October 23, 2014 | 1193 users online

Moisturizers - The Body Shop - Vitamin C Skin Boost

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2011 2:51:00 PM More reviews by TeHNyboR

This stuff's alright. It really leaves my skin glowing, but does diddly poop as a makeup primer. And it doesn't give me that dewy finish that I so desperately crave. I've used both the old and new packaging, and I have to say the older packaging was far better. I don't think I'll be buying this again, as Body Shop is ridiculously overpriced.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2011 2:28:00 AM More reviews by awsmsauce

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I'm reviewing this in the new packaging! I'm not sure if they've changed the formula but this works pretty well on me. I'm 18 and I have combination & acne-prone skin. A little goes a long way, the blob I put on my index finger is slightly smaller than 1/4 of an m&m. I use it after my moisturizer! Is an okay make up base (I use mineral concealer, it stays on a little longer than it usually does). I suggest asking for samples first before trying it out (I got two sachets from them!) One should be enough to last you about 3-4 applications.

What I liked: this left my skin feeling reallllly soft and silky smooth, didn't break me out and it makes me look fresher than usual. What I didn't like: it feels oily if not massaged in properly, the smell is too citrus-y for my liking (its not too strong, I just don't like citrus smells), it's pretty expensive - I paid about SGD$29.90 for it.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/13/2010 12:51:00 PM More reviews by isonbeatrice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this during one of TBS's 3/30 sales, so it ended up costing me $10US. I bought it because it looked like a serum, was packaged like a serum, and I could really use some help with the dark spots left by acne and a little sun damage. I was in a rush in the store so I didn't read the back of the bottle--bad me! When I got home and saw it was recommended as a primer, I wasn't too happy, but decided to try it anyway. It didn't break me out at first, but in the last few days I've noticed bumps popping up all over my face, especially in the cheek area. I think this stuff just smothers my skin (also, i was applying it at night, hoping for some Vitamin C action, but I think that just made everything worse!)

The last thing I need is another product on my oily, oily skin. My blackheads and whiteheads have increased exponentially since I started using this product. And the fact that it smells exactly like Orange Glo cleaner means this is a fail in my book.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/10/2010 2:22:00 PM More reviews by butterbelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

Texture is greasy and left my skin oily rather than dewy/glowing. The amount of silicone in this product is frightening. It's extremely expensive for what you get. I had purchased this thinking it was a Vitamin C serum rather than a make-up primer. Do not recommend and will not purchase again.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/15/2010 4:33:00 PM More reviews by luckygreenclover25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this because I wanted a vitamin C serum, but it is really more of a face primer with added vitamin C. It has a very strong citrus scent that reminds me of furniture polish. In fact, fragrance is the second ingredient! Usually fragrance is near the end of the ingredient list. (Note: I am going by the ingredient list on the bottle, which I noticed is different from the ingredient list on the website.) Worst of all, it caused me to break out. :(

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2010 6:27:00 PM More reviews by Flossie2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I read a review of this online that raved about it so I bought it. It's ok but nothing special and in Canada at least it's pretty expensive. My main comment about it is if you have fairly oily skin like I have don't buy it! It's greasy and leaves a slight film on your skin. I ended up using barely any, just a squib from the pump that I spread on my face with wet palms. Even so my skin had a film. I didn't find that it did anything special; no glow, no nothing. It might be good if you have dry skin but it's not for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/8/2010 5:33:00 PM More reviews by shukufuku

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

This is a review of the newly packaged Vitamin C Skin Boost, which comes in a slender cylinder plastic bottle with a pump. This product retails for $26 CND, which is slightly on the pricey end for me.

However, I bought this as a Vit C set which included the full sized Skin Boost and Facial Radiance Powder along with a trail sized Microdermabrasion (value of $58, sold for $48). I bought it during a sale for 50% off, another 10% off for being a card holder, and an additional $5 off coupon on top... for a grand total of $18 with tax for the entire set. A complete steal!

I absolutely love the packaging, which is light, sanitary and simple to use. A single pump is more than enough for your entire face.

I agree with other reviewers that the scent is a little bit strong and could've been toned down. It's not unpleasant and smells mostly like orange juice, but I prefer my skin care to have as little perfume as possible.

The product itself is a bit of a milky, slightly oily kind of gel with tiny white particles in it. If there were any reflective (or shimmery) particles, it was not very noticeable to me. It applies easily to the face and finishes to be mostly matte with a slight dewyness. On my dry-combination skin it does not feel oily or shiny at all, but rather leaves my skin feeling very soft and smooth. To me, this product feels similar to Bare Escentuals' Prime Time primer or smashbox's Photo Finish Foundation Primer.

Do beware that some people with oily skin have commented that these products do feel oily to them. I did not have this problem but I did notice a couple of bumps after using the Skin Boost for 2 weeks, though they did not develop into pimples or acne. I stopped using both the Facial Radiance Powder and Skin Boost immediately, and the bumps went away. I would recommend not to use this daily if you're prone to acne or break outs.

As far as "radiance" goes, I'm not really sure what to expect and I wasn't really aware of any noticeable changes, but then again my skin isn't exactly "dull" so I cannot give a fair review in this catagory.

My biggest issue with the product is that it cannot replace my usual foundation primer. Although it does help foundation apply more smoothly, it doesn't help it last like a primer product does. Therefore, to me it's just one extra step in my very long list of things to do before I can leave the house, and it's a step that I'm willing to skip.

So in summary:

To me, it's not a must have product and doesn't do enough for me to add it to my regular routine.

Pros:

Product is a great price when on sale.
Great packaging, convenient and dispenses a good amount.
Makes skin smooth and soft, easier to apply foundation.

Cons:

Strong orange smell, though it is not unpleasant.
May cause white heads or other bumps for some people.
Does not help make up last longer as primers do.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Makes skin look brighter, for sure. I am convinced this is due to it containing very tiny glitter particles, I don't care what the sales lady says, like all "brightening" skin products contain glitter, those tricksters.. It makes skin look and feel a bit smoother. I have used it mixed with MUFE's face and body foundation, it works pretty well this way. It smells very orangey, a smell I normally love, but even this is a bit strong for me. I'm not really sensative to fragrance, either. It has done nothing positive or negative to change the overall appearance of my skin. Fun to try but overall I'd not buy again.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/31/2010 6:41:00 AM More reviews by ANWong

This product did not brighten my skin , but broke me out with white heads. It is due to its formulation rich with silicone, which gives the smooth finish to my skin when it is applied.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2010 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Swoop

I initially bought this to use as a primer but didnt had the chance yet to use it as primer because of illness. I have used it as a gel over my daily moisturizer tho because I was curious about the product and I must say that its great to use as gel without make up too. I've used it day and night and I'm aware of the cones in it but it didnt clogged anything so I think its quite ok. So I bought the product in the new packaging, just so u know.
Its a clear gel with little particals in it, I think its for light reflecting purposes? Anyway, u dont see it shimmer, in fact I dont see any of it at all which is a good thing for me cause I like it matte. It goes on supersmooth (thats the cones probably) and it really evens out my skintone (love it) and makes it really brighter (which I didnt expected, a plus for me too).
It makes my face very very soft and overall I think its just a great product for me. I brightens my complexion and makes it super soft, so yeah, pretty great!
Only downside for me was the smell, its pretty overwhelming the first time, but now I think I got used to it because I dont smell it anymore.
So for ppl sensitive for strong smelling products, be warned!