Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector for Face SPF 42 PA+++

3.9

OCTINOXATE 7.4% Sunscreen OCTOCRYLENE 3.0% Sunscreen ZINC OXIDE 8.6% Sunscreen WATER • DIMETHICONE • ISODODECANE • SD ALpCOHOL 40-B • DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL • ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE • GLYCERIN • POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE • VINYL DIMETHICONE/METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER • POLYBUTYLENE GLYCOL/PPG-9/1 COPOLYMER • DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER • XYLITOL • METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER • THIOTAURINE • SCUTELLARIA BAICALENSIS ROOT EXTRACT • PAEONIA ALBIFLORA ROOT EXTRACT • ONONIS SPINOSA ROOT EXTRACT • ECTOIN • LAURYL PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE • TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE • BUTYLENE GLYCOL • DISODIUM EDTA • DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE • BHT • SYZYGIUM JAMBOS LEAF EXTRACT • TOCOPHEROL • PHENOXYETHANOL • BENZOIC ACID • FRAGRANCE • MICA • TITANIUM DIOXIDE •

on 2/8/2013 11:51:00 AM

This is a fluid sunscreen with a higher SPF, suitable for wearing under makeup. It is my HG sunscreen for any time I wear base makeup.

Price: At $30 for 1 ounce, this stuff certainly isn't inexpensive. I read up on the pros and cons of choosing a sunscreen vs a moisturizer with SPF and ultimately decided that separate products (meaning an extra step in the morning) was the way I wanted to go. I had this and two products from Clinique (Cityblock Sheer and Sun) on my list to try, and got a sample of this off ebay to start.

Packaging: snap top, easy to handle.

Product: I stopped at the Clinique counter (in mid-winter) and was able to test their Cityblock Sheer without help, but had to get the salesperson to dig a tube of Sun out of a drawer, as they normally don't display that until summer. As a comparison, I think both of Clinique's products are certainly a good value--neither was overly scented, or felt sticky, heavy, or tacky on the skin--everything you'd want in a product you're going to put something over (like foundation). However, I felt the texture of Clinique Sun was definitely more like a sunscreen you'd wear sans makeup for a day at the beach, and the Cityblock Sheer I tried was tinted, which I don't need under makeup. I'll be looking at CBS again for the summer when I tend to ease off a full makeup routine. However, both of the Clinique products--which was absolutely not the case with the Shiseido--were thick enough that they required squeezing to get them from their respective tube containers, and I had a fair amount of separation oil in my hand from the CBS, which I'm fairly sure can be remedied by vigorous shaking.

In any case, UE from Shiseido had the best application and feel of the three--it's a lightweight fluid that pours from the packaging and disappears into my skin like water. My skin is dry and was fairly acne-prone a few years back, but after using this for about 3 weeks, I haven't had any issues at all with breakouts. I use this over my regular moisturizer, and then apply my foundation on top without issue. Best of all, after deciding I wanted to continue to use this product (despite its high price tag), I was able to find some on sale. This is good stuff and definitely worth it if you can stomach the price tag.

on 1/29/2013 1:31:00 PM

This dried out my skin and caused some irritation bumps. My skin is oily as well as dehydrated, so anything with alcohol dries it out easily. Also, this contains ethylhexl palmitate, which can be problematic for some acne-prones; I believe it caused some zits I got while using this sunscreen. Will not repurchase.

on 12/29/2012 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I've been buying this sunscreen for years now. I used to use the more waterproof one but now I use this "urban protection" one. It's an excellent product. As I use rentinoid creams on my face I need solid sun protection. this has not let me down!

on 12/28/2012 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Another great product from Shiseido. I've only been very pleased with all of Shiseido's sun protection products. I think they are all great. I wanted to submit a review for its classic 55 SPF lotion, but I see it's been discontinued. I learned that the new 50+ is the same thing, it's just that the FDA doesn't allow brands to list SPF with figures of over 50 anymore or something like that.

For the classic blue 50+/55 SPF, I used that for years. It protected my skin from years of surfing, swimming, and all kinds of outdoor activities under the harsh sun in California and Hawaii. It's a tried and trued product loved among surfers as well. Anyway, it doesn't leave me looking like a ghost. Sure, it may appear that way at first, but don't use too much and spread it evenly, massage it into your face. I pat mine in very well and my skin tone looks natural. It's a great primer as well.

on 11/30/2012 2:37:00 PM

Great product. I've tried all the sunscreens from sephora to try to find one that's not too oily and still offers good protection. This product fits all the requirements. Also, it has not broken me out (but I do double cleanse) I've also used the clarins sunscreen , which is very similar. I've compared the two side by side and noticed clairins is a tad creamier. I don't want to say oilier but maybe a little bit but it dries quickly. Overall, this is priced better than clarins's.

on 11/24/2012 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

LOVE THIS STUFF.

I have oily, sensitive skin, and this has been my favorite sunscreen so far. The finish is perfect - not too matte and not too shiny/sticky. No white cast. No breakouts. I can leave the house just like that, or I can wait a couple of minutes and apply makeup right over it with no problems. I tend to sweat more than the average person... and found that the sun protection was long-lasting and not even affected by that.

Only downside is the size of the bottle! I wish it came in the bigger size (like Shiseido's blue bottle sunscreen). I've gone through several bottles now, and will keep using it as long as they make it!

