April 18, 2014 | 936 users online

Styling Products - Bumble & Bumble - Surf Spray

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2012 3:54:00 PM More reviews by esssyyy

I LOVE this product - I feel like a lot of people don't understand how to use this product. For me, I get out of the shower - part my hair but don't brush it (if I brush it, my hair falls straighter and its harder to scrunch), blow-dry it a little until its damp, then spray some of this in and scrunch my hair.I blowdry it again while using one hand to scrunch it and i let it air-dry. I usually hop in the car and go to work at this point while it's still damp and I scrunch it some more as it dries. I get really nice beachy waves on my straight/layered hair. I usually use this product 3-4 days in a row and then realize I need to actually brush my hair. Use a good conditioner since this is drying. Unlike other reviewers, this doesn't actually damage my hair long-term. I've tried a couple other surf sprays from high-end and drugstore brands (Katwalk, Not Your Mother's, etc.) and it just doesn't work as well as Bumble and Bumble. Wish it smelled better and was less expensive, but I will still continue to buy.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/4/2012 10:08:00 PM More reviews by hunnybunnyipm

This is one where it's not the best, but it's one of the better I've found. First off, it's a little stinky. Like it's not a smell that doesn't appeal to me, it's just a bad smell. Almost musty, so I have to use perfume or something in my hair afterwards.

I'm also going to say that no product gives you gorgeous beachy waves, or at least no product does for me (man my hair hates to hold a curl). It takes some work, but this plus Liqwd's The Perfect Wave and a diffuser make the least possible work (ie, only six or seven well place curls with the iron, vs 15 or 20 - I got a lot of hair).

I've used this solo, and it's okay, but I have to use a lot, it makes my hair really sticky, and there's the stinky factor.

I realize I'm not making it sound great, but it does work and that's more than I can say for a lot of the other products on the market. For those of you with stick straight hair I strongly recommend a bottle of this plus Liqwd's The Perfect Wave and a diffuser. They're not cheap, but will last you forever especially if you use them together and require the least amount of curling iron touch ups. I also get 2-3 days if I use some dry shampoo out of it. I use the B&B on the second day with the diffuser and an iron for some touch ups.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2012 9:55:00 AM More reviews by rachelleanita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product is not for those with lack of hair skills (like me). My salon actually had a surfing themed party that taught us multiple looks to do with this product and how to use it. It's complicated, which is probably why people are having issues with it looking limp and weighed down. Even after that class I'm still not sure what to do with it, other than spray it on my roots so they are easier to tease, or spray it on damp hair and put them in braids to dry. It is made to be MATTE not shiny, so they recommended using a shine spray if you didn't like the matte look. It helps add texture to your hair and make it looks messy and piecey. So if you curl your hair and it's too perfectly curled, spray this in it and run your fingers through. I have seen it look good with a stylist using it properly, but I don't think I'll ever be able to get it to that point. I wouldn't buy it again but I don't think it's a bad product.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by Heyitskristina

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My Cousin actually gave this to me! But the first time i used this my head was itching, and after i read a review on makeupalley i knew it was from that. Also it kind of dries out my hair :( Well i have naturally curly hair but this spray just gives it a touch of gorgeous ! I would not buy it myself since it's so expensive! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Sarag1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can totally understand bad reviews based on drying out the hair and and scalp irritation; salt does provide volume but it is very bad for your hair and not the best product for a sensitive scalp. However, the key to this product is to use it sparingly. Three times a week is about the maximum and use a moisturising shampoo and conditioner or weekly hair masks. Depending on your hair length you will need three to seven sprays. If it leaves your hair dry/ sticky/ limp you are using too much. It also isn't designed to give you instant waves. Either use it after curling your hair to muss it up, when hair is very damp to naturally dry into messy kinks or on damp hair before you braid them at night. A very good product with admittedly a very high price. After all, it is only salt and water

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2012 11:26:00 PM More reviews by debbrumb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I got this a few months ago after everyone at Sephora raved about it. It weighed down my hair and made it feel sticky kinda. Like an ocean water feeling which i know is its purpose but didn't like the feel. Didn't enhance my curl. Didn't feel like it did anything and didn't like the feel of it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2012 10:50:00 PM More reviews by richellealexis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Although it is extraordinarily expensive, this is the only salt spray that actually does what it says. A little goes a long way with this stuff, and if you apply too much your hair will definitely feel like sand! Just a couple sprays throughout my hair gives just enough to create a messy, beachy look to my waves.
Even though the price is really high, I will buy it again just because it works that good. The bottle will last you a very long time, too.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2012 5:08:00 AM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

$24+Hawaii tax at my local Sephora. Does the job of giving more texture to your hair for a beachy, messy look. Smells like hairspray. Def dries out your hair so I like to apply Josie maran's argan oil to the ends of my hair. Great product but not that great for me to spend that much money on it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2012 3:19:00 PM More reviews by BubbleTeaGirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love more controlled wave and volume that will stay all day? Here is how you do it. Start with slightly damp hair. Twirl the hair into 4 sections. Spray the surf spray into the twirled hair sections, then clip or pin them up until dry. Let the sections of hair down once they dry without disturbing the twirl, run a flat iron over the sections of twirled hair. Let the hair cool, and then release the twirl. Fluff or scrunch or twirl your hair however you like it. For more definition, spray a little surf spray on your hands, rub them together, and then use on any pieces of hair you want to bring out. Voila, beautiful beachy waves without the frizz and mess.

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by audmac

Ive tried this a few times but it just doesnt do anything good for my hair. It just makes it crunchy and thicker which for me is not a good thing because its already quite thick to begin with. I suspected that something I was using was making my head itch like crazy and after reading a review here I see that this was it. Especially since my hair hasnt itched since I last used this stuff. It smells kinda bad to me also-like sweat, although thankfully the smell goes away pretty quickly. I plan to try a few more "recipes" from the b+b website before giving up on this one since it gets such good recs from the stylists.