April 20, 2014 | 1688 users online

Lash Treatments - Rimmel - Lash Accelerator Serum

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2012 2:10:00 PM More reviews by renia22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This serum has a little brush as well as a very thin paint brush, either of which you can use to apply the product. Unfortunately, something in this irritates my eyes and makes them puffy and reddish and I get a slight burning. Yikes! Also, even if that wasn't the case, I hate the way it cakes and crusts. The price was reasonable (under $10). I am now moving on to Larenim; no irritation so far from that one, or crusting.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2012 1:47:00 AM More reviews by SimpleNSexy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

What a waste of money. Yeah it was only ~$8 CAD but come one. Nothing happened after 2 months. I applied it on my browns andd top/lower lashes night and morning. Gonna try either L'Oreal oen Ardell

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2012 10:49:00 PM More reviews by prettydark

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product to help with brow regrowth and I am very happy with its performance. I have, or rather I should say HAD a bald patch on my left eyebrow for 15 years, and it is filled in. Now I am trying to coax them to be a bit longer. I am also trying it on my lashes, after seeing what it's done for my brows.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2012 4:41:00 AM More reviews by mah4angel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I purchased this product not necessarily for the purpose of making my lashes grow longer or thicker (I use Fusion Beauty's lash enhancer to do that), but as a primer for my mascara or a clear mascara to be used alone that had the added benefit of conditioning my lashes during the day (you only use FusionB's serum at night). I used to use Lancome's Cils Booster XL (a very expensive mascara primer) but just couldn't justify that expense, especially when it dries out before it's all used up.
A good mascara primer helps mascara stay on longer, provides extra length and/or volume to the lashes, and protects them from mascara. I believe that this serum/primer fits those criteria.
I read the reviews and people said the serum was easy to wash off, and that most of the problems people had with it was at night, when they would wake up with swollen and sore eyes. Since I didn't intend to use this at night, I wasn't too concerned about that. Some people complained about poor packaging as well, but I find that when I end up trying a product that's been dinged for poor packaging, I feel like people over exaggerate, so I decided to buy it since it's even cheaper than the L'Oreal serum.
So, to everyone who complained about poor packaging, I wish I had listened to you. The wand this stuff comes with is just impossible if you want to run the serum through your lashes, the "comb" is not a freakin' comb, it's a one-inch section of the wand (the wand has an eyeliner-brush-like applicator at the end, which is actually completely decent at applying the serum along the lash line) with shallow little ridges. You might as well just use the brush and paint it on your lashes, because that's about as much definition as you're gonna get with that comb. Using it during the day turns into a clumpy, ugly mess of serum. I decided to use a clean mascara wand to run the serum through my lashes, which was a pain because it didn't fit in the tube. I'd have to remove the brush it came with, set it aside to drip and waste product, etc. I had an almost-empty bottle of the Lash Accelerator mascara that I was basically done with and an idea hatched in my head. I cleaned off the wand from the mascara and it turns out that the mascara wand fits perfectly in the serum's bottle, so I use that to apply it every morning. I took off one lippie for the horrendous design of the wand, but I solved that problem by using the mascara wand instead.
So, performance. I have to say I'm ridiculously surprised at how great this stuff works as a primer and lash enhancer. My lashes are always stronger when I've been using it consistently, but as I mentioned, I don't use it day and night as suggested, so I can't comment on the full impact of the product when used as directed. But, for my purposes, it works amazingly!
I work the serum through my lashes with my recycled mascara wand, and make sure there are no areas where the serum has clumped up. I let it dry while I continue to get ready (big downside, it takes forever to dry). When it's dry, and it needs to be fully dry, curl your eyelashes (the serum holds a curl ridiculously well), and run your mascara through your lashes as much as your want (I use Korres Rice Bran Mascara, as well as Lancome Hypnose Drama-a sample I've had laying around for a while). I like the effect because the serum acts like a lengthening mascara, it creates little fibers that extend your lashes and the mascara accentuates the longer and thicker-looking lashes. It also looks great on its own.
I was standing in the front row at World of Color at California Adventures, and got completely DRENCHED, and my mascara didn't budge at all because of this serum! Plus, I had already been wearing my makeup all day. Even better, I hate how most primers are white, they're supposed to dry clear but usually don't and if you miss a section of your lashes, you walk around with a patch of white. Not fun. This primer is clear, so you can even use it on its own, much less not worry about looking weird because of a missed section of your lashes. Best primer ever.
As an added benefit, because the serum is relatively easy to wash off with a gentle cleanser or eye makeup remover, it makes removing even the toughest mascara you put over top of it even easier, which means less scrubbing, irritating the eyes, and creating fine lines.
Some people say the serum is irritating if you get it in your eyes... Uhm, duh. It's a freakin' serum, it's not meant to go in your eyes, just like mascara isn't meant to go in your eyes (and stings like all hell when it does), so be careful when applying not to let it touch your eye.
Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. I think it's a really great moment when you can replace a really expensive product with a cheaper one that works even better. Who doesn't feel like a genius when they beat the system?
Hope that was helpful! Always remember to take product reviews with a grain of salt. You are unique and beautiful because of it, but different products may work differently on you than on anyone else in the world. Good luck!

