July 31, 2014 | 1242 users online

Powder - Shiseido - Pureness Matifying compact

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2008 12:38:00 PM More reviews by silkyskin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hhmmmmm...I like the powder ok, but it has almost NO coverage. Seriously, I have used many, many powder foundations and this has the least amount of coverage ever. It isn't cakey, nor is it too drying, but it really only has the coverage of pressed powder. I'm certainly not going to keep buying it if that's the only result I get. It's too expensive for that.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2008 8:26:00 PM More reviews by Kruemmelchen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

No matter how many compacts I try I always come back to this one. The coverage is beautiful without looking cakey. Doens't make me break out and doesn't dry my skin out either.Very nice product I will probably always come back to this after "straying":-)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2007 11:50:00 PM More reviews by laurenmt

Great coverage, non oily, and looks great on my acne prone skin... love the price and the fact it is refillable!! Also..it matches my skin perfectly with the yellow undertones!***revised***OK AFTER A FEW WEEKS OF THIS POWDER, MY CYSTIC ACNE CAME BACK, PAINFULLY..I WANTED THIS TO WORK SOOO BAD, OH WELL, BACK TO NORDIES TO GET MY CHANEL COMPACT!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2007 8:51:00 AM More reviews by warfreakbaby

i soo sooo love this product!!! i have very oily t-zone and using mac s/f makes me look like a clown! sooo heavy and sticky feeling! with shiseido matifying powder, it gives me flawless finish but it feels like im not wearing foundation/powder at all! i love it when im re-touching my powder, very nice! i only got the compact because the case is the same price as the compact! very expensive! i hope i could get a case when it is on sale! i super love this product. i hope my powder/foundation search is now over...

update: been using this for almost a month now and i can say that i really really love this product. since the day i bought this, my mac s/f is being kept in my cosmetic organizer. if ever i ran out of this, i will purchase again and again and again coz this is the perfect powder/foundation for me.

EDIT: sad to say, i found another powder foundation that is better than this. im now wearing chanel teint controle extreme. the coverage is much better and i think the shade is also much better as this chanel powder is made for asian women like me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2007 12:36:00 PM More reviews by dcorbette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hair: Black
Skin: Oily
Skintone: O80-O100
Eyes: Brown, sometimes hazel

Many of those who have seen previous postings of mine know that I am a Shiseido fanatic. Shiseido is one of those rare brands which does not break me out. However, whenever I go to the cosmetic counter I am often greeted by sales associates who often react by the amount of shine on my face.

I've always avoided powder foundations because they don't "look right" I wanted to see if I could find another foundation in my color (THAT IS MY PET PEEVE WITH SHISEIDO as they are slowly fading out many of the darker colors). The Shiseido lady told me I should try the Pureness matifying compact, oil free. She said her niece uses it and loves it to death. Sometimes you do whatever the sales lady tells you and regret the purchase later.. . So I try this on, it covers my hyperpigmentation spots when dabbed lightly with the sponge. In this formula, I fit into 60 (Natural Bronze).

Pros:
There is a sunscreen of 16spf UVA/UVB (not full spectrum UVA) created by Shiseido's oftenly used ingredient of Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide.

It decently manages the oil with Palo Azul extract. I find the foundation works better than their mattifying lotion or matiifying veil

It gives a great petina to the finish, as I am sure it uses light diffusers to create an illusion of flawless skin. The more oily, the more porcelein your skin looks with this powder foundation. However, with all Shiseido products, it looks ultra natural.

The wear is unbelievable. The makeup sticks to your face almost like a wear resistant formula one is accustomed to in the Estee Lauder line. This is definitely a summertime purchase.

Its Holy cheap for only $18.50 for the refill! Its cheap because it doesn't have all of those extra expensive moisturizing/anti-aging ingredients (this is what the Shiseido lady told me)

Cons:
I wore Shiseido's tinted moisturizer under this, and despite this my face felt really taught and dry, almost like a dry burn, till later on in the day when my oillies overpowered the formula. That was a little uncomfortable

The color selection isn't huge and because of Shiseido's light diffusing properties in their powders, I was able to slip into this shade, however, I think it might be on a slight reddish side for me.

