November 24, 2014 | 1797 users online

Moisturizers - Trader Joe's - Nourish Oil-Free Antioxidant Facial Moisturizer

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2013 3:49:00 AM More reviews by berrycurious

Did a pretty good job making my face soft. Pretty good quality ingredients -- EXCEPT retinol.

Attention: since this product contains retinol, it should only be worn during the night, because retinol breaks down and becomes carcinogenic when exposed to sunlight. No bueno, so I'm reducing a lippie.

**Update: after using this a month or two, I still have peeling dry spots in my T-zone. It did NOTHING for my dry facial skin after the first time I used it.

7 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 2:34:00 AM More reviews by fromskyline

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I LOVE this facial moisturizer. I'm picky about smells (I find perfumey fake smells make me nauseous at night time), and I hate it when the lotion doesn't sink into my face.

I bought this on a semi-whim on a trip to Trader Joe's. I say semi because I read the ingredients and was incredibly happy to see 1) sodium hyaluronate (helps to retain moisture to skin = how to keep your skin looking youthful), and 2) nothing ending in -paraben. The whim part was I shoved it into my shopping basket when I saw it was $6 (as of October 2012 it's still $6). (I also bought the accompanying cleanser - will review that as well).

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR ALL MY LIFE. I've been very disappointed with high end brands such as Lancome, Shiseido, Kate whatever, high end Asian brands that cost $300 for 2 bottles of goop, etc etc). For a while I just stopped using facial moisturizers all together and decided to accept looking like I was afflicted with some kind of skin disorder.
Not even joking. I have combo skin (super-dry flakey cheeks/chin, semi-oily but also flakey forehead - it's weird), and this is the only facial moisturizer that has smoothed down the dry flakiness, kept my skin moisturized without resulting in slippery oiliness, and free of parabens.
Also, NO WEIRD PERFUME SMELLS. Thank you dear dermatologist who has released this wonderful gift at a wonderful price... I love you...

Edit: December 2, 2012
It is 2 months later, and I still love this facial moisturizer. I've used 40% of the bottle, and I cannot find myself going to another facial moisturizer right now. I use 1 pump in the morning beneath my sunblock, and 2 pumps at night. It's so good, I think on my next trip to Trader Joe's I'll pick up a back-up bottle cause I'd absolutely HATE to go a morning or a night without this moisturizer. That is definitely the first time I've ever said such a thing about a moisturizer. This must be true love. <3

Edit: September 22, 2013
I'm still using it. It's been 1 full year of using this product, and I still adore it.
Let me tell the reasons why -
1. Fragrant free. This is a huge one, because it truly is fragrant free. I've tried other fragrant free moisturizers, but they smell funky/strange/gross. And then the fragranted ones make me feel nauseous and terrible.
2. Not too heavy, not too light. I have combination skin, aka greasy along T, but super dry everywhere else (my mouth area looks like I rubbed chalk around my lips, ugh). This evens out the weird T-grease and the dry-O on my face perfectly without giving me acne.
3. Paraben-free. I already eat enough junk, I don't need to put more junk on my face.
4. Pump bottle = I'm not sticking my fingers into a jar I'll be using for the next few months; no accidental petri dish deal going on.
5. Price. Affordable and doesn't break my wallet.
6. Accessibility. At most Trader Joe's (I don't want to say All because that might be false) I've been to, at the same price.

23 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2012 4:02:00 PM More reviews by CompulsiveBeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using this for almost 2 months with the matching cleanser. This is my new HG. I love it.

Pros
-very moisturizing (helped hydrate and eliminate the fine lines I was getting from my retinol drying me out).
-Improved skin tone
-Has pretty much all of the ingredients I've wanted in a moisturizer (aloe,glycerin, vitamin k, collagen, copper,Co Q10, vitamin e and a, green tea etc)
- Not to mention its sooo cheap, I use it all over my neck.

Negatives
- It did give me a couple of small blackheads (not noticeable with makeup on). So I went back to using my retinol in the pm (and this in the AM, instead of using this twice a day. It cleared it up).

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2012 2:24:00 AM More reviews by LizzS

Only tried this product a few times, worked ok, moisturized well without being greasy. Discovered though, that this product labeled vegan both on packaging and in store has soluble collagen, hydrolyzed silk and vitamin D3, all of which are not vegan in it. I know I should have read it, but trusted them.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2012 6:17:00 AM More reviews by loveforsocks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

The first time I used this product I was a little worried because I have oily skin. It doesn't do anything to combat oil, but I find it to be really good for my skin. I only use it at night before I go to bed (since I'm not going to be worrying about an oily face when I sleep!). I find that in the morning my skin looks very refreshed, and has that nice plump look. My skin is also acne prone and this moisturizer is gentle enough that it doesn't aggravate my acne at all. The pump on the bottle is nice, especially since you can turn it to lock in case you want to take it with you somewhere. If you read the ingredient label you will find that it contains a lot of really good stuff, including vitamin A (retinol) which is one of the best things for both acne and wrinkles. Like other Trader Joe's products it's affordable and natural.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2012 3:57:00 AM More reviews by Quilley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A lot of what has been said about this moisturizer I agree with. It's a winner for sure. It's cheap, effective, the price point is budget friendly and it was developed by an anonymous dermatologist who sells a similar product in his office for much more money.

