Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser

3.9

Not tested on animals

NEW INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Bisabolol, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Glycerin, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Butylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Hydroxyphenyl Propamidobenzoic Acid, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Fumaric Acid, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Echinacea Purpurea Extract, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Cetyl Trimethyl Ammonium Chloride, Salix Alba Bark Extract, Usnea Barbata (Lichen) Extract, Glyceryl Caprylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Panthenol, Aminomethyl Propanol (05/2011). OLD INGREDIENTS: Lavandula Angustifolia(Lavendar) Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonium (Lemon) Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Extract, Fumaric Acid, Cucumis Sativis (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium CHloride Phosphate, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Acrylkates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, AMinomethyl Propanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben 5/20/09

on 11/30/2011 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is a review for the original formula (I havent tried the new version yet) This cleanser is a thick almost clear like gel which I find easily takes off all my makeup whether I tissue it off or rinse, and it doesnt irritate or leave my skin dry at all. I have very sensitive, irritated (from years of abuse) and combo skin. Its very gentle and I hope the new formula is just as good! EDIT: Sadly I found this doesnt take off makeup that well after all. Having to wipe it off was causing little veins on my cheeks, which are now disappearing since using a foaming cleanser again. 2 lippies off - better for no makeup days. I have also since tried the new version and it seems the same to me.

on 11/22/2011 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

have used special cleansing gel for years.
but this winter i thought i wanted something thats more fitting for this time of the year.
first of all i was so scared that something else than scg would give me bad skin, i was wrong. this is so wonderful.
everything isnt a gel cleanser often makes the skin bad. but this doesnt. no makeup left on skin, no pimples or clogging, even calms the skin, making it radiant.
this is a new (winter) favorite!

on 11/16/2011 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Overall this is a good cleanser. Though it is a bit expensive but it comes with the 500ml packaging in the pump. though i used it for a year now but i do not like much about the essential oils in it. And it does not have properties of anti bacteria so not very good for acne skin.
Still searching for a better cleanser

I purchased this product because as I'm getting into my 20's, my skin is starting to get dry... and sadly looking like it will be rosacea prone (it runs in the family). My skin has always been sensitive but now with it being dry it's real pain to fix. Anyway, I bought this with the starter kit (I use the cleanser, toner and barrier repair) and almost immediately saw a difference in the redness in my skin, around my nose and on my cheeks. It's 6 months later now and I'm verrrrry happy with this cleanser. I think what people don't realize about it is that it is for sensitized skin... if your skin reacts badly to other things and needs a bit of a gentle protective barrier this works well. I can see where it may be a problem for people with oily skin because it's not a very stringent cleanser. I use it twice a day... at night when I am taking off my makeup however, I use another cleanser (usually Cetaphil and once a week I'll exfoliate first) first because the Ultra Calming does not do a good job at all of getting makeup off. Not even with the aid of my Clarisonic. After washing my face now, I'm not left red and patchy and my skin isn't all tight feeling.... it's not amazing for keeping pimples at bay or getting rid of blackheads, but for me those aren't nearly as much a problem as the redness and dryness.
PROS: gentle, smells nice, fixed my red/dry/sensitive skin, nice packaging
CONS: fairly $$$$, doesn't wash away makeup well

on 9/23/2011 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

review for: ULTRA CALMING CLEANSER. I was using the Dermalogica Clearing Wash before this, I'm recently using acne medications - that makes my skin dry and SUPER sensitive, so I switched to something gentler.

The texture is similar to Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser (which I'm not really a fan), but this one doesn't leave a thin film, as gentle as well. It actually calms the burning sensation I get from using acne meds. It cleans better too.

Downsides:
1) It's pricey. I recommend Cetaphil for dupe, but like I said, Cetaphil leaves a thin film which I dislike.
2) I'm familiar using liquid cleansers, so this one is kind of thicker, gel-like form, so it's hard to squeeze it out from the bottle.

Will I repurchase? It's a yes or no. Given I have enough moolah for it, then yes. Otherwise, I can settle for a drugstore brand.

on 9/1/2011 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Not calming, at all. More angry red skin courtesy of Dermalogica, and this from a product meant to stop that reaction. Fortunately I bought the sample size set before committing to full size bottles. I would advise everyone to do so, as this line is very pricey and there is no way to tell which products are going to work out.

on 8/14/2011 2:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I first used this in highschool when my skin went haywire and broke out in an arsenal of cystic zits. I was previously using ProActive for my acne-prone skin, but had to stop because after years of use it started to dry the hell out of my face. My cousin, who happened to be an esthetician, recommended this to me saying I had sensitive skin (which I didnt believe) and I flat out denied her the first time since I had always used stronger, sudsy products. Out of desperation, I finally decided to try it, and I have to say it is responsible for healing my face. I'm not sure why I ditched it after it was so good to me, but years later my skin started acting up again (zits/itchy dry skin that was also oily) and this again came to the rescue.

