Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm Red Dahlia

3.8

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 9/28/2012 12:20:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I am on the fence with this product.

I am a blue eyed NW10 (NW20 when tanning from a bottle in the summer). I have pretty pigmented lips also. When I first swipe this across my lips, I like the subtle deepening of my natural lip color. However, as I continue to wear this throughout the day, my lips not only feel drier and drier, but then I kept putting more lip balm on, and I noticed that as the color grew stronger, this shade looks really off with my skin tone :(

If I wanted a "high maintenance" product that I have to layer with lip balm to moisturize my lips and remember not to over-apply, I'll take a lipstick, thank you.

on 9/8/2012 2:35:00 AM

For me the colour and performance of this product is similar to Clinique's Chubby Stick, in 'Graped Up', which I have used for some time. I prefer fragrance-free products where possible so the disadvantage for me with the BB lip balm is that is that I don't like its sweet, rosy-berry scent. I expect I'll get used to it though, as the BB lip balm is half the price of the Clinique Chubby Stick! (Not sure what the quantity of the Chubby Stick is tho'. The BB lip balm is 4.25 g.) The outer packaging of the BB lip balm adds nothing to the product as far as I am concerned.

on 8/28/2012 8:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the only Burt's Bees product I've had any luck with. Lovely reddish-brown shade that goes on very smoothly. Beautiful color, not greasy or gloppy, but has to be applied often and I don't think it offers any SPF. I'll still keep it on hand though, if only for the color.

on 5/4/2012 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I bought this on sale at Target and am so glad I did! I'm not crazy about Burt's Bees lip balm. It's minty, but I feel that it dries my lips out even more because of the minty feel. I love other BB products, so I decided to try this tinted balm out on a whim. This balm is quite different from the original BB balm. It's very soft, light, and moisturizing. This color might be the darkest of the bunch, and it comes out really nicely. My lips are pretty pigmented, and the red showed up and wasn't patchy on me.
Yes, this balm is more slick than the original formula, but it is moisturizing and has a nice tint. If you're worried about the coloring being too sheer, get the next darker color. It won't be too heavy or harsh.

on 4/6/2012 11:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

I found this patchy and overly scented. I actually threw it away, and if you knew how obsessed with lip balms I am that would mean something to you. I actually wish the application had been more sheer, and the product harder. I think the patchiness would not be very noticeable with the medium colors, but with the light and the dark I would steer clear of this product and save my money.

on 1/14/2012 9:15:00 PM

This tinted balm is great! It protects my lips skiing and makes this pretty and pinky-red. It gives just rnough tint. It has a rose-y smell that I enjoy.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this on a whim several months ago and have kept it in my car for "emergency color." Unlike many other reviewers I love the cardboard tube because it has kept this little gem from melting in the summer or freezing in the winter. I'm pale and my lips tend toward purple if left to their own devices, so I usually need a little color on my lips, this fits the bill. I can apply without a mirror, but if I want to build the color I use one just to keep it even.

I like the texture, it's not waxy or greasy. It feels smooth and lasts a decent amount of time for a balm. I plan to repurcahse when this tube runs out and want to try the other colors in this line.

on 12/12/2011 10:40:00 AM

Yes, this tinted lip balm costs more than Burt's Bees balms. But it's a far better product and--like others have said--costs far less than similar, non-"natural" products sold by other companies. The silky consistency of the tinted lip balm sets it apart from the standard Burt's Bees balms and shimmers that, although nice, are stickier and thicker.

Red Dahlia is better on my fair skin and pale lips than Clinique's Black Honey. It seems to stay a truer dark red even after wearing off while Black Honey sometimes turns a bit fuchsia on me as the day goes on. I'll definitely purchase again and will try other colors in the line.

on 10/1/2011 10:00:00 PM

Feels like a dream going on and the color is awesome. A smooth, sheer wash of a brownish red. Of course, it doesn't stay on long but no tinted lip balms do, do they?

on 10/1/2011 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

The color of this lip balm-- Red Dahlia-- reminds me a lot of Clinique's Black Honey. So, even though it's more expensive than the regular Burt's Bees lip balms, it's half the price of the Clinique!

Overall, I'm very pleased. I usually layer it over a lip stain for a little more color. It's also nice on the weekends alone, when I don't want to wear much of anything but still need a little bit of color.