April 19, 2014 | 1599 users online

Cleansers - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan Cleansing Oil

rated 3 of 5 on 6/3/2013 1:06:00 AM More reviews by thecutietootie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this product after running out of my MAC cleans off oil. The thing that sucked me in was the smell. It smelled fabulous!! I used it once and thought it felt a little heavy and oily. So after continuing to use it for about a week I called it quits. I didn't feel like it got all my make up off like the MAC one. And