October 21, 2014 | 1798 users online

Shampoo - Aveda - Color Conserve

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2008 12:40:00 AM More reviews by TracyU

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am amazed at how well this product conserves my hair color. I get my hair colored professionally with semi-permanent dark red/brown and after many many weeks, I am still squeezing out color when my hair is wet! With my old shampoo, this only happened on the first shampoo.

Wish it would lather more and make my hair a little softer, but I love how it conserves the color!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/7/2008 10:18:00 AM More reviews by allysonraeh

The scent is terrific, like all AVEDA products, but left my scalp feeling itchy.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2008 6:07:00 PM More reviews by rjh0323

Made my hair feel like straw. Small amount of product for the $. Smells horrible.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2008 12:49:00 PM More reviews by playsindirt

Smells nasty, but I have to say this leaves my hair knot free without conditioner afterwards. But it's so pricey, I won't repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/11/2008 10:17:00 AM More reviews by pa_heather

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not awful, but nothing special either. Didn't care for the scent and it doesn't seem to prolong my color any better or worse than anything else. Made my hair straw-like, especially the highlighted sections. I think I'm done with Aveda hair care.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2008 6:56:00 AM More reviews by Brunettegirl

I just bought this after getting my hair colored/cut at an Aveda salon and I did not care for it. My hair felt like straw after using this, so I will return it and get the Smooth Infusion line. I was told that is an excellent product for thick hair like mine. I did however like the smell and think this product could do a nice job for people with fine-medium thickness, but not for my texture hair, which is realtively long, thick and naturally wavy. I certainly need more moisture, and like something that helps me with straigtening my hair also.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2008 2:37:00 PM More reviews by danielleclark

I have highlighted hair that is prone to dryness anyway. I was recommended the CC shampoo but the Damage Remedy conditioner, so I alternate between the CC conditioner and deep treatment and the Damage Remedy.
I find that this shampoo does a lovely job of gently cleansing my hair, leaving it perfectly clean and very shiny. It smells very nice, slightly citrussy/herbal, lathers well so it has lasted me for ages, and the packaging is nice like the rest of Aveda's products.
The hairdresser that recommended it said that the Colour Conserve range is very good for moisturising dry hair, and the Damage Remedy range is good for replacing protein in damaged hair. So choose wisely!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2008 8:53:00 PM More reviews by vivavera

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great shampoo for color-treated hair!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2008 6:34:00 PM More reviews by coma_white

I'm not quite sure why this shampoo gets such mediocre reviews. I've been using it for several months now, and my hair is silky, smooth, and in the best condition its ever been! I get compliments on my hair all the time - in fact, I haven't had my hair cut in almost 2 months, yet somebody asked me if I had just got it done.

I do find that if I use too much, the shampoo can be a little drying because it tends to strip the hair completely of oil and debris. However, when used in small amounts, every other day, I find my hair is always clean and soft, without being greasy. It smells lovely - a soft floral/herbal aroma that's luxurious, rather than cheap. This shampoo does not lather very much, however, and I would not suggest it for someone who enjoys rich, bubbly lathers.

I get my hair coloured a deep chocolate/red brown at the salon with semi-permanent dye that's intended to fade out slowly. Compared to pantene, colour conserve preserves the darkness of the colour about twice as long.

And just for comparisons sake, my hair is fine and wavy, and does not naturally tend to be either overly greasy or dry. So, perhaps this is a shamppo best left for ultra-normal hair - in fact, I could see how this product would not work well on thick, curly, greasy, or dry hair insofar that it neither mosturizes or clarifies. It seems to be designed for regular, daily cleansing, and not for improving difficult hair.

Hope that helps!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/7/2008 12:30:00 PM More reviews by deenie1499

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really liked the damage therapy treatment that AVEDA makes, so when I started dyeing my hair I thought that their shampoo for color protection would be great. Its ok.

I can't say if it really helped my hair keep its color, and I'm not even sure it really moisturized it as well as I would have liked. The CC conditioner seems a bit lacking too.

I think I will try to use their Damage Therapy Line next time.