April 21, 2014 | 1030 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Ultra Powder Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2011 11:23:00 AM More reviews by amanda23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used to work at Merle Norman (in Canada) so I'm not a bitchy SA, lol. Anyhow, I haven't worked there in 3 years but I will still call in an order and have this delivered to my house.
I might add that I work at another cosmetic retailer where I get a discount and my pick of countless other cosmetics and I choose this one.
I use a mattifying moisturizer and a primer and apply this with my Sephora mineral powder brush. This stuff makes my face look flawless yet still like real skin. My husband even mentioned how he liked that I was wearing less makeup. I don't feel like I'm wearing such a mask with this on.
You can wear this as a setting powder over top of a liquid foundation but for every day wear, I like to use this alone. I will order this as long as they continue to make it. I'm NW25 and I use Ultra Neutral. Holy Grail for me and I absolutely love the smell.
I should also mention that I don't have a lot of flaws to cover so if you're skin is relatively good and you're looking to even out your skin tone, this is your best friend.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2010 1:34:00 PM More reviews by violetrunner

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really like this foundation! I HATE heavy foundations, and this one seems to be what I think "powder" foundations should be - not a lot of coverage, but does a much better job at evening skin tone and keeping oilies under control than a regular face powder. I haven't had any breakouts or redness from this, but it does make my face feel "tight" if I don't do a good job moisturizing before I apply. I think it also does a fair job at setting liquid foundation, but I think it is a little too heavy for that unless you are into really full coverage. I have used the sponge that came with it to apply (yuck) as well as a fluffy powder brush (what the sales lady recommended), a flat-topped Everyday minerals brush, a flat-topped badger brush from Coastal Scents, and the Philosophy Airbrushed Supernatural brush (my current favorite). I think any good buffing brush would do the trick. I've been using since October and have made a dent, but no where near a significant dent, so I think it will last a good long time. Thumbs up!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2010 10:37:00 PM More reviews by bebemonte

LOVE this product! Yummy, retro goodness!
I am so glad I found out about this brand on MUA.

The only drawback is that I thought this was going to cost me under $25 when I first went to my local Merle Norman salon, but alas it is $34 here in Cali.
The chick there said all the boutiques are independently owned and set their own prices....which sucks because I didn't expect to spend so much especially since I just ordered Prestige powder foundation online as well. BUT all that said, IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY!

I like the smell that everyone is complaining about, it reminds me of bubble gum, and the finish is A M A Z I N G!
I love how matte this keeps my super oily skin and how it erases my large pores!
The compact itself is pretty huge and not the classiest thing I've ever seen. I can't imaging busting it out at a nice restaurant or a club for a touch up without some grandma-makeup references from my friends.

Ultra Neutral is a perfect match to my yellow-toned NC25 skin and there were plenty of yellow warm colors to choose from (I was afraid the choices may be too pink and old-ladyish)

Love it, love it, love it! Now I want to try more M.N. products!
P.S. the sales girl at the Tustin branch was not too pushy or annoying as as I was afraid after reading the reviews on here

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2010 7:19:00 PM More reviews by jennrowe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This foundation is GREAT for oily skin if you are looking for a matte finish. Coverage in natural and buildable, depending on how you apply and what coverage you want. For someone who does not like or has time to use liquid foundations this is it! It works great at concealing and leaving the skin with an overall natural, not too heavy finish.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2010 3:48:00 PM More reviews by gboneske

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

The only reason I wouldn't buy this again is because I have found a loose mineral foundation that I really love. I do carry this in my bag for touchups because of the heat - it gives a nice sheer coverage but isn't really for full coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2010 3:31:00 PM More reviews by queenbeeashlie88

I am so excited that I found this powder foundation. I have very oily skin and within one hour my face is normally very oily with other foundations and powders but not with this one......in fact nothing has ever controlled my oil better!!!! and the coverage is flawless which is so unbelievable because I have very crappy skin, acne scars etc....and I can touch up and it doesnt cake up even on my acne that I am trying to dry up.....I have tried everything lancome, estee lauder, clinique, make up forever and this is by far the best.....I know the packageing is kinda outdated and tacky but the inside product is so worth it and Its only $23.00 dollars which is great when I have shelled out alot more money for other products.....the smell kinda gets on my nerves but I can deal......I know i'm rambling but I cannot say enough about this....If you have oily, acne prone skin please give this a try....I love it!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/23/2010 3:14:00 AM More reviews by shoma2k

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm a makeup artist and have been using tons of makeup products for many years. After going through foundation reviews on this website I bought this powder makeup because of its high ratings. After obtaining this product I wasn't too happy about it. It's probably good as a powder only but doesn't do much for a foundation. It goes on very sheer so no flaws can be expected to cover up at all. Worst part is when one is photographed. Skin looks extremely chalky and dry. And the palette itself starts to clump up if one uses the sponge included to apply makeup to the face. Overall, i'm not satisfied with any aspect of this product at all. Not the packaging and definitely the quality of the product itself.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2010 6:45:00 PM More reviews by Korinda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is very nice and works well with my skin. I have really oily skin on my T-zone and then my chin is a little flaky and dry, because I pack on the blemish medication since I am stressed. A good exfoliating wash and some good hydrating creme fixes any problems that would normally occur with a powder foundation. This is a dream.. my skin has never looked so flawless, and with some concealer on my red spots.. they are gone the moment I put the powder on. Absolutely amazing! My skin also doesn't get super oily after 10 minutes of wearing it. I tried it for consecutive hours the other night and would probably need a little touch up, but that's because I don't like the "dewy" look.

It contains talc which can irritate some people's skin, and may cause blemishes. I have sensitive skin and this hasn't given me a problem yet. It fixes all my problems actually! Love it! Will buy again, and again! The lady at Merle Norman said it lasts up to 5-8 months, which is decent for me and it cost probably around $33.00 canadian. :)

Great product! Merle Norman usually has a 30 day guarantee return if you don't like it, so give it a shot. It's so worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2010 6:34:00 PM More reviews by iluv2dnc210

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

For all skin types.

Dual-function formula performs as a foundation and powder. Oil-absorbing pressed-powder makeup is great for oily skin and ideal for humid climates. Sheer to maximum coverage. Matte finish. Oil-free. I also Recommend using the Foundation Primer underneath to help it last all day!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2010 8:41:00 PM More reviews by dollief

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

EDIT to say... didn't like this at first, but when applied LIGHTLY with a powder brush, this is ideal to set Merle Norman's powder base. I'm very very fair, neutral, and this is a perfect match -- which is very hard to find! Plus, this compact has lasted me a solid YEAR!