Japanese Hair Straightening/ Thermal Reconditoning

4.3

on 7/27/2007 12:50:00 PM

I have been doing this process for several years and my only regret is not doing it sooner.

My hair is naturally curly in the bang area, straight on top, tight ringlets underneath and waves on one side. Majorly frizzy all over. My hair usually ended up in a scrunchy with a bandana over it, unless I was willing to spend an hour straightening it everday.

The first time, I got Liscio done on my just below the shoulder-length hair. I could not believe the difference in my hair texture. It was perfectly straight with mirror shine and felt like silk. I NEVER thought I could have hair like that. I never have to style my hair. No dryers, no irons, not products - nothing. Wash and go. And I get so many compliments on it.

I didn't need a retouch until the following year. I went to another salon and paid a fraction of what I did the first time and it came out incredible once again. I have been keeping it up ever since. I do my whole head annually, and my bang are every 6 months.

My hair is now almost down to my waist and very healthy. It would never have grown like this without the thermal reconditioning.

UPDATE: Almost 16 months since my last touch up and I was due. Problem was, I moved and the salons in my new location
a. don't use Liscio, and
b. said that my hair will not come out straight (uh, ok so what's the point?)
After consulting with a fellow makeup alley user, I felt brave enough to retouch my hair at home. I figure if it will not come out right in the salon anyway, I will save myself a couple hundred dollars. I had about 5 inches of frizzy Jan Brady curls around my hairline that needed to be straightened. I used Thermal Ionic by Jheri Redding, the formular for Bleached/ Tinted Hair (I only have a few highlights in the back, but was not taking any chances). The process took me about 4 hours. The result was silky, shiny hair with no frizz, even in 99% humidity! I cannot believe that my hair came out this great at home. It is not "stick straight" as I am used to, though if I blowdry for just a minute, it will be. But with the total lack of frizz and silky texture, I do not care that it is not "pin-straight". I think next time, I can try the regular strength formula, since it was all virgin hair that I straightened anyway.

I will stick to doing this at home from now on!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

My hair has endured the 6 hour TR process three times and in August I'll be going back for a fourth. I LOVE what this does from my half curly, half wavy hair in the CT humidity. I finally have the pin straight, super shiny hair that I should have been born with. Process here is outrageously expensive ($800+tip) and takes my hair dresser and her assistant 6 hours to do my mid-back length FINE hair. God knows how long it would take if my hair were thicker. But as the treatment can be very damaging if used by the wrong hands, I'll shell out the money to the only other person I let touch my hair.

As a few reviewers have said, you can't wash your hair for at least 48 hours and no tucking or pining hair. This is always a huge issue for me as I wash my hair daily and am a disgusting grease ball during the recovery period. Thankfully those are telecommuting days. LOL

If you've dreamt of shiny, super sleek hair, this is the process to get. So expensive, but so worth it.

on 3/6/2007 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I had this done at a local Asian salon for 250 bucks, since my hair is short. I have virgin, medium-textured hair that frizzes up in humidity. My hair is also a mix of botticelli curls and waves. Not easy to work with, but I managed to get my routine down pat. The process took a long time to do (3 and a half hours), but my hair came out beautifully straight and shiny. It was also soft to the touch. I couldn't wash my hair for three days and couldn't use any pony holders and hair clips so that my hair doesn't get any marks. Something I'm willing to endure if I have to. Its a big change for me, but cuts down styling time in the morning and I don't have to use too many products. I recommend you do some research first and make sure you use moisturizing hair products to ensure your hair remains healthy.

