December 20, 2014 | 969 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Mason Pearson - Pure Bristle Brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2010 2:29:00 PM More reviews by MichikoFliz

I wanted this and my friends got it for me for my birthday in pocket size (I told them to get the cheapest one, didn't want them to break the bank).

My hair is not exactly fine, it's coarse, long and straight, but this brush works nicely. Just have to put a bit more effort to brush it all the way through.

I've been using a cr*ppy one I bought in Priceline before and I hate it because my hair keeps snagging and snapping. So I tried not to brush my hair unless I really had to. The Mason Pearson is pleasant to use. I have it in white which is quite cute and it doesn't tug at my hair at all. It glides through the knots and I actually enjoy brushing my hair.

In future i would probably buy a large one so that it would be faster to brush my whole head but the pocket one would probably be great to use whilst travelling.

My hair is turns out quite silky with this brush. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2010 11:16:00 AM More reviews by jejkim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

This is the only brush I use. Have had mine for 4 years now and even upgraded to add the next to largest brush to my collection.

I didn't want to believe the hype, but I needed something for my fine, long hair. The brushes do come in different bristle combinations targeted for various hair types and lengths, so do the research before purchasing.

The brush is indestructable, gives a great scalp massage as well as evenly distributes natural oils throughout the hair. You just can't find a brush that works the same as this one. It's the Bentley of hair brushes and it's a must. The price is totally reasonable for the results you achieve. My hair looks gorgeous. This is a must have item in everyone's stash.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2010 10:47:00 AM More reviews by annaw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'd always heard that Mason Pearson brushes were the best and had it on my "to buy, but not in the not foreseeable future though I really want it because it's ridiculously expensive and don't need it need it" list (for example, a MacBook Pro is on this list while my current laptop doesn't exhibit major issues). I finally broke down when beauty.com had their friends and family (and the cashback worked--SCORE). I got the cheapest pure boar bristle brush, which retails for $170. I don't think I realized there were other sizes, otherwise, with my long-ish hair, I would've gotten a larger one. My hair always annoyed me, because it felt dry at the ends. Now, I have the problem where my hair's oils are so well distributed that I wonder if I'm going to have to start washing it more often or if I'm just not used to having hair that feels healthy. I can't wait to have some guy run his hands through mine, so he can be in awe of how smooth it feels (still working on this...ha). Seriously, if the cost is an issue and you're wondering if it's worth it, get it (maybe you need the push of having some discount--you can get 10-20% cashback for beauty.com on bing.com). If you have long hair, think about getting a larger size than the handy (the one I have). That's the only complaint I have, that I got the handy rather than a larger one.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2010 5:09:00 PM More reviews by Happyfaced

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've had mine for five years and it's still doing a great job. I have fine hair but the pocket bristle brush never gives me static. It is pricey, but on cost per use basis, it's a worthwhile investment. I also like the cleaning brush that it comes with.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2010 11:29:00 AM More reviews by downunder

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

We finally broke down and I got a Mason Pearson brush from my husband for Christmas!! I have long, fine hair and the perfect brush for my hair was the extra large pure bristle brush. It is very expensive, but I feel I am worth it! :-) My hair is so silky and shiny and I feel like I get a scalp massage every time I brush my hair. I am also able to finally get a smooth pony tail. I was concerned about having static issues when I brush my hair, but it is not a problem. In short, I am very satisfied with my brush. Would I buy again? Yes, but I doubt I will ever have to (unless I lose it).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2010 3:19:00 PM More reviews by ilasik

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have had my full size brush for probably 10 years now. My husband and I share it and take it everywhere. We once left it at someone's house at a New Year's eve party and made the hosts locate it and pay for shipping it back to us!
They thought we were nuts when we told them the thing is over $100 but it is like nothing else.
For a long time our two young daughters used the pocket size brushes - they did finally both lose them but they lasted several years and were the only thing gentle enough to untangle long fine hair.
This is the best investment! The cleaner thing that comes with it is not the best so the brush by now does not look super attractive but works just as well

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2009 3:38:00 PM More reviews by bleue

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After a bazillion hair cuts and styles, I have finally given in to my husband and have let my hair grow out. It's now bra-strap length, so for my birthday last year, I told my husband that if he wanted me to keep the hair, I needed a good quality brush for my b-day (tee hee). He choked when I told him the price, but...I got my brush.

