December 22, 2014 | 1332 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2014 1:58:00 AM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

I got these makeup brushes as a gift for Christmas and here are my thoughts on them:

Deluxe Crease Brush: I actually use this brush to pack on shadow, not as a crease brush- I find it a bit too large to use in my crease for my hooded eyes and it is very dense so I find that it packs the pigment on to my eyes beautifully as a 'shader' brush. Provides a nice, fairly even wash of colour all over my lid. As is intended: 2/5, As I like to use it: 4/5

Base Shadow Brush: And this is the brush that I like to use to put shadow my crease! This brush is definitely a lot less dense than the crease brush. I prefer to use this as a crease brush instead of a base shadow brush because it is unable to pick up a lot of pigment due to its lack of density but fits perfectly in to my crease, is the perfect shape to create a cat eye or a rounded eye and you can turn it to make the crease shadow thinner near the inner portion of your eye and thicker near the outer portion. I also like it as a crease brush because it's lack of density makes it so that the outermost bristles blend out the eyeshadow as you go along since unfortunately, the set didn't come with a blending brush. As is intended: 3/5, As I like to use it: 5/5

Accent Brush: Unfortunately I find this brush a little useless. It is way too firm and just disrupts your eyeshadows and doesn't really work for anything but an inner corner highlighting brush or a brush to line your lower lash line with. If the brush wasn't so firm, I could see a lot of great potential for this brush but I'm not really a fan of it as it is. 2/5

Liner Brush: This is my least favourite of the bunch. I hate it with a burning passion. I have no idea why it is called the 'pixel-point eyeliner brush' because this thing does not come to a precise point. At all. Any time I use this to apply gel liner, I cannot get close enough to my lashes and the line is always way too thick because the tip of the brush doesn't taper enough. This one is either going in the garbage or going to someone who is brave enough to try it. 1/5, would give it a negative if I could.

Brow Brush: Again, a brush that I do not enjoy for its intended purpose but that I enjoy nonetheless! This brush I think comes down to personal preference because I prefer a brow brush that is firmer and is a bit more controlled where I feel this one is not. How I love to use it is to line my lower lash line with some eyeshadow while doing a smokey eye look, it is perfect for that. As is intended: 3/5, As I like to use it: 4/5.

Total: ~3/5

The brushes are all definitely very soft and don't irritate my eyes which is a huge problem that I have with other brushes. You can definitely tell that they are made well- they do not shed at all, they are very light to hold, they are super soft as I said before and they look very professional. One thing which amazes me about these brushes both for the eyes and the face is that they dry in record time. I can deep clean these eye brushes and they will be completely dry within an hour to a half hour so super convenient if you live a busier lifestyle and are working with a limited brush selection. If I were to go in and tweak a few things about this brush set, I would make the accent brush ever so slightly denser and less firm, get rid of the liner brush and replace it with a blending brush which I believe is more important to the collection. In terms of value for money, I think this is awesome value for money- you get 5 brushes and a case for $18- that is a really though price to beat, especially for the quality. Even though I feel the accent brush and liner brush are duds, the accent brush is still useable and even though the liner brush stinks, if I throw it out the brushes come to $4.50 a piece which is still a phenomenal price for the quality you're getting. I do believe that these are decent makeup brushes- not the best in the while wide world but these are a total win for anyone who is starting makeup and wants good, reliable brushes at a reasonable price.

Also, very mature of people to mark my in-depth review as 'unhelpful' because you don't agree with my subjective opinion :)

10 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2013 11:56:00 AM More reviews by GreatReviews

I got this brush set as I was starting out on eye makeup and I wanted something cheap yet high quality. It's really good! I'm so glad I got this. I use the deluxe crease brush for concealer and it does a wonderful job of that! Does the job quickly, which I love! The other brushes are great too, I'd say get this if you're a beginner like me and don't have much eye or concealer brushes! It goes excellent with both! ;)

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2013 9:18:00 PM More reviews by alexandra0107

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I like some of the brushes in this but I find some pretty useless. The names are all wrong too. I use the bigger dome for concealer and it works really well, I then use the smaller dome for crease work. I force myself to use the other three, even though I don't need to. I use the long eyeliner one to apply my MAC nylon eyeshadow as a highlighter into the inner corners of my eyes and then use the small shader brush under my eye to blend shadows and liners. Really struggling on how to use the brow brush so I just use it when I want to have a warm brow (I use a mac 266 brush to apply burn eyeshadow to my brows then this brush just to add Swiss chocolate when I want to warm them up). Worth the money though, so cheap.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2013 2:43:00 PM More reviews by evapop

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Would I buy this again - YES! In fact, I did and I use both sets every day. I recommend them to everyone. It used to be that I recommended ELF studio to beginners and Sigma to the more advanced - now I recommend this set to everyone. With some Sigma thrown in as well for the true junkies.

