Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation

3.8

AQUA / WATER, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, GLYCERIN, ISODODECANE, ALCOHOL, POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE, ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, HEXYL LAURATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, PHENOXYETHANOL, ACETYLATED GLYCOL, STEARATE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, TRISTEARIN, CELLULOSE GUM, NYLON-1,2 LIMONENE, BENZYL SALICYLATE, LINALOOL, DIPHENYL DIMETHICONE ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, PARFUM / FRAGRANCE, DISODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE, METHYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL, ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE, HEXYL CINNAMAL [ /- MAY CONTAIN CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 / IRON OXIDES CI 77007 / ULTRAMARINES MICA

on 5/17/2015 1:15:00 AM

For reference I'm NC37-40 and I had this in shade 6. This is probably the worst high-end foundation I ever had. It goes on well and looks good for the first hour or so, but then it turns itself into a mess, I can't even explain how bad it starts to look after an hour, it oxidizes, on me it turned into some weird green/brown-ish cast, it lost most of it's coverage pretty quickly as well, despite me setting it with MAC Skinfinish and translucent powder in t-zone in hope to make it last all day, but it just doesn't work. I personally tried so, so, so many foundations that this one just seems really average, even worse than some (ekhm, most) of the drugstore foundations, which is crazy. I can't really tell where's the celebrity hype is coming from, apart from the fact that this looks really good in photos, and that's probably pretty much what they care about, but as an everyday or clubbing foundation, this just sucks, it slides off the face no matter what and I got totally normal skin, so this shouldn't even happen. On top of that, even though the shade selection is huge, the shade in itself are pretty ugly to me, too much red, green, brown, orange in all the shades I swatched and as I mentioned before the one that matched me was too green/brown. I will definately never repurchase this one again.

on 5/16/2015 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

I went a little crazy lately trying to find a good but NATURAL make up for my very warm toned, oily skin. After using my Kat Von D foundation and needing a more natural change, I tried this, Urban Decay's Naked and Benefit's new foundation and I can honestly say they were all FANTASTIC! It makes you wanna grab strangers and scream "look at my face! It's freakin' awesome!". That's how I felt when I tried this. As for how it cooperated with my oily skin, I mean, it doesn't matter what I use - I still have to blot but I was sold when it actually set to a nice finish instead of a greasy layer of make up. When they say "luminous" I would say they mean "like natural skin" look. I mean, it's make up not a magic wand. I would recommend it for light-medium coverage seekers who are looking for a "complexion enhancer". Is it worth the money? In my opinion, yes and no. You can get the same finish from other foundations for half the price but it's an option (a good option).

on 5/13/2015 12:48:00 PM

I love this foundation. I just feel that it's expensive for 1 oz of product. I feel it goes on week, it's a great build able coverage without looking Cakey. I personally haven't had any problems with this foundation separating on my skin, and I have dry skin. I love this foundation so much. It looks beautiful on the skin, and I feel they have a great color range. I just wish it wasn't so expensive, and that it was had slightly more coverage. So, yes I would buy this foundation again, I'll just have to really convince myself to spend $62 lol.

on 5/12/2015 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

You know that meme where Obi-Wan is screaming "You were the chosen one!"?

That's how this foundation is to me. I wanted to love it--it checked every box for me (no SPF, no tocopherol, light/medium coverage, yellow undertones), and I didn't love it. It was $62 back to a Sephora gift card on this one. As with all foundations, you may experience things differently than I did, but here's an insight to this product after wearing it for a month.

The product itself contains denatured alcohol, which for someone with dry and sensitive skin (despite Paula's Choice giving it a free pass), is a no-no. Not only does it dry my skin out further, it breaks down the product on my cheeks just a little bit faster. In two hours of wearing it, it went from luminous to greasy. It's possible because of the denatured alcohol it just made my skin slightly more "oily" to compensate, which reduced the wear time of the product, but that's speculation on my end.

I did experiment with this foundation several ways: with my HG primer, Laura Mercier Hydrating (wore out within 2 hours of having it on face), Beautyblender only, brush only, fingers only, with powder on top, and powder under. The foundation definitely wore off within 6 hours, longest being on for 4.

I did get my picture taken professionally while wearing this and it came out GORGEOUS. So, if nothing else, it looks really nice for photography.

I really wanted this to work for me, and it didn't. Hopefully, it works better for you.

Pros:

- Great for photography
- Variation in colors
- No SPF

Cons:

- Expensive
- Broke down quickly
- Not long lasting
- Contains denatured alcohol

on 5/12/2015 12:23:00 PM

This is probably the closest match to my skin and having olive skin, its hard to find the perfect match. Yes it's pricey but I think its right to invest on the perfect base make up. Its smooth application and lightweight feel is one of the plus points. Its lasts long enough and best for everyday wear.

on 5/11/2015 6:02:00 PM

I purchased this foundation in #8, seemed to be a good match for my olive undertones. My complaints are it did not even last a full day at the office and the coverage is light, I would not even call this medium coverage. Going back to my LM foundation I've worn for years.

on 5/7/2015 4:57:00 AM

Love love love! Just the right amount of coverage as well as leaving your skin glowing

on 4/30/2015 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Bought shade #4 after being matched to it based on wearing Make-Up Forever HD foundation shade 117 (Marble). After a year of telling myself it is too expensive, I bit the bullet and bought it during Sephora's VIB sale. (still too expensive, but I digress)

A quick swatch on the hand looked to be very similar.

I applied this to my face and loved the consistency! I gave a dewy (but not overly!) look with light to medium coverage. A little seemed to go a long way. Everything was great until...

It oxidized! After about 20 mins it looked pinky orange on my skin. It was so bad of a match that I had to wash it off - I was too embarrassed to leave the house with my face that different to my neck and chest.

:( the search for a dewy foundation continues!

on 4/22/2015 3:43:00 PM

- the best colour for my skin, just the right amount of yellow undertone. It was an exact match
- bottle is really elegant

negatives:
- very expensive
- didn't add 'luminosity' had a very matte finish
- dried out my skin - despite me using skincare under the product.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a review in progress but here my thoughts. I applied this at 9am and tested it by doing errands, yard work, walking dog, etc. I also prepped it with serum, moisturizer, and Hourglass no. 28 primer.
Pro:
- Normally I never review on color alone, but I feel like Armani NAILED it with the correct amount of yellow. Didn't oxidize, stayed true to color.
- low alcohol- didn't itch or irritate like others (ahem, DIOR!).
- blends in very well, as in doesn't look caky, doesn't emphasize pores.
- No SPF (I prefer my foundations without it).
- sheer to medium coverage.

Cons:
- NOTHING luminous about this. It tries down to matte.
- I am VERY dry. This moved and pilled immediately on my dry spots. I expected MUCH more from a $60+ dollar foundation that markets itself as luminous and silky. Using it under eye was a huge no-no. I wound up wiping it off and sticking with just concealer.
- The price- I just don't understand how this can be so expensive when there are better formulas that cost less or the same.
- Didn't hold up very well doing moderate activities like raking and mild sweating in 70 degree sunshine. It's five hours later and I can see areas where the foundation has started to break down. That's totally unacceptable for such a ridiculous price tag.

In short, I really wanted to like this. Alas, it don't love it. Perhaps it would be absolutely worth all the hype on people with normal/oily skin. On my dry skin however, it moved and faded in record time. This was intended for my wedding makeup, and if it couldn't handle being outside for a couple hours in spring, there is no way I see it lasting an entire afternoon and evening on a hot June day.