July 23, 2014 | 1115 users online

Cleansers - Dermalogica - Ultra Calming Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2011 2:41:00 AM More reviews by poppydoll

I first used this in highschool when my skin went haywire and broke out in an arsenal of cystic zits. I was previously using ProActive for my acne-prone skin, but had to stop because after years of use it started to dry the hell out of my face. My cousin, who happened to be an esthetician, recommended this to me saying I had sensitive skin (which I didnt believe) and I flat out denied her the first time since I had always used stronger, sudsy products. Out of desperation, I finally decided to try it, and I have to say it is responsible for healing my face. I'm not sure why I ditched it after it was so good to me, but years later my skin started acting up again (zits/itchy dry skin that was also oily) and this again came to the rescue.

It does what it's name says, it's calming and very soothing. The consistency is creamy and it does not lather up at all. I remember when I first tried it, I absolutely hated the fact that it didn't get sudsy because I felt like it wasn't cleaning my face, just pushing grease around. But there's no fragrance, no soap, nothing about it irritates my skin. My face does not feel tight after I wash it off, which was a feeling I had to get used to as my previous products always made me feel squeaky and tight. I always have a bottle on hand in case my skin starts to burn or get crazy itchy (winter time) and it has always helped. I would only recommend this to people with sensitive skin though, as my sister has used it (normal skin) and although she says it's not terrible, it's not good for her either. She thinks it's kind of useless whereas I wouldn't be able to live without it.

I heard Cetaphil was comparable but unfortunately, the product left some sort of a film on my face and it just didnt feel as nice. Dermalogica's UltraCalming Cleanser is the winner for me! :D

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2011 10:42:00 PM More reviews by aporcupine

I have used this product on and off for some years. I wasn't completely satisfied with it but I kept on coming back because I couldn't find anything better--trouble was that I didn't know how to best use it.

One of the reviews here (thank you) advised wiping the cleanser off by using a washcloth or cotton pad and that step was what I missed all along. I know the instructions on the bottle suggests that too but I have always thought it's the same as rinsing with water--guess not. I have searched high and low for a makeup remover (tried Clinique's Take the Day Off Balm, Dermalogica and other oil cleansers--all without success, they give me cystic acne) and there it was all long, in front of me.

Anyway, I don't put on a lot of make-up but use an spf40 sunscreen with tint daily so taking that off is a priority. And when using foundation, I just massage the Ultra Calming Cleanser longer (a minute more or two) to loosen up make-up and I am assured that I am still not over-stripping moisture from my face. Then using a cotton pad (MUA recommended Shiseido) I wipe it all off --this method really ups the effectivity of the product, I guess the cotton fibers are better at catching the makeup, grime and oil from face than hands. After this, I still give my face a rinse of lukewarm water, then cold water, then a use a non-alchoholic mild toner to make sure I take off everything-- depending on what I put on my face for that day, I sometimes I see very slight traces of sunscreen tint or foundation but am not bothered because that is what the toner is for.

I love the product's consistency--I usually massage my face whenever I cleanse, so gel and foam type usually does not work as they are too harsh to be left on skin for longer time.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2011 3:18:00 AM More reviews by Sarz_1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

My beautician gave me this recently to try as she thought I was using too many exfoliants in my skincare routine.

Given that I actually quite like a lot of the new products Dermalogica have been bringing out (generally the Age Smart range) I thought there would be no harm in trying this, and it's supposedly Ultracalming.

Well, I can't say that it worked for me. Within a week of using this I had breakouts, more blackheads than usual and there was nothing calm about my skin.

I know it was this as this was the only product I had added or changed in my routine at the time.

