October 30, 2014 | 1755 users online

Eye Primer - Milani - Eye Primer

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2013 12:04:00 AM More reviews by April316

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am so happy that I picked up with product. The Urban Decay primer potion costs $20.00, whereas the Milani Primer costs $5.99 at Walmart. The Milani primer works just as good as the Urban Decay primer, but at a fraction of the cost. My eyelids are fairly oily, so I was happy to see that this drugstore product was able to stand up to my oily lids.
It is a little bit drier than the Urban Decay primer, but it's nothing unbearable - by the end of the day, I can't tell the difference between the two primers. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, I would definitely give this product a try. Rather than repurchase the Urban Decay Primer, I will just stick with this. You definitely can't beat the price, and the best part is that you are not sacrificing the quality of the product.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2013 8:44:00 PM More reviews by wixter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This primer works just as well as my oh-so-loved Urban Decay Primer Potion. It's half the price and more easily available. It has a thicker formula, but it spreads just as easily as UDPP. Eyeshadow primer is a must have for me, and this one definitely has taken over UDPP in my makeup stash!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2013 5:55:00 PM More reviews by DeniseR

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I was very surprised at how good this worked! I had Urban Decay and didn't care for the particular one I bought. I decided to try Milani and loved it!!! Works good!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2013 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Embeth3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

BEST EYESHADOW PRIMER I HAVE EVER USED.
Granted, I haven't tried TFSI or UDPP becuase they are impossible to get in New Zealand (and would probably cost a million billion dollars even if they were) but I have tried a range from NYX (the pot and the HD wand) and Jordana to MAC paint pots and Benefit Creaseless Creams and this is better than all of them.
I am in love.
Comes in a nifty wee tube, small enough to tuck away anywhere you need to stash it and even though I have only been using this for two weeks, I have barely made a dent in it, there's about 9g there, which is very generous for the measly price. Won't dry out and it should be easy enough to get every little last bit out of the squeeze tube. The packaging itself is simple and classy looking, nothing extravagant or fancy but solid and reliable, which I always appreciate.
The primer is a slightly thick, nude coloured cream that applies very smoothly and is easy to spread - it blends out pretty much clear and dries within 30 seconds. You don't need too much, about half the size of a rice grain for each eye is plenty but it really depends on how big your eye area is (mine is huge) and how much space you have to cover, most people would probably only need a tiny amount.
I find all my shadows, even some of the marginally pigmented and powdery ones really look more intense and blend better when applied over this primer. Lasting power is great, it keeps shadows looking impeccable for hours - I get through an entire workday (and then some) without fading, muddiness or creasing, which is completely fabulous.
I don't have oily lids but they aren't dry either so your mileage may vary and as I've mentioned, I have not tried any of the "gold standard" eye primers already available but if you're looking for an affordable and effective option, I really recommend checking this out.
I love it, it is definitely HG for me!
EDIT: Just coming to the last of my first tube (yes, I have backups already!) end of December 2013, it'll probably last another couple of weeks. For use pretty much non stop, 5-6 days a week, this lasting 6 months is fantastic.
Love this stuff!

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2013 3:42:00 PM More reviews by palakshah609

This eyeshadow primer is awesome! I don't always wear eyeshadow, but I wear this primer even by itself. I suffer from oily eyelids, and this solved all my problems. It's amazing, it keeps shadows lasting all day. I definitely recommend this primer :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 12:28:00 AM More reviews by horserider11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

excellent stuff! went to a friends wedding/ reception and we spent the whole day either outside in the blazing sun. never had time for a touchup and at the end of the day after about 16 hours my lids still looked the same as when i left. this stuff is AMAZING! ive used it quite a few times over the last month and it hasnt let me down yet :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2013 12:14:00 AM More reviews by IrynaHarpy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I'd read so many good reviews about this (including comparisons to the old Urban Decay PP) that I had to pop it into my last Cherry Culture haul.

Overlooking the fact that it's a toxic cocktail that, if I were sane when it comes to cosmetics, I wouldn't put on anywhere near my eyes, it really isn't one for older skin. I suppose that young eyes without any issues like crepey skin might be fine with it. Anyone who is even slightly predisposed to allergic reactions should also think twice before trying it as it's full of chemicals known to cause allergic reactions, including those that build up in your system. Feel free to check the ingredients list I've just added above & google the ingredients. Your eyeballs will probably explode just reading about them.

On the first use, I was shocked to catch a glimpse of myself before lunchtime. I'd aged 10 years overnight! Quite literally, it looked as if I'd had a prosthetic theatrical eye makeover to age me: double eyelids that drooped over my eyeliner and my reliable quick mix of matte/sheer MAC and FACE atelier eyeshadows looked chalky and badly applied. At 54, in general my eyelids are in better condition than that of colleagues 10 to 15 years younger and I'm constantly being asked for tips on how I keep my skin looking youthful (no, I don't have any - it's purely a genetic accident). I still only have the one crease line and there's only a tiny amount of crepey tissue beginning to droop above it. With a couple of quick makeup tricks this is barely noticeable unless you scrutinise my skin as obsessively as I do myself.