Price-wise, I wish it was priced the same as their other sunscreen... I think it was $30 for a 1oz bottle. Kind of pricey. But for what it does, I'll gladly pay the $30. The bottle lasts a surprisingly long time, considering the size. You can't really see through the bottle though, so I always make sure to have a backup on hand in case I run out.

on 10/25/2012 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have very sensitive skin that would break out with everything ESP on my t zone. I went to sephore on a search of an oil free ss and the lady that works there told me to use this. I've used shiseido ss, the one in the blue bottle (forgot the name) and it broke me out so I was a bit hesitant. I asked for a sample but they didn't have any. Funny thing is that when I got it, this product just came out so she brought out a sample size they use for display (lol). Anywho I gave it a shot and bought the bottle. I wished it wasn't so expensive. $30+ for only 1oz. But I am very satisfied with this product. It doesnt irritate my skin like the other ss I've tried before and it doesn't leave me with a white cast. The product is thin, easy to blend, and absorb quickly. Main thing is that it doesn't break me out. I use this ss daily and works fine under my makeup. I def will repurchase.

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

This is a great product. It has a high SPF, and it wears well on its own or under makeup. This isn't my everyday sunscreen--unless it's really hot out or I'm going to be exercising, it's not moisturizing enough for me to just put it on over serum and be good to go, and i prefer not having to layer 3 products every day (serum+moisturizer+sunscreen starts to feel like a lot). But that's not the product's fault (it's designed for oilier skin, after all) and it's ideal if it is hot out or if I'm going to be being active outdoors (hiking, skiing, running, etc.). Plus I really appreciate any facial sunscreen with an SPF over 30, especially if I'm going to be spending a big chunk of time outside rather than just getting incidental sun exposure.

on 9/4/2012 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

*The new version is broad spectrum. I find both the new and old versions to be quite similar.

I don't find that this works for my oily skin. It has a runny consistency that is easy to blend into your skin and this does leave a nice, soft-matte finish. There is a bit of a white cast but if I let the sunscreen sink in well, I don't really see one. The main reason this won't work for me is because it does nothing for oil control. I don't think it made me oilier, but it did mess with the lasting-power of my make-up and didn't help with the oilies.
Something very similar but with better oil-control is Clarin's UV Plus.

Update: Another thing to consider is the high alcohol content, which can also make this sunscreen a bit drying. These days, I cannot use this sunscreen because it is too drying for my dehydrated oily skin.

For more info on my experiences with Shisiedo sunscreens:

As of now (summer 2013), the following Shisiedo sunscreens are available in the US (these are the basic sunscreens, not including anything like lip protection, tinted products, etc.):

Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream/Lotion N SPF 38 (Broad spectrum)
Ultimate Sun Protection Cream/Lotion+ SPF 50+ (Broad spectrum)
Urban Environment UV Protection Cream SPF 40 (Broad spectrum)
Urban Environment Oil-free UV Protector SPF 42 (Broad spectrum)

All of these products were recently reformulated and I have to admit I've very disappointed :( As someone with (dehydrated) oily skin, none of them work for me, including the urban enviro lotion, which is both too drying and lacking in oil control.

Although only the urban enviro lotion claims to be oil-free, from what I can tell looking at ingredient lists, none of these sunscreens contain oil. (But check anyway if that's important to you).

According to Shisiedo, extra smooth is best for drier skin types, ultimate is for activities that involve lots of sun exposure, and urban enviro is for everyday (though the lotion is targeted for oilier skin types).

The formulas are white, with the lotions on the runnier side, and the creams a little thicker. Both the extra smooth and ultimate formulas feel a bit greasy and leave my face with shine -- lotions and creams. Only the urban enviro lotion feels like nothing, though the urban enviro cream is a little mattifying in the beginning.

All of the sunscreens have some form of alcohol, but I don't think they would be considered drying for most. That is, except the urban enviro lotion, which my dehydrated oily skin cannot handle due to the high alcohol content. (Interestingly, even when I was very oily, I could not use this lotion, but for a different reason: little oil-control. So either I find it too drying initially, or not mattifying enough.)

I found the cream formulas a bit too rich for my oily skin, and none have the initial mattifying effect of their past formulations (except the urban enviro cream, but it's not that great anyway).
The ultimate cream was a favorite for the oily-skinned because of its mattifying abilities, but I can't say the same for the new formula. It leaves a shine after application (rather than a semi-matte finish) and it does not control oil.

As for a white cast, I find that I do see one with most of the formulas, particularly the ultimates. However, with the extra smooth and urban enviro formulas, I don't have a problem when I let them sink in. For the ultimates, I try to blend them in well and also give them some time to sink in.
In terms of photos, however, there is a ghostly face effect.

One thing to keep in mind with these sunscreens is that you really need to remove them properly -- preferably with an oil. They are known for their tenacity so if you experience any breakouts, consider your removal methods too.

on 8/25/2012 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I tried a sample of this I received from the counter over holiday. I usually use the other SS [in the blue bottle] but thought it'd be good to try out. The texture is a bit thick and not as easily spreadable as the other SS but feels okay on the skin. It can be quite heavy feeling. But I did not receive any breakouts. It went well underneath my makeup. I do think I have to spend extra time to remove it as I still feel the SS when I wash [I double cleanse anyway but just a heads up].

I might buy this during the Sephora F&F because it's quite pricey.