November 27, 2014 | 1010 users online

Hair - Almond Oil

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2009 3:37:00 PM More reviews by wiseowl

This is great for rosacea-prone people as fall back when skin is acting up. However, I really do get why people would have problem with it as a facial day moisturizer. Especially when you first apply, you notice oil texture--might make it awkward for women on the go applying any makeup. Sweet almond oil does absorb, but it does gradually in stages. So, good option for a night face moisturizer when your skin is super sensitive. But everyone, great for putting a few drops in bath in winter. Also, great for after shaving legs and for massages.
The only reason I'm taking a lippie off is that it's very easy for people to put too much, especially on face. I'm not advocating for oil manufacturers to add one of those small-drop dispensing pumps to almond oil bottles: it will jack up price and part of why we like this product is it's cheap and lasts a long time. Instead, for people having problem putting too much, try putting tiny amount in small cup, bowl, or tiny receptacle and then dabbing finger at edge of oil and see how far just the amount on finger spreads and covers. One flaw w/human nature is the idea if a little is good, a lot may be great. Have noticed so many stories of skin malfunctions w/products can be traced back to putting too much of a product. But w/all that said, sweet almond oil is NOT like olive oil as skin care product, not as heavy, sure isn't as oilly/greasy, and does not have the smell factor like olive oil does. The only people I could foresee having problems w/this are people w/allergies to any type of nut products and people who don't like almond scents. (Though, to tell you the truth, I don't even really notice almond scent w/oil, but recognize there are people w/keener noses than mine.) Update: forgot to mention yet another use for it. If your moisturizer is not moisturizing enough, but you don't want to have spend a pile on a new moisturizer, add a drop of almond oil to your moisturizer.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2009 3:39:00 AM More reviews by isingonrooftops

I find almond oil to be very moisturizing on my body, which is great. It also leaves a nice, sexy sheen during the first couple of hours when you apply it. However, I'm scared to use this on my face, because it might be too greasy. I do put it on the ends of my hair, though, and it makes it all soft. Almond oil (at least the one I have) has no scent, which I don't really really mind, although I tend to like scented products since I'm not allergic to fragrance and they usually smell nice. I would buy it again, although I'm going to try one of Weleda's body oils next, to see if it works any better.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/17/2009 3:25:00 AM More reviews by greenclover

A nice light oil for moisturizing skin and hair. Gentle on face for sensitive skin. Not a miracle oil or anything. Has good vitamin e content. My main reason for low score is I can't stand the smell, but I hate almond scents. The plain, straight oil is strongly scented of almonds. Makes me icky. If you don't mind/ or like an almond scent though this is for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2007 9:05:00 AM More reviews by daZblu

Though I haven't used this for hair treatments, i did use it for my navel piercing following the advice of a lovely little old man at the local health food store after I told him i'd been getting all sorts of nasty redness and infections. Within a week and a half, all drying, redness, and infections had gone away, and my piercing was well on its way to being healed. And this is coming from a girl who probably has the worse history known to mankind when comes to piercings of ANY sort (2 year earlobe infection anyone?), so yeah, this stuff is pretty darn good.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2007 6:31:00 PM More reviews by ascorbic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i like almond oil for moisturizing, since my sensitive rosacea-afflicted skin can't tolerate much without getting irritation or stinging. it has that nice light scent, it's natural, and a bottle lasts forever. i do throw it out when i get black swirlies in the bottom, whatever that means. i guess i keep it too long. anyhow, one thing i don't like about it is how greasy it tends to make my face. i have to dab it well before i put sunscreen and foundation over it. it's also hard to travel with, unless, say, your family has an extra bottle in their fridge. it also doesn't serve as a good primer under makeup, if you need extra smoothing in of rough places. it's very basic but works well for me. may be slightly comedogenic, but i hardly notice since the tradeoff is worth it to have something i can actually use for now.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2003 8:14:00 AM More reviews by skandelouslala

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

i love almond oil for many different purposes and usually purchase mine from soap suppliers on ebay. it can run from dirt cheap to more pricier depending on quanities and individual sellers. like somebody else said you can get it at the healthfood store as well,tho i never have i'm sure its just as good quality.

i've also never found a sweet almond oil that smells like almonds which totally disappoints me, but anyways...there are multiple uses for this product..from moisturizers to scrub. i'm going to have to try this as a hot oil treatment. cool stuff.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2003 4:50:00 PM More reviews by Helen

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Smells divine if you like almond scents and I use this sometimes on the suggestion of another MUA-er to add moiture to my hair as a 30 minute hair treatment. Not sure how sell it works but my hair smells great afterwards.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2002 2:21:00 PM More reviews by mandy_mann

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

If you want a different type of hot oil treatment for your hair, consider using Almond Oil from a health food store.

Place two tablespoons of oil into a shotglass and heat the shotglass in a bowl of boiled water for a minute or two. DO NOT MICROWAVE OR YOU MIGHT BURN YOURSELF. Pour almond oil into a small plastic squeeze bottle and apply to damp hair.

Work and comb the oil through your hair and leave it one for a minute or two. Wash it off with a nickel-sized amount of moisturizing shampoo.

You will love the smell of almond oil and the experience will delight you.

Hint: do not use hot oil conditioner of any type if you have recently coloured your hair or it will lift the colour out.
continued >>