July 29, 2014 | 1887 users online

Styling Products - Bumble & Bumble - Surf Spray

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2012 11:26:00 AM More reviews by ssaddle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

You know those days when you don't want to do much, this is the only product I'll use. Wash, condition, towel dry, comb out and then I'll blow dry on warm then cool for a few minutes, leaving it slightly damp. Then I'll spray about 4 spritzes around my head, scrunch it in and then use a fine comb to lift and twirl and my hair has this perfect beach feel to it. I have fine, straight hair and this gives me volume and texture and I love the scent to it (although like all BB products, they don't last which I'm glad about). This isn't going to make your hair shiny, its a matte finish, like a day at the beach. Love the look and feel of my hair with this product. I've been using this for years and have tried others, but they don't work like this one for my type of hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2012 7:56:00 PM More reviews by NikkiBabieeXo

I like this product. I was drawn to it because I love beachy hair & I kept seeing it all over magazines. Once I saw a huge window ad for it at Blue Mercury, I had to buy it. I love the appearance of this product & the smell. I also love how it doesn't make your hair stiff or "crunchy", your hair is still manageable. I have naturally straight hair & for me, this product works better when my hair is damp & I put it in a bun (after spraying some in). It made my hair pretty wavy, without the stiffness I got using Aussie's Scrunch Spray. Yes, this product is a little on the pricey side (I paid $24.00) but what Bumble & Bumble product isn't? Overall, I would recommend this product. :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2012 12:46:00 PM More reviews by MissusJones

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

It's rare for me to be totally disappointed in a Bumble and Bumble product...even the ones I wasn't sure about eventually grew on me and ended up in my regular use arsenal. That is, except Surf Spray. I can see this product being doable for people with normal hair in good condition, but for my dry, color treated hair, it was not a good fit. It made my hair "crispy and crunchy" as my husband said, and the breakage I got when I used it was insane :( And that was after a deep conditioning session. I just don't really see the point other than a quirky marketing gimmick...with the whole "beach hair" thing and "salt water infused spray". It sounds super...but honestly, I don't know many people who come in off the beach with hair that's not a dry tangled mass...even if it does look good! Yet alas, I fell for it too...and sprayed drying, overpriced, salt water ino my hair expecting it to magically transform into Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition hair! Yeahhhh i didnt quite get that effect lol! The packaging is quite nice, B&B strayed from the simple plastic bottle on this one and despite the product contained inside, it's an attractive bottle that's easy to grip. Sorry B&B...I'm just not sold on this one :/

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2012 7:43:00 PM More reviews by coolhomesinpalmsprings

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

While the product is not cheap, one container lasted me for a long time. I didn't use it everyday, as I alternate products on my hair. I am a man with thinning hair, but I am thankful for what I do have, and this enhances my look a great deal. The scent is minimal, fresh and not feminine. Without some kind of product in my hair, I get fly away... and it is a pain. I don't want to make my hair look controlled, and this does give some control without looking it. Sometimes when I don't want the surf look and I am styling my hair for work and I have an off day, I can use this and get it back where I want with little trouble. Anyone that complains about a product should use less. With this, less is just right. At least for me it is. When I use it, I might put a little on wet hair, and then let it just start to dry naturally, then I may blow dry a little. After that, I spray a couple of sprays on my hands and shape it with my fingers. After it's dry, just a bit of hairspray makes the tossled look stay all day. I love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2012 11:31:00 AM More reviews by lifesci99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have your typical straight, smooth Asian hair, although it does hold a curl well (the curls will still be there the next day if I don't wash it). I bought this, like everyone else, because I covet beachy waves, even though I've had beachy waves before (at the beach, my hair would have two looks: wet and straight, or dry and straight). This works really well to give my hair some texture - I'll spray it in damp hair and let it dry in a bun, in which case it'll be quite curly, or spray it in dry hair and put it up in a bun for a while, which gives me beach-esque waves when I let it loose. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I wonder if a home-made salt water spray would work similarly?