It's paraben free and the pump means a lot less germs for those of us who worry about transferring bacteria, etc. 1 pump is plenty, almost a teaspoonful which means I can coat my throat and face really well. For now I'm using this at night because it has no SPF. It mixes well with a drop of jojoba, which I use to give my skin a little more moisture.

My skin feels nice and moist afterwards and I can still apply my (heaver) eye cream over it and my actives under it. I'm using this with caution based on what lexabee wrote about it containing ingredients that *may* breakout acne prone skin. I've been using it for a week and so far, so good.

Will update if I experience any changes.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2012 12:56:00 PM More reviews by tricyclesinskirts

I would have passed this by (and many other excellent TJ brand beauty items,) if not for repeated mentions of trader joe's on both hair and skincare board. Its been surprisingly difficult to find a good night cream for my clog-prone, mid-twenties, confused skin--cerave (cream and PM,) cetaphil, atopalm MLE, rosehip/argan oil, vanicream, nivea, etc, none were quite right. Too thick, clogged my pores, left my skin greasy, or not moisturizing enough. I doubted a $5.99 moisturizer would be much better, but before splurging on LRP or avene, I gave TJ's a shot.

Mother of god. It's perfect. One pump is perfect for face and neck, it's unscented, has no scary additives to break a girl out, and combines beautifully with jojoba oil, which I use at night. Its also perfect for daytime use because it soaks in so quickly, and doesn't ball up underneath my sunscreen (either LRP anthelios or L'Oreal silk SPF 50.) i honestly believe that if this product had a different label on it it would cost about 5x as much. Until my skin makes another big change, I'm considering my search for a night cream over. Yay!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2012 1:56:00 AM More reviews by prncessjasmine

i worked in a place who sold high-end skin care! This has many things in it that are awesome. Its even parben free, oil and fragrance free. It has coffee in it for skin tightening, vitamin c for anti aging and hyper pigmentation, vitamin A for anti aging, pomegranate an antioxidant, coenzyme Q10, chamomile &aloe to sooth skin, vitamin K, and shea butter.Many ingredients that are in high end moisterizers. It goes into your skin easily and doesnt have a greasy feeling. I recomend it for all skin type but people who tend to break out. It has ingredients that you can pronounce.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2012 2:58:00 AM More reviews by lexabee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a great moisturizer if you DO NOT have acne prone skin. Despite being oil free and fragrance free, the major problem people with acne prone skin will have with this is the fact that it contains ethylhexyl palmitate, an ingredient which is highly comedogenic and should not be used if you have acne prone skin. It caused me to break out, and even though Trader Joe's markets this moisturizer toward those with acne prone skin because of how gentle it is, it can still cause breakouts in some people including myself. Im not going to give it a low rating, because other than the silly ethylhexyl palmitate being waaaay high up in the ingredients list, It is a great moisturizer.

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2012 9:59:00 PM More reviews by circusriddle

Initial review was written after a month and half of usage, please scroll down for updates.

My skin type: sensitive, acne-prone, oily.

Like the other reviewers here, I had been using the cleanser for a while before I decided to try this out as well. I've been trying to go as simplistic as possible with my facial skincare. No fragrances, no clogging ingrediants, nothing heavy that was going to break me out. I spotted this and decided to go for it.

It's pretty basic, and it seems to do everything it says it does. It's lightweight, fragrance free, doesn't clog me up. I cannot at this point say if it is breaking me out because I breakout constantly and with little provocation, but this doesn't seem to be hurting.

Packaging is excellent. All skincare products should come with a mandatory pump like this and the its cleanser counterpart.

I'll have to wait and see after a couple months how this is holding up on my skin (hopefully my skin will have cleared up more by then) but until then this gets a solid 5/5 from me.

EDIT 08/11/12: I believe this may be aiding the clogging up my skin and possibly breaking me out. I also don't really feel like this is moisturizing my skin much. It sits on my skin and I guess it doesn't really do much else. I've since switched to another moisturizer and not only is my overall skin improving, but I have not seen a breakout since. My skin feels much more moisturized now and I don't see as much oil on my face as when I was using this. I don't think I'll be going back.

EDIT 05/15/13: So in my last update I had set this moisturizer aside in favor of jojoba oil cleansing and an Aveeno moisturizer. My skin was doing very well at first, but over time my routine just wasn't cutting it. I am now back to using this as a basic moisturizer and I have to say, its pretty darn good. Doesn't break me out or clog me up. I do have to say that sometimes I don't feel like its quite moisturizing enough at night, but it does a great job as a daytime moisturizer in the summer. The trick to apply this (and any moisturizer) is by sheering it out between your fingers (or against the back of your hand) and then patting it in sections all over the face so that its all evenly distributed and you're not over applying.

A great moisturizer and one I know I can turn to for clear skin.

EDIT 12/25/2013: Its been a while since my last review and I thought I'd update because I find it helpful to see if products make it for the long haul and maybe others might be curious as well. As you can tell by my edits, I keep coming back to this product and that is true to this day. I've stuck with this moisturizer for over a year now and my skin is never at its best unless I'm using this. It is an HG product for me and one that I can count on to not wreck my skin. However, now that its colder I find its just not moisturizing enough for me, so I've added a moisturizing serum underneath until I find a basic moisturizer during the wintertime (I'm going to be testing out Elta MD Intense.) If my skin gets oily or when summer rolls around, I'll be right back to using this. All in all, a great basic moisturizer for those that don't need a ton of moisturizing.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No