November 26, 2014 | 1894 users online

Eyeliner - Laura Mercier - Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Bleu Marine

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2008 7:15:00 PM More reviews by sushiomelette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have this eyeliner in Blue Marine and Black Ebony. I have little asian eyes and whenever I open my eyes, the liner will smudge onto my lid unless even when I use waterproof liner. But LM's eyeliner stays on all day and doesn't move. I apply it with MAC's pointed eyeliner brush so I can get in between my lashes and can draw as thin or thick a line as I want. It does kind of smudge when I apply on my lower lashes, but to make it stick I use Benefit's She Laq or I'll use Chanel's stylo yeux waterproof eyeliner pencil (also another great eyeliner). I will definitely buy LM's eyeliner again.

Update: The eyeliner isn't as intense as some waterproof/gel liners and doesn't stay well on my water line, but it works well on my lids.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2008 2:00:00 PM More reviews by addicted2products

The Laura Mercier SA recommended I try this product. For reference, I am an Asian MAC NC 25-30 with black hair and dark brown eyes. I have always used black eyeliner (when I bothered using eyeliner). This was my first foray into a cake liner and I was very pleasantly surprised.

The real reason I'm giving this product 5 lippies is because of the color. I can not believe how much better the bleu marine (dark navy blue) eyeliner looks compared to your basic black. This made my dark brown eyes absolutely pop. If you are considering this eyeliner, and can try it before buying, you will see the difference. Have the SA do one eye in bleu marine and the other in black (or your usual color)!

The downside to this product is the fact you will need to invest in a quality brush to apply. Without the proper fine line brush, don't bother buying the eyeliner. It is that important. It may take awhile to get used to lining your eyes with a thin brush, and experimenting with the proper amount of water to add to the cake liner. It will, however, be worth it. The good news is this lasts a long time.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2008 2:44:00 AM More reviews by Sayers

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh how I love this liner. Forget black, dark blue is the trick to bright eyes. I have found my perfect eyeliner.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2008 6:15:00 AM More reviews by larissamathews

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm already on my second one. Yes it takes more time to prep and apply than a gel or stick liner but its so worth it. It stays all day and the color is gorgeous. Plus it gives a very natural look that somehow still makes my eyes look wider and brighter. I change my eyeshadows quite a bit, but for the past year I've stayed with this liner.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2008 6:26:00 PM More reviews by nkmd

I have dark brown eyes and would typically use a black liner. I LOVE this color. It is amazing how the deep blue looks so much better than black. It is not as harsh looking and still makes eyes pop. The key to this eyeliner is the application - the right brush is absolutely required.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2007 10:31:00 PM More reviews by shyviolet

I had been dying to try this product for ages. I have tried just about every eyeliner out there. Pencils smeared, I can't seem to master getting liquid to look right. I have the Bobbi Brown gel which I love, but I have the dark black color. I needed something a little more subtle for day. Browns tend to make my brown eyes and olive skin look drab, so I went for this blue after reading the reviews here.

I have very large eyes, so tightlining is a bit of a waste on me, I just put this on like regular eyeliner. I love that you can build the color up. I tend to be a messy eyeliner-apply-er (always pressed for time with kids). This made it impossible to wear liquid, and I had to keep a tissue handy when trying to apply the gel. The cake liner is practically goof-proof. Even if I am paying no attention to what I am doing, the application is natural, softly smoky and beautiful.

I do notice I need to build the color up a bit to get the definition I want, but that may be just because I am used to jet black gel.

This is an AMAZING liner, a beautiful color for brown eyes. It is very easy to do a smoky look using only this product, or you can make it look natural just as an everyday liner. Highly recommended.

*EDIT - I am taking off one lippie only because it takes so long for me to get the look I want. I can do my eyes much quicker with a gel liner and that lasts all day as well. This is still a beautiful color and great product, but I am saving it for nights out - not fast enough for me to wear everyday.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2007 10:29:00 AM More reviews by calisummer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, I never would have tried this product, this color, or this technique if it were not for this site. But I love it! Using my Laura Mercier flat brush (I think you need this to do it right), I lifted my upper lid up and brushed on this inky, midnight blue color along that eyelid line and up into the lashes. Just love the way it looks. I have to admit, it took me a while to get it right. I was getting it too wet and too close to the eye and not the lashes....leaving that lovely inky blue color staining my actual eye instead of the inner lid....not so sexy! But then I got the hang of it so that it stains only the lid line and goes more into the lashes. I have brown eyes, so wasn't sure about the bleu marine color, but with my mascara it really makes my eyes "pop," giving that "I'm dressed up look" without looking "done" or like a hooker. I also like wisping a little bit of this along my lower lash line and it looks hot!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2007 4:45:00 PM More reviews by JanM

I had this product kicking around in the bottom of my makeup bag for a while before I really got to grips with it. I loved the colour, but why on earth could I not get it to stick onto my eyelid and meld into my eyelashes? and what on earth was this tightlining that everyone was on about? Eventually I figured the tightlining bit - many people here have described it better than I can, but to me it's not just pushing the product into the base of the underneath of the eyelashes, but also getting the consistency of the product gluey enough to stick. For those who are unsure re tightlining please scroll through these reviews, but also I googled tightlining and got a great link with photos (I'm too shy to go to a LM makeup counter and ask!).
So, so far so good, I did my tightlining with a variety of brushes because I was too mean to go and buy the LM brush and I had so many brushes that seemed about right.....wrong! I actually got a LM flat liner brush and boy oh boy does this make the difference. It delivers the correct amount of product in the correct areas and I use it over and under the lash line and it doesn't budge, not at all, never. So my advice is buy both together after you've gone to the LM counter and had a demonstration!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2007 2:23:00 PM More reviews by Lutskis1

I think this is the only product I have hit bottom on several times and continued to buy. I have never had an HG of anything, but this is definitely it. Several years ago a makeup artist at the Laura Mercier counter in Soho (NYC) put this on me and I was stunned with the results. Tightlining just under the lashes gave me the most natural line, barely noticeable other than darkening my lash line. In the past I used to try to make thin lines on my eyelids with liners and always felt like it looked to obvious. This compeltely solved that issue- I'm thrilled with the ultra-natural polished look this liner gives me. I will buy again and again and again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2007 12:35:00 AM More reviews by rpolisk

agree w reviewer calling this total keeper product. I have been using and love a gorgeous Armani inky blue eyeliner pencil. Unfortunately, this tends to run as the day wears on and I would find myself wiping dark blue smudges off by upper lid by mid-afternoon. This product is just as gorgeous in color; deep midnight saturated inky blue that looks amazing with brown eyes (much better than charcoal or black, brings out flecks of green in my eyes). Bought it from a great SA who demonstrated the tightlining technique which I'd been using with pencils anyways. I'm not completely sold on it with this product. However, as a regular liquid eyeliner, this stuff is gorgeous, easy to apply. The brush (flat one by LM, highly recommended) picks up just the right amount of pigment to lay a solid flat line on the upper lashes. I get tons of compliments whenever I wear this look (1 coat of black mascara, little blush on cheeks and keep the lips natural w a dab of kiehl's lipbalm) and it does not take but 5 minutes to get ready. Best of all, by mid-afternoon my lids are smudge-free and my eye make up looks as fresh as when I left my house in the morning!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No