October 20, 2014 | 1683 users online

Fragrances - Frederic Malle - Une Fleur de Cassie

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2006 7:42:00 AM More reviews by maliastyle

Like Noir Epices, a grand disappointment, although I expected less from this, since I am not a floralista by any means. Sharp, and incredibly quick to bring on a splitting headache. Absolutely, unquestionably, ridiculously awful on me.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2006 8:48:00 PM More reviews by clafouti

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Works very well on me - good chemistry.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2006 7:30:00 PM More reviews by Rose20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Smells like Liu/Guerlain and Ecusson/Jean D'Albret. They are both cheaper, so why buy this?

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2006 9:56:00 PM More reviews by dancingoutlaw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I think cassis is a large part of what I like about Ralph Lauren's Pure Turquoise; there is something calming about it. I hate that this is such a horrible experience on others’ skin, but for me it works after about 15 minutes. It isn't a favorite Malle, and I don't want a full bottle...but I like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2005 11:18:00 AM More reviews by mommymilk

I received this sample from the questionnaire I filled out many months ago. Because of the intense reviews, I've put off testing it. However, I finally did it, and I cannot believe how extreme some of the views are for what is incredibly beautiful on my skin! There is only one other fragrance that evokes this feeling in me - Angelique Encens. Now, this smells nothing like that particular classic, please don't misunderstand. But from the first spritz of Une Fleur de Cassie, my heart was won. It is an amazingly complex fragrance.

Papermill? No. Cat urine? Far from it. This is definitely one of those fragrances where I begin to understand the role body chemistry takes in fragrances. Gorgeous. Brilliant.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2005 7:22:00 PM More reviews by GlamDiva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Fleur de Cassie was just awful on me. That is all.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2005 8:53:00 AM More reviews by Flippit

Man... The opening notes smell like hot, sharp, bad breath. It's like riding the bus and your seat mate is an older gentleman who's never ascribed to the virtues of toothpaste, and he's just fallen asleep on your shoulder. It dries down a little better, thank goodness, and becomes sort of a musty peppery smell, but still not something I'd relish wearing.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2005 8:22:00 PM More reviews by BasiaS

This is completely unwearable, even repulsive. I can't smell the florals, just something musty and rotting and god knows what. I can't believe how awful this is!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2005 4:39:00 PM More reviews by rpolisk

All right ladies.... my, what strong feelings brought on by just a little fragrance! (just kidding, I totally get the strong-feelings- when-it-comes-to-smell thing). I have had this latest splurge addition to my FM collection for a few months now, but wanted to let things settle for a while before writing a review. I came upon this one not in Paris, as with the other scents I have from FM's library, but in Barney's Beverly Hills. I didn't care much for the store, and the FM table was abandonned with a couple of bottles lying about. I picked up Fleur de Cassie and sprayed it on my wrist, and was immediately sorry I'd done so. I was assaulted by a strong, musty smell with an acrid top note (this must be the cat urine oft mentionned below)and way too much mimosa. My husband, though, immediately liked it. I was stuck with it and kept shopping, smelling my wrist every few hours. As the day wore on, I became more and more intrigued by the evolving scent, and by nightfall had decided to plunk down the outrageous amount of $ for one bottle. Here's the thing about Fleur de Cassie: it's the least accessible fragrance I have smelled in a long time. There are plenty of foul-smelling perfumes out there, but that does not mean they're inaccessible. they just smell bad. Fleur de Cassie is actually an amazingly delicate yet subtle combination of odors that is much much more like a work of art than something you can just spritz on your wrist and go, no matter what the weather is or what you're wearing. It truly is like a couture gown, one from the 30's, not some sleek number by Calvin Klein. The textures and colors it evoques are dark chocolate or wine crimson satin or velvet. It has elements in it that are old-timey, not used anymore, ones that our smell centers are not used to. I think it's this unfamiliarity that makes it very odd (therefore off-putting) for most of you out there. It is also a very "European" scent, if there is such a thing as that. It is not something i feel like wearing every day (for that I have Angeliques sous la pluie, Bigarade Concentree, Un jardin sur le Nil, even Le Parfum de Therese), but when I do decide to wear it, I inevitably am complimented on it. There is a delicious base of vanilla and sandalwood, under all the complex flavors on top that lingers in a very sexy way by the end of the day. This is a smell that requires time to build and develop. The "mustiness" of it goes away and in its wake you get a soft warm carnal scent. The color of the perfume itself is absolutely stunning, more of a single malt scotch color than what's usually associated with perfume. Ultimately, this is a scent for the very few out there and will never be a huge crowd pleaser in the way of Obsession or Happy or any of the scents you find by the gallon at your nearest department store counter. For those of us who find it and appreciate Fleur de Cassie, it's yet another treasure from FM.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2005 10:58:00 PM More reviews by Wyrmiax

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I approached this one with trepidation. Who wouldn't, after reading the other reviews? Horse sweat, paper mill (I don't know how that smells), and cat urine (uh, I do know how that smells). But I have strange chemistry, so my mileage often varies, and this did work on me.

In the first few minutes, there was a weird note that was almost fleshy, but still sweet--it made me think that cassie flower is mimosa's carnivorous evil twin! But that note (which was not really unpleasant, just unsettling) soon disappeared, and the scent settled in for the duration--rich and sweet, smelling mostly like a mimosa/jasmine mix.

Even if I hadn't read the description, I would understand what Dominique Ropion was aiming for with this. It is very "vintage," in a self-conscious kind of way, like a woman who refuses to wear anything but vintage clothes. I only gave it a 4 because I don't much care for mimosa--this is the first time I've liked it at all. But if you love it, or love old-fashioned fragrances in general, do try it--especially if you want something a bit sexier than mimosa typically smells.