December 22, 2014 | 1449 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by madeupmary

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Love this foundation. I thought I would like it as I have dry skin and love serums in general and prefer a lighter coverage because I have some freckles that I like to poke through my foundation. I was unsure about buying this as the reviews weren't all positive but I reckon if you have dry skin you will love this. I only need 1, maximum 2 drops to provide enough coverage. You don't need to buy the brush, I use the Real Techniques Buffing Brush and it works perfectly. Unfortunately I am the lightest shade Bare Porcelain which is slightly too dark for me but once blended it looks perfect. Love, love, love!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2014 4:04:00 PM More reviews by anditisliz

Let me start by saying I've been using Bare Minerals powder and mineral veil since I was 16, now that I am 23 and most of the problems of my younger years (mostly acne/puberty) have faded I decided I needed something not only easier to put on but something that looked more natural. I love my BM powder but the powder is sometimes too cakey for my skin and I was looking to either get into a BB cream or a liquid foundation that offered light coverage.

I have pretty good skin for the most part, aside from a few pimples here and there but the only reason I even like to wear any foundation is because for some odd reason my face is always 2 or 3 shades lighter than my body which is really odd because it doesn't matter if it's the middle of summer and I've been out in the sun all month, my face is always lighter. On top of my face not matching my body, the area under my eyes and cheek bones is super light and doesn't match the rest of my face which makes the bags under my eyes stand out even more.
Any ways on my search I've tried quite a few bb creams and liquid foundations from the drug store and high end brands and most either were WAY too thick and offered too much coverage or just didn't look natural.

BM Liquid was the last and final product I tried and I LOVE IT.
I tried a few shades before I found the right one and it's great. I literally need just 2 drops, 3 if I want a little more coverage, and it matches and blends perfectly. I look and feel bare faced but with a nice glow. It's not too dewy and not too matte, it's more of a satin. I have combination skin and this just works for me. I bought the brush because it makes the application soo easy and it's worth the splurge since you only need to really buy it once. The foundation isn't much more $ than the powder though and now I don't have to buy the mineral veil also. I use a little of yellow color correcting cream under my eyes to counteract the purple in my bags and then top that with a dot of Benefit Erase paste and blend it then I apply the BM liquid all over. No primer, I do use a little NYX radiant finishing powder over my t-zone but besides that it's really all I need. It lasts me throughout the whole day without any touche ups and even when I sweat it doesn't look oily (and I sweat a lot, it's really annoying lol). I will continue to use this product and it really makes my skin look amazing and healthly. Can we also just take a moment to appreciate all the crap it doesn't have in it compared to other products?! Less is more and less chemicals is always a plus.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/3/2014 7:51:00 PM More reviews by Bubbles98

This is the oiliest feeling foundation and besides all the ingredients they made this without i got the biggest breakout of life when ive never broken out from a product before, returned it in less that a week

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2014 4:04:00 PM More reviews by Neume

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ahhh, such a love/hate relationship with this foundation.

I'm just going to get this out there - this is for people with already pretty good, normal skin, kind of a "my skin but better" concept. If you're particularly oily, dry, or combo this will either slide off immediately, settle into all of your lines, or just cling to texture. And for those saying "well if you have good skin, why bother wearing foundation??" are forgetting that people with "good" skin still have skin concerns. Mine are namely discoloration from acne scars, too much sun, and the occasional hormonal pimple. I'm not complaining and I am well aware that many have it worse - I'm just telling it how it is.

So this "serum" type foundation works well for everyday. I would put it in the BB/CC cream and tinted moisturizer category - just a foundation for no special reason to give your skin a little more "oomph".

I apply this with a damp beauty blender, anywhere from 2-4 drops. Anything beyond 4 drops cakes like a mofo.

Sadly, this transfers like a b. As in I will touch my face and touch a piece of paper and leave a fingerprint.

Now why would I pay $30 for this? The color match. I have warm/golden undertones and I have yet to find a color match as accurate as this foundation. So this truly looks like bare skin on me, just more even without redness or scarring.

Overall I like this foundation better than most (mostly due to the color match) but I can't say I'm in love with it.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/2/2014 6:53:00 PM More reviews by decophile

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am trying a sample of this product, in "Bare Shell 02."

Pro's: The color is a good match for me.

