BeneFit Cosmetics Moon Beam

3.6

Water, Propylene Glycol, Sesame Oil, Isopropyl Palmitate, Isopropyl Lanolate, Stearic Acid, Safflower Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, Polysorbate 60, Cetyl Alcohol, Jojoba Oil, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Corn Starch, Triethanolamine, Oleth-20, Sorbitan Stearate, Simethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Cellulose Gum, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance, BHA. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Silica.

on 2/14/2012 7:01:00 AM

PROS :
1) I'm fair skinned so the creamy apricot tones of this highlighter work well with my colouring.
2) I like that it's not glittery and gives a subtle, more natural looking sheen to the parts you choose to highlight, rather than giving that glittery 1970's disco look which is not really suitable for daytime (nor a look that is very "me").
3) You can build it for a more dramatic, evening look if you want.
4) The effect is long lasting
5) The pot lasts ages so even though the initial cost may seem high, per use, it's not bad at all.

CONS :
1) The bottle & brush set up is a bit messy and tough to use. A pump dispenser would've been more sensible
2) It takes a bit of practice to use properly. If you don't blend immediately, it will set and/or streak.

on 2/9/2012 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is an HG product for me. I use this atleast 3 times a week. I love the pink and pearly sort of glow from within that this gives me. It looks incredible yet natural with my blonde hair and fair skin. The packaging is cute, but bothersome. The bottle which is designed to look like nail polish collects lots of leftover product in the cap. After a year of owning this product the cap has goopy product in it. Yuck! But I still continue to use this product because I love the look that I achieve with it.

on 2/6/2012 11:17:00 PM

ok, I have used this for 2 yrs, Didn't gave up on it because i want to be able to say that i gave it a benefit of the doubt and also i wanted to finish the entire thing. I have a beige undertone, medium complexion but this hardly showed when i put it on..It didnt work on me.

on 2/4/2012 6:30:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I am NC35 with a kind of olive undertone. I have never used highlighters before this last few weeks and have now gone complete highlighter bonkers. I ordered tester sizes of all of the benefits one (as after texting everyone I know, most people recommended benefit).

If you are a highlighter virgin, can I just say - don't try them on at night for the first time as you will see the mica particles and mistake them for glitter, and be SUPER put off. In the day time and not with your nose in a mirror, you can't see any of this.

So moon beam was one of the first to arrive and I have to say its SUPER subtle. It describes itself as iridescent rather than (high beams) luminescent. I think its just a tad too subtle that it doesn't really give my complexion enough of a boost to be worth bothering with. I think this is because its a very champagney beigey sort of colour and with my slightly olive skin, it just sort of disappears. Would be good for someone who really wants something super subtle.

I will be using this tester just on my eyelids for a slight brightening effect on my natural tinted moisturiser look until it runs out.

on 1/22/2012 4:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I have indian skin tones and unforunatley this did not show up one bit on me. I tried on brow and cheek bones and did not show up:( high beam is always best for the brown ladies.

on 12/27/2011 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I really like this highlighter, brightens my complexion very nicely, a little on the expensive side, and I am not sure about the applicator, its like nail polish....not sure if this will be the best but shall see.

on 12/27/2011 7:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Cool

I absolutely love Love LOVE Moon Beam. I'm NC42 and it just gives my skin the funnest glow ever. I see a lot of reviews saying it didn't really show up. When I first bought it I didn't use it very much because I too had a hard time getting it to do anything for my skin BUT I've learned that it must be applied very liberally. I usually wear it on my cheekbones, down my nose, and occasionally on my inner corners and brow bone. I wouldn't recommend mixing with a foundation because it really doesn't contribute anything, probably because like I said you need a good amount of product to see results. While it is a bit overpriced, stupidly packaged (the wand is useless), and needs to be applied with a heavy hand, I will definitely overlook these drawbacks and buy it again. It's become something I cannot go without.

on 12/13/2011 8:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This product made its way into my hands despite tons of resistance on my part. Both the price and the packaging turned me off in a major way, but my search for a good cream highlighter kept bringing me right back. The thing that finally clinched the purchase was the fact that EVERY time I tried this product on, I would get compliments on my skin before I even left the mall. (Even at the notoriously snobby M.A.C. store in my area.) To this day it is obscene how many people comment on the way my skin looks when I am wearing this. It just looks good. The packaging definitely leaves much to be desired, but just grab a powder brush and blend the heck out of it. It's worked for me.

on 12/10/2011 8:24:00 AM

I am shocked at the amount of bad reviews Moon Beam gets here. I can see how one would frown at the price and the packaging but to other things like 'subtle' or 'not shimmery enough'? Ladies, know your product!
Let's get the bad things out of the way first: Benefit is really overpriced. Sure, the packaging may look cute but most of the products aren't that great. Second, the nail polish dupe applicator isn't hygienic, just like a normal lip gloss is not. Will they ever change it? No need to even hope...
Now the product itself: both High Beam and Moon Beam are runny. High Beam is a silvery light pink with noticeable shimmer and Moon Beam is a reflective holographic rose apricot with barely there shimmer. In terms of colour complexity, Moon Beam is more interesting but you have to know your skin tone and the effect you are looking for. If you are in the NC20-30 family (I am NC 20), Moon Beam is bound to look subtle on you depending on application because it would melt with the colour of your skin. If you want a starkish silvery highlight, then High Beam should be your choice. If you are cool toned and peach doesn't look good on you, stay away from Moon Beam.
Girls, anything 'with a sheen' is not bound to look natural, be it gold, pink, violet or apricot. If you want a natural highlighter, go for Becca's Pearl, Opal or Bronze. However, if you decide to stay with Moon Beam, have fun! Use it for day time with a light hand, because it does cast a lovely rose apricot sheen that is not over the top. It even works fine with different family colours: I am now wearing it with MAC's Blushbaby blush and looks great. Go all out for nighttime or special occasions with what I call the radioactive cheek: use a good dose of Moon Beam on cheekbones and the upper cheek to bring out the undertones of sheer or shimmery sheer blushes, and to bring up new highlights in the illuminator. Sometimes I go for Rimmel's old Berry, Apricot or Santa Rose, MAC's Plum Foolery, you name it! It won't certainly look natural but it will make you feel gorgeous!

on 10/11/2011 1:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This was an impulse buy for me when I was in Chicago last year. I'd heard wondrous things about it, and I decided to make it an item to splurge on (since I didn't have a good highlighting product at the time).
One word for Moon Beam is this: UNDERSTATED. It isn't anywhere near over-the-top shimmery like its coveted sister, High Beam. I don't like overly shimmery products either (I only own one MAC MSF; need I say more?). This truly gives that 'glow from within' look when topped with translucent powder. A beautiful golden hue with some pink and peach iridescence (Benefit calls that tone 'apricot'). I've never used it under my foundation, because since it's a bit more of a subtle highlighter, I felt that it would defeat the whole purpose. I would consider my skin neutral toned, so (like one of the reviewers below me) I feel like when I only use a spare amount of it, it doesn't even show up on me, like it would with most people. So I feel like it's necessary to apply it just a bit heavier than I would with any other highlighter. That unfortunately, is what knocks it down to a 4. To be a bit more hygienic, I don't apply it to my face straight out of the bottle. I just swipe some on the back of a clean hand, wait a few seconds for it to get just a bit tacky, and from there use my fingers to apply it to my face: the tops of my cheeks, bridge of my nose, and cupid's bow. I usually have to do that step twice, but hey, since the product's going to last me a long time, I don't mind the extra work, since it does give such beautiful results!

Top Rated BeneFit Cosmetics Products