April 19, 2014 | 1118 users online

Treatments - Paula's Choice - RESIST BHA 9

rated 1 of 5 on 5/3/2013 12:39:00 AM More reviews by lexabee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I believe the texture of this product is what caused me to breakout, if that makes ANY sense; because none of the ingredients listed should have caused any problems. It is a hit or miss, I wanted to try it after a beauty guru on youtube was raving about how it cleared up his bumps literally overnight. For me it was a miss and yes it does feel like you are putting oil or hair serum on your face.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/28/2013 8:52:00 PM More reviews by Happythenjaded

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I did initially like this until I tried the PC 2% and 5% AHA and BHA's. This one seems like it worked less than the other 2 and its double the price for more than half of the product.... it did help but not as much as the others.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2013 4:34:00 PM More reviews by Amanda881

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I use it as a spot treatment primarily on my nose and dotted onto individual blemishes, so the price is quite reasonable. Before purchasing the full-size tube I tried the sample size from PC and that lasted me a couple of months. Based on that, I anticipate the full size tube with probably last me 6-8 months. The product has a nice slip. A dot barely bigger than the size of a pinhead is enough to cover my nose. It absorbs completely in a few minutes, but does have a slightly tacky finish so I would wear it at night as a treatment rather than under makeup. I apply it after my cleanser, toner, exfoliant, and retinoid. I haven't had any irritation or redness even though my skin is on the sensitive side and reacts to overly harsh products. My nose used to break out in inflamed pimples, plugged pores and overall seemed very rough. This product smooths the skin, fades redness and keeps my hormonal breakouts under control. I recommend giving it a try in the sample size if you have adult acne and need something not quite as harsh as BP!

Update: I still think this stuff is great as a spot treatment, however, I found out the rough red bumpy stuff I was getting on my nose was actually mild rosacea! I stopped using this and switched to Finacea on my nose. I use this to spot treat any hormonal pimples I get around my time of the month and it works well.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2013 9:15:00 AM More reviews by emily0212

So I went on a Paula's Choice sample buying spree and I'm slowly making my way through the haul. These are just first impressions, will update my reviews (and my lippies) as time goes on.

Good lord, this stuff is expensive. I've used it for three nights now, I don't see much of a difference. I've been putting it on my rosacea pastules and papules to try to get rid of them. Will keep using up the tiny sample and then update my review.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2013 6:34:00 AM More reviews by ClaireF24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a highly unique product, but it takes time to work, so don't expect results overnight. I had to use it three to four nights a week for a month to see the results I was looking for.

I use one pump all over mixed with my regular exfoliant three or four nights per week. In the morning I cleanse, tone, and exfoliate with my regular exfoliant. I think the key is being consistent with this product.

Use up rate for me was about 6 weeks. I repurchased because I think it is a great add-on treatment especially if you have stubborn blackheads or whiteheads.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by Cat1104

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

5/1/13 UPDATE: Downgrading this to 1. It seemed to work well for me the first couple months (used sparingly), but I've had more pimples pop up lately in areas where I've used BHA 9, so I think it's the culprit. It didn't seem to be doing anything, so I used it several nights in a row and it really dried out my skin and caused more breakouts. I think the SA becomes ineffective after repeated exposure to air, so this might be better in the full-sized container afterall (if it's airtight), but I'm definitely not spending the money on it. ORIGINAL review: I tried PC's 2% BHA liquid a few times in the past with a negative reaction each time, so I'm not sure why I decided to give this one a try. I bought it with spot-treating in mind, and I'm actually quite surprised by the results. My skin is sensitive, oily/dehydrated, prone to clogged pores and occasional inflamed pimples that are sometimes cystic (hormonal as they usually happen around my period). After reading through the reviews, I think samples are the way to go. I bought 3 of them for under $13 shipped while there was a % off. A deluxe sample comes in a small .03 ounce vile, like a typical perfume sample. I put a clean fingertip over the vile opening and turn upside down to get some product on my finger, then I dip a clean eyeliner brush into what's on my fingertip and dab it onto any spots on my face. A little goes a long way; I've been using the same vile for almost 2 months with a bit left. I tend to use only as needed, and I've found it really does take down the swelling and sometimes the pimple is almost gone by morning. Of course, some pimples are worse than others and require more than one treatment, but overall this works well for me. I'm pleasantly surprised.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2013 12:52:00 PM More reviews by Deandra

I have been using Paula's BHA products for several years. She offers several that are all good and reasonably priced. BHA 9 is a new addition to her BHA options - other formulations include a gel for oily skin and lotions for dry skin. If this potent serum doesn't suit you, I'd encourage you to check out the other BHA products which are available in sealed foil sample sizes if you're reluctant to commit to a whole bottle without trying first. In general, I like BHA products for their ability to exfoliate skin gently and encourage cellular turnover. I tend to apply my skin treatment products at night. When I use BHA 9 at night, I wake up with a smoother, more even skin tone with no irritation and a nice glow. Naturally, I am also eating healthy, which helps. I am also alternating my use of this product with Paula's Choice Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant in the blue tube. I feel the BHA 9 is a more amped-up potion - I see results faster than with similar products. However, it does have a glossy "serum" texture, and if you don't like that I'd urge you to try the BHA gel. Those with inflammatory skin conditions often find that they tolerate BHA products well because they contain salycylic acid, the same ingredient in aspirin, which is soothing when applied topically to the skin.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2013 5:39:00 PM More reviews by inmyopinion

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Fantastic for sebaceous hyperplasia, those pesky age- and sun-related exuberant, well " warty" skin-colored outgrowths that seem to crop out overnight. I would give it a 6/5 for that- apply the BHA9 over just the hyperplasia with a lip brush, and it disappears in 2-3 days. If I skip a day or two, it comes right back. So far, so good, but......The container dispenses unpredictable amounts, sometimes too little, sometimes WAAAYYY to much, squirts all over the place, so I give the packaging a 2. In terms of black heads, it's pretty decent, especially if you use a lip brush just to dot in on top of the blackhead, otherwise you may find it too drying for the rest of the skin. PS I use a retractable lip brush just for ease of application..

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2013 6:05:00 AM More reviews by liseyloo

Heartbroken! I'm usually a huge PC fan, but this stuff is rubbish! First of all, the texture is a light oil, which is just.. odd. Secondly, the (tiny) vial leaks, so be very careful and always store it upright. Thirdly, I saw no results whatsoever! None! I smeared this greasy stuff on every night for a week and NOTHING. For fast-acting zit-zapping, I'll stick to my beloved Acne.org 10% AHA lotion. Very disappointed in this "miracle" product.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2013 12:54:00 AM More reviews by KaisiK

This product is AMAZING! Just love it! I had lot of small pimples and pums and stuff around my shin area and they are almost gone! I just ordered a sample size of it and I have used it for a week now and I still have half of it left because you don't need lot of it, just a pea size. Just ordered a full size, just in case I finish the sample and need emergency treatment in future :)
A bit expensive for such a small size but I am more than happy to pay that money to get rid of these pimples.