April 21, 2014 | 1393 users online

Foundations - Cover Girl - Covergirl and Olay Tone Rehab 2 in 1 Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2013 11:33:00 PM More reviews by blog_antagonist

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

(((UPDATE: 01/08/14 I originally reviewed this product in the summer. Now it's winter and I have to say, it is the perfect foundation for this climate. I needed something a little more moisturizing, since we're having record lows here in the South this year and my skin has definitely shown the effects of that. But, still being oily, I worry about anything too emollient. After a few months of using the Cover Girl 3 in 1 (very, very good too, but too drying on me for the winter) I dragged this back out. WOW. Hydration without oiliness, the tone of my skin has improved again, they dry patches are gone and in the winter, I've found that this causes NO oily breakthrough. I'm even more pleased with it's performance now in the winter months. What a little drugstore gem! )))

I've waited a couple of weeks to write this review. I've been on a bit of a sampling binge, trying to find something suitable for my oily but aging skin. The full coverage, long wearing matte formulations that I have relied upon for years are now making me look older, more haggard and exacerbating all the issues I wear foundation to hide; fine lines, large pores, hyperpigmentation....etc. Several times I thought I had hit upon THE thing I was looking for, only to be disappointed.

So, let me first tell you what I was looking for...light, natural coverage that still did a decent job of evening skin tone and texture, but perhaps not hiding every imperfection, and gave me a youthful, fresh, luminous finish without shininess or greasiness.

The flat, blank canvas look that I sought previously now makes me look worn and kind of...dead. This is not an attractive look when one is in their mid-forties. BUT...most products formulated for aging skin just cannot stand up to the kind of oil I still produce. So it's been a real challenge. I've tried many high end brands in my quest, because I decided maybe I needed to splurge a little, since my needs were so unique and specific. And to be honest, I did like many of them a lot. But none were exactly right. Each of them had some issue (sometimes only minor, but still...) that made me unable to justify the high price tag.

I grabbed this on a whim at the grocery store one day. At $13.99, I figured my kids wouldn't go hungry and if it sucked, I wouldn't have to live with the guilt of starving them for my own vanity.

I don't have a good history with Cover Girl, because aside from their blushes, which I love, because they are fairly sheer, and thus, very suitable to someone as pale as I am, everything I have ever purchased has been terrible quality. So I didn't expect much.

Much to my surprise....this is AMAZING.

Some of the brands I have tried recently: Clinique, Tarte, Laura Geller, (BB Creams) Hourglass, (Immaculate) Dior (Skin Nude), Lanc�me (Teinte Idol Ultra) and Chanel (Vitalumiere Aqua).

Some of those I really liked, some were awful, (Hourglass, ugh!) but none of them were as good as this product.

It blends like a dream and the finish is just beautiful. Not matte. Not dewy. Like skin. For realz. It's not full coverage, but does a beautiful job of making my skin tone look bright and even. I need a concealer if I have a blemish or post blemish hyperpigmentation, but that's okay. That's what concealer is for, and any foundation that covers more pronounced issues is going to give that flat masky look I'm trying to avoid. I am very pleased with the finish, the level of coverage and the light texture.

Did it hold up to my oily skin? Yes and no. I knew I would have to sacrifice some oil control to get the lighter, fresher look I was after. But honestly, this actually fared much better than I expected. Do I get oily breakthrough? Yes. Do I have to powder? Yes. But I pretty much have to do that regardless. And, though I did experience shine, it did not cause the product to break down and get streaky or patchy or disappear. Nor did it cause it to settle into fine lines and wrinkles, which was another thing I was really looking for. Long wearing products crease terribly for me, particularly in the two very prominent lines in my forehead. This did not. And despite a few blots and powders, it looked as fresh at 8 hours as it did when I first applied it.

In addition, I have had no increase in breakouts. If anything, I have had far fewer. I think that's because it washes away easily and completely. Longwearing products can be hard to cleanse thoroughly. I was blaming my horrible oily skin, but really, I think it was the products I was using. And I do believe this has improved both the tone and clarity of my skin, as well as the condition overall. It seems more hydrated and just healthier somehow.

And really...since I was almost prepared to fork over $45 for Diorskin Nude (I did like it a lot, but the color selection just didn't work for me) I am pretty pleased to have found another product for literally, a third the cost.

My only quibble would be that they could provide a more extensive color selection. Classic Ivory works but it's juuuuuuuust a hair too dark, and of course, Ivory was a smidge too pale. It's not enough of a problem to prohibit me from buying it because thankfully, Classic Ivory is a neutral tone. But ideally, I would like a warmer shade. Cover Girl seriously needs to do something about the overwhelmingly pink and peach tones in their foundation shades. Show the yellow and olive toned girls some love please Cover Girl.

Don't be a brand snob. Just try it. Amazingly good product for an amazingly good price.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/30/2013 4:34:00 PM More reviews by svang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My current foundation. I don't love it, but since I am stubborn and I hate spending money on make-up... I'm going to use it until I find the right foundation! Its light-medium coverage. I have red patches around my nostrils, and it covers it up somewhat. I did notice that my skin tone improved with this product. But just a teensy bit. Its no miracle product, that is for sure. My biggest issue with this product is that I have oily skin, so my forehead is extremely shiny by lunchtime and I have to blot. I do appreciate that it is light-feeling and easy to apply. I apply with my fingers. It dries relatively quickly. Love the packaging... the pump works great.

