August 1, 2014 | 1291 users online

Shampoo - Shea Moisture - Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo

rated 2 of 5 on 5/15/2013 9:22:00 PM More reviews by gill2292

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I have naturally dry loose curls that are very damaged. Before using this shampoo, things had been looking up for my hair; however, within 2 weeks of regular use, this had my hair so dried out that it was forming huge tangles just going about my day! The driest part of my hair is now significantly shorter than the rest because my ends just BROKE OFF. Like 4 inches!!
The first few times I used it, my hair looked great. I don't know what happened! It's not the worst shampoo I've ever used, but it's in the top 3. Only gets 2 stars because it's natural and lathers very well for a product without artificial lather-enhancing, cancer-causing chemicals.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2013 11:58:00 PM More reviews by Squeezeweasel

I am half-Chinese, half-Caucasian, and my hair is strong, it's long (small of back), it's not very porous, and it's coloured because of grey. It's thick and has a slight wave, but is easy enough to blow-dry straight. (It needs heat when it dries or it goes puffy.)

This is not the first non-sulfate shampoo I've tried, but it's the one I keep coming back to. It's got a lovely, perfumey smell which is very subtle but does stick around; my husband comments on how much he likes it. It leaves my hair soft, very shiny, and doesn't leave it feeling stripped; it's also been good for not removing my colour. I use a more clarifying shampoo about once a week, because I do feel it leaves some buildup, but it's manageable. With a good conditioner and a bit of coconut oil combed through when damp, this leaves my hair very easy to dry straight, with absolutely zero frizz and a great shine.

I like this stuff enough that I find myself stocking up on several bottles whenever I visit the United States (I live in the UK, where it's hard to find). Can't say fairer than that!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2013 12:03:00 PM More reviews by miodd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff! To start with I have been using it exclusively for two years and have fine, slightly wavy hair and a pixie cut. I bought it after coloring my hair for the first time, because after going through a bottle of regular shampoo "for colored hair" that washed my color out, I wanted something natural that wouldn't strip my color (not to mention if the suds I was putting in my hair was taking out a permanent color, what else was/could it do to me?).

PROS:
- It doesn't lather very much, which is good because what makes lather is bad for you and strips your hair.
- Does not strip my color.
- Has lots of natural oils to keep my hair soft.
- I only need a little as I have fine hair in a pixie cut, so for the price this lasts a while.
- I have not noticed any buildup despite using only this for two years.

CONS:
- Sometimes this shampoo can be drying, for some odd reason. So I will just Aussie 3 Minute Miracle after washing and I am fine.
- The smell is sweet, kind of like baked goods...which I can't say I am a fan off, but I have gotten used to it. But it never bothered me or felt as strong as some of the other reviewers noticed.

Would I buy this again? Yes! It has been my HG for two years and I see no reason to change.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/18/2013 11:32:00 AM More reviews by myrasays

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have a weird situation going on with my scalp where regular shampoos make it itch severely.
I'm working on figuring that out, but I've been using this for about 6 months with no itch or flakes!
My needs are different than most but here are the pros:

-The smell lingers in your hair (I like that and the smell, guys tend to notice it and love it!)
-No itchy scalp, no flakes (makes me happy)
-Organic, no sulfates or parabens (hooray!)

Cons:
-Leaves waxy build up with time (I use a clarifying shampoo or baking soda/water mixture prob about once a week to counteract that).
-The lather is weak; if you have thick hair that can be a nightmare to work into your scalp. (ugh)
-Oily scalps like myself will DEFINITELY need to lather 2x
-Not that moisturizing, hair is a lil dry/frizzy =(
-For a small bottle, it's a little pricey @ $9.99 w/o taxes (local Walgreens where I find it) considering how much I use.

While there are more cons, I am limited to things that don't make me suffer. Overall I like the product for that reason, but if waxy build up is something you just can't handle, not for you! I hope this helps =)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/14/2013 9:33:00 PM More reviews by tycho12

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Even though my hair is wavy and dry, washing with this shampoo makes it feel dirty very quickly. I usually can get second day hair, but not with this. My scalp feels oily.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2013 11:34:00 PM More reviews by squirrelyolk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This shampoo gave me tumble weed hair. Imagine washing your hair with laundry detergent. It's kind of like that.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/2/2013 12:00:00 PM More reviews by Calidmv83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm African American with very kinky natural 4b/4c hair. I purchased this shampoo because I was looking for an inexpensive natural sulfate free shampoo that was moisturizing. I currently use a sulfate free shampoo called Cream of Nature Argan Oil Moisture and Shine Shampoo which I really like however I'm not thrilled about the unnatural ingredients so I wanted to experiment with other shampoos. I love the ingredients in this shampoo and it was fairly moisturizing however it is really thick and my scalp did not feel clean enough. There is also something about the smell that I absolutely hate, it is very strong and sweet and it lingers in your hair. After a while the smell makes my head and my stomach hurt. I would say this shampoo is ok but the smell was a deal breaker for me. I know a lot of people that swear by Shea Moisture products though.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2013 3:59:00 AM More reviews by jtmonian

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I First used this shampoo I did not like it. My hair was dry, brittle, matted, tangled and angry and this product was to classy for the mess. I threw it in the closet, and began my hair journey on Sept 09,2012. After many deep conditioners, oil treatments, cowashing, LOC, triming ends, henna and amla treatments my hair changed for the better, and growing. Every wash day is soft, detangled, defined ringlets. After getting my hair in good condition, I start looking into clarifying shampoo online, I bumped into that " Organic SHEA Moisture Retention Shampoo" So I read the reveiws again, got excited because in my heart I knew I had an excellent product in my closet somewhere. I washed my hair in 6 twist with vatika oil because it's applied the night before. All I can say is "heaven"....."so buttery", and "tangle free". Even though this is not a clarifying shampoo it does it's job; Clean and moist ringlets. I have been using this shampoo since the end of December and it's wonderful. .. hands down, this shampoo will stay and survive among the greatest. I love this better than Aveda Shampure. I have high hopes for this shampo in the summer alternating with Kenra moisture shampoo which is also a beloved favorite since 1999. //(* - *)\\.........

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2013 12:11:00 PM More reviews by sophialove14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I haven't made it through the whole bottle, so I can't be positive, but I don't think I'll be re purchasing. I bought the shampoo with the conditioner because I was attracted to the fact that it is organic, not tested on animals, etc.I have very thick, very frizzy, tangled, damaged hair, so I was really hoping this shampoo would be my savior. The smell is a bit over powering while you're washing your hair. It smells very good, it's just too strong. So far it has not done exactly what it says it will. My biggest complaint is that it does a pretty bad job of really cleaning your hair. I wash my hair every two days, and I find that even as soon as it dries right after I've just washed it, my scalp is a bit oily. By the second day there are even sticky parts. The conditioner is OK. Really not much to say about it - not bad but certainly not fantastic. over all, it's not the worst shampoo I've ever used, but it really hasn't been as good as I thought it would be.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2013 7:34:00 PM More reviews by anitres

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

My 3c relaxed and colored hair loves this shampoo. It cleans my hair without stripping. It is thick and doesn't lather but I don't have problem washing it out. My hair feel healthy and I get lots of compliments on how healthy my hair looks. I'm trying to love the conditioner will keep you posted.....