The sales lady showed me the compact case that goes along with this and I said "no way" One reason, I am cheap. Second reason, it looked cheap. I asked to see the compact used for the powder foundation in their regular line (The Makeup) and selected that instead as it looked sturdier and had a sponge receptacle holder included in its design.

I've yet to experiment with this fully with different brushes (wet or dry). So I am egging on rating this product a 4 (because its heps control oillies and its way cheap) till I have a better chance of getting to know this product Then I will do a later update.

+++++
UPDATE1: Because I create much oil, the foundation would turn slightly darker in color on me. I've return to the counter and got Deep Ivory (50) instead. I think I prefer this as a regular powder than foundation as it tends to feel really tight on my face, like cornstarch. So I am combining it with my Hydro Compact foundation. I will give a final update later on.
+++++
UPDATE2: Its been a few weeks since I first purchased this product. The odd, dry burn feeling has gone away (maybe using the moisturizer underneath was the problem). I've worn this compact alone and also with my Shiseido Hydro compact. If you really want full, beautiful, natural coverage combining this with the Shiseido Hydro compact foundation is the way to go. I use it as a powder over the Hydro compact. Alone, you get a wonderful medium-full coverage applying water to the applicator sponge it comes with, and then applying the foundation to the wet sponge. Its so versatile, I didn't think it would be! I've tried this with a blush brush to apply, this also gives a different effect, however I prefer using the wet sponge as it gives a fuller finish and tends to keep the makeup in place on one's face.

I

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2007 3:19:00 PM More reviews by vikauz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have combination skin that get's really oily durring summer. I decided to give this powder a try based on all the positive reviews here. I got it around 2 months ago and already hit the pan. This is the first time I ever hit the pan with powder. I like this powder a lot. It really helps to control oil durring summer, my skin no longer looks oily or shiny by mid day. It also has good coverage. I wear it over tinted moisturizer or sunscreen and it covers pretty much all my minor imperfections. If I have some breakouts, I just use consealer under the powder and my face looks pretty eventoned. The only con is the dismal color selection. But I got the color that matched me, so I will definetly repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2007 3:35:00 AM More reviews by farmermax

I love the way this foundation looks when applied, my face looks matte,my pores dissapear, the colour is spot on and it has never broken me out. Unfortunately it doesn't stay like that for 5 minutes! The oil seeps through and when I am in Asia in high humidity, it's just a waste of time even bothering to put it on. As for the packaging, I have dropped 2 of these and they shatter instantly. Although, I have used this product for a couple of years, I think the time has now come to experiment with some more powders to get something that will control my oil a bit more. I'm thinking of trying Mac Blot Powder...

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2007 10:08:00 PM More reviews by Nolita78

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I first tried on this compact (Natural Ivory 30) as a way to prepare for the upcoming hot and humid summer. Read such good reviews on it, but unfortunately, I have to give a negative review on the compact. My skin is very sensitive, blemish-prone, acne-prone, oily-prone, not to mention my pores that are easily clogged, you name it, I have it. Anyway, the chemicals used for this product are quite strong for my sensitive skin. I tried using the compact for two weeks straight, and I just gave up. My skin became so clogged and blemished, I had to use my extra-strength clay masque twice-a-week to calm down my skin. Boo. I have to say though, during this one really hot and humid day (above 90 F) that I had it on, my face didn't really get oily until about 3-4 hours later. And even then the shine on my face just gave me more of like this glowing look, so that was nice. I'm giving it two lippies for the shine-free factor and the added SPF..

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2007 5:27:00 AM More reviews by makeupthebreakdown

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've finally "hit pan" on a product.. and this was it. I think I've went through two of these already, one was just the regular Shiseido powder though. I'm naturally the palest person I know and only Shiseido makes powder foundations light enough for me. I love this foundation because it controls my T-zone very well and doesn't flake on the dry parts of my skin. My only complaint is that this line doesn't carry my shade, "Very Fair Ivory" like the regular Shiseido line did. Instead it's just about a shade darker with "Light Ivory," but I guess as long as you don't pile it on, you won't see a line for where your makeup ends.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2007 11:39:00 PM More reviews by chocolatto2u

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

it covers AND keeps my skin shine-free for long long time! i should've have used this in the first place... after all the trouble for having a really shiny + oily face...now i really found something that works for me =]!