August 30, 2014 | 1791 users online

Styling Products - Bumble & Bumble - Surf Spray

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2013 8:09:00 AM More reviews by inkyblaine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a pricey product( maybe 25$) but I have had my bottle for almost 2 years so it was worth it. I only use it about once a week because I have heard that all "salt sprays" will dry your hair out. Although I have a lot of hair, it is thin and this product really gives my hair texture. I use no more than 3 sprays and I am done. I especially love this product on the weekends If I am just hanging out and want to throw my hair in a ponytail, it gives me a great massive/messy ponytail I need in my life. My bottle is coming towards the end of its life and I plan to repurchase asap.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/20/2013 1:00:00 PM More reviews by loveohnine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have thick wavy hair. After using B&B spray, all it did was passively create some waves while more so creating a lot of frizz. Rather stick to Garnier Fructis surf hair wax (does a much better job in my opinion).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by charlies04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have very fine, long and limp hair. I was wanting to achieve the voluminous baywatch beach blonde look with this product, and I was pleased that this product gave me instant volume and I do like the overall look. The only downsides for me is the damaging of my already brittle bleached blonde hair......this product definitely doesn't do anything to help the condition of my hair. The price is expensive (I ordered it online and I was shocked at how little the 125ml bottle was-even with 5 off the RRP) but I do feel this is a trust worthy product that gives results.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/26/2013 11:53:00 AM More reviews by iridescent

As for the product itself, it's a passable salt spray, for those classic beachy waves. It works well enough-- not fabulous, but it does the job. The packaging is fine, the pricing a bit high, but it's about what one would expect for B&B as a brand. The smell isn't terrible, but there is something bugspray-ish about it. Especially when first applied, it's very piercing and astringent, but dies down to something less offensive (though not really appealing to me, it's trying too hard to smell "fresh," I think).

The problem for me is that something in this product, and it seems in most of the B&B line, triggers vicious allergies in me. Awhile after applying the spray, my face, scalp, and hairline begin to itch, and it doesn't go away until I've washed my hair VERY thoroughly and laundered any clothing it may have misted down on. Oh, well.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2013 2:03:00 PM More reviews by 0hVivian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have super straight Asian hair with no texture at all. I like this product because it gives me tons of texture!!!

I spray some on after my hair is towel dried, mess it up a bit and dry it with a diffuser, after I use with my curling iron for a more polished wavy, curly look. It also holds my curls longer versus using no product in my hair though my curls do start to flatten out after a workday.

I like the messy, textured look it gives me, but it doesn't give me any wave/curl on its own since my hair is natural very straight.

The packaging is adorable, but overall it's pricey for such a small bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2012 11:26:00 AM More reviews by ssaddle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

You know those days when you don't want to do much, this is the only product I'll use. Wash, condition, towel dry, comb out and then I'll blow dry on warm then cool for a few minutes, leaving it slightly damp. Then I'll spray about 4 spritzes around my head, scrunch it in and then use a fine comb to lift and twirl and my hair has this perfect beach feel to it. I have fine, straight hair and this gives me volume and texture and I love the scent to it (although like all BB products, they don't last which I'm glad about). This isn't going to make your hair shiny, its a matte finish, like a day at the beach. Love the look and feel of my hair with this product. I've been using this for years and have tried others, but they don't work like this one for my type of hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2012 7:56:00 PM More reviews by NikkiBabieeXo

I like this product. I was drawn to it because I love beachy hair & I kept seeing it all over magazines. Once I saw a huge window ad for it at Blue Mercury, I had to buy it. I love the appearance of this product & the smell. I also love how it doesn't make your hair stiff or "crunchy", your hair is still manageable. I have naturally straight hair & for me, this product works better when my hair is damp & I put it in a bun (after spraying some in). It made my hair pretty wavy, without the stiffness I got using Aussie's Scrunch Spray. Yes, this product is a little on the pricey side (I paid $24.00) but what Bumble & Bumble product isn't? Overall, I would recommend this product. :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2012 12:46:00 PM More reviews by MissusJones

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

It's rare for me to be totally disappointed in a Bumble and Bumble product...even the ones I wasn't sure about eventually grew on me and ended up in my regular use arsenal. That is, except Surf Spray. I can see this product being doable for people with normal hair in good condition, but for my dry, color treated hair, it was not a good fit. It made my hair "crispy and crunchy" as my husband said, and the breakage I got when I used it was insane :( And that was after a deep conditioning session. I just don't really see the point other than a quirky marketing gimmick...with the whole "beach hair" thing and "salt water infused spray". It sounds super...but honestly, I don't know many people who come in off the beach with hair that's not a dry tangled mass...even if it does look good! Yet alas, I fell for it too...and sprayed drying, overpriced, salt water ino my hair expecting it to magically transform into Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition hair! Yeahhhh i didnt quite get that effect lol! The packaging is quite nice, B&B strayed from the simple plastic bottle on this one and despite the product contained inside, it's an attractive bottle that's easy to grip. Sorry B&B...I'm just not sold on this one :/

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2012 7:43:00 PM More reviews by coolhomesinpalmsprings

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

While the product is not cheap, one container lasted me for a long time. I didn't use it everyday, as I alternate products on my hair. I am a man with thinning hair, but I am thankful for what I do have, and this enhances my look a great deal. The scent is minimal, fresh and not feminine. Without some kind of product in my hair, I get fly away... and it is a pain. I don't want to make my hair look controlled, and this does give some control without looking it. Sometimes when I don't want the surf look and I am styling my hair for work and I have an off day, I can use this and get it back where I want with little trouble. Anyone that complains about a product should use less. With this, less is just right. At least for me it is. When I use it, I might put a little on wet hair, and then let it just start to dry naturally, then I may blow dry a little. After that, I spray a couple of sprays on my hands and shape it with my fingers. After it's dry, just a bit of hairspray makes the tossled look stay all day. I love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2012 11:31:00 AM More reviews by lifesci99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have your typical straight, smooth Asian hair, although it does hold a curl well (the curls will still be there the next day if I don't wash it). I bought this, like everyone else, because I covet beachy waves, even though I've had beachy waves before (at the beach, my hair would have two looks: wet and straight, or dry and straight). This works really well to give my hair some texture - I'll spray it in damp hair and let it dry in a bun, in which case it'll be quite curly, or spray it in dry hair and put it up in a bun for a while, which gives me beach-esque waves when I let it loose. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I wonder if a home-made salt water spray would work similarly?