November 27, 2014 | 1210 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 2 of 5 on 10/2/2014 6:53:00 PM More reviews by decophile

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am trying a sample of this product, in "Bare Shell 02."

Pro's: The color is a good match for me.

Con's: The product does not wear well on my t-zone, and it smears easily throughout the day. Maybe I am not putting the right moisturizer or sunscreen or primer on under it, and not setting it right. But my Maybelline creme foundation works perfectly fine with all the other products I use; plus, a creme is easier to apply than a liquid. So how much effort do I really want to put into trying to make this Bare product work?

rated 2 of 5 on 10/2/2014 4:14:00 AM More reviews by Glasnevin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I agree with the reviews about this settling into lines. When I applied it first I thought it was lovely and easy to apply - when I got into work - I got such a shock - seriously I had lines where I didn't know I even had lines - I actually get complimented all the time on my skin. I used the brush recommended for this too and buffed really well. Would not use any more. On the up side - my daughter uses this and it really is gorgeous on her. So for younger skin - yes but for anyone a bit older - on my experience I would say stay away.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2014 12:10:00 AM More reviews by shmilez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! I have pretty good skin to begin with but this makes my skin look airbrushed. I love the buildable coverage. I have very sensitive and dry skin and I am glad to say I haven't had any problems with this at all. I know others with dry skin did not like it but from what a BM associate told me, it's not the same for everyone. It's something you'd have to try for yourself to figure out if you like it. The only problem I have with it is that you have to shake it before you use and a lot of the product ends up in the cap. I feel like a lot of is getting wasted with that. If I'm paying $30 for foundation, I'd like to use every single drop of it.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/27/2014 12:42:00 PM More reviews by lexaaaabaker

I liked this a lot at first. It is vary light with good coverage. This was the first liquid foundation i've used. It made skin look dewy which i liked. But it sinks into the cracks around your nose and looks bad and fades in hours. The more I use it the less I like it. Packages don't usually bother me but this one was bad. I take off the cap and the liquid is all over the top

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2014 12:28:00 AM More reviews by emilymaylily

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After dealing with problem skin for quite a while now (sensitive, prone to redness, oily/combination to also very dry at times - as I just started medication for my acne) I had been on a hunt for a good foundation that will work with my skin at the same time as achieving sufficient coverage. I at first was looking at purchasing Youngblood as my dermatologist recommended them, however their products are VERY pricey and I found this one in the mean time and decided to test it out first. (Turns out it was the first mineral make up of its kind in the US, so can't be too bad).

I've only worn it myself twice (yesterday and today) however so far, apart from a couple of downfalls, I love it!

Pros:
- Provides sufficient coverage for what I need (about 10 average sized pimples usually and an array of acne scars on both cheeks) I use about 3-4 drops for each cheek, but I spose if you wanted more coverage, use more!
- Gives a really nice matte look and doesn't make me look shiny at all (keep in mind, my skin would be normal/dry at the moment so I can't talk for people with oily skin)
- The special brush that comes with it is really great at applying it, and would definitely add a lot to the quality of the end result
- Comes in many shades, and the one that the girl at the make up counter matched me up with is perfect

Cons:
- As it is a make up that lets your skin breath and doesn't feel like you're actually painting your face, it doesn't stay on for as long as other foundations (e.g. Revlon Color Stay - which is what I've used for years). HOWEVER, since it should be benefitting my skin I can let that slide. Just don't wear it out at night where you may plan on needing your face to stay in place till the morning after! More coverage-focused foundations will be your friend there.
- Doesn't set that well on your face, so if you rub your nose or scratch your head you'll probably be left with a scratch mark in the foundation. I might look into buying the Bare skin finishing veil or setting powder or whatever they have like that. At the moment I've just been putting a light cover of Mac Studio Fix set powder on top, or any type of power would do.
- The packaging could be a little nicer, but I'm just being picky with this one. A pro about the packaging is that it is light so good for travelling!

