October 25, 2014 | 1652 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Sensitive Facial Cleanser with Cotton Extract

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2012 7:33:00 PM More reviews by Yum3ji

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: The Burt's Bees Natural Skin Solutions for Sensitive Skin line is naturally gentle and skin-friendly for daily use. Softening cotton extract helps replenish the outer layer, shielding it from potential irritants such as harsh soaps or cleansers so your sensitive skin will look and feel beautiful, naturally. All products in the Sensitive Skin line are fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, allergy-tested, non-comedogenic and 99% natural. These products can be found at Shopper's Drug Mart and Wal-Mart nationwide. Made in USA.

The soap-free Burt's Bee's Sensitive Facial Cleanser is clinically proven to moisturize sensitive skin while gently cleansing away dirt, oil and makeup without over drying, causing redness or irritation. Also, it contains quillaja, which is extracted from the bark of the soapbark tree and provides a natural foaming lather. In addition, it contains yucca, a desert plant high in saponins, which have traditionally been used in cleansing.

Directions: Wet face and apply cleanser with fingertips or a wet washcloth, massaging gently, and avoiding contact with the eye area. Rinse thoroughly. Pat skin dry. For best results, follow with Sensitive Daily Moisturizing Cream in the morning and Sensitive Night Cream in the evening.

MY THOUGHTS: As a member of BzzAgent (bzzagent.com), I received a free 170 g tube of Burt's Bees Sensitive Facial Cleanser during one of their early 2012 campaigns which regularly retails for $12.99 CAD.

The packaging consists of a matte egg-white tube with a white flip cap making it ideal for gravity fed applications and chemical stability (i.e.photodegradation). Meanwhile, the thick, creamy cleanser has a Gold Bond moisturizer consistency with a faint chemical fragrance that becomes a non-tacky milky texture upon contact with water.

Compared to my preferred facial cream cleansers (i.e. Shiseido, Kanebo), I find I need to dispense at least 10 times the usual amount to adequately cover my face when using a cleansing brush. I imagine it wouldn't take long to empty a tube which may be of importance when considering costs. In addition, because this cleanser is so emollient it (a) mattes the bristles on the cleansing brush, even after rinsing, and (b) renders a daily moisturizer to be superfluous. Fortunately, I didn't find this cleanser to be drying; however, there were some initial breakouts.

It is important to note that this cleanser does not lather in the traditional sense (i.e., foam, bubbles) which is often credited to surfactants like sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). Despite the effectiveness of SLS, when above a certain percentage it can cause irritation in some people with sensitive skin. Instead, Burt's Bees uses emollient surfactants like cetyl alcohol which protect the skin from moisture loss--commonly used in moisturizers and conditioners. Note: cream cleansers are generally recommended for individuals with dry or sensitive skin as it doesn't strip the skin of protective oils leading to dry, irritated skin that gel cleansers often do. Because cream cleansers are so gentle, I would recommend using a makeup remover prior to using this product.

In regards to marketing claims, the terms "fragrance-free," "hypoallergenic," "dermatologist-tested," "allergy-tested," "non-comedogenic" and "99% natural" have no official or government definition, standards or verification. Thus it is not meaningful and can be deceptive. However, the product does brand the Leaping Bunny logo which signifies adherence to standards and verification by an audit once every three years by an independent assessor commissioned by the CCIC.

INGREDIENTS: Aqua (water, eau), Helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, Glycerin, Cetyl alcohol, Cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), Sucrose stearate, Cetearyl alcohol, Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, Gossypium herbaceum (cotton) flower extract, Oryza sativa (rice) extract, Beta vulgaris (beet, extrait de racine de betterave) root extract, Quillaja saponaria bark extract, Theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Yucca schidigera leaf/root/stem extract, Artemisia umbelliformis extract, Euphrasia officinalis extract, Hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, Saccharum officinarum (sugar cane, extrait de canne ŗ sucre) extract, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Silica, Sucrose, Fructose, Glucose, Coco-glucoside, Inositol, Maltodextrin, Citric acid, Benzoic acid, Trehalose, Xanthan gum, Potassium sorbate, Sodium benzoate, CI 77947 (zinc oxide), Alcohol denat., Phenoxyethanol.

MYSELF: I'm an Euro-Canadian with combination and sensitive skin that is prone to clogged pores (Baumann skin type: OSPW). continued >>

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 5:06:00 PM More reviews by alisha_the_kitten

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this for my combination, acne-prone skin. My skin gets flaky and prone to dryness because of the Differin cream that I use, especially in the winter. So, I thought that maybe this cream-based facial cleanser would be helpful.

As others have noted, this leaves a waxy type of film over the skin - most likely due to the beeswax or cocoa butter content. I'm not sure how much it actually even cleanses my skin, though at least it didn't break my skin out (that I know of). It didn't cause any dryness or irritation either.

