December 22, 2014 | 1126 users online

Shampoo - Nizoral AD Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2011 8:15:00 PM More reviews by juliallen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've had problems with dandruff for many years and have tried every kind of dandruff shampoo available. I'd avoided Nizoral because of the price but finally I just broke down and bought some and I'm so glad I did. I used the product like it said too, washing my hair twice a week for 8 weeks with it and then once a week after that. My dandruff disappeared. I actually stopped using it completely for almost three months before my dandruff came back. The anti fungal in the shampoo stays in your hair for days after you use it, this is why you don't want to over do it. I did have problems with my hair drying out so what I started to do is 1st wash my hair with a moisturizing shampoo and then use the Nizoral just on my scalp. That seemed to help a lot.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2011 10:57:00 PM More reviews by gwilly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I don't know what was going on with my scalp but out of no where it started to flake, peel, itch and my scalp was so sore I didn't even want to comb my hair. This went on for weeks. Finally, out of desperation I started searching online for a cure and of course I consulted my trusty MakeupAlley and came across Nizoral. No word of a lie, I've used it 2x now and my scalp is healed. Absolutely no flakes, no itching and I can comb my hair again without fear. I Absolutely would buy this again without hesitation!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2011 6:24:00 PM More reviews by desertdwellr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is about the shampoo, and the cream. I hate this stuff! It doesn't work for me, and actually makes my SD worse. I've read that people wash their face with this, and all I can say is OUCH! If you have sensitive skin, this could make your SD (or skin issue worse) worse, because of the sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), so proceed with caution. I have this in the 2% cream, and it still burns my skin, and has no real benefit, for me. Allergy maybe? Quite possibly, but my SD was very bad, and continued to get worse, so much so that the dr. thought it was acne rosacea, as rosacea often mimics SD, and eczema. The treatments seem to be pretty much the same, so does it really matter what it really is? It's amazing how we can send a man (and women) into space, but drs. are baffled by almost every single skin ailment out there! I sense wasted tax dollars, but that's another debate. I did try the ketoconazole cream on and off for a week. I know that sounds like I didn't give it a chance, but this isn't something that takes time to work. This is an instant gratification product. Results are pretty much immediate, with improvement from every use. My dr. said that most of the itchies should go away within an hour, and that I should see a vast improvemnt in your skin within 24 hrs. It didn't happen. What I did get from the shampoo was raw red skin that eventually peeled off. If you never do patch tests with products, then this is the one that you will want to do one with. As for the cream, it didn't help my skin, and it was raw, but it was raw before I tried it. I did try the 2% cream on my feet, and the results were amazing. That is why I doubt I'm allergic to it. I have my doubts that SD is caused by a fungus/yeast issue, as people with a high pityrosporum ovale count don't always have SD, and vice versa. This yeast lives on everyone's skin, and there are some ethnic populations that just do not get SD. Diet? Environmental? Stress? I can tell you that SD stresses me out. It's difficult to be happy when your skin has declared war on you, and being miserable is stressful. SD is stressful. The bottom line with Nizarol shampoo is it's better left for the scalp, and the cream is better left for the face, and other areas of the body. SD tends to be gradual, and before you know it, it's a full blown flare up, so when you see 'facial dandruff', it's time to take action, especially when you have oily skin. I have found that at this time, I get the most relief from epsom salt, and I'm almost spot free. I will update on my SD products, as time goes on, but the reality of my SD is that it is probably run it's course, as I am 7-8 months in.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2011 5:25:00 PM More reviews by atlas84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I was "officially" diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis in March 2010 and the dermatologist I saw at that time recommended I try Nizoral to combat the symptoms. My SD manifests itself by causing breakouts on the back of my head and neck, and flaky red patches along my brow. He told me to wash my hair and face with this about three times a week for a few months and that should clear up the symptoms. Well, it did work but seemed a bit too drying for me. The active ingredient in this product is ketoconazole, which is a very powerful antifungal. I no longer use Nizoral for SD (a 3% BHA shampoo seems to keep my scalp in check and SD is not currently present on my face) but would buy again if I need to. I do recommend this highly if you or a friend/family member has a persistent or severe case of dandruff or SD and the normal stuff (Head and Shoulders, T-Gel, etc.) had no effect. Since it's antifungal as well, this may work well for something like athlete's foot (though I've never tried that myself). Please note: Nizoral is not an everyday shampoo, it is a treatment shampoo so you only need to use it once every few days.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2011 10:02:00 PM More reviews by pawnshop_rose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This shampoo does wonders for my scalp. I have a dry, itchy, flaky scalp and this helps to keep it under control. I used it about every 3-4 days for the first 6 weeks, then when I felt my scalp was better I use it only 1-2 times a week. A little goes a long way and the shampoo smell clean and fresh. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is that it's VERY drying. I need to use a heavier conditioner on the days I use this shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2011 8:06:00 PM More reviews by MomColors

