July 25, 2014 | 1882 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2013 10:05:00 PM More reviews by Cindi33

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love love love these brushes! I picked these up after reading rave reviews on beauty blogs and so when I saw these in Ulta and I had a 20% store coupon, I was excited to give these brushes a try. I was already familiar with Samantha as she and her sister are professional make up artists and post tutorials on YouTube. I brought these home and went online to see some tutorials from RealTechniques and then put the brushes away. My first thoughts were that the brushes were too big and too fluffy and there was no way I was going to be able to get the crease shadow in the crease only or do a small outer v and was hesitant to try them right away. The next morning before work, I pulled these out to do my daily makeup routine and grabbed my Naked Basics palette as I thought it safest to stick with a basic natural tried and true eye, but then in using these brushes I discovered they worked much better than what I had been using. The shadow picked up better and applied easier and blending was effortless. In fact, blending wasn't really necessary the way the shadows applied. I have been using this set for two weeks now and I am really impressed. It came packaged in a cute carrying case/stand, but I took them out of that and store them in my makeup drawer with the other brushes, so I can't say how the case or stand feature performs These are bargain priced at less than $20 a set. Good quality professional brushes, bargain price. Win. Win.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by MacPops

I'm not sure I will use the eyeliner brush. Other than that...wow. These brushes are great. And I'm a brush snob. I probably cut my eye makeup application time by a third. That's how nicely these brushes apply and blend color. I chose this set because I wanted a brow brush and a brush in the style of the accent brush. I ended up really liking the rest, save the eyeliner brush which I haven't tried yet. I gave only 4 lippies because I would prefer a longer handle. The case also has a spot for a face brush. These brushes are totally worth the money. Do a better job than many of the higher-end brushes I own.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2013 7:47:00 PM More reviews by SiteNo8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this set and the travel set at Walmart. These are very good brushes for a great price. The set includes 5 brushes, as well as a case. Each brush is labeled as to its intended use: a Base Shadow Brush, a Deluxe Crease Brush, an Accent Brush, a Pixel Point Eyeliner Brush, and a Brow Brush. One case fits both of the sets that I bought, plus two EcoTools brushes (total 10 brushes).
The brushes are dense and the bristles are soft. They are a pleasure to use. My most frequently used brushes from this set are the Deluxe Crease Brush (I use for blending), the Base Shadow Brush, and the Brow Brush (I use with eyeshadow as an eyeliner).
I haven't tried the eyeliner brush yet, as I don't often use liquid or gel liners.
I would have liked the option of buying the brushes individually. I have 2 cases, one of which I don't use, and, as I said, I haven't used the eyeliner brush. I don't know if this is due to the company or the store. Either way, it loses a lippy.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2013 9:28:00 PM More reviews by TheDragonsVanity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The stars of this set are the Panoramic Brush Case, the Deluxe Crease Brush, and the Base Shadow Brush.

The Panoramic case makes it easy to store all my eye brushes and it is excellent for hanging my brushes upside down to dry after I've deep-cleaned them.

Though the Deluxe Crease Brush is sold in this eye kit, Sam (the woman behind Real Techniques) often uses this to blend concealer under her eyes and around her nose in her videos. I completely understand why- the size is perfect for those tight contours on the face, and the shape of the brush perfectly blends the product into the skin, whether you're using your foundation (liquid or powder) as concealer or an actual concealer. Again, its super soft so it won't irritate sensitive skin like Rosacea or acne/blemishes.

The Base Shadow Brush is the best crease brush I've ever used! Its somewhat pinched at the ferrule making it flatter instead of round, and the bristles are tapered to a point at the end. With this design you can pick up product with just the tip of the brush and place it in the socket/crease of your eye. As you rock the brush back and forth, the longer bristles place the color as the shorter bristles blend the color out. Because the brush is pretty fluffly, you can also use it to put a light wash of color all over the lid. As with all the Real Techniques brushes, the synthetic bristles are unbelievably soft on that delicate eye skin.

The detailer brush is the perfect size to highlight the tear duct or blend out eye liner. The angled brush is good for placing powder in the eye brows or for lining with gels/creams and eye shadows. I would have kept the detailer and angle brush if I didn't already have the Revlon Double-Ended Smokey Eye Brush, which is basically those two Real Techniques brushes stuck together, so I gave those to my friend.

I prefer smaller, bent eye liner brushes so I gave the eye liner brush in this kit to my friend as well.

All Real Techniques brushes are very easy to clean and dry quickly. None of the Real Techniques brushes I have have ever shed on me, nor are any of them stained from continued use of colored products.

I have 3 downsides to Real Techniques brushes:

1) If you use alcohol or an alcohol-based cleaner to spot-clean clean your synthetic brushes, be sure to keep it away from the rubbery/soft coating on the black handle- it will melt the coating off. It doesn't ruin the brush, but you will be left with a black, shiny plastic handle with harsh edges (this happened to my Expert Face Brush).

