November 29, 2014 | 982 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Bois des Iles

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2009 6:22:00 PM More reviews by elfriede

This review is for the vintage parfum. Bois des Iles is similar to No. 5 in its soft, abstract-floral quality and in the use of aldehydes, but the aldehydes are gentler here, which may make Bois des Iles easier to wear for those who find No. 5 too dated. No. 5 is one I wear a dab of, now and then, at home, because of its mid-20th century "boudoir" vibe. This, I would wear anywhere. The floral notes melt into the skin in that lovely way of perfumes with a lot of expensive naturals. Lots of creamy sandalwood plus that "gingerbread accord" (I smell mostly coriander but also ginger, nutmeg, almond) warm the floral notes enough for fall and winter wear. Wears well with almost anything, but I like it best with my softest, snuggliest sweaters.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2009 4:59:00 PM More reviews by emmagreen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I v. much respect this perfume. Based on how powdery (and white chocolate sweet) I found this, I expected this is what Coromandle would have smelled like. Though, this is not in any way gouramond-- it's a Chanel Boutique frag, and yes, it smells expensive, and also light, v. diffuse. The more things I've smelled I think it's actually the sandalwood I'm smelling, except its nothing like the Indian Sandlewood soaps I remember, before Sandlewood became so nearly extinct. I agree w/ the reviewer below who said there seems to be a structural overlap in the chanel boutique fragrances; the aldehydes? Lasting power maybe a couple hours, but i have dry skin. Though, i catch traces of it hours after that. This review is not doing this justice at all. I have a very hard time coming up w/ any other frag that to my nose smells even remotely like it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2009 5:48:00 PM More reviews by lvpoetess

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Truly a classic, and one of the few woody perfumes I can wear. I find this one hard to describe, but to me it's like wearing a soft cashmere scarf on cold days. I don't own a full bottle because the ones Chanel sells are so huge, but I hope they release smaller sizes someday. I would like this bottle to sit with my no.5 I took off one point for lousy staying power - I get 3 hours tops with this, again making smaller sizes necessary, since I'm not going to tote the huge vat they sell around with me.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2008 2:39:00 PM More reviews by liontigre

It it very warm and it lasts very long, the only thing I didn't like about it was it smells a bit "old", maybe too sophisticated for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2008 4:52:00 PM More reviews by pusca

This is one of my all time favourite fragrances. I absolutely adore Bois des Iles. I just wish Chanel would release an EDP or make the parfum again. I keep trying out new scents when they're released and yet i always come back to this. This is woods - smooth, sensual and creamy woods. Divine ...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2008 5:35:00 AM More reviews by Mimiacid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

The only way I can describe this perfume is by saying that it smells like a woman. But not just any woman. Imagine Botticelli's Venus on her shell, and then imagine how fragrant the skin of such an idealized beauty would be. This comes close to the effect of Bois des Iles... it is a kind of ur-perfume, a perfect poem describing idealized femininity. It is tremendously gentle, superbly balanced between sweet woods, florals and aldehydes. After the first 'fix' of aldehydes, it develops on the skin into a fragrance so beautifully blended, so whisper-soft that it breaks the heart.

And yet it is not a 'special occasion' kind of scent - it is not about fireworks. You can wear it every day and it becomes a part of your skin, a part of your being. To say it is perfect signature-scent material sounds impertinent, since it is a masterpiece and one cannot personalise a masterpiece, but Bois des Iles runs counter to that notion. It is at once grand and intimate. If I ever need a reminder of why I'm obsessed with perfume, Bois des Iles is it.

18 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2008 6:37:00 AM More reviews by Beauty0Marked

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Notes: vetiver, tonka bean, vanilla, ylang ylang, iris, coriander, rose, jasmine and aldehydes.
This is a very lovely woody scent. It's elegant, classic, sophisticated, warm and very smooth. I'm glad that I bought a sample of this.
I'm not sure how much this retails for here in the UK but you can expect to pay out a pretty nice price for this, I'm sure. Of course the packaging is the usual divine, timeless stuff that you can expect of Chanel.
It seems a shame to give this only three lippies but it just doesn't completely bowl me over but it is indeed very beautiful.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/29/2008 3:35:00 PM More reviews by rpolisk

How sad! Based on the reviews and blogs thought I would want gallons of this. Found instead that one scant spritz was PLENTY. Aldehydes galore, without the sparkling sexy mischeviousness of No. 5
Indeed, if I hadn't sprayed this myself at the Chanel boutique, I would swear someone was trying to pass off a bad No. 5 dupe.
No go.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2008 9:34:00 AM More reviews by MaeBoscana

Wonderful! My fragrance staple, Bois des Iles is the kind of woman I want to be: warm, sophisticated, full of heart and comfort, but calm and confident. Like many other great fragrances it is full of life, changing every time, always itself, but somehow different. In the outdoors, especially in cool weather, its florals sparkle a little more, in a cozy spot, its vanilla/ginger warms seems to mimic the mood.

I wear the parfum, it opens with a creamy rose, sandalwood, plenty of aldehydes. As it develops, I notice more jasmine and ginger melding with the sandalwood base. I have never tried and EdT and I would like to see if there are noticeable differences.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2008 9:22:00 AM More reviews by angeleyes022

I found this perfume to be quite sickening to be honest. I had high hopes for it, based on the reviews. I find it very powdery, musky and intensely strong. It actually made my stomach churn, and that's tough to do - I am a perfume lover and can stand some of the strongest fragrances around.

Gave this extra points because the lasting quality is terrific - however - it is extremely headache inducing, and far too powdery for my likings - reminds me a lot of Chanel #5 - smells almost identical on me.