April 16, 2014 | 1442 users online

Liquid - Smashbox - Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Fdt.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by cbm618

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with this foundation.

My skin has red undertones, is combination (oily along the cheeks and nose, dry around the mouth), and acne prone. My ideal foundation (which I've yet to find) would give me an even skin tone, not stick to dry patches, not slick right off of oily patches, and give a soft, dewy finish while diminishing the appearance of spots.

So far, this is the closest I've got to that description for a foundation. It's definitely long wearing. It gives me a nice dewy finish without looking oily. I definitely get an even skin tone, but my spots (if they're worse than usual) still show through. I do start with a green primer and concealer, so that helps give me that nice even look. I usually use a dense stippling brush and work in sections. Very nice application with that method. No noticeable smell.

My only complaint is that it can stick to dry patches and, during the summer, gets very shiny all over. Now, I admit, I can control the dry patches by being better about exfoliating, but the shiny isn't so good. I hate blotting or adding powder as my skin gets weird after (and that's with all foundations, not just this one). So, I don't blot or powder. And then I'm left with an oil slick. But, at least it stays where I put it!

Overall, it's a lot better than Revlon Colorstay (my previous HG), but as with most junkies I'm always looking for the next best thing. I'll repurchase if I can't find anything better at a reasonable price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by dbmiller

I really like this. I don't know why it's such a difficult concept for drugstore foundations to make a long-wearing formula that doesn't cake and dry your skin out, but I haven't had any luck with this except for high-end foundations. Good coverage, lasts a long time, allows touch-ups, has SPF and a pump! I got 2.2 and it works well for my NC25-NC30 skintone.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by Lms526

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Yesterday, I had some time before work and went into Sephora to repurchase my Makeup Forever Mat Velvet, because I didn't want to run out. The SA who checked me out, asked if she could get me a sample of anything. I asked for a sample of this. According to my Color IQ number (1Y07) I was matched to shade 2.2, so that's the one I requested a sample of.

To be honest, there isn't a whole lot I liked about this foundation.

COLOR: The color was good in terms of not being too light or too dark. But I think this foundation is definitely geared towards people with yellowish undertones. My skin is light-medium with cool undertones. As a result, this foundation looked very yellow on me.

COVERAGE: Other reviewers have stated this is a medium to full coverage foundation. I don't agree. In my opinion, this gives light to barely medium coverage. Definitely not as good as my Makeup Forever Mat Velvet. I also found this foundation extremely difficult to blend. I like fast drying foundations, but this one dries almost as soon as it touches your skin. No matter how much I tried to blend it, it never really cooperated. It basically just sat on the surface of my skin. Due to a genetic disease, I have alot of redness and small bumps on my face, which make me very self-conscious. This foundation did almost nothing to cover the redness, and emphasized every bump on my face. Definitely not the look I was hoping for.

BUILDABLE: In my humble opinion, this foundation is not AT ALL buildable. One layer doesn't cover much of anything, but attempting to use any more than that makes it look heavy, cakey, and very unnatural. It took me 3x as long as normal to apply my makeup. And I absolutely hated the results when I was done. There was no way I was gong to work looking that way. So I removed it and reapplied my Mat Velvet. In my opinion, the Mat Velvet is superior in regards to coverage, looking natural, and buildability. I can't realy say if it stays on 15 hours or not, because I didn't leave it on for more than about 10 minutes. I would recommend this foundation to people with yellowish skin tones and no major flaws. But if you have any type of scars, bumps, or fine lines, I wouldn't recommend this foundation.