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2012 1:53:00 AM More reviews by chinadoll13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I love this!!!! It really strengthened my lashes and made them longer/thicker. My lashes are long already but made them a bit thicker and stronger. I don't mind the peeling of it because I wear it as a treatment to sleep. Another good thing is the price...I highly recommend this product to everyone who wants luscious lashes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2012 5:11:00 AM More reviews by takemenow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am actually quite impressed with this growth serum. Considering the results I've had, I can definitely compare it to Rapid Lash -- for a fraction of the cost!
Now, let me explain. From my experience, Rapid Lash (and this product too) boost the growth cycle of your natural lashes and stimulate/encourage new hairs to grow from the follicle. Each hair follicle on your lash line can have as many as three hairs growing out of it at once, but unfortunately they fall out once their cycle ends and sometimes do not grow back. This is where a boosting serum helps. It allows a new hair to grow in replacement of the old one. Which is why some people may experience eyelash loss when using this product. The serum is encouraging a new lash growth, therefore the old lash will fall out. To some it may be scary, but it is normal. You just have to be patient for it to grow back.
PRODUCT CONS:
Rapid Lash and this product will NOT give you the ridiculously long lashes that Latisse will give you. Latisse is different because it makes your lashes grow more quickly therefore making them grow longer. But, it does have its cons, like hair growth in unwanted areas and darkening of the skin around the eyes and of the iris.
The only cons from this product is the peeling or flaking that other reviews mentioned. To me it's not really a problem since I use this at night time and maybe on days when I go without eye makeup. There is sometimes a bit of a tingly sensation when I apply this but it never lasts long and it isn't uncomfortable in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2012 3:41:00 PM More reviews by DCookiemonster25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Overall I have to say this is great product considering the price. You can get top quality lash serums for hundreds of dollars, so considering that this was UNDER TEN DOLLARS it is well worth it. The only negative is that when it dries it peels, if you put makeup over it, it will show. What I do is I put it on at night and then in the morning I swipe some eye makeup remover over it before I apply my makeup. This seems to fix the ONLY problem that I found with this product (you can also just peel it off easily in the morning). I have short stubby lashes and within just weeks of using this product I noticed a significant sofference in my lashes! They are FULLER and LONGER and others have noticed as well. If you are on a budget like me and cant afford one of the more expensive lash serums, I highly RECOMMEND this!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 8:31:00 AM More reviews by Transgender52

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

WOW! what a difference in my lashes! I have been using this product for 3 weeks now. I have beautiful lashes to begin with, but this product is super. My lashes grew thicker and longer in just three weeks. I don't have to put on mascara to show them off. My eyes are the envy of most women. I have had a lot of compliments on how long and full my lashes are. I work in a wood shop and eye lashes are a must for keeping dust out of my eyes. I will keep on purchasing this product for ever.

Great product I recommend to all ! ! !

Well here i am 40 days later and my eyelashes have doubbeled in lenght and have gotten a lot fuller. I have used half of the bottle. The brush on the end of the applicator allows me to get the inner lashes and the wand does a great job in applying this formula. great product again~

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2012 5:30:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

for now i am putting that yes i would repurchase. i will update this review and the overall rating:
have been using this for 4 days now and i have no complaints. i only use this as a night treatment. the applicator is very useful, barrel for your lashes and a brush tip for your brows. it only gets gloopy if you pile it on, but piling anything on will make it glob up! when you wake up your lashes and brows will be white but washes off easily. i was weary of irritation but there hasnt been an issue. i love the clear tube, makes it easier to see if theres any contamination going on (murkiness). hope it works! my lashes have been shortened and thinned out from lash extensions.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2012 12:21:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

Hard to apply with the applicator, and the formula comes on very thick and goopy. So annoying to have on the eyelashes that I stopped using it after three days, so I can't tell you if it worked. Considering there are better lash serums out there, some for just a couple of bucks more than Rimmel's, I'm not about to try this one again.