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2012 6:46:00 PM More reviews by beautykrazy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I finally caved & bought this cult fave after years of trying cheaper brands in the hope that I didn't need to spend on the original. No such luck! I've been using the trial size available from larger dept. stores that stock Bumble & B. Pricey, but worth it. I really enjoy this and thank it for restoring my hair confidence, as this gives me the wave and volume I had as a teenager. I've always been a devotee of beachy waves, anything with "tousled", "textured", "surfy", "beachy" in the title has my attention. Whereas I've used and liked the results that other sprays gave (eg. I like Tigi Totally Beachin'), this showed me what I was missing. None of the other salt sprays give me hair that actually looks like I've been in the sea, with enhanced messy, deconstructed curls. This also works as a general volume & texture spray for non-surf styles. Of course, any salt spray will dry the hair to some extent. But this actaully dries my hair far, far less than other brands. I use it with Moroccan Oil (on damp hair), spraying by section then combing, tousling with fingers and adding a few finger twirls. Perfect, and the using the Morr. Oil first eliminates dryness for me. I do use a heavier conditoner after a day with this but that's fine, no longer term damage as with other brands. I don't find it leaves me with matted, gunked-up hair as some have done. It really is just what I've wanted from surf sprays so I'm impressed.The spray nozzle distributes fine mist superbly, getting the product easily through hair without having to use too much - a big plus for me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2012 3:54:00 PM More reviews by esssyyy

I LOVE this product - I feel like a lot of people don't understand how to use this product. For me, I get out of the shower - part my hair but don't brush it (if I brush it, my hair falls straighter and its harder to scrunch), blow-dry it a little until its damp, then spray some of this in and scrunch my hair.I blowdry it again while using one hand to scrunch it and i let it air-dry. I usually hop in the car and go to work at this point while it's still damp and I scrunch it some more as it dries. I get really nice beachy waves on my straight/layered hair. I usually use this product 3-4 days in a row and then realize I need to actually brush my hair. Use a good conditioner since this is drying. Unlike other reviewers, this doesn't actually damage my hair long-term. I've tried a couple other surf sprays from high-end and drugstore brands (Katwalk, Not Your Mother's, etc.) and it just doesn't work as well as Bumble and Bumble. Wish it smelled better and was less expensive, but I will still continue to buy.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/4/2012 10:08:00 PM More reviews by hunnybunnyipm

This is one where it's not the best, but it's one of the better I've found. First off, it's a little stinky. Like it's not a smell that doesn't appeal to me, it's just a bad smell. Almost musty, so I have to use perfume or something in my hair afterwards.

I'm also going to say that no product gives you gorgeous beachy waves, or at least no product does for me (man my hair hates to hold a curl). It takes some work, but this plus Liqwd's The Perfect Wave and a diffuser make the least possible work (ie, only six or seven well place curls with the iron, vs 15 or 20 - I got a lot of hair).

I've used this solo, and it's okay, but I have to use a lot, it makes my hair really sticky, and there's the stinky factor.

I realize I'm not making it sound great, but it does work and that's more than I can say for a lot of the other products on the market. For those of you with stick straight hair I strongly recommend a bottle of this plus Liqwd's The Perfect Wave and a diffuser. They're not cheap, but will last you forever especially if you use them together and require the least amount of curling iron touch ups. I also get 2-3 days if I use some dry shampoo out of it. I use the B&B on the second day with the diffuser and an iron for some touch ups.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2012 9:55:00 AM More reviews by rachelleanita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product is not for those with lack of hair skills (like me). My salon actually had a surfing themed party that taught us multiple looks to do with this product and how to use it. It's complicated, which is probably why people are having issues with it looking limp and weighed down. Even after that class I'm still not sure what to do with it, other than spray it on my roots so they are easier to tease, or spray it on damp hair and put them in braids to dry. It is made to be MATTE not shiny, so they recommended using a shine spray if you didn't like the matte look. It helps add texture to your hair and make it looks messy and piecey. So if you curl your hair and it's too perfectly curled, spray this in it and run your fingers through. I have seen it look good with a stylist using it properly, but I don't think I'll ever be able to get it to that point. I wouldn't buy it again but I don't think it's a bad product.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by Heyitskristina

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My Cousin actually gave this to me! But the first time i used this my head was itching, and after i read a review on makeupalley i knew it was from that. Also it kind of dries out my hair :( Well i have naturally curly hair but this spray just gives it a touch of gorgeous ! I would not buy it myself since it's so expensive! :)