Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation

4.1

Aqua (water), Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Alcohol Denat, Parfum (fragrance), Panthenol, Aluminium Hydroxide, Litchi Chinensis Pericarp Extract, Silica, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract, Pantolactone, Punica Granatum Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid [+/- May contain: CI 77007 (ultramarines), CI 77019 (mica), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI77891 (titanium dioxide)] 10BMT001-1]

on 4/30/2015 2:11:00 AM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

First Impression: Hesitant because of the limited shade but absolutely LOVE LOVE IT! Definitely recommended to those who have similar dry/dehydrated skin and who are after an everyday / Ďno make-upí look. The finish is between matte and dewy. Recommend to use loose powder for oily areas and/or pressed powder for extra coverage and longer cover. It is my go-to, daily foundation and my skin feels amazing!

I have been looking for a new foundation lately to wear everyday in the office - something hydrating with light to medium coverage, and of course inexpensive. I decided to give Bourjois liquid foundation a try due to its high review rates and it ticked my boxes - light & hydrating. Apparently Bourjois owns Chanel too! Anyway I headed out to the nearest Priceline and was a little disappointed with the range. There were 4 different types of Bourjois liquid foundation available and unfortunately with very limited shades Ė 3-4 shades each and most were on the lighter and pink tones. (According to the Priceline website there are 6 shades available for the Serum range which you can purchase online but the George St Syd store only had 3 shades)

I decided to go for the Healthy Mix Serum Gel in 55 dark beige Ė closest to my handís skin tone and according to other reviews, the serum base is the lightest coverage but apparently very good for dry/dehydrated skin Ė totally agree! AUD$32 for 30ml which comes in a glass pump bottle.

APPLICATION:
For my first attempt, I used one pump, used my fingers and applied it like as if I was applying a serum all over my face. I was so impressed Ė It seriously felt so light on the skin! I thought Iíd skip the powder for the morning, 5 hours later I did get just a little shiny and just applied a little bit of tinted loose powder using tissue. If I didn't have powder, it wouldn't have bothered me as it really wasn't that bad!
My skin felt fresh and supple all day, I did touch it several times during the day to feel if I had oil seeping through but didn't feel it all so I was a little surprised when I saw myself in the mirror.

For my second attempt, I dabbed the product all over my face with my fingers and used a dual fibre brush to spread and blend. Visually I donít think it made a difference so whichever method is comfortable. I used the same dual fibre brush to apply tinted loose powder on my tzone. Definitely looks more polished and skin still feels amazing Ė soft and supple and fresh!

I am still playing around with Ė with / without powder, loose / pressed powder, mineralize etc... and in all honesty it doesnít matter how I have applied it, it consistently impresses me!

COVERAGE & LONGEVITY:
I donít wear a lot of foundation so personally I would say this is actually a Ďmediumí coverage (compared to MAC Face and Body, this has more coverage). Basically it covers what I need to cover without looking like I have packed on foundation! I was quite surprised as it suited my face skin tone Ė I thought it would be too dark but it blended out really nicely and evenly.
I have only been using this foundation for the office so far so it does last... If I were to go out after work I would probably touch up a little but for every day I havenít had the need to.
I do have dark circles so that is the only thing that It does not provide coverage for, however because this is so hydrating I can now pack on some concealer under my eyes without drying my skin.

Overall I really do love it and I do recommend it so personally I would give it a 5/5 however the colour range is not the best. The 5-Dark Beige seemed dark for me but once applied and blended to my face, it actually looks a little light which is OK because a little bit of contouring doesnít hurt! Itís not obvious at all but I noticed in flashed photos, my face do look a little white.

[My Skin Analysis: Combination Ė Oily Tzone and tendency to have dry skin especially during colder season. Under eyes Ė dehydrated with dark circles and fine lines. Small blackheads on the nose, and visible medium pores on the cheeks. Light-medium Asian skin tone and not prone to breakouts]

on 4/26/2015 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got this foundation two days ago after going through pages and pages of liquid foundations for oily skin here on MUA. I hadn't yet made my mind up whether to pick this one or L'Oreal's liquid powder (I believe that's what it's called), went to the drugstore and found out this one had my exact shade. I was so excited, because I found it without any trouble. I also noticed right when I was swatching it on my arm that it was lightweight and easy to blend, and so I bought it. I tried it yesterday and I'M IN LOVE. It's light coverage but that's what I wanted. It smells awesome, blends so easily, sets quickly and doesn't feel like you have it on your skin. I wore it for 4 hours and I didn't appear greasy at all. Great product, even though I didn't like Bourjois before (I've had some of their products before and I liked none of them as much as this).

on 4/23/2015 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

A nice everyday foundation. Does not break me out and give me an even and natural finish. Does not cover perfectly but it's ok for everyday use. It doesn't last all day but is acceptable. Although I am super oily , this foundation held my oil not too bad. Pleasant smell and convenient packaging. Will continue to purchase it.

on 4/23/2015 12:33:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

this is my holy grail of foundations! i have very dry skin sometimes even in the summer and this is one that has worked the best for me. I find it has good coverage and it smells so good! I like that there is a pump too!

on 4/18/2015 8:06:00 AM

I was using the old bourjours healthy mix, but for some reason they stopped producing it, so I gave healthy mix a try. Overall I can say that is has a very fine texture and for my opinion a medium coverage (for my taste even to much of a coverage).

