September 22, 2014 | 1220 users online

Treatments (Face) - Avene - Triacneal

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2012 11:08:00 PM More reviews by snowprinc3ss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I love how it got rid of redness caused by acne, also some white heads & clogged pores. Overall it improved the look of my skin, it is now brighter and clearer. However, it didn't help with my big fat inflamed pimples.. maybe it was not designed to treat cyst acne :/

overall, im ok with it, would still try a few more weeks and then decide if i want to buy it again or not. It is drying if you just use it alone at night, so I apply a moisturiser over it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2012 12:18:00 PM More reviews by stls

After 2 tubes of triacneal I still haven't figured out if I like it or not. It keeps my face relative clear without drying out my skin but still I break out once in awhile and use BP to treat my skin.
The tube is hygienic and convenient, the cream has no odor and is a bit thick. Leaves a yellow tinge on my fair skin after application. It doesn't sting like diacneal and doesn't feel oily. Doesn't really effect my pore size.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2012 3:02:00 PM More reviews by frostbites

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Pleased as punch so far (been using it since June).
Eluage Riche was my gateway retinoid and it became too mild after a while.
Perhaps it always was; while Eluage evened out my skintone, it did nothing for menstrual acne and my skin looked slightly dehydrated even though I buffered it with oil.
My skin is basically thin, pale, combined and easily dehydrated, acne prone. I tolerate AHAs very well and loved using Peter Thomas Roth's Unwrinkle Peel Pads (still a firm fave).

Triacneal shocked me at first, it was so strong. My first application felt like a chem burn for a few minutes; I was beet red and my skin stung a tad more than with usual AHA peels. Nothing that wouldn't subside by morning, mind you.

I soldiered through and after a week, all was well and tolerable. What amazed me the most was how effective this was on cystic acne.
I did experience a purging (on one side of the face), it lasted roughly two weeks. This was when I started using Avene Thermal water spray - it helped a lot.

So: I always apply on dry skin, after roughly an hour I spray lightly with Avene's Thermal water and apply/buffer with argan oil.
SPF is a must. I feel more sun sensitive than before but all other benefits considered, it's manageable.

My skin is noticeably clearer, more even, scars fade faster than ever, nothing dries out acne like Triacneal. I'm on my second tube now.

What surprised me the most was that Triacneal reversed some of the sun damage around my eyes (crows feet, now much more shallow, with skin seeming firmer).

EDIT: please, consider buffering with avocado oil - I find it helps calm the redness far better than argan oil. It is not as moisturizing as argan or rosehip oil but truly soothes and calms irritated skin.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/10/2012 8:42:00 AM More reviews by therubyprincess

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well, I purchased this from pharmamundi . com at deep discount; stateside I think this product hovers at around $60 retail but with pharma I paid around $20. In fact, I had such confidence I bought TWO TUBES (dumb, newbie mistake, I know). I had such high hopes for this to solve all my acne woes. As previous reviewers have stated, sure, it burns upon application but to me, I hoped that was a sign that miracles were happening.

Alas, after using this for a solid month here is my experience. While it cleared some old acne scarring on the apples of my cheeks and overall did smooth things out slightly, it clogged my pores. Badly. I religiously read the SCB and learned about the COSDNA and lo and behold figured out it was the Cetyl Alcohol and the Cetearyl Alcohol that had been clogging my skin up so much (compared this product with others that had broken me out and the common denominators turned up to be the fatty alkies).

It was with a heavy heart that I had to retire the TriAcneal to the back of my closet. Wish I could think of something to do with all that product!

Anyway, would never repurchase again. And a note to those wishing to buy: be sure to run the ing list through COSDNA first and compare it to other lists of prods that have definitely broken you out to see if there is a culprit in the mix. It's too expensive to waste.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/6/2012 3:53:00 PM More reviews by electroheart

I've had recurrent breakouts of cystic acne and clogged pores for years. I got this on the recommendation of my dermatologist, and I was excited to see the results, but they were super disappointing. It burned immediately on application, but this isn't anything new for someone who has used a million different acne treatments over the course of their teenage years.
I went to bed and in the morning the larger, cystic acne had reduced a little, enough that I noticed anyway. I continued using Triacneal the following day and then woke up to a serious case of clogged pores. Continuing application only made them worse.

