEvoy, a few DS brands, etc. I tried Linen in this, and at first glance I thought it would be way too light and bright, but it's a nice peachy pink, that's not too orange and not too white. I had tried Flax, but it was too green-beige on me, the Wheat was too dark, and Cotton too yellow. Compared to the MAC Paint, this is smoother in application, thinner in consistency (MAC can make my eyes look a little crepey) but they last about the same. This is a much better product, although it costs more and doesn't last as long since it dries out more quickly. But the look is so much better and I'm really really glad I switched. Update: I had to stop using this, it really irritated my eyes, I suspect because it has a form of lanolin in it. I'm so disappointed, it's a great product....oh well, back to MAC.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No