October 20, 2014 | 1497 users online

Top/Base Coats - Revlon - Colorstay Longwear Nail Enamel - Base Coat [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2012 6:19:00 PM More reviews by littlehammer_05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have only used this product once and will never use it again! The smell is SO HORRIBLE that I can't stand it. I noticed the smell before putting on my layers of nail polish and a top coat and I can still smell it hours later. It smells so much like plastic that I've had a headache ever since I put it on. It may be the best base coat out there (I have no clue), but just the smell will keep me far, far away from it!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2012 9:07:00 PM More reviews by JGjo

i just started doing my nails, so i can't compare this to other base coats. i've been doing my nails w/o a BC & they would chip within 2-3 days. it's now been 3 days since i've had a very dark purple on & nothing's happened! i'm gonna update once i see how long my polish stays in place til it chips. the reason i gave it a 4, though, is b/c it might just be me, but it smells SO badly, even after a day! i know it's not the polish or top coat b/c i've used them before w/o the stench, but it goes away in about 2 days.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2012 5:35:00 PM More reviews by nicolecamren

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This base coat works great! I've had it for 2 weeks and i've been really happy with it. Without this base coat my nails will chip after 2 days, with the base coat will last at least 5 days (my nails didn't have any chips I was just ready for a different color) Cvs had revlon nail enamels for 4.99 with $3 in extracare bucks when I bought it and then I had a dollar coupon so I $ was able to score it for .99 cents. If your in the market for a base coat pick this one up next time there's a sale on revlon products :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by jamurphy89

This is a fantastic product. This goes for both the base coat AND the top coat.

The price of these can range anywhere from $5-$10, depending on where you are shopping. The base coat literally grabs ahold of any color that you are polishing your nails and doesn't let go! Even without any top coat on it, it stayed on with NO CHIPS WHATSOEVER for about 4 days! With the top coat, it stays a bit longer. I've used Seche Vite and so many other top coats, but I have never found a combo (such as these two-the base and top coat) quite like these!

I highly recommend them! If you can only get one of them, get the base coat! Otherwise, get both! You will be glad you did!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2012 11:39:00 PM More reviews by stoli037

I just started using this product and I really like it. It fills the small ridges in my nails, dries quickly, and the polish goes over it smoothly. I can even just paint my nails with it and use it as a clear polish.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2012 4:20:00 PM More reviews by non722

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Finally something that doesn't chip or peel! I've used out the door, seche vite, and other random brands but they always peel if not chip. I read somewhere that top/base coat had to be used as a set and work only with the revlon colorstay nail polish. I haven't tried it with other nail polish brands so I can't attest to this but the set works fabulously with the Revlon polish.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/19/2012 3:05:00 PM More reviews by thirdeye32

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this base coat for my holographic polishes. I've never used NfOh Aqua base but this looks similar and keeps my holos on much much longer than usual. Holo's on me will scratch off sometimes with minor dings, but this keeps that from happening. I like how quick it drys, but it feels and looks like watered down elmers glue and does get thicker feeling in the bottle kind of quickly. Its not sticky or wet to the touch but it has a feeling of not completely drying but I think that is by design and its sort of like Stickey Base Coat. I'm always seeing $1.00 OFF Revlon coupons and I'll keep getting it just for the Holos alone. I do like it for my others polishes too.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2012 2:01:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

What It Claims:
    "Gel-Like shine and up to 11 days of shatterproof color (When worn with Colorstay™ base & top coats). Colorstay nail color formula is fortified with unique ingredients that provide high impact color and gel-like shine in fashion forward range of shades and finishes. This technology is based on a unique combination of resin and high molecular weight polymers designed to provide flexible, shatterproof color with excellent color retention and gloss."

Claims - True or False?
    1) Up to 11 days of wear: Undetermined
    2) Gel-like shine/Gloss: True (not be solely due to base)
    3) Excellent colour retention: Undetermined

Packaging:
    While I really like the practicality of the packaging, it looks and feels fairly cheap. It also looks a bit awkward. The cap is almost the length of my pinky and thumb, definitely the longest cap for a nail polish that I've ever seen or used. The length does give it an upper hand over other polishes, as it makes opening the bottle much easier compared to stubbier caps. It's made of a plain black plastic, which does not hinder the ease of opening the bottle. The bottle itself is a cylinder shape, so it's comfortable to hold in the hand while opening. The brush consists of two slim brushes placed together, which spreads the polish over the nail quite nicely and easily. It is similar in shape to the Rimmel Lasting Finish Pro brushes, only shorter and not as wide.The bottle lists all the ingredients, and the name of the polish is on the top of the cap.

formula:
    This base comes in a grey, clouded shade which goes on clear. It goes on glossy and somewhat smooths over the ridges I have in my nails. The formula is on the thicker side but has very good flow. It seems to take a little while to dry compared to more liquidy bases, but I am able to apply my polish on top without waiting. I initially found that the polishes I tried with the base seemed to drag a bit. With one coat of the base I was also able to still visibly see my nail ridges and brush strokes. I do not know for sure if it affected dry time of the polish or not. With my first use of the base, I saw that my nails looked a bit ragged at the tips after the first day of wear. The back of the bottle indicates to use two coats. When I did try it with two coats I found that it looked much better. However, I found that the wear was still poor. I also felt like the polish didn't go on as opaque with this base.
    I gave it another chance. This time around I made sure to really shake up the bottle well as indicated on the back. I then applied a layer onto all fingers and immediately went over to my nail colour. Compared to how it looked applied over my current L'Oreal base coat, the polish looked almost completely smooth. My ridges were barely visible, the only issue being a few bubbles from the polish itself (as the bubbles were also visible with the L'Oreal base, although less visible with this base). It looked super shiny. However, as with my initial trial, it wore poorly. Less than 24 hours and I had tip wear on all nails as far as I could tell. *Edit: the tip wear may have actually been shrinkage, although it was a bit hard to tell since it didn't occur until far later in the day and definitely looked like wear. Possibly a combination of both, but I do definitely think it was more shrinkage!

Wear time:
    Very poor when used without its matching top coat. Maybe 1 day max before nails start to show wear.

Bang for your Buck:
    I paid about $8.00CAD for this 11.7ml bottle. While it seems relatively affordable, the amount given is less than many other drug store and mid-range brands, so overall the price is not necessarily that much different than pricier DS polishes or mid-range polishes. Two coats are also better suited to this base, which means that the product may be used up quickly.

Final Consensus:
    I was hoping that this base would work well, but I am fairly disappointed. I used it without its matching top coat, but I don't want to be bound to using a "set." If you are interested in the set, then check it out, but I cannot recommend this for use along with an existing top coat.
    - Pros: Not too pricey, nice brush, good cap for easier opening, nice consistency, goes on easily. evens out ridges fairly well.
    - Con: can cause dragging, didn't wear well, not given much product, can take a while to dry, seems to cause shrinkage.

Overall Rating: 2/5
    Price: 2/5
    Packaging Quality: 4/5
    Would you buy this product again: No.