October 21, 2014 | 2005 users online

Loose Powders - Chantecaille - Loose powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2008 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Selenite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've tried several good cruelty free powders in all sorts of price ranges. I've been attracted to the Chantecaille brand for a couple of years but their stuff is pricey and hard to come by. This isn't a brand that has counters in every mall across the world. While overpriced it looks and feels seamless, like I've put nothing on. It also leaves just a very subtle glow so my skin doesn't look too flat. If I could get my hands on this more easily I would make it my regular powder.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2007 3:54:00 PM More reviews by TheCopperTop

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well, this is my best replacement to my HG of powders that decided to cheap out (Christian Dior's Poudre Libre, after a long run as a high-quality, finely-milled loose powder with a perfect color... went and added TALC, which makes me break out horribly! It stayed the same price too: $45 USD). Anywho, so began my quest for a comparable replacement. After reading reviews on this site, I decided to go for Chantecaille's Talc-Free Loose Powder.

*********CONS (first):********* very limited availability, at least in Orange County, CA; had to go to Neiman-Marcus (overly pretentious store, IMHO), and they only accept cash or American Express. So that was a pain. Short of ordering online, you have to go prepared! Then, I agree that the packaging is gorgeous BUT the biggest pain in the you-know-what to work with (messy, you potentially lose product too). So, after peeling back about half of the sticky sifter cover to only let a little product out at a time, I finally caved and VERY CAREFULLY pried open the package with the flat edge of a metal spatula and transferred it into my old (and now empty) Christian Dior Poudre Libre packaging with the same thin metal spatula (are you kidding me? For $45 USD this stuff is like GOLD and you don't want to lose any of it!). See my review on the packaging for CD's Poudre Libre, you'll see why I love it so much, plus they gave you a killer compact (as in small) powder brush built into the package. I think the Chantecaille packaging came with a powder puff but why would I use that with loose powder? Powder puffs are meant for pressed powders, brushes are meant for loose powders. Anyway... on to the pros...

*********PROS:********* While I personally feel it is a shade less silky than my old fave (CD Poudre Libre), it is perfect for my needs, and for me, I like a slightly dewy finish, not cakey or heavy... I like to let my skin show through (I routinely use select concealers -- like under the eyes, round the corners of my nose, and on any select blemishes or patches of redness -- and depending on the day, I also love Shiseido's Stick Foundation... no skin reactions and it goes on great; is buildable and still lets my own skin show through. BUT, enough about that!). Chantecaille's powder is finely milled, a good color, and I use my old CD brush to apply it... no chalky appearance, and it sets my makeup so my skin feels silky smooth, and dispels shine just enough until I touch up throughout the day (only if needed) with MAC's Blot Powder (which is great because that doesn't build up product). And best of all, this talc-free powder does not break out my sensitized skin (THANK YOU Chantecaille for producing a quality loose powder that YES, CAN be talc-free!) I put dates on my products so I know a) if they're past their expiration date and b) to see how long they last me... and this first package has lasted me 6 months so far and by my accounts, will last me at least another 3... so, it's a worthwhile purchase.
*********As a side note:********* Please don't expect this powder to necessarily hold your shine at bay all day, if you tend to be oily. As a makeup artist, I have learned that loose powder is formulated more as a finishing/setting powder. If you want coverage and shine control (long-lasting), you will need to use a pressed foundation powder or more heavily-pigmented loose powder, and apply with a sponge or powder puff (sponges work GREAT for picking up enough product; plus, with their triangular angles, you can more easily get into crevices that you cannot with a regular powder puff). Also, if you are having excessive oil production problems, your skin care routine may be the culprit (a proper and controlled skin care routine that you DON'T overload product onto will help immensely. My new fave is Origins, which I will review as well).

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2007 8:53:00 AM More reviews by Daniela1977

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is really the best i try by now. I am not fan of loose powders and i don't really like powdery look but this one just gives me gorgeous face
My face doesn’t look like have loose powder at all. It’s leaving me a lovely mate finish smooth my skin and my make up last all day long. I just couldn’t stop touching my face all day ..is so soft.
I am MAC 15-20 and I have it in # Light (from a lovely swapper….TY Liz) and when I see it really look to me like flour but ones I apply is GREAT.
I try many powders like La Prairie, T.LeClerc, Caron, YSL, Chanel and so much more, so far this one is the best

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2007 12:43:00 PM More reviews by kupo_baby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This powder is fine but definitely NOT worth the price. For the price I was hoping for some kind of magical effect & was sorely disappointed

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2007 9:44:00 PM More reviews by nionio

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my HG powder. This powder is so finely milled and very build-able. I love how this sets my foundation because I actually did a experiment today from not setting with my powder. By lunch, my make-up was all over the place (in my lines, in my finger tips, on my cloth...). Also, I like to use this to set my under eye concealer. This powder blends into the concealer so well that after all the foundation and concealer is done, everything blends together. That way you won't get an cakey under eye coverage, or pink spots in certain areas on your face. I use the sponge that came with it, and just gently blot the corner of my eyes for setting. Then use a powder brush to sweep all over my face to blend everything together. Try it! You'll love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2007 2:06:00 AM More reviews by miotiramisu

This has quickly become my holy grail loose powder. Now that I've found it, I cannot imagine living without it. I'm an NC-40 and currently using the the shade "Ray". You can apply this lightly or heavily and the finish will still look airbrushed which goes to show how fine milled this powder is. In the past, I've experimented with other powders such as LORAC, Cle de Peau, Bare Escentuals, and all incomparable to Chantecaille. While I really loved Cle de Peau's quality, I felt like the main ingredient (TALC) severely irritated my skin and caused it to itch and feel uncomfortable. Even though it claimed to be a translucent loose powder, the product still contained a little pink, so if you applied the powder too heavily, you'd get a pinkish cast over your make up. For $99 it was a total waste of my money. Chantecaille is half the price and contains no trace of Talc. The quality is superb if not better and it comes in 3 shades to adjust to your skin. I love the flat but round aluminum container. It really stands out in the make up stash. I usually sift some powder onto the top of the container and swift my powder brush to make sure no product spills over. It comes with a white puff but I find that using a powder brush gives me better results. Unless you're allergic to Bismuth, this powder is a must have and I'd recommend this to anyone who loves a high quality loose powder.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2007 8:00:00 PM More reviews by mindyyoung

Although the power is great, I always have difficulty getting the powder out of container. I would buy this powder again only if the packaging is updated.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2007 6:26:00 PM More reviews by greekgal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have tried just about every loose powder out there ladies...yes, even the precious Cle de Peau ~ This is the most natural, light powder I've ever purchased. I have found this to be a "setting powder only". I'm oily & need to touch up w/ Boscia blotting papers around noon. However, if your looking for an elegent, natural - true to color setting powder try this & I don't think you will be disappointed! I'm NC25 & I wear shade "Light"

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2007 8:32:00 PM More reviews by ccmadamoiselle

I absolutely love the radiance and silkiness of Chantecaille loose powder. But the flimsy container is just inexcusably messy. Product spills out every time. This product is to expensive to store in a Ziploc bag! I would give the packaging a zero if I could.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2006 6:17:00 AM More reviews by amy212

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

loreal makes a talc free loose powder that is nicer and I don't have to tell you ladies how less expensive it is. I think this was my worse purchase ever - I can see spending $$$$$ on a foundation, not a powder - but I did and I regret that, I should have taken it back because I just don't use it at all - it is just such a mess it's real pain!!!!!