It does what it's name says, it's calming and very soothing. The consistency is creamy and it does not lather up at all. I remember when I first tried it, I absolutely hated the fact that it didn't get sudsy because I felt like it wasn't cleaning my face, just pushing grease around. But there's no fragrance, no soap, nothing about it irritates my skin. My face does not feel tight after I wash it off, which was a feeling I had to get used to as my previous products always made me feel squeaky and tight. I always have a bottle on hand in case my skin starts to burn or get crazy itchy (winter time) and it has always helped. I would only recommend this to people with sensitive skin though, as my sister has used it (normal skin) and although she says it's not terrible, it's not good for her either. She thinks it's kind of useless whereas I wouldn't be able to live without it.

I heard Cetaphil was comparable but unfortunately, the product left some sort of a film on my face and it just didnt feel as nice. Dermalogica's UltraCalming Cleanser is the winner for me! :D

on 8/9/2011 10:42:00 PM

I have used this product on and off for some years. I wasn't completely satisfied with it but I kept on coming back because I couldn't find anything better--trouble was that I didn't know how to best use it.

One of the reviews here (thank you) advised wiping the cleanser off by using a washcloth or cotton pad and that step was what I missed all along. I know the instructions on the bottle suggests that too but I have always thought it's the same as rinsing with water--guess not. I have searched high and low for a makeup remover (tried Clinique's Take the Day Off Balm, Dermalogica and other oil cleansers--all without success, they give me cystic acne) and there it was all long, in front of me.

Anyway, I don't put on a lot of make-up but use an spf40 sunscreen with tint daily so taking that off is a priority. And when using foundation, I just massage the Ultra Calming Cleanser longer (a minute more or two) to loosen up make-up and I am assured that I am still not over-stripping moisture from my face. Then using a cotton pad (MUA recommended Shiseido) I wipe it all off --this method really ups the effectivity of the product, I guess the cotton fibers are better at catching the makeup, grime and oil from face than hands. After this, I still give my face a rinse of lukewarm water, then cold water, then a use a non-alchoholic mild toner to make sure I take off everything-- depending on what I put on my face for that day, I sometimes I see very slight traces of sunscreen tint or foundation but am not bothered because that is what the toner is for.

I love the product's consistency--I usually massage my face whenever I cleanse, so gel and foam type usually does not work as they are too harsh to be left on skin for longer time.

on 6/20/2011 3:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

My beautician gave me this recently to try as she thought I was using too many exfoliants in my skincare routine.

Given that I actually quite like a lot of the new products Dermalogica have been bringing out (generally the Age Smart range) I thought there would be no harm in trying this, and it's supposedly Ultracalming.

Well, I can't say that it worked for me. Within a week of using this I had breakouts, more blackheads than usual and there was nothing calm about my skin.

I know it was this as this was the only product I had added or changed in my routine at the time.

I am a bit sad this didn't work, but my skin seems to be very anti to sensitive skin products. This may work for people with less reactive skin than me. It was actually a nice textured cleanser and wasn't too fragranced. I might give this another go in the future, but for now this is on my blacklist. Such a shame.

on 5/27/2011 2:35:00 PM

This is my HG cleanser. The best way I can describe my skin is CONFUSED. It is extremely sensitive (the natural oils from my face even irritate it), sometimes oily, sometimes dry, usually flaky and very acne prone. My skin was NEVER like this until about 4 or 5 years ago, and I was using acne cleansers and treatments to no avail. I used other Dermalogica products, and until recently, the Clean Start cleanser was my favorite. Then I hit 32 and my skin changed. It is now much drier and more delicate than before. My mother gave my daughter some Ultra Calming cleanser, and I decided to try it one night when my face was particularly irritated. I always use the Precleanse first, so a cleanser being strong enough to remove makeup is not a huge issue for me. After the first use, I noticed my skin was much softer, brighter and calm. I decided to buy a full-size bottle and I am SO glad I did. This stuff is AMAZING. I have not had a a breakout since I started using it, not even at that time of month. Sure, I'll get one blemish here and there, but they're few and far between, and my breakouts normally mean a minimum of three pimples. Not the case anymore, thanks to this cleanser. It calms my skin and makes it less reactive. Combined with the Precleanse, it is the perfect skincare regimen for someone with sensitive, acne-prone skin. I like the consistency and the light, pleasant smell. It almost numbs my face as I massage it into my skin. Your skin will feel a little weird as you rinse it, but once you pat it dry, it just feels like nice, normal, healthy skin :) I highly recommend it to everyone, no matter the skin type, in combination with the Precleanse.