If you have nice skin, go for it! I bought it on sale for only $9 at Walmart. If you have oily t-zone like me, look elsewhere.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2013 8:32:00 PM More reviews by Margie23a

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am a fan of the CG Simply Ageless foundation and just had to try this one because I liked the fact that it was in a pump (YAY!) and have never been a fan of the CG Simply Ageless packaging. The cover on this is pretty light, but it goes on smooth and blends well. It just evens out my skin tone and does not settle in to fine lines (like the CG Simply Ageless can if applied too thick.) I set this with my L'Oreal True Match Powder and was good to go for the day. It did not really last all day long, but at the end of the day I look a heck of a lot better than being bare faced and I really just wanted a nice every day foundation. I will probably rotate this with the CG Simply Ageless which I love, but do have to use it sparingly. Color wise, I am a 220 in the Simply Ageless and in this I am a Creamy Natural. I am fair skinned with freckles, and foundations can look to dark or chalky on me so finding the right color is usually a bit of a challenge at first.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2013 6:41:00 PM More reviews by tuffers

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product on a whim because I had never seen it before, was browsing cosmetics trying to remember what it was I needed (it wasn't foundation but what the heck) and it was raining so I wasn't in any hurry to make that mad dash for the car. Pretty much all I can think of to say about it is "meh." It's ok, I found the coverage to be very, very sheer so I ended up layering another foundation over it. The pump is great, the scent is lovely, coverage seems to last all day, didn't break me out and being such a sheer coverage, it's pretty easy to guess at your color, I got it right the first try. Don't believe any of the hype, it's just a plain, no nonsense light foundation. If you need to cover discoloration, red spots, freckles, etc, look elsewhere. My skin is getting dry and this foundation felt nice and emollient. For someone with perfect skin, I recommend this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2013 9:46:00 AM More reviews by avablue14a

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried this while shopping at my local Target. I've never been a big CG fan for their mascara and shadow but tried this since this is combined with Olay; I tried it and glad I did. I'd say this is medium coverage. I bought the Medium Beige and the color match is great. I have to apply translucent powder by the middle of the workday but other that, the coverage is medium and does its job for most of the day. For a drugstore brand it's in the $12 range, which is pricey but better than spending double or even triple that for other brands with the same coverage. I'd buy again. See my review for the CG Outlast Stay Fabulous.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by GaPeachy

Really liked this at first, but have been wearing about a week now and it starts to feel tight on my dry skin after a few hours. That's after wearing moisturizer under it also. The scent doesn't fade either and it's a little too strong. The finish is nice, but maybe oxidizes a bit. I got the golden tan shade and it does look a little orange.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2013 7:12:00 PM More reviews by HausOfMusic

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It is an amazing foundation! It's impressive that you get this for such a low price! It stays all day long and as the day go on, instead of making my face look oily and gross, it makes it look dewy and healthy. The only negative thing is that (at least the color I chose) makes me look orange.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2013 1:43:00 PM More reviews by amygregor

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this in 105 Ivory after reading positive reviews from fair-skinned people on drugstore.com. I should have learned my lesson about drugstore foundations for very fair skin. And I should have learned my lesson about picking out makeup online. But this was a $14 mistake. It seems expensive for a drugstore foundation, but if you're not fair, it might work for you. I do like the packaging. It's in an airless pump thing. I like the texture much better than the L'Oreal True Match, but Ivory is pretty dark, even for a drugstore foundation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by amy212

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Let me first say that I bought this foundation on a whim. It was new, BOBO and I in general really like Cover girl foundations. I barely tested this product when I got home, it seemed nice as I tossed it in my makeup draw not to be seen for a few months.

I typically was using a cream foundation by Maybelline, it has great finish, but was a tad to orange and dark, just enough to have to skimp on coverage as to not look off in color, plus I found it transparent over spots in certain light.

I then began using Revlon Colorstay for dry skin as I also thought the Maybelline may be transferring off my face, another reason it lacked coverage towards the afternoon.

Revlon Colorstay makes me look like I am wearing natural looking makeup, but still with makeup on. Not an issue in a professional setting, but as a mom picking up from preschool, most other moms don't need to wear foundation as I do to cover spots and I felt made-up, however nice and natural the look was. This foundation is also labor intensive, dries very fast and stains my sponge and brushes to the point that properly washing them is a real process.

I was not truly happy with Colorstay on the days that full coverage was not needed, so based on the reviews I dug out Olay Tone Rehab out and gave it a try.

This is a excellent foundation as it gives coverage without fading and very little, much less than a full pump is needed to cover my face. The color, Classic Ivory is very nice for my pale warm skin, leaving it like I have less imperfections yet without a made-up look. I also do not see issues with fading or transferring over time.

In all fairness, my skin has gotten much better recently so my need for foundation is minimal, but this makes a lovely "real skin" product that I will continue to buy as the application is simple, leaving me with just enough coverage to feel confident without looking like I have makeup on my face.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/7/2013 4:35:00 PM More reviews by SarahAshleyH

I love the texture of this product. It was so nice to put on and it looked great at first but as the day went on I started to break out really bad. This product is just not for me unfortunately. I would not recommend this to anyone with sensitive or acne prone skin as it might make things worse instead of better.