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have suffered with very severe scalp psoraisis for 30 years.
I tried Nizoral about 12 years ago and like everything else it didn't work for me.
Fast forward to now. My little guy Is showing the same signs so I decided to give this another try.
Son far so good.
I am so relieved. I didn't want my son to have the same enbarassing flaking I have.
He is almost free of flaking and mine is greatly reduced.
We use it about 3x times in a row and take 2x off.
Fingers crossed I have cure.
I will update if it Stops working.
It has a strong stinky smell. I like this because it reminds me not to use too much which is important since it is a medicine.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2011 10:45:00 PM More reviews by Speliix

I came across nizoral by accident when I freaked out thinking that my cat had ringworm ( she didn't thank god! ) and was afraid that it would spread to me and make me loose my hair, well.. if you had hair as long as I did, you would freak out too!

the pharmacist recommended that if i wanted to be doubly sure, to use nizoral till my cat gets her trip to the vet. after everything got sorted out, i had about 4/5 of the bottle left and it would have been a waste. seeing that nizoral was also an AD shampoo, i was like what the heck! let's try it out.

I've been battling dandruff for SO LONG! and I hated using head and shoulders cause it's incredibly damaging to my hair and I was trying to use organic shampoos to give my hair a break. so I started out with nizoral for 2 weeks, then once a week nizoral ( the rest avalon organics tea tree shampoo ) and then an extra virgin olive oil mask before every wash. my hair has never looked shinier or better and I've been receiving compliments left and right.

honestly, even though it's expensive, having to only use it once a week and seeing my head clear off dandruff, it's totally worth the price! It's shown me results in a month.. compared to YEARS of using Head and shoulders and verging between mild dandruff.

if you want to relive itchiness and keep away the dandruff, you HAVE to try this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2011 5:19:00 PM More reviews by lisa7788

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This review is for Nixoral shampoo in general. I've always used a Zinc pyrithione dandruff shampoo. It controlled dandruff but my scalp itched; often. I even tried the "dry scalp" formula hoping that would help. It didn't. I started to wonder/worry it might be something else (eeew! lice????) Anyway, I had purchased Nizoral shampoo to treat folliculitis and decided to actually use it on my hair. Go figure! :-) It worked great. I use it a few times a week alternating w/ my Sebastian Drench shampoo and the itchies are completely gone! I highly recommend you give it a try. I have color treated/highlighted hair and it doesn't seem to dry it out or do any harm to the color or condition.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 3:32:00 PM More reviews by June187

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am reviewing the OTC 1% Ketoconazole. Let me first start off by saying that I do not use this for dandruff. I have a scalp condition where I tend to get clogged follicles which can sometimes turn into small cysts or big pimple like things.(I know it's totally gross) I also have some itching present on the back of my scalp. This shampoo really does the trick for me. It helps a great deal with the itching and all the rest. I alternate this with a salicylic shampoo I get from my salon so it won't lose it's efficacy. The one thing I absolutely LOVE about the shampoo is that it really truly honestly is color safe. I know this because I have a red demi permanent color in my hair. Red is the most likely to fade from washing and this doesn't do a thing to it! (yay) One other thing this shampoo is good for is as a face wash if you suffer from seborrheic dermatitis. I used this myself on my sensitive skin to get those symptoms under control before being scrip a ketoconazole cream instead which works much much much better. But in a pinch it really does help with the itching and peeling if used twice a day or so. but do expect a bit of burning sensation and a little redness when you first use this on the face. One key thing to mention: in order for this to work you MUST let it sit on your skin/scalp for 10 min or so before rinsing. I think it is nice to have a product like this on the market that actually works :) I would recommend this to anyone who struggles with dandruff or my above mentioned condition.. even if you think you have tried everything. It is definitely worth a shot.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2011 1:57:00 PM More reviews by Beaumonde

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My scalp's not particularly dandruffy, but let's face it - we all get the occasional itchiness occasionally. Even the closest group of friends are reluctant to discuss dandruff or god forbid, admit to it!

My dryness acts up in the really cold months and that's when it's time to bring out the Nizoral. I've tried them all from Zinc Pyrethione in varying strengths to Selenium Sulfide but none have worked so well as Nizoral, which has the added bonus of NOT leaving my hair looking and feeling like dried coconut husks. It's costly at about $15.00 for the larger bottle but worth every penny.
(Some swear by all the hair gods it makes the hair look thicker but if so, I've not seen it. Guess it's one of those Urban Beauty Myths.)

** Follow the instructions precisely and keep it out of your eyes or they will feel dry and sting a bit. Once the flakes have gone, use it once or twice weekly to keep it that way. Curiously, Nizoral's made in Italy and quite frankly, I'd track it down were it made in Outer Mongolia - it works so well.

Don't fotz around with the cheaper options for this irritating little problem - they don't work nearly as well or as quickly as Nizoral.
Trust me and invest the little extra cash. Your scalp and hair WILL thank you...