A definite no from me, but funnily enough, I find other items in the Avene acne range to be really nice to use. Just not this one!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2012 8:15:00 PM More reviews by batspitcrazy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I wanted to like this, hoped it would replace a handful of other products with its all-in-one formula. NO. Clog city. I got the worst set of blackheads on my chin, between brows, and on my cheeks. Not purging, either. They started after about 2 weeks of use, and just kept on forming. I have gone back to using a separate AHA and BHA, and a good moisturizer and things have cleared up considerably. What a total waste of money, and what a mess it made of my skin. Horrible horrible product.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2012 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Xxkonixx

My skin is now da clearest it has been for yrs because of this product!!! I had acne since i was 14…and i have tried tons of stuffs and i have also tried a numbe of similar prescribed products which cost way more than this which i wasnt able to follow through for a long period of time to see result mostly because of too much irretations and didnt use it properly. After using it for less than a month, 90% of bumps on my face r gone. But i must emphasize its very important to use this with a simple and gentle skin care regime. I completely stopped doing any kind of mask and scrubbing during da cours of this product. If u have sensitive skin, i suggest to put this product on after a light moisturizer instead of before. Not just that it clearing out my skin but da dark spots that were left behind from a serious outbreak months ago are really fadingg!!!! Althought i still have pimples due to hormonal problems but wat this did for me is amazing enough for 5 lippies. My skin litterally look and feel better every morning…thx avene

UPDATE: Just like most acne treatment, my skin started to develop sensitivity over it and my skin becomes very dry and itchy with it so i had to stop.......

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2012 2:20:00 PM More reviews by SkinCareAficionado

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have no idea why this product has so many good reviews, I'm wondering if the people who have reviewed this have a handful of spots which don't pop up regularly.

My skin: I have moderate acne, I have closed comedones on the forehead, blackheads on the nose/surrounding cheek area. Hormones especially bring out spots, most are pustules but I get a handful of cystic ones which can last for 6 weeks or longer. Red pigmentation from past spots.

ONTO THE REVIEW: After using this for a month I noticed NO EFFECT on red pigmentation from old acne, NO effect on the closed comedones, NO effect on the blackheads, NO effect on current spots and certainly no prevention of new imperfection or acne. I didn't even get the initial breakout that others did, the only effect I had was a small amount of dryed, peeling skin on the end of my nose. This product (so far) has done nothing. I tried using only a pea sized amount as recommended, I tried using even more, no effect whatsoever. I have decided I'm going to wait another 2 months and will write again if there is a dramatic change, seriously unimpressed and not happy that I spent this much on a product that did nothing.

Other information about the product**
I bought this product as it states it helps to eliminate 'severe imperfections'. It should eliminate comedones (whiteheads/blackheads) and 'severe imperfections' brings to mind larger, more persistent spots (both pustules and nodular/cystic). Avene claims that after 2 months scars are reduced, imperfections vanished and skin regulated using 'Effectiose' funded by Pierre Fabre research laboratories to target irritation. 0.1% Retinaldehyde to regulate keritinisation (and forming of spots). Glycolic acid (10% may be lower - must wear SPF) to have a peeling effect to decongest the skin.

Ingredients: You can see the ingredients on their website - Glycolic acid appears behind water, cetyl alcohol, cyclomethicone, polysorbate 60, retinaldehyde is last on the list. It also contains alcohol denat (presumably so it is 'non-greasy') and perfume (smells medicinal) plus Avene Thermal water, and is a easily spread, amber coloured ointment texture.

Packaging: Comes in a shiny white tube with a small nozzle, standard Avene branding and in a box with an information leaflet and ingredients on the side.

Price: Very expensive. You get 30ml - not even a tube of toothpaste size, probably the size of an eye cream. £23 in the U.K.

EDIT************** haven't bothered using it anymore, biggest waste of money EVER.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2012 5:21:00 AM More reviews by azur77

Great product - I have dehydrated skin but lots of blackheads and had two cyst-like white-heads that I'd had for years and this has cleared them up in two months. I didn't buy it for ages because I thought it would dry out my already dry skin, but it doesn't at all. I've tried so many expensive products and now use this at night on the my cheeks, nose and chin, eluage on the other bits and Hydrance uv during the day. So simple and my skin looks and feels so much healthier. I live in Switzerland and stock up whenever I'm in France - reasonably inexpensive there, given it's a French product.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2012 11:40:00 AM More reviews by thehermit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Probably the best spot and localized area acne treatment I've used for whiteheads blackheads and smaller breakouts. I apply each night to areas where a bump is beginning to rise and part of my jawline where I used to get frequent acne. I don't put on a lot and I smooth in pretty well. I don't always notice the bumps being smaller in the morning but usually they aren't any bigger and after a couple of more nights they go away. They don't come to a head, they just kind of dry up pretty much leaving no scar. The are on my jaw where I have applied consistently no longer breaks out much.

I'm not crazy about the smell or color, but since it's used only at night (it has glycolic acid and an advanced retinol in it), it's not too much of an issue.

I bought this on pharmamundi which is by far the cheapest way to get it in the US. The tube has lasted a pretty long time, since I use it in small areas and don't put on too much.