I'm glad I only got a sample of this rather than splurging on a full-size bottle off the bat. I'm glad I tried it, but I won't be purchasing a full-sized bottle, and intend to stick with the Mat Velvet.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by briella86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been searching for a liquid foundation for my oily skin. I thought that this would be it after reading reviews but I will be returning my bottle. It caked up and looked like a mess after a few hours. While it did great at keeping the oil at bay it just looked so unnatural. I tried applying with a beauty blender as well as fingers, both turned into a mask. I really wanted to love this. Oh well.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/7/2013 11:48:00 PM More reviews by varamos0193

I really really wanted to like this product but it just wouldn't dry. I even put setting powder on top and 4 hrs later I accidently (barely) touched my cheek when I was fixing my mascara and it smeared off. ive NEVER had this issue with even my drugstore back ups. also, I put about 1-2 pumps for my entire face and still felt heavy and wet on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2013 3:04:00 PM More reviews by dawny1980

this is my hd foundation. i am really pale and use 1.1 which is the perfect match for me. after years of searching for the perfect foundation i found this and will never change brands again. it is slighty expensive but if you order sirect from smashbox you usually get a decent sized free sample of another product and you only need to use a little so it really is better value than you would first think. one pump is all you need for a medium coverage. it blends well and covers pores and impurities well and also does not break me out. it evens out my combimation skin and looks amazing all day. it goes on velvety smooth and you need very little for good coverage. i use this with smashbox photo finish primer and set it with a light dusting of mac mineralise natural powder in light. can't say enough good things about this foundation, it is superb.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2013 11:45:00 PM More reviews by why1981

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am an African American woman. I am super oily! I was looking for a transfer resistant foundation and came across this product. Not only is it transfer resistant but it also mattes my skin! Amaaaaazing! Now I can touch my face again without getting spots all over everything.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2013 4:05:00 AM More reviews by sparklezandbutterflies

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my go-to foundation now everyday all seasons any weather. It covers pretty well, Medium coverage but beautifully layers to a full coverage finish without looking too cakey or too thick. Sets nicely with or without powder, I tend to only powder it in summer or when i know that i will be wearing makeup for an extended period of time (over 10 hours). Rarely do I need to retouch it, tissue blotting does the trick. It photographs beautifully without any white casts even with flash.

I use the Photofinish Light Primer under and mix shades 2.4 and 3.4 (both have strong golden tones) to get my exact shade which is between MAC Nc 40-43. When I do powder it I use the Kryolan anti-shine powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2013 10:48:00 PM More reviews by Iheartbronzer

I am a former Sephora employee and I have tried EVERYTHING. This has been my fav for over a year because of its coverage, natural finish and perfect amount of hydration.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

This foundation is amazing. I am a huge foundation junkie but I have really dehydrated, flaky oily skin and finding something that doesn't make me too oily but keeps my dry patches soothed is definitely a challenge and I have only found 2 foundations that truly do that. This foundation and the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation though this is definitely my favourite of the two. Smashbox released this foundation about 2 years ago which was when I bought it for the first time and I was just in love with it. I didn't purchase a second bottle until recently and I am in love all over again. This foundation does everything that I hoped that the Laura Mercier silk creme foundation would do when I bought it back in July or June and returned it. It is a thicker liquid, almost like a cream, provides medium to full coverage, doesn't feel cakey or mask-like, blurs flaws and looks airbrushed without the airbrush. The shade that I use is 1.1 (lightest shade) and I don't really find the shade selection to be all that thrilling- I wish that they had lighter shades since 1.1 is pushing it a bit for me. However, they are one of the few lines that makes pale foundations that have yellow undertones and I am pale and have yellow undertones. I wouldn't say that this foundation is hydrating in the sense that your skin is going to feel plump and moisturized with it on but it keeps my flakes noticeably under control. A massive problem that I have with foundations is that a few hours after applying them, the foundation starts to gravitate towards me dry patches and really clings to them but this stuff stays put. Also, to get the hydrating properties from this foundation, I do not have to sacrifice wear time- this gives me a natural matte finish for literally the entire day and I don't set me foundation with powder. My only negatives with this foundation is that the first time I purchased a bottle of this foundation it was going in to summer so I had to put away my bottle for the summer since the shade was too light and when I went to go use it again, it was really gloppy and had really changed in the bottle so I had to toss it so you kind of need to use the bottle in one go and then the shade selection being so minimal. Otherwise this is definitely my HG foundation and I think for the time being, I'll be done with foundation reviews because I really have found something that ticks all of my boxes and then some. For the sake of the changed texture over time, I rate this foundation 4/5 but for my personal feelings, I would rate it 5/5.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No