Obagi Nu-Derm Sun Shield SPF 50

4.4

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Zinc Oxide 10.5%. Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Stearyl Alcohol, Phenyl Trimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloydimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Soidum Dihydroxycetyl Phosphate, Citric Acid, Squalane, Ceteareth-20, Polysilicone-11, Dimethicone, Crosspolymer-3, Sorbitan Ester, Xanthan Gum, 1,2-hexanediol, Benzoate, Polysorbate 60, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Disodium EDTA, Methylisothiazolinone, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Ubiquinone, Tropolone

on 1/10/2012 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

LOVE LOVE LOVE! Total HG for me, thanks to all the reviews here. I have been searching for a new sunscreen for several months since my beloved Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch sunblock that I had used for years with no problems suddenly started causing breakouts. I've now been using this Nu-Derm product for about a week and it has been amazing. Pros: no whitening, no shine, absorbs quickly, not greasy, semi-matte finish, does not cause breakouts or clogging, comes in a large tube (so should last a long time), does not ball up when worn over silicone products, price is very reasonable, no scent at all. The only con so far is that because I have dry skin and it's the dead of winter, I have to use extra moisturizer with this because it does slightly exacerbate my flakiness/dryness. Will definitely repurchase and highly recommend!

on 1/4/2012 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Have finally found my fall/winter sunscreen. Halleluia! Beats all of the other Obagi sunscreens by a mile.

Pros: applies and feels like lotion on: not pasty, gluey or heavy. Has 10% zinc oxide and 7.5% octinoxate. (My rosacea responds favorably to zinc.) SPF 50 which is so important in my neck of the woods. Ingredient list is not a kitchen sink approach--also important for my rosacea. Does not cause breakouts or rosacea flares on me. No white cast. Expensive but you get 3 oz for the cash so not too bad when doing the math. Makeup applies well over it, very little balling up and I'm not a grease ball by noon. Non-drying too. No scent.

Cons: Kinda pricey but see my rationale above. Must order but I can find at several places.

While LRP Anthelios ultra light SPF 60 is still my summer sunscreen, I'm so happy to have found a rest of the year sunscreen. Makes compliance easy.

on 1/2/2012 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Excellent sunscreen... I have tried many including the Obagi C-SunGuard SPF 30 and Obagi Nu Derm Healthy Skin Protection SPF 35.. This one is MUCH better because it is so light and non-greasy! It works perfectly to reduce flakiness after using a prescription retin-A! Worth every penny.

on 9/19/2011 5:18:00 AM

HG status finally and for my super fussy clog/breakout prone easily irritated nightmare pain in the but skin that is a task! lol. Bottom line anyone with similar skin knows hwo impossible it is to find spf that doesnt clogs and holds up in teh summer without leaving your face a greasy/shiny/broken out nasty mess by the end of the day. I was truly going to give up on spf for what it was doing to my skin and the thousands I have spent in the last decade trying them all from ds, natural, high end, european, chemical, phsyical you name it. Spfs seem to come in two forms, one being thick or never absorbing leaving my skin a sticky hot mess in the summer or all the fluid euro formulas which sounds ideal for my skin type but on teh contrary are FULL or cones and alcohl which both irritate and break me out liek crazy. In that not much left in between. Obagi was about the only random brand I hadnt tried as not a fan of the all too many online pruchases I made for similar brands raved on the boards/online which failed me but I was desperate. I ran this Spf 50 formula vs the vitamin c spf 30 version (good reviews) on cosdna and this came out a winner. Not that you can always judge by that as have many times broken out from products with perfect seeming ingredients. Well crossing my fingers worked as this formula is perfection. Light yet still gives me the moisture I need even being oily prone, easily absorbs, leaves my face feeling smooth and matte yet without that fake feeling from cones/silica/all the other crap in most spfs, and best of all no irritation or clogged pores or breakouts by the end of the day. Also yes I know this formula does have some cones but finally made me realize cones in everything dont make me break out as I had thought as I do think all the other cone products I have tried have many other ingredients that causes clogging or irritation for me while no problem in this spf. I amost can't believe it and just sucks I didnt accidently try this years ago and had to waste so much money on trial and error in the last decade for the sole mission of SPF being the best anti-aging trick which I truly believe but came at the price of horrible skin. Jan Marini Antiox Spf 30 is the only other spf I can tolerate but keep hearing it is unstable sadly so more than glad to have found this with a higher spf to boot as a replacement. Don't hesitate to try this one and truly is worth the $$ and goes such a long way, best price by far is on Amazon, truly impressed! :)

on 6/26/2011 1:52:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I bought this about a month ago. Great sunscreen, melts into your skin without any white cast. I have used the Obagi spf35, which leaves a white residue & is prone to balling up & leaving mottled white clumps, especially around my nose & on the flaking skin round my mouth (from the Obagi Nu-Derm programme I'm on)... this glides on easily & leaves my skin feeling super smooth.

My only issue is my skin is still so red (again, from the Nu-Derm programme) that a bit of a white cast might come in rather handy... :)

Harder to get hold of in the UK but eBay did the trick. Will certainly purchase again.

Edit - June 2015 - I'm on about my 6th bottle of this now, and have still to find anything better. My only issues are the price, (which is exorbitant - damn you Obagi!) and the fact that it washes off easily, so is no good for the beach or poolside - any splash of water and it runs like milk off your face!

on 4/29/2011 11:28:00 AM

This is the best everyday sunscreen I have ever used. Period. It goes on silky smooth and dries matte, providing a perfect base for my mineral foundation. I think anyone could benefit from use of this product, especially people with oily skin, as it has a mattifying effect. It is a little pricey, but it is a good investment for your skin.