I managed to use this up, but I wouldn't buy this again. It wasn't worth the money I spent on it, really.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2012 12:47:00 PM More reviews by BreAnn21

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got a full size tube during my BzzAgent campaign for free. This stuff is awful. I really wanted to like it but it doesn't clean anything off your face and takes forever to rinse. I'm not looking for a squeaky clean feeling but atleast one where there isn't a thick film left on your face after rinsing it off. It claims to remove make up - it doesn't.

I will not be buying another one!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2012 8:59:00 AM More reviews by VAmom

Bought this on impulse because B-Bees products are so popular here. Thick product; seems hard to control how much comes out of squeeze tube. The deal breaker for me (why I won't re-purchase) is scent-it smells like PAINT to me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2012 12:38:00 AM More reviews by moggi

I like the Sensitive Night Creme, so I decided to give the cleanser a try. The consistency is thick, more like a creme than a foam or gel. As some other reviewers have noted, when you wash the product off, it leaves a light film on the skin. But it absorbs quickly and doesn't feel greasy. I think it also has a moisturizing effect. I recommend this cleanser for those with dry and sensitive skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2012 5:22:00 PM More reviews by Misskitty923

I dont have overly sensitive skin, but I do have acne prone skin and this product really worked for me. It doesn't cause breakouts and it keeps my skin soft. My only problem is that it doesn't work very well to remove all makeup. Other than that though, this product is great as far as a mild daily cleanser goes.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2012 9:12:00 PM More reviews by Foxy_C

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm a BzzAgent and I got this as part of a BzzCampaign I just joined. I received a full-sized tube of the Burtís Bees Sensitive Facial Cleanser and the Daily Moisturizing Cream. They claim to be 99.0% natural and looking at the ingredients, I agree. The majority of the ingredients are of botanical extracts, with some cocoa butter, aloe, cotton extract, rice extract and other natural ingredients. Only the bottom few ingredients are of colour and maybe some preservatives. I joined this campaign because I sometimes have sensitive skin. I also have eczema on my neck and cheeks. I will be updating this review as time goes by.

First Impression: Packaging is good. The cleanser comes in a squeeze tube, so it's hygenic and stands up straight on your counter. It is of a creamy texture, not too greasy. It's fragrance free. On the face, it's very moisturizing. It is a cream cleanser and I'm used to a gel cleanser as I do have oily skin; however, I'm glad to say that it is not greasy nor does it leave a film on my face after cleansing. It actually cleansed it well and rinsed off well. I love that it didn't leave my face red either! As I mentioned, I have eczema on my face and it didn't irritate it at all. Since using this line, my eczema seems to be getting better :) So far, it's a great cleanser and I plan on using it all up. Prior to receiving this package, I was using Freeman's Refining Pear Cleanser (gel cleanser).

rated 3 of 5 on 3/4/2012 9:44:00 PM More reviews by Calina_Oscura76

I have to start this off with the fact that I received this product through a Bzz campaign...along with the moisturizer from the same line of products for sensitive skin. My thoughts on this skin cleanser? I like the fact that there is barely a detectable odor.. a bonus for those who not only have sensitive skin, but sensitive noses as well. It feels wonderful when you use it.. creamy and soft on the skin but I find it does not remove make up like other cleansers do, so it would be good as a morning cleanser perhaps? Also, it is very hard to adjust how much comes out of the package, I know this seems insignificant, but it is too easy to squeeze out too much, which wastes alot of product.. and for the cost ( I think it is 12.99 CAD) It can be an issue for those on a budget who need to watch how much of a product they use. As for my acne prone skin, I am not sure on that.. I don't "think" its actually causing acne, but cannot be too positive as I am at the hormonal stage of the month so to speak.. But over all, a very gentle, non-irritating cleanser that I imagine would be easily tolerated by most. I have noticed I do not have the dry patches in the usual spots on my face since I started using this.. but it can leave a slight film on the face that I notice even after I dry my skin.. but this film could also be the reason why I don't have those dry patches.. which begs the question... over time, would that "film" cause any problems, i.e acne, cycstic acne, etc.. I probably would not purchase just because of the what ifs.I will update if necessary as I continue to use the product.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/6/2012 1:04:00 AM More reviews by sparkz211

I have pretty sensitive skin and I felt like it didn't clean my face very well and then it made me break out. I am not really a fan. My face never really felt clean after washing. I prefer the L'oreal 360 Clean for Sensitive Skin and it costs half the price of the Burt's Bees.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2012 11:25:00 AM More reviews by cr1000

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Really good if you have really dry or sensitive skin.
Some people have complained that it leaves a film of product that is hard to get off and that is true, but it comes off of my skin when I dry my face with a towel. It feels like a protective layer that is protecting my skin from the elements too, which is great during the harsh winters. It also leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth. I noticed that after the first time I used it.

For people looking for truly green and natural products, look elsewhere. Burt's Bees is not nearly as natural as they would like you to believe.