Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

4.4

Synthetic Taklon

I can't get enough of these brushes I LOVE THEM!!

on 5/2/2014 6:06:00 PM

The packaging is cute especially the little stand for the brushes! The brushes are really soft~

on 4/29/2014 5:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Awesome!
After reading and hearing a lot about those real techniques brushes i decided to give it a try, once i only had 2 MAC holiday brush sets (the stroke of midnight ones) and one flat foundation brush.
I must say it positively surprised me, the brushes are so soft, very easy to clean (i use MAC brush cleanser).
I cant tell if they shed with time or not because i only have them for like... a month, but the quality is very good, and the price is very very very good.
The only thing that i didnt like in this set was the brow brush.
Is too thick and the bristles too hard for a brow brush, the result on the brow is not so natural with them, i feel like as the brush is thicker, the product that you use (like powder shadow for the brows) doesnt penetrate in the brow the way they should.
So i much prefere the MAC one that i have. Softer and slim.
I didnt tested it for gel eyeliner, but i have the impression that its not good for it too, too thick.
Even with this con, i would buy this again.

on 4/22/2014 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I was never really picky about brushes; I just used the ones that come with palettes (Urban Decay Naked 2&3) or in kits (Bare Minerals) except for a small brush set I bought when I sold Mary Kay that was actually pretty decent. I bought the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush to apply liquid foundation and LOVED IT so I decided to upgrade my eye shadow brush collection as well.

This is a marvelous basic collection, in varying sizes that will help you accomplish all but the most complicated of eye looks. The quality is excellent and the brushes are soft and apply smoothly. I've washed mine a few times with no shedding or breakage.

Be careful, these brushes are a gateway drug! Because of my new found appreciation for high quality brushes I've now purchased a set of Coastal Scents, Sigma, and even a few Mac brushes!

The only thing I didn't care for was the little holder it comes in; not sure why that was added unless that's a thing for some people. I could use it for travel but I think I'd buy a holder specifically made for a larger collection instead. Doesn't take away from the quality of the brushes, I think it was just unnecessary. Would definitely recommend.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Excellent and very affordable brushes. These brushes make my eye makeup flawless. They're incredibly easy to clean. All you have to do is use Johnson's baby shampoo. I've had my set for 2 years and they're still like brand new. They NEVER shed. The set even comes with a little case that can turn into a stand.

on 4/13/2014 1:39:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Excellent brushes.

on 3/18/2014 7:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This set is worth it just for the base shadow brush. I'm not going to say its a mac 217 dupe because it isnt, but it it the same shape as the 217 but the bristles are synthetic, softer and fluffier so it gives a different effect. I like to use the base shadow brush to apply my highlight, transition and eyelid shade and then ill take the mac 217 and do my crease and blend everything out. The slanted brush in this kit is great for eyebrows. The delux crease brush is oversized and i havent really found a use for it, I'm trialling it with my transition colour but i have small eyes and its hard to be accurate with it. The other brushes in the set i havent really used but its nice to have them incase i want to play around. I bought them from iherb rather than paying double in priceline in australia

on 3/17/2014 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Absolutely SPECTACULAR brush set! Best I've ever used!
First off, I'm quite selective when it comes to what brushes I use on my eyes. I rarely use powder shadow - usually only cream, so I find applying and blending with my fingers to be much easier. That being said, these brushes are fantastic for uses other than on the eyes!
The Deluxe Crease Brush is my go-to for blending my under eye concealer. It's perfect for that! The Base Shadow Brush is excellent for applying highlighting powders atop my cheekbones and under my brows. The Brow Brush is great for softening the look of harshly defined brows (which is perfect when going for a 90's grunge look with large brows). The Fine Liner Brush is amazing for applying lipstick. Seriously, just try it.
The case in which these brushes come is amazing too. I love how it doubles as a stand, which also makes drying them post-cleaning much easier as well.
These brushes are soft, dense, and truly well-made. I've already got the Expert Face Brush, which I adore, and now after purchasing and using this starter kit, I'm thinking of going out and grabbing more RT tools.
Bravo, Ms. Chapman!!

on 3/5/2014 7:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

For the sake of readability, I'll break down my review into my thoughts on the individual brushes:

Deluxe Crease Brush:
There is no way this could ever fit into my crease due to the size (Asian, hooded eyes) but for buffing in concealer under the eyes, it is perfect. Round, dense and fluffy; it is great for sheering out sections of coverage or concealing over larger areas.

Base Shadow Brush:
A good all purpose eye shadow brush that I use to blend and to thinly apply colour. To be honest, I don't think it has dense enough bristles to properly pack on colour.

Accent Brush:
A tiny tiny brush but very useful for smudging shadows on the lash line or to soften the look of gel liner and other more precise applications.

Pixel Point Eyeliner Brush:
I'm a little confused as to why it's called 'pixel point' considering the actual brush is not fine enough for precise lines. However, I still use it everyday for gel liner when I need a quick swipe with no fancy flick. This brush could also be used for pin point concealing.

Brow Brush:
I don't use powder for brows so I can't comment on how this fares for that particular use. However, I do find it useful for pushing a darker eyeshadow colour along my upper lash line to get some subtle definition without resorting to eyeliner.

As with most Real Techniques brushes (with the exception of the LE Duo Fiber collection which I disliked), the quality is excellent and I have experienced no colour leaching or shedding.

Everything you need in a makeup brush- and more. I have owned brushes from every walk of the aisle! These are the most luxe, dense, precise brushes I've ever had the pleasure of using.
My other brushes (Estee Lauder, EcoTools, Stila, Coastal Scents, Mark, WNW, etc., etc.) have all since taken a back seat to these. Not to say all those brushes are bad- it's just these are SO MUCH BETTER. You can tell just by the feel.
And the PURPOSE OF THE BRUSH IS PRINTED ON THEM! No guessing. So awesome.

Popular Makeup Brushes