Con's: The product does not wear well on my t-zone, and it smears easily throughout the day. Maybe I am not putting the right moisturizer or sunscreen or primer on under it, and not setting it right. But my Maybelline creme foundation works perfectly fine with all the other products I use; plus, a creme is easier to apply than a liquid. So how much effort do I really want to put into trying to make this Bare product work?

rated 2 of 5 on 10/2/2014 4:14:00 AM More reviews by Glasnevin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I agree with the reviews about this settling into lines. When I applied it first I thought it was lovely and easy to apply - when I got into work - I got such a shock - seriously I had lines where I didn't know I even had lines - I actually get complimented all the time on my skin. I used the brush recommended for this too and buffed really well. Would not use any more. On the up side - my daughter uses this and it really is gorgeous on her. So for younger skin - yes but for anyone a bit older - on my experience I would say stay away.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2014 12:10:00 AM More reviews by shmilez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! I have pretty good skin to begin with but this makes my skin look airbrushed. I love the buildable coverage. I have very sensitive and dry skin and I am glad to say I haven't had any problems with this at all. I know others with dry skin did not like it but from what a BM associate told me, it's not the same for everyone. It's something you'd have to try for yourself to figure out if you like it. The only problem I have with it is that you have to shake it before you use and a lot of the product ends up in the cap. I feel like a lot of is getting wasted with that. If I'm paying $30 for foundation, I'd like to use every single drop of it.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/27/2014 12:42:00 PM More reviews by lexaaaabaker

I liked this a lot at first. It is vary light with good coverage. This was the first liquid foundation i've used. It made skin look dewy which i liked. But it sinks into the cracks around your nose and looks bad and fades in hours. The more I use it the less I like it. Packages don't usually bother me but this one was bad. I take off the cap and the liquid is all over the top

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2014 12:28:00 AM More reviews by emilymaylily

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After dealing with problem skin for quite a while now (sensitive, prone to redness, oily/combination to also very dry at times - as I just started medication for my acne) I had been on a hunt for a good foundation that will work with my skin at the same time as achieving sufficient coverage. I at first was looking at purchasing Youngblood as my dermatologist recommended them, however their products are VERY pricey and I found this one in the mean time and decided to test it out first. (Turns out it was the first mineral make up of its kind in the US, so can't be too bad).

I've only worn it myself twice (yesterday and today) however so far, apart from a couple of downfalls, I love it!

Pros:
- Provides sufficient coverage for what I need (about 10 average sized pimples usually and an array of acne scars on both cheeks) I use about 3-4 drops for each cheek, but I spose if you wanted more coverage, use more!
- Gives a really nice matte look and doesn't make me look shiny at all (keep in mind, my skin would be normal/dry at the moment so I can't talk for people with oily skin)
- The special brush that comes with it is really great at applying it, and would definitely add a lot to the quality of the end result
- Comes in many shades, and the one that the girl at the make up counter matched me up with is perfect

Cons:
- As it is a make up that lets your skin breath and doesn't feel like you're actually painting your face, it doesn't stay on for as long as other foundations (e.g. Revlon Color Stay - which is what I've used for years). HOWEVER, since it should be benefitting my skin I can let that slide. Just don't wear it out at night where you may plan on needing your face to stay in place till the morning after! More coverage-focused foundations will be your friend there.
- Doesn't set that well on your face, so if you rub your nose or scratch your head you'll probably be left with a scratch mark in the foundation. I might look into buying the Bare skin finishing veil or setting powder or whatever they have like that. At the moment I've just been putting a light cover of Mac Studio Fix set powder on top, or any type of power would do.
- The packaging could be a little nicer, but I'm just being picky with this one. A pro about the packaging is that it is light so good for travelling!

Overall, I like that its good for your skin and I'm going to continue using it :)

rated 2 of 5 on 9/23/2014 9:44:00 AM More reviews by d3pthofdarkn3ss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This foundation is similarly priced to the original BE at $29 (compared to $27 for the powder). It took me 3 tries to find a shade that was not too yellow and I chose the Bare Satin. It was an almost perfect match to my skin tone. The packaging is a bit unwieldy, and hard to squeeze the foundation out of the bottle. It is imperative that you shake this foundation extensively before trying to apply it. I did purchase the brush that BE recommends with this foundation, but I find that it did not give me the finish that I liked the best and it seemed to me that it wasted the foundation. The best finish was achieved with using my fingers to apply and blend this into my skin. I was not fond of the smell (it is a bit chemical smelling) and the texture of the liquid is too watery. This a very sheer, lightweight foundation that would work well if you have clear skin. That being said, it is a PITA to get it blended in and to provide even medium coverage with lots of concealer. I tried layering the foundation with powder, in an attempt to create more coverage, and it became a hot mess. I am not a fan of using copious amounts of concealer, as I believe the foundation should help to cover and conceal. I wore this foundation daily (10+ hours) for a week. I have a slightly oily T-zone and normal skin and even with setting spray and a touch up mid-day, this foundation was quite dewy. By mid-day, this foundation had settled into my pores and fine lines. BE claims that this foundation helps to improve skin, however this foundation caused breakouts on my cheeks and chin. Normally, I might have one or two breakouts, but this foundation and my skin did not get along. The only new thing that I had added to my skin care and makeup routine was this foundation. Overall I would rate this a 2 out of 5. I am not impressed and for the price and the brand, I was expecting to be impressed. I would much rather pay $8 for the L’oreal Luminous Foundation, which wears well and looks great.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No