September 17, 2014 | 1790 users online

Body Scrubs - brown sugar scrub

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2010 6:39:00 PM More reviews by Utopia22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Hooray, this really works! Though i mix it with a regular body soap cos i felt that olive oil left my skin with a oily layer. Felt sticky and not the best preparation for self tanning.
I use The Body Shop gloves which are great and make me use the brown sugar more efficiently (don't loose to much sugar).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2010 2:11:00 PM More reviews by angelixia07

I use this as a scrub w/ olive oil and it works wonderfully. The oil keeps my sensitive skin from being irritated and the brown sugar exfoliates thoroughly. The trick to it if you have sensitive skin is to use gentle pressure but just spend longer scrubbing. I find that this works better than my old hg, clinque 7 day scrub and so much cheaper. I am super acne prone too and this hasn't broken me out. I think that this is also less abrasive and gentler on the face than plain granulated sugar.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2010 6:50:00 PM More reviews by makeupdivajunkie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I made a batch of this the other day just to see if I liked it. I used 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 3T of EVOO and 2T of honey. I did have a problem with the oil seperating and pooling on top but no worries. I just scooped it all up together in my hand and then I applied it to my dampened legs before shaving. The scrub was gentle but effective. After shaving my legs felt like a baby's bottom. I am highly impressed that something so easily made with a couple ingrediants for relatively nothing could be so much better than a $35 Bliss scrub I have in the shower. I will be using this homemade scrub for the rest of my life! LOVE!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2010 9:25:00 PM More reviews by isingonrooftops

Brown sugar as a scrub works decently. It feels nice when you gently massage on your face, but it dissolves too quickly for you to enjoy the full effects. If I were to only review this as a scrub, then I would not buy this again. However, as a drink, it is delicious. My mom taught me how to make this brown sugar drink where you get some water, add in two very full spoons of brown sugar, and then boil. Amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2009 3:58:00 PM More reviews by perfectflower

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I used white fine grained sugar as well. This stuff is excellent, get's all the dead skin cells off. It reminds me of this Neostrata microderma stuff I used except the sugar is less harsh bonus.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2009 2:45:00 AM More reviews by fihe

I happened to have some brown sugar in my refrigerator so I decided to go ahead and use this treatment when I read the rave reviews here on MUA. the brown sugar I have is broken up into balls and they were hard to break so I had to run it under a bit of water first. then I combined the brown sugar with a little bit of olive oil and massaged it all over my face, then left it on for about two minutes. and when I rinsed it off, my face felt INCREDIBLY soft! :O I've read about how this has helped people with acne, so I will make sure to update once I've used it enough to tell!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2009 10:44:00 PM More reviews by LeAnne33

I just tried this for the first time and instant pros are that my skin is unbeliveable soft,=softer than I have expierenced with any other exfoliant, it feels great-like it washed away any trace of dead skin cells, it is dirt cheap, easy to use, and washed away easily with a little face wash. cons....??? I haven't experienced any yet. I will def be using this again and can't wait to use it as an all over body scrub!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2009 8:24:00 PM More reviews by xxrrissaaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

this has saved my skin! PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE ACNE. I've always had really good skin until about 8 monthes ago when i started getting pimples all over my forehead, temples, and around my nose. Also, my nose became covered in blackheads and my skin was very oily. I figured that my basic cleanser and moisturizer would no longer work anymore so I went into attack mode i would overwhelm my face with masks, scrubs, and toners. I would put everthing and anything on my face that i might think get rid of the pimples. I would break out really bad randomly in the month and it would stay that way for about two weeks and some of the pimples stayed there for MONTHS! I would usually have about a week where my skin was healing and then less than a week were my skin was good/decent. In June, my doctor gave some free samples of epiduo but they dried out my skin so bad and made my acne even worse. I couldn't even put makeup on because my whole face was literally coming off ! I tried out several different acne treatment samples from my dermatologist such as duac, tazorac(sp?), and aczone but i could never really tell if they were working. Then one day in mid July i just decided to stop with all these products. I went back to my clean and clear foaming face wash for sensitive skin and started using raw sugar mixed with some cleanser and water and spread it over my face with an electric toothbrush. I had a couple of medium sized pimples that started to bleed but after doing this two nights they healed! I continued to do this and before i knew it my skin was not only clear but it was glowing and so incredibly soft and smooth. My skin was flawless except for a couple of really tiny red bumps around my nose and some mild red acne scarring on my forehead(i never even picked!). I was so happy until about a week later i notice some very small pick marks on my forehead that weren't there before. I immediately stopped with the sugar scrubs and electric toothbrush and my skin stayed clear for about a week until I got one good sized pimple in the middle of my forehead (why god?) and a couple medium sized ones around my nose that looked underground. I wanted to get rid of them but i was scared that i would be left with a crater face so i applied some glycolic acid 10% cream to them and once they were smaller i mixed some brown sugar(which is smaller and less jagged than raw sugar) with extra virgin olive oil and OMG why didnt I do this sooner?! Now I do this every night after cleansing and I massage it on my face and make sure to get all the creases(those sides of the nose!) and my face is absolutely FLAWLESS. I dont even have any little bumpies on the corners of my nose! This is so cheap and effective and you know exactly what you're putting on your skin. Using this with a gentle cleanser and the glycolic cream has made my skin so perfect and now I can go outside with no makeup and feel really good about myself.I never would have guessed that just by exfoliating and cutting down on all the harsh products would have been the answer to my battle with acne. I know this review is long but I just wanted to share my story with acne and how this brown sugar and EVOO scrub cured my it!

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2009 5:35:00 PM More reviews by rvmc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I was disillusioned with the cost of facial exfoliants (even at the supermarket) and decided to go through the pantry instead. I mixed some brown sugar in a plastic container with a bit of foaming cleanser, mashed it up a bit, and scrubbed my face.

Better than any "pre-made" exfoliant I've found, for sure. Considering $NZ3 of brown sugar would last you... uhm... six months or so... that's pretty frugal. And you don't need much cleanser either (alternatively you could use olive oil to mix with it).

I've found is it's useful to do the following:
-Use a gentle facecloth to remove it from your face
-Don't press too hard when scrubbing
-If you have combination T zone like me you will benefit from cleansing your T zone separately afterwards. I like to use Trilogy balancing gel cleanser for this.

PROS:
Dirt cheap
Can be used on face and body
Completely natural
Washes away cleanly
Non-toxic

CONS:
...?

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2009 2:53:00 PM More reviews by redlipstickbandit

One of my favorite at multi-use products! I use this with different ingredient depending on my mood/skincare needs. I will mix it with a splash of lemon juice for my face.Or mix it with ground oatmeal,cocoa powder and milk for a lovely exfoliationing mask. If my body needs some extra exfoliating I will mix it with olive oil and coffee grinds.