Overall, I like that its good for your skin and I'm going to continue using it :)

rated 2 of 5 on 9/23/2014 9:44:00 AM More reviews by d3pthofdarkn3ss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This foundation is similarly priced to the original BE at $29 (compared to $27 for the powder). It took me 3 tries to find a shade that was not too yellow and I chose the Bare Satin. It was an almost perfect match to my skin tone. The packaging is a bit unwieldy, and hard to squeeze the foundation out of the bottle. It is imperative that you shake this foundation extensively before trying to apply it. I did purchase the brush that BE recommends with this foundation, but I find that it did not give me the finish that I liked the best and it seemed to me that it wasted the foundation. The best finish was achieved with using my fingers to apply and blend this into my skin. I was not fond of the smell (it is a bit chemical smelling) and the texture of the liquid is too watery. This a very sheer, lightweight foundation that would work well if you have clear skin. That being said, it is a PITA to get it blended in and to provide even medium coverage with lots of concealer. I tried layering the foundation with powder, in an attempt to create more coverage, and it became a hot mess. I am not a fan of using copious amounts of concealer, as I believe the foundation should help to cover and conceal. I wore this foundation daily (10+ hours) for a week. I have a slightly oily T-zone and normal skin and even with setting spray and a touch up mid-day, this foundation was quite dewy. By mid-day, this foundation had settled into my pores and fine lines. BE claims that this foundation helps to improve skin, however this foundation caused breakouts on my cheeks and chin. Normally, I might have one or two breakouts, but this foundation and my skin did not get along. The only new thing that I had added to my skin care and makeup routine was this foundation. Overall I would rate this a 2 out of 5. I am not impressed and for the price and the brand, I was expecting to be impressed. I would much rather pay $8 for the L’oreal Luminous Foundation, which wears well and looks great.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2014 9:08:00 PM More reviews by loulouJ

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Works very well for me, it gives me elf- skin from Lord of the Rings! Have to admitt I've been enjoying the compliments the last few days, haha...

I agree that you have to be carefull what you have on underneath, my Skin Medica moisturizer did not play nicely with it and balled up horribly. Now I am trying a water based Vit C serum and an antioxidant serum that has a bit of silicone in it, and this seems to be a good combo. After the foundation and the rest of my makeup, I am finishing with an SPF 50 powder ( Color Science), to set it and boost the SPF.

I also agree that a brush is essential. I did buy the brush, and I quite like it, but any artifical hair buffing brush would work just as well I'm sure.

I am taking the lid off and putting a clean finger over the tip to shake it. I found quite a bit of product in the cap when I shake with the cap on.

Two or three drops does it for me, I am amazed how little it takes! I drop on the back of my hand and then dot evenly on the area I'm working on, and then buff. It doesn't dry down too quick so I have a bit of time to play. I love the satin finish, not too dewy, dot too matte. It stayed on pretty nicely after a hike in hot sun, only shiny in the T- zone. My face feels very comfortable wearing this too, it feels well hydrated and not irritated. Powder mineral foundations always make me dry and rashly after a day or two, so I am praying I don't react with this one...

Glad that I tried it on in store, because the color I was recommend on line (Bare Shell) was way too pink. I am using Bare Porcelain, which was a surprise, I don't usually need the lightest color in most lines.

This is the best foundation I've tried in years, a real keeper for me. It's a little spendy, but I think the bottle should last a long time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2014 9:11:00 AM More reviews by CorelliaCalling

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I feel like talking about the new bareMinerals/ bareSkin liquid foundation, because it's been quite a polarising product, and some information needs to be recovered in translation. So here goes--:deep breath:--this stuff is a bit of a diva.