on 12/9/2006 2:32:00 PM

My life has been changed by thermal reconditioning. I balked at the ridiculously expensive prices here in the US ($500?! - even Asian hair salons charge around $200) and got it done on a recent trip to Asia, for about USD $100. The procedure has been around for years there and done in almost every salon, so the only research I did was asking people which salon to go to.
This was one of the best decisions I've made. My hair: Medium-textured Asian hair that has never been straight but is rather wavy (totally curly on a good behavior day, or just has a mind of its own on bad days), poofy, frizzy, kinda dull, dry, and deathly afraid of humidity. For years I've blown dry my hair so that it can be the semblance of straight, and even then you can tell it's not - not to mention the damage I do to my hair with all that blow-drying! After getting thermal reconditioning, I didn't wash my hair for 3 days, no ponytail holders, and had to sleep a certain way too (so that the hair doesn't get bent, as recommended by the stylist). It was flat as could be until I got to shampoo it! But what I ended up with was shiny, sleek, straight hair that looked beautiful, healthy, retained the body/volume my hair always had, and incredibly easy to style. No more blow-drying! I let it air dry, run my fingers through it, and I'm good to go. Much time and frustration saved.
Unfortunately, my hair grows out pretty quickly, so after 3+ months, my curly/wavy roots definitely show, and it's not as straight as it was when I first got it done (but still passable for straight). Sigh. I've gone back to blow-drying just the roots so that they conform. I'm waiting for it to grow out a bit more so I can get it redone. Really don't know how on earth I could've lived without thermal reconditioning for so long! This process is a god-send for girls with kinky hair like mine. continued >>

on 12/9/2006 2:00:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

So I've been a hold-out for years, with my chinese/jewish, ultra-thick and coarse wavy hair (no prior straightening/color/perms). I had my hair down to a science, albeit hi-maintenance hell, but I still had my more tamed waves, and the price of $400+ for straight perm was a bit hefty. But I have always craved straight hassle-free hair. A friend had recently gone to a japanese salon in NYC, loved it, and it was so cheap I couldn't resist ($240 -they use the Liscio system). So I gave in to temptation, and a few weeks later, am still loving the ease. Just wash and go.
The salon we used was Toshi & Hairmates, we both had Seiji (?sp) do our hair- his English is fair enough. (No affiliation to this salon, I live in CA now, but was there visiting friends.) Took about 3 hours, including a protein treatment to start ($20), with an assistant helping Seiji with the blow-drying and flat ironing- definitely cuts down on time.
Post-treatment, no hair washing for 48 hours, and no bending of your hair (ponytails, tucking behind ears) for a week. My hair is now shinier and smoother - i just shampoo and condition. I think if you've had coloring recently it definitely is more damaging, so I would recommend waiting until your natural hair grows in first. I gave away my Biosilk right after, and my Jojoba oil is just sitting in its bottle, contemplating shelflife.
UPDATE: Just got touched up, 9 months later. Had grown out about 5-6 inches, was getting fluffy again and had been blow-drying more often to get the flat effect. Loved it though, had so many compliments and even people who swore they would miss my waves changed their opinions afterwards. Went to a salon in Bay Area, (see Yelp for review "tonie's"), took forever but they were busy with other customers. About 5 hours with a helper. In the can't shampoo/tuck phase.
UPDATE # 2: I'm pretty much addicted. I tried to go without for a few months, "missing" the waves. Wow, so not missing it. I went back to Tonie's in SF (after trying out Hairmates- bad idea, on Geary in SF) after about 9 months growth. The ends were a little fried, so I asked her to avoid those few inches at the end. and I also asked her if she could not leave it in so long, since I just wanted it tamed, not stick straight. Love Tonie. She listened, and my hair is just as I want it. not stick straight, but a more natural, less bulky-jewfro look. It can hold a wave (and a pony-tail bump is evident after a day of being held up), but if I want to wash-n-go I can as well. Had to have some of the fried ends trimmed a few weeks later, but I attribute that to the last straightening where I got a bit singed overall.

on 10/16/2006 10:26:00 AM

I have been having my hair straightened once per year for 5 years now, and I can't imagine my life without it. I have the kind of hair that is soft and wavy, with ends that kick out in all directions, so this process is perfect for me. Because my wave is mostly on the ends of my hair, I can get away with out 9 - 10 months of regrowth, by which time I usually reschedule another app. I keep my hair shoulder length, and my hair grows fairly fast, so the damage is minimal. I have the Yuko system, done in Green Park in London. My hair is very shiny afterwards, and stays that way. I do have split ends, but - remembering back to when I was younger, and only used a hair dryer - I think my hair splits around a certain length anyway. It's not very noticable though, because my hair is so shiny. LOSING HAIR: at first I thought that my hair was falling out, but after 4 years, my hair is the same thickness and I've realised it just simply that, because my hair is so straight and slippery, loose hairs slide out easily, so it can feel like your hair is falling out. I think on normal hair, loose hairs gets stuck within waves and curls, and only come out when you brush. So don't panic if this happens to you.