To make it short:

pros:
- price is really good
- nice finish
- good coverage
- easy to apply
- feels good on my dry to combo skin

cons:
- the shade I bought (same as the old version) was way to orange
- does not last long

Since I can only buy it online, I am not sure if I would repurchase, cause as mentioned the color looks just different when applied.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I really wanted to like this product but it just didnít work that well for me. The coverage is incredibly light, looks nice for a few hours then basically wears off before youíve even had 3 hours wear. Itís a lovely product but it doesnít meet its marketing claims.

Coverage: Light to medium, not very buildable. Make sure you elt your moisturizer set before applying this or it just slides all over the place. Iím a regular user of Make-up forever HD and the coverage is almost half. This product is more comparable to a BB cream rather than a foundation, so if you like something light and natural this might be great for you.

Colour: Iím around an NC30 and purchased 53, this colour works really well on me, and because itís such a light bendable product it really does look like skin.

Finish: Slightly dewy natural finish. For me this really needs powder to set and for more coverage.

Lasting power: Not great for something that claims to be 16 hours. Iím lucky to get 3 where my skin doesnít need a touch up to prevent shine. Iím actually okay for a bit of natural shine but this is much more than that.

Price: For a drugstore foundation itís expensive, but it really is a lovely product if they were upfront about what it actually does. If it said Ďnatural looking foundation with light coverageí I would be okay with it, itís their claim of 16 hours wear thatís frustrating. I hear this brand is actually produced by the same people who produce chanel, so if I look at it from that perspective itís not a bad buy.

on 4/15/2015 7:20:00 PM

I've been using this foundation for about 4 years now (time flies, I know) and I am not even getting bored of using it every day! I don't know what would I do if it would get discontinued, because it just makes me look so much better than any other foundation I've used.
I have a very light skin, but with a yellowish tint, so it is really difficult to find the right tone -for some reason most of the foundations are either with a pink or a grey tone. Funny that I could never find the right tone in stores, while I found out about Bourjois Healthy Mix shade 51 in MUA - online. :) It is perfect.
Also, I love the dewy finish and I am fully aware that no foundation can give such finish and be able to last very long, so I'm ok with the 8h that Bourjois Healthy Mix allows me to have. Sure, it is no fun and games during hot summer days, because it really melts off, but I'd rather have a shiny than matt face in such temperatures, since the latter would look and feel rather unnatural. Would love to find an alternative for such weather, but haven't found it yet. Maybe MUA will help again? :)

on 4/15/2015 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Great foundation, great price. Only complaint is the lasting power. The bottle says 16 hours(!), but I'd say it starts to wear off after about 6 hours or so. I know a lot of people think this is pretty light coverage, almost like a bb cream, but personally I find that it's at least medium coverage - Maybe it's because I apply it with a stippling brush, but I'd say it covers very well, even my acne scars. Smell and texture is very nice and easy to work with, and so is the packaging. I got the foundation in the color light beige after looking at swatches online. After ordering I watched a few youtube demos, and suddenly got really worried that it would be way too dark for me - But luckily it was a perfect match. For comparison, I use 40 beige in the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua. Nice to find a good foundation that actually caters to us very yellow-skinned girls, and is also affordable.

on 4/15/2015 5:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have used this foundation for a year now and I can say that this is one of my favourite affordable foundations. The texture and consistency isn't as thick as your conventional foundation hence, a 'serum gel' foundation. I generally have a problem of finding the right shade of foundation to match my complexion however in this range I found shade 52 matches me in the cooler months and shade 53 is perfect for the hotter months. A bottle of this serum gel foundation from Bourjois lasted me almost 6 months which is great value as I use it everyday.

For those with oilier skin (like myself) apply moisturiser wait 5 minutes for it to absorb into your skin, apply primer over your t-zone (make sure to press it into your skin otherwise the primer will just sit on top of your skin) and then apply the foundation using your fingers, damp beauty blender or brush. I personally like to use a damp beauty blender because it makes your foundation look more natural and also because for some reason when I use a brush I get streaks.

The coverage of this foundation is medium and the finish is semi-matte so it isn't dewy or completely matte, just in between. Because the coverage is medium, you will need to use a concealer to cover any redness, hyperpigmentation, and blemishes but I would say it is buildable without looking cakey. Half a pump/a pump of this foundation is more than enough for your entire face.

After applying the foundation, if you have oiler skin then apply some powder to your t-zone and to set your makeup but if you have normal/dry skin then you can skip that step.

Absolutely love this foundation and would highly recommend!

on 4/15/2015 2:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I think I've found my HG foundation. I'm an NC40 in mac and i wear the shade 56 light bronze in this foundation and it matches pretty well. However, the line does tend to run pink; however, for olive skintones this shade works well.

I have dry skin and this foundation applies very smoothly and dries to somewhere between the dewiness of mac face and body and a semi matte finish. It's absolutely gorgeous but it is light to medium coverage and since I don't live in europe, shade matching was very difficult.