PROS:
- great value
- work well
- super versatile
- purple - which I love
- easy to clean and maintain
CONS:
- I dinged one lippie for fact you cannot buy separately and for fact that not every brush is needed/equal

Now, given the pros and cons - the real key to this set is that you cannot limit yourself to using them as they are listed on the package. They almost are all multi-taskers - hence the 2nd set bought. Listed from my most to least used brushes, this is how I use them.

Deluxe crease brush - My HG brush for concealer and for the crease. I have large, slightly deep set eyes. That means a lot of surface area, a deep crease and undereye circles. I use the one in my crease everyday for a wash of color. I use the other with my undereye concealer and it blends and buffs the concealer in - leaving an amazing, skin like look. I have the Sigma P80 and this blows that out of the water. Its soft enough for undereye, small enough to get into every corner, yet firm enough to buff and stipple.

Base shadow brush - Great for packing on color and for doing more detailed crease work. Its tapered on end and slightly flat. I have both in rotation - one for lighter colors and one for darker

Pixel point liner brush - This brush is rubbish for gel liners as its too fat, but does work nicely for creating a soft line with shadow above and below the line. I use one of my two for this. What I really love to use this for though is as a tool. If I get mascara on my skin, this wicks it away without disturbing my makeup. If my lash comb is clumped up, this helps clean it out.

Accent brush - I could live without this, but as its included, I do use it for inner corner work - but I feel you could use the liner brush for this as well.

Brow brush - I cannot really comment on this as I don't do anything with my brows other than get them threaded, then use a wax pencil and brush them into place. But as most women do use some kind of gel or powder - my guess is this would work out ok

Case - whateves - its like a gift with purchase

In an ideal world, these would be sold separately, but given the price and quality - it still is a great deal and a good product. Enjoy!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2013 6:33:00 PM More reviews by igotalittledevil

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

the brush is as good as everybody said.first come to me,the fur a bit too hard for me,but this negative feeling gone immediately after my first trying!the base brush already make the look so natural,powder separated all in right places with misty edge!i use all of them everyday now,will definitely buy again

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2013 5:26:00 PM More reviews by Madiann

I have the starter set those are perfect. I told myself I would hold off till I saw them on sale but alas, I couldn't I broke down and grabbed them.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2013 4:28:00 PM More reviews by catnip777

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my step up from ELF studio eye brushes, which are not bad for the money.
From this set, I use 2 of the brushes regularly- the base shadow and crease brushes. I actually like to use the base shadow brush to blend and the other to pat shadow on. I wish I could buy these individually as I really like how they perform. I also like the accent brush as well. It's great for getting just a touch of color exactly where you want it.
The brow brush works well. I have not really used the liner brush, but it seems of fine quality. I believe this set is a good value.

I'm not keen on the case as it is not a fully covered case. To me, as a casual makeup user, it is more of a hassle to use and carry around. I'll just put the brushes in my makeup case.

I've had this set for about 5 months and I wash them weekly, if not more. They have held up perfectly. I would definitely buy duplicates of some of the shadow brushes-just wish I could purchase them individually.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2013 4:08:00 PM More reviews by anonyym

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Pros:
- the packaging is awesome (there's a little back you can carry your brushes in)
- the quality of the brushes

cons:
- none

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2013 7:01:00 AM More reviews by Elena1981

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Deluxe Crease Brush is one of my favourite in the set because I don't even have to think how to blend eye shadows, as the brush does the contouring by itself. I find it perfect for a quick every day make up as it requires minimum efforts and time. Besides it is very soft and pleasant to the skin.
Accent brush- my 2nd favourite in the set, it is very dense with a perfect shape. It helps to be very precise when darkening outer corner of the eye. I find it also good for smudging an eye pencil.
Base Shadow Brush- a good quality brush, it does what it has to do, the application is very smooth. Probably it might be also good as a concealer brush.
Eyeliner Brush- in spite of its name, I never apply eyeliner with it, as I prefer a thinner eyeliner brush for a fine application BUT it is perfect for applying black eye shadows instead of the eyeliner, the make up looks softer, perfect for every day wear.
Brow Brush- it is good that nowadays the thick eyebrows are in fashion :) Inspite I have a thinner eyebrow brush, mostly I still use Real Techniques one as it helps to define eyebrows quicker and it gives a good definition.
Brush Case- a good idea about the stand but what I don't like is that the brushes are not covered from all the sides, I hate the idea that they may go in contact with dust when they are supposed to be protected in the case. The size of it is good only for eye make up brushes and too small for foundation brush, blush brush, etc. If it was a bit bigger it would be better.
Good quality. Worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2013 3:01:00 PM More reviews by gildoush22