Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo

3.9

Deionized Water, Decyl Glucoside (Coconut Oil), African Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Argan Oil, Panthenol (Pro‐Vitamin B‐5), Rosemary Extract, Sea Kelp Extract, Vitamin E, Guar Gum, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Avocado Oil

on 2/24/2014 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

My hair has never felt so soft after shampooing, there was almost no need for a conditioner. I love the smell of shea butter, and it is present in this shampoo. It lathers up nicely, but not too much to the point of drying your locks. It left my hair looking healthier after one wash.

I am on my second bottle of this. I really like that it cleanses so gently and my hair feels clean after. It doesn't dry out my ends or anything, though I never really shampoo the length of my hair, I just let the suds from cleansing my scalp wash through the length. When I got my hair cut last year (about 8-10 inches), the salon owner said that my ends were dry from sulfates, so I haven't used sulfates since then and I've been particular about what I shampoo with. I've used some more expensive shampoos, but I am happy with the results of this. It still isn't cheap at $10 from Sally's or Target, but I trust my hair to this.

on 1/15/2014 6:37:00 PM

I like this shampoo. It makes my hair look really healthy and cleans decently well. However, this does not suds up, and in order to adequately clean my beyond the shoulder length hair I feel like I have to use 1/4 cups worth of this stuff. And that's just to clean my roots! I only use this every other day since it is a more expensive drug store product. It smells good and makes my hair healthy. I would repurchase, but I have other shampoos I like to use in my rotation. I like shampoos that are low-poo but suds up a little more.

on 1/3/2014 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

This is the only shampoo I've been using for the last couple of years. It has a mild, unobtrusive smell and prevents my hair from feeling "squeaky", even after multiple rinse-and-repeats, which is important. My hair does not feel dry after using this product.

I feel it's a fairly standard shampoo -- without the squeakiness, of course -- and works to rid my strands of oil/lint build-up after my hair's been braided up for a month. Diluted with water, it is a great alternative to co-washing (and makes my hair feel cleaner)

Overall, a good, inexpensive, moisturizing shampoo. I'm still open to finding other shampoos but, at the moment, I've been happy and am not searching -- it works good for what I need it to do. It would be great if the bottle had a pump, though.

(For reference, I have natural kinky-curly hair: 3c all over, of medium density with average porosity, and 4a in the crown area, which is more dense and the strands are a bit coarser.)

on 12/29/2013 9:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm really in love with this stuff! Great smell, great ingredients, and it moisturizes my hair wonderfully. Every time I use it, I feel like I don't even need conditioner because it's just so moisturizing. I haven't had any problems with build-up, but I guess I've only been using it for about a week and a half, so maybe I'll see what everyone else is talking about a little later. Also, I don't know why, but at the Walmart around me I got this for 5 dollars and I'm pretty sure it wasn't on sale. Maybe it was. Who knows. Anyway, I really love this shampoo and I will continue to use it and repurchase it!

on 12/29/2013 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I Love this shampoo. I love this because it is gentle and smells so good. It definitely lives up to being non stripping for the hair. My hair is dry and this is great. I do not shampoo once a week more like once a month I co wash the other times but I love this shampoo.

on 12/1/2013 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

HG SHAMPOO!! This is one of the best moisturizing shampoos I've ever used!!! As previous reviewers said, I had to use it a few times before I saw the full benefit. I used it today for the third time since purchasing it and my hair is FANTASTIC. My hair has almost NEVER been this silky or shiny without the attention of a salon professional, but today it is both beautifully clean AND fabulously soft to the touch. I purchased it at Sally's on sale for $6.99 (normally it is $7.99 with a beauty club card) and I will DEFINITELY be repurchasing if it can keep my dry hair this moisturized. It also did not strip the color out of my hair at all, which I was extremely happy about. It is sulfate free and not tested on animals.

on 11/22/2013 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I use this shampoo with the matching conditioner. I bought the conditioner a few weeks before the shampoo, so I feel like I can give an accurate review of the shampoo only.

The scent of this shampoo is very, very strong. Much stronger than the conditioner or any other Shea Moisture product. And the scent lingers - sometimes more than 24 hours. I personally like the scent, but it will be bothersome for many people.

The thing about this shampoo is that I believe it causes buildup. I took this with me to Germany, and maybe it was because of the water there, but this caused sticky buildup unlike anything I've ever used. It was like I had rinsed with a sugar solution. And I am absolutely sure it was because of the shampoo and not the conditioner. I alternate with Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo to avoid buildup. In fact, when I was looking at reviews on other websites, many people use a combination of TJ's tea tree shampoo/conditions with the Shea Moisture ones. I had also been doing this and recommend it.

This shampoo feels so luxurious in the shower. I feel like I could skip conditioner. I have incredibly thick and BSL-length hair which tends to be dry. This treats my hair well. So I would recommend it as long as you smell it first because it is so strong, and as long as you have another shampoo on hand to use as necessary to avoid sticky buildup.

on 11/21/2013 11:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Smelled like sulphur/rotten eggs a week after I bought it....which disappointed me because I really loved it before that point. Expiration date wasn't until 2015. Maybe I just got a funky batch.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I love this stuff, Hate the price a little. I finally finished off my first bottle and my hair definitely feels differently and better than it used to. I find that it does however, build up in my hair and every time I use it I follow it with a vinegar rinse. The scent took me awhile to get used to but I rather like it now. I've tried other things while using it but I always seem to come back. I just wish that they would drop the price a few bucks. Especially since I find that I use more of it than I would traditional products and its such a little bottle. Oh, I've also long since stopped using any kind of styling products to control frizzies or wild hair days. They simply stopped happening!

Top Rated Shea Moisture Products