It's like the Christian Bale of foundations, in that it's absolutely beautiful and you can get a stellar performance from it, but if the circumstances aren't just so, it's going to be a right bastard to work with and even go off on you. Therefore, if you're looking to avoid an on-set outburst of invective, you're going to need two things: a flat-topped synthetic brush, and a light hand. Trust me, I'm always an advocate of "less is more" where foundation is concerned, but in this case, I'm standing by this conviction even harder than usual. Why? Because the formulation of this product is weirdly specific (waterless, or at least without water in its pure form, because any plant-derived liquid is going to have some water molecules in its composition), and the pigmentation means business. You don't necessarily have to shell out for the Perfecting Face Brush representing the sidekick in this hero product's marketing campaign, but you do need to apply it WITH A BRUSH, and with a brush of a certain make and model. (I use a Real Techniques Expert Face or Buffing brush, just to give you some idea.)

Also, I wouldn't layer a huge amount of product--moisturisers, primers, and Wedge knows what else--under the makeup. At most, start with a lightweight, oil-free SPF day lotion. This is a foundation/ serum hybrid, which means it has ostensibly beneficial ingredients that are supposed to bind with your skin on a cellular level and nourish it while looking as imperceptible as possible. Or some such rap. I will say that when I used a primer underneath, what's alleged to provide a satin-soft finish looked weird and filmy and artificial. If you have an oil slick for a t-zone, as I do, setting powders and sprays: learn, live, love. Then, to apply and blend--pay attention, now, because here's where most of us have been screwing the pooch--shake the bottle like a Polaroid picture for at least five seconds, remove the top, and decant ONE DROP onto the centre of your brush. Yes, just one. I won't call the Makeup Cops if you want to try for two, but, hand to the cosmos, if you start with any more than that, you are asking for a ballache.

Once your one (or two) drops are ready for action, pat the surface of the brush on each cheek, your nose, your forehead and your chin to distribute the product as evenly as you can, then go to town buffing, starting wherever you need the most coverage. After the brush has made contact with your whole face, LET IT BE; give it about a minute or so to make friends with your skin. If you decide another layer is in order once it sets, Roguespeed, but a better idea might be to go straight in with a full coverage concealer, patting it over any questionable areas. And if you're somebody who just can't bear not representing Team Beauty Blender/ Miracle Complexion Sponge (believe me, I understand), you can get it off the bench by using it after the fact. Soak it until engorged, wring it until it falls somewhere between damp and dewy, and pat it over your face, merging skin, foundation, and concealer. And boom goes the dynamite.

Just remember that foundation is the makeup item most dependent on individual tastes and chemistry, so there's no such thing as universal suitability in its realm. Sometimes you have no choice but to hit it and quit it--just make sure the store you buy it from has a fair return policy.

34 out of 36 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2014 11:11:00 AM More reviews by CosmeticDesires

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Not recommended for oily skin. I do like how it gives you a glowing effect. For me it works. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2014 9:06:00 AM More reviews by Nesoi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I was previously using the BM Matte foundation before trying this. I am in between an NC20 and NC25 with yellow tones, use the shade 'Golden Fair' in the Matte version and use Bare Ivory in this Serum foundation. Colour match is great, probably the best I have ever had in a foundation.

Packaging is good - I like the plastic bottle and slim dropper. I do not use the foundation brush that comes with this, I prefer to use my fingers. The lady in the store first tried this foundation on me with the brush but I didn't like it as it didn't blend the foundation in to my skin well enough.

My skin is normal-dry and this foundation wears pretty well on me. It can get a bit shiny but it does last on my skin all day. I have worn up to 9 hours and it didn't rub off. I don't think this would be a good foundation for oily skin. It can cling to dry patches so make sure you moisturize or exfoliate well beforehand.

Coverage is light to medium. Depending on how much I apply it can look really natural (1-3 drops) or it can look like I am obviously wearing foundation (5+ drops).Evens out skin well and covers redness but not that good at covering small blemishes. It feels comfortable on my skin and doesn't break me out.

Overall I really like this and would repurchase. This definately isn't a foundation I would think most people would love but it works well for me.