2) The aluminum ferrule will dent relatively easily compared to steel ferrules of other brushes. Do NOT knock the brush on the side of your sink to shake the excess water out after you've washed any of your Real Techniques brushes- it will dent the crap out of it. Don't ask me how I know. ~sigh~

3). The brushes that come in sets are NOT also sold separately. So for example if you want the Deluxe Crease Brush, you have to buy the Starter Set to get it. This is the only reason the set gets 4 lippies instead of 5.

Overall Real Techniques brushes are high quality, ultra-soft brushes at a great price point. They make up the majority of my makeup brush collection and I would recommend them to anyone.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2013 5:20:00 PM More reviews by ammit1984

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm not saying these brushes are bad, they're really not, but I don't really find this the best set of eye brushes ever.

The laydown brush is the best one for me, and that isn't like "the best" I've ever used or anything, it just suits my eyes the best as they are small and hooded.
The crease brush for me is close to useless for my eyes (but awesome for concealer and things because its' so densely packed) - my eyes as I've said are hooded and this brush is just huge...it doesn't really do anything for me except ruin my look to be honest. I will re-use it for concealer though.

The slanted brow brush I find no good at all for precision powder application... useless for that - too big and thick.
The liner brush is ok but it kinda looks like a childs paintbrush... not the best I've ever used at all. Too long and flimsy.

The little detail brush is ok too, but nothing amazing.... I'm very meh about these brushes really, I find that Samatha Chapmans eye brushes are so lacking, almost like they've been really ill thought out.

They are ok and all, but I'm just not that impressed personally. I like that they are cruelty free but they don't help me put eyeshadow on better. The brushes themselves look kind of cheap to be honest. I'm on the fence really, for some people they'd be great - just give them a look over first, if you've got a bigger eyelid then me then I think you'd like them. I just don't because I find them to be bad for small lids.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 6:23:00 AM More reviews by itsEmmaTime

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm not going to lie.. I bought these mainly for the deluxe crease brush to use with concealer! And I'm so glad I did!
The deluxe crease brush is a bit too big for me to use in the crease so it is primarily used for concealer and it gives great coverage and finish.
The base shadow brush is just lovely. I use it for either a wash of colour or for highlighting under the brow, I have even used it in the crease and it's amazing for all.
The pixel point eyeliner, for me, is the downfall for this set. The brush is huge! I won't be using it for eyeliner but I'd love to find a use for it!
The accent brush is pretty nice, it's a great size for highlighting the inner corner and for applying eyeshadow on the lower lashline.
I rarely use the brow brush, it's somewhat big. I have used it for the lower lashline and it's quite nice.
I bought these on iHerb and saved myself about €10 so that just makes these brushes even better lol
The quality of these brushes is just fantastic and I would definitely buy the set again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2013 10:45:00 PM More reviews by joshquinto

Love them especially the angled brush for my eyebrows.. Price is unabelievable

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2013 3:58:00 PM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Every now and then, I get the urge to haul certain makeup items. I got a lemming for some new brushes, but didn't feel like spending an arm and a leg. These are a great bang for your buck. A majority of my makeup brushes are MAC, and when compared to these, I can most definitely feel the quality difference...but that is not to say that these are "bad" or "cheap" brushes. I like how these are synthetic and can be used for both powder and cream products. For the price, they are soft and well made. They wash very well and dry quickly. If you're just starting a brush collection, or just want to expand your HE stash with new pretties, these are a great buy.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 4:02:00 AM More reviews by Jujulaboo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

These brushes are of the highest quality I've ever come across. They are the perfect amount of stiffness and are very consistent in quality. Basically, all the brushes feel like I'm rubbing puppies on my face. They are synthetic the price is $18.00 in the US (On website.) The Base Shadow Brush is very similar to the MAC 217, though u feel it's of higher quality. It's very versatile. You can use it to apply color to your lid, you can you it to apply a crease color, and can use it to blend shadow. I've also used for concealer and it works well. The Deluxe Crease Brush is great for blending in concealer! I also use it to blend eyeshadow. The Accent Brush can be used for detailing on the eye, inner corner highlight, lip brush, and for concealer. The Pixel-Point Eyeliner Brush is nice if I want a smokey liner, but I love doing very precise cat eye looks, so this brush doesn't get much use from me personally. The Brow Brush is the brush I use the least in the set because I like a very thin line at the end of my brow. This brush can't make the look because it is quite thick. Overall, I think these are the best brushes money can buy! HIGHLY RECOMMEND! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 5:41:00 AM More reviews by lndtng

I don't think everyone will, but I use all the brushes daily. I think they're great at doing what they're meant to do. I've heard quite a few people saying the eyeliner brush is very large, but I've tried it and I think it works great for eyeliner. Go real techniques!