I am a bit sad this didn't work, but my skin seems to be very anti to sensitive skin products. This may work for people with less reactive skin than me. It was actually a nice textured cleanser and wasn't too fragranced. I might give this another go in the future, but for now this is on my blacklist. Such a shame.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2011 2:35:00 PM More reviews by Nerds99

This is my HG cleanser. The best way I can describe my skin is CONFUSED. It is extremely sensitive (the natural oils from my face even irritate it), sometimes oily, sometimes dry, usually flaky and very acne prone. My skin was NEVER like this until about 4 or 5 years ago, and I was using acne cleansers and treatments to no avail. I used other Dermalogica products, and until recently, the Clean Start cleanser was my favorite. Then I hit 32 and my skin changed. It is now much drier and more delicate than before. My mother gave my daughter some Ultra Calming cleanser, and I decided to try it one night when my face was particularly irritated. I always use the Precleanse first, so a cleanser being strong enough to remove makeup is not a huge issue for me. After the first use, I noticed my skin was much softer, brighter and calm. I decided to buy a full-size bottle and I am SO glad I did. This stuff is AMAZING. I have not had a a breakout since I started using it, not even at that time of month. Sure, I'll get one blemish here and there, but they're few and far between, and my breakouts normally mean a minimum of three pimples. Not the case anymore, thanks to this cleanser. It calms my skin and makes it less reactive. Combined with the Precleanse, it is the perfect skincare regimen for someone with sensitive, acne-prone skin. I like the consistency and the light, pleasant smell. It almost numbs my face as I massage it into my skin. Your skin will feel a little weird as you rinse it, but once you pat it dry, it just feels like nice, normal, healthy skin :) I highly recommend it to everyone, no matter the skin type, in combination with the Precleanse.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/18/2011 9:38:00 PM More reviews by d7293

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Did not irritate my sensitive skin, but nor did it clean. Had to wash face twice in a row to ensure skin was properly cleansed. Some may not like the lack of suds when applied.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2011 10:22:00 AM More reviews by lovejess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a really great cleanser. Gentle, yet cleans perfectly. I have normal, combination skin and didn't need to use a product targeted for sensitive skin, but this works well for me.

I wear full make-up everyday, and my cleansing regime would be to remove my make-up with cleansing wipes, then wash my face with Ultra Calming Cleanser.

It is indicated on the bottle that the product should go on a dry face, but the SA told me that it would be better to moisten your face, unless your skin is sensitive even to water. A little goes a long way. I like that it gets slippery and smooth, and there is no fragrance, too.

After washing off with water there is no tight feeling at all, and my face feels soft and moist, even though I don't tone or moisturize... bad, I know...

It is not expensive - the bottle can last at least 6 months for me! Only downside is the packaging... I would much prefer if it was a squeeze out bottle, but then again all Dermalogica bottles are like this.

Overall, my skin became better after using this cleanser for less than 1 year :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2011 5:37:00 PM More reviews by kellirae

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Not a fan of this one at all. Doesnt feel like it cleanses my skin. Its greasy feeling to me and leaves a film on my face. Will not buy again!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2011 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Verifty

Great cleanser. I have got a very sensitive skin and I'm allergic to most skin-care. This is the first product that feels totally great on my skin. It didn't give me any irritations or itch. It cleans my face really well and doesn't dry out my face.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2011 4:07:00 PM More reviews by gurululu

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used a sample of this before I bought it. It felt soothing and creamy. My skin never felt dry after using it. I purchased it and discovered once I was back in my daily work routine, that it doesn't take off makeup. The fact that it doesn't lather or foam made me feel unclean. It took off no water based mascara, not even a bit. I would recommend this for someone who has rosacea or really dry skin that doesn't get any clogged pores and certainly doesn't wear makeup.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2011 8:23:00 PM More reviews by Carybear

I still love Special Cleansing Gel, but I think the bottle I have is contaminated. I can't be so sure, because Ive added Daily Microfoliant every am. Whatever the case I started getting painful little spots. I went and bought Ultra Calming Cleanser under the logical assumption that because I was using Daily Microfoliant, which contains salicylic acid, perhaps with SCG it was too much.
I don't know. I'm not loving it. I really don't like the texture. I dislike gooey, viscous cleansers like spectrogel and the like. I love a foaming cleanser. Also, since I've started using this, my skin has a slightly sandy feel when I wash...a sign to me of mildly clogged pores. I think I'll exchange it for my HG and see if it's a contamination issue.
I'll update. I'd hate to have to ditch the Microfoliant. I've held back on a review because I'm superstitious.