Revlon Jean Nate After Bath Splash original scent

3.6

on 7/8/2006 12:49:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I had to revamp my review because I believe this has been reformulated! I think it has at least in the plastic bottles- I have smelled it out of 2 brand new bottles in 2 different locations and the result is the same- it's like someone poured something like vinegar or something astringent into lemon pledge! The original didn't smell like this! I'm not sure if the concentrated cologne spray was affected. Oh, how sad! The original was very citrusy and fresh- wonderful layered with the powder! I should email Revlon, but I'm sure they'd just deny it!

on 4/21/2006 10:20:00 AM

Oh, the good old days... This was one of my first forays into grown-up scents when I used to sneak some of my mother's. For you young girls, this was once a department store product, as were many things we now find in the drugstores. This is very lemony, fresh & light, with a little something else in it to soften the citrus tone. Just as good as the very high-priced French citrus scents - I'd say it's a dead ringer for Guerlain Eau de Fleurs Cedrat that I fear has been discontinued, and at a fraction of the price. No reason to be a snob on this one. That reminds me: I have to get my hands on some more for summertime!

on 4/20/2006 2:49:00 PM

Update: I still love Jean Nate. I prefer the concentrated cologne spray, which smells more intensely floral and powdery than the splash, and which I especially enjoy in the spring. I also have the splash and body lotion, and they smell more gingery or citrussy. I'm not sure what the sharper note is in the splash, but there's a discernable difference between it and the concentrated cologne spray.

Here are the fragrance notes I found online:

Fragrance Notes -Lavender, Jasmine, Rose, Carnation, Lily of the valley, Cedar, Tonka, Musk, Sandal.

I don't know how precise this is, but I definitely get the lavender, carnation, lotv, tonka & sandal. Surprisingly, no citrus notes are mentioned, although Jean Nate has that uplifting quality that a citrus fragrance has. This scent just makes me feel happy and it works well with my chemistry.

on 11/6/2005 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

Ugh! I can't stand this scent! I was first introduced to Jean Nate as a kid in the 70's. My cousin brought some over when she spent the night and I thought I was so grown up when I wore it. I also remember the commercial and it seemed like it was "supposed" to make you energetic or something. Well, not long ago I was browsing in Wal-Mart and saw this product. A wave of nostalgia came over me and I purchased it. Sadly, it was sickening to smell and not at all like I remembered it as a kid. I ended up throwing it in the trash. Too bad......so much for fond memories :-(

on 8/6/2004 5:24:00 AM

awww the harsh reviews some people gave this stuff breaks my heart! ;-) It's a citrus-y body splash, refreshing on a hot summer night after a bath, or after a day of swimming in the ocean. The high alcohol content cools you at first and does contribute to that initial slap of "cheap" scent people talk about, but it basically evaporates leaving behind a very subtle freshness that I find it hard to believe could offend anyone. Your skin just smells clean and fresh without being perfumey. It's an after bath splash and that's about it. :-) I loved the other reviewers nostalgic humor, however!

on 7/19/2004 12:07:00 AM

Sorry...I must disagree here. Jean Nate reminds me of teased hair sprayed into a rock-hard helmet with Adorn Hair Spray (anyone over 30 years of age will get this reference, for those of you who don't, just think of Aquanet, only worse!), Huckapoo shirts (again, a reference for those of us of a certain age), and cigarette-and-sweaty feet-scented bowling alleys. Now those gals knew how to party! They would spritz themselves with Jean Nate and hairspray, throw on their loudest plaid polyester pant suits (for those of you who watch Nick-at Nite and have seen Brady Bunch reruns)and hack on unfiltered Camels while they bowled the afternoon away. And who says you can't bring back wonderful memories like these? Just open a big old bottle of JN and let the Vietnam-like flashbacks begin.

To Cjenn: Yes, it's everywhere! Riteaid, Walgren's, etc.
I love this. I was first introduced to it when I was around 9 yrs old! Dad got me a gift set. i loved it even at that young age! I still love it. The bottle's awkward, so i just transfer it to a spray bottle and use the large bottle as a refill. Very clean, fresh, crisp. Seems overpowering but mellows down a bit. Great for spring and summertime. I would not describe it a florally scent, and certainly not a sweet, warm, or fruity scent. Hints of green tea but I'd describe it a sa "gardeny/grass" scent if this makes any type of sense.

on 7/9/2004 2:34:00 AM

I haven't seen a bottle of this in years. Takes me right back to 1972 when it was highly in vogue and it seems, that along with yellow bathrooms, everyone had a huge bottle of this on their counter. The smell was very fresh and clean and after bath ready, the perfect antidote to a long, hard day. I didn't even know they still made this. Was it always made by Revlon? I remember it came in a large, yellow bottle, do they still make this? Guess some things never die.

on 2/29/2004 5:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

This scent really takes me back! My mom has used this for years and the scent is one that will forever be associated with my childhood. It's a bit hard to describe in terms of notes, but the scent is extremely clean (without being soapy), fresh and somewhat airy. It tends to remind me of sunshine, brightness, water droplets, warm towels fresh from the dryer... you get the picture. It's a clean, vibrant scent. To be honest I wouldn't normally purchase this for myself but I definitely like the scent and wouldn't think twice about using it if I didn't already have such a huge arsenal of fragrances to go through! continued >>

on 8/4/2003 6:35:00 PM

I love expensive fragrances, but to my mind, this is one of the very best inexpensive ones out there. Clean, fresh, and sexy.

Popular Fragrances