on 8/18/2006 10:59:00 PM

I have had my hair TR'd with the CHI system twice, a year and a half apart. My hair is naturally very thick, coarse, wavy and color-treated.
It took the stylist 3.5 hours the first time, and 3 hours the 2nd time. Both times I was VERY happy with the results...I did a lot of research on what you are and are not supposed to do afterward before I had it done. I would not say that my hair was pin-straight but straight enough that it cut my styling time from 30 min. down to about 8 min.
The last time I had it done was 8 months ago. The stylist would like me to go back for touch-ups every 6 months, but honestly it's expensive and I am just now seeing the dreaded wave pattern starting to begin in the regrowth. So for now, I just straighten the heck out of it with my CHI iron. I know I will go back and have it done again, it's just a matter of time until I cannot stand that stupid wave pattern any more!
Bottom line, I would DEFINITELY recommend it to anyone who A) has unruly hair and hates it, B) has time to research and find a good and experienced technician and C) has the $$$ to do it because it is NOT cheap!

Greatest thing I ever did to my hair. It looks great in whatever weather its in (iused to be coarse and wavy) and is extremely straight. Tip: go to an asian salon: I have shoulder length hair and only paid $140 (inc tip) for the straightening.

on 3/12/2006 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hah, I was wondering if this was going to be on here. So for the past three years I have been doing the matrix opti smooth.I've been doing the smoothing system (not the thermal straightening). There was no way that I was spending 500(my quote at the salon) for this so I have been doing this at home. I buy the kits off ebay like 40-45.00. It's been great so far, I mean I have tried salon straightening before and this product doesn't damage your hair as much.
My hair is super curly (and super dry)and increadibly thick and long. The smoothing system really helps to straighten the curls on my head area and give a more of a curly wave effect. Normally after the process it takes about a week until I can see how curly it's going to be. Although this line is great as with all chemical straightening it makes my hair super fragel, dry and easily breakable.
I should mention that I do this with my mother who is a retired hairdress but anyone could do this with a friend or two(recommended!). Make sure to get the CD and to watch everything twice before you start. DO NOT go over the recommended time. A year ago we got delayed and I just fried my hair with only an extra five minutes.
Now for the thermal straightening...I do this for my sister alone, who has medium thickness, but much less curly hair than me. It takes like 5 hours to do but it turns out great. I don't recommend thermal straightening on really curly hair because it will never get all that straight, no matter what they promise.
Overall, this has been a life saver, I can wear a pony tail without a frizz mess on my head. Feel free to ask me suggestions...I feel like I've been doing this forever.

on 12/3/2005 4:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Here in Singapore, this process is commonly called Rebonding. It was massively popular when it first appeared about 5 years ago, but it's now getting some backlash from the local beauty magazines because half the women in Singapore ended up with identical hairstyles! For me, this is the best beauty investment I've ever made. I've done this twice a year for 3 years now, just got the latest done yesterday.

Some advice if you plan to do this:

1) Research like crazy. Ask friends who have done it succesfully, and go to the same salon AND stylist. The stylist's skill is important, not just the brand of product they use.

2) If your hair is coloured / highlighted, the process will alter the colour of your hair (most likely, it go a shade lighter). You will also find that colour will not take as well to your hair after the process. Do not bleach hair after the process - it will fry it beyond belief.

3) Not all hair takes well to rebonding. It may not end up as straight as you expect. A good hair stylist will be able to advise you.

4) If your hair is very very curly even at the roots, you may have a problem with regowth. You'll end up at a stage where the regrowth is curly but too short to re-do the process. Ditto for short hair that does not have weight to 'pull down' the the regrowth. You'll end up with bouncy hair at the top of your head.

5) I've tried expensive salon shampoos for this type of processed hair, but they were useless (I would recommend Clairol Herbal Essences Replenishing shampoo & conditioner instead).

I think this is the best beauty invention of the century! All the plus points mentioned by reviewers below apply to me, so I won't repeat. One downside is that after doing this 6-7 times now over 3 years, my hair is much thinner that before. Keep promising that I will stop this madness, but I'm addicted :)

continued >>