All I can say is I totally agree with the reviewer who said she'd save this brush in a fire! When I use it, it feels like a scalp message - no joke! It's wonderful! I have the Small Extra - my hair is long, but fine.
Yes, it's expensive, but I will always have a MP brush - no matter how much it is. They are that good. Nuff said!

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2009 9:52:00 AM More reviews by chiggy5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I have the pocket size with boar bristles and it is a quality brush. I wish it came with a cleaning brush but that is only available with the larger sizes. I take it with me in my purse and I'm always wondering "is this damaging my brush?" because with the other items in there it's getting knocked around "is this going to make the bristles come out?, is this damaging the cushion pad?" . Hey it's an expensive brush it should come with it's own carrying/protective case. Pros; it does make my hair shiny and smooth. The first time I used it a guy friend asked me "what did you do to your hair?, it looks great" my response was "I brushed it". And yes I brush my hair and have used many other brand brushes and have'nt tried any others since I've had this one. I've had this one probably 8 years and have been very happy with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2009 9:04:00 PM More reviews by FashionStyleBeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My hair : waist length, very fine but volumous, overprocessed and extremely fragile.

Tested: I recieved the entire range of MP to trial. I kept only ONE item. The large extra bristle paddle brush RRP AUD $260.

The large paddle bristle was able to penetrate and detangle my mass of hair ( the smaller brush could not get into lower layers).

Brand as a whole: Mason Pearson nylon brushes are no better than lower priced quality synthetics. I was unimpressed with their range of combs - overpriced and ordinary. Primarily this range is a 'brand' that people want to own to look posh and declare that they 'own'.

The basics: Natural boar bristles are best for general brushing - natural shine, smooth shaft and gentle handling of delicate hair due to the effectiveness of the natural oil (sebum) distrubution. Comparing this brush only to similar items with same function.

First impressions: ordinary packaging and presentation (nothing flash - super basic actually). It didn't look any different to cheaper off the rack 100% bristle brushes - VERY hefty price seemed unjustifiable.

Intital impression after use: The bristles felt very firm and sharp compared to lower end comparisons. Ive tested100s of brushes. At first the bristles felt rough and as if it would 'rip' my fragile hair. It also felt rather scratchy on my scalp. The accompanying cleaning brush is basic, non-innovative but functional.

Conclusion at end of trials: This is one case where you actually do get what you pay for. Extremely expensive for a very ordinary looking hairbrush but it is utterly understandable (after using for a while) why the worlds best choose this brush. The 'scratchy' feeling on scalp is actually stimulating the scalp and is evidence of the effectiveness of bristles to penetrate into lower layers of hair. It is NOT actually scratching the scalp. My hair is super smooth and undamaged by this high QUALITY brush. Stick with it, the quality of the tool is evident after some use. The flexibility of the bristle bed is notable. Many inexpensive brushes 'feel' nicer to use (feel better to your wallet as well) but by no means are as good for your hair in terms of result. Afterall - its all about the end result isnt it - MP large paddle bristle brush = smooth, healthy and shiny hair naturally. It is well constructed and will last.

In general I would say most 100% boar bristle brushes are on par - just a difference in packaging ... however, I can't believe I am saying this BUT if you are looking for perfection .. save up - this scarily expensive brush is soooo good for your hair, it is extremely effective at cleaning the hair shaft while spreading your naturally moisturising sebum and is so well constructed that it actually IS worth the investment.

PS don't forget, clean your brush regularly and never brush wet hair. For wet hair use a no-snag/vulcanised wide toothed comb only - your hair will thank you for it.

24 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2008 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Mere828

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

*LOVE* this brush! I am not usually a user of bristle brushes - I usually use combs, but this brush does wonders on my long hair. I can feel the texture change immediately after I use it. My hair is *so* soft and manageable, and getting tangles out with long unruly hair has always been painful and time-consuming, but this brush basically gets tangles out in one sweep. I swapped for it, so fortunatley I didn't shell out the dough but it IS very expensive! I think it's worth it, though because the brush is of highest quality with real bristles and it holds up wonderfully. I've had mine for about a year and nothing has fallen out or bent, it's just lovely. I'm dying to try their other brushes now.