I tried the Milani primer a second time, this time trying to spread it on as thinly as possible, although I don't like stretching the skin on my eyes as much as this product requires (the texture is strange and can't really be dabbed on and distributed in the way that, for example, Urban Decay can, even though it feels as if it can). It wasn't quite as awful as an instant old lady maker, but simply didn't cut it as a primer that could hold eyeshadow in place.

Finally, last Sunday, I experimented with using this from lashline to brow (basically, the way I always apply a primer) on one eye and using Too Faced Shadow Insurance on the other. I used only eyeliner and mascara. Within a couple of hours, aside from the heavy sensation on the lid with the Milani on it, I felt that it was a little uncomfortable on the point of becoming itchy and irritated. When I ran my finger over the lid, I realised that it felt as though there was a layer of plastic on my eyelid. I was as if the area had cling-wrap pulled over it. The lid with Too Faced on it felt normal, but drier & silkier than my oily eyelids usually do.

I always have at least two or three primers on the go at any given time, each according to the task I use them for (heavy duty no budge to lightweight for under an eyeshadow base), but I've never encountered anything that feels like plastic (to the point of feeling squeaky under my finger!).

CONCLUSION: I don't like this stuff one little bit. It's made of a lengthy list of cheap and very, very nasty ingredients and really appears to work by holding shadows & liners in place by setting them into a plastic-like substance. I've had to give it a lippie to review it and it seems to please a lot of people, although I'm anticipating some edits in the future as some of these will undoubtedly develop a nasty reaction to it after the allergens build up. Personally, even if I were younger and this didn't work like prosthetic ageing solution on me, I wouldn't be able to tolerate the feel of it suffocating my skin. All of our standard eye makeup from shadows to liners to mascara have nasties in them. Starting off with a good layer of plastic to make sure they set in place and ensure we don't miss out on any addition toxic goo that may not have been fully covered by the rest of my eye makeup is not my idea of a good primer. Needless to say, the remaining primer was squeezed into the rubbish and the plastic tube tossed into the recycling on Sunday night.

This primer is pure evil!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2013 10:48:00 PM More reviews by ProductJunkey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a great little gem! I have tried Urban Decay, Laura Mercier, NYX, MAC Painterly, and also MAC Paint In Bare Canvas. This is a great dupe for MAC's Bare Canvas. I prefer this to all of the others I've tried. I like it to have a bit of a color to cover and even out the eyelid. This is also a bit of a powdery finish when it sets, which I prefer. I also love the squeeze tube. So much easier to use and no waste.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2013 9:18:00 AM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have insufferably oily lids. Even worse now that I'm off HBC and only now getting a handle on my oily skin. I prep them after washing my face by sweeping a cotton pad that's been slightly moistened with witch hazel and tea tree oil across them and letting it dry down before applying my makeup, and while it helps, it doesn't keep the oil at bay forever.
I had been using ELF eyelid primer for years, loving it to death, but as skin can sort of develop an "immunity" to products over time, I found that it stopped working for me. So I went on the hunt for something new.
Enter Milani's eyeshadow primer.
This little tube of wonder came storming into my life the other day while I was (unsuccessfully) searching for their new range of Shadow Eyez pencils. I spotted it, remembered that my eyelids were resembling the Exxon Valdez, and hastily snatched it off the peg from which it hung and brought it to the counter.
Having had amazing experience with Milani's wonderful range in the past, I was excited to bring this baby home. I immediately swatched it on my my hand, noticing that the thicker texture and slightly dryer consistency left a smooth, almost powder-like finish behind.
I gave it a go the next morning, and even though by 10pm it had creased a little bit, the makeup was still for the most part intact. My eyeliner hadn't migrated up to my crease, the liner on my bottom lid hadn't settled into any fine lines, and there wasn't any noticeable sheen to my lids.
I used it again today on a heavier look. I'm hoping it stands up to the warm day we're about to have. I suppose we'll see.
Also, I've heard that this is likened to Too Face's Shadow Insurance. I've never used that product, but I'm hoping that the effectiveness of this primer will prevent me from ever having to, as the only large-dollar purchases I can ever justify making in my silly brain are obnoxiously expensive lipsticks. But I digress.
I will make an edit to this review once I've given this stuff a week to tell all, but for now, it's a win. Bravo, Milani!

EDIT: It's been about a week. This primer is amazing. Totally amazing. As I mentioned before, after 15 hours of wear, there is a slight bit of creasing, but nothing near as bad as what I was dealing with before. With this primer, my eye makeup doesn't look like a greasy mess by hour 5 like it did before. I get about ten hours of solid wear before any creasing occurs at all, and even then, it's minimal. Love this stuff. Love it love it love it. I hope my eyelids don't change their mind like they did with the ELF primer!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2013 12:20:00 AM More reviews by violetnights

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite primer. I like it so much better than UDPP, which makes my eye shadow patchy and look less pigmented. Milani's primer exceeded my expectations. It is easy to apply, has a cream color that blends easily, it dries quickly, and keeps my eye makeup looking flawless. I can use cheap WnW eye shadow, go dancing, and when I come home hours of rowdy partying later my eyes look as flawless as they did when I left the house. Without the primer, the same cheap eye shadow fades, I know from experience. I am happy that a DS product is my HG, doesn't happen very often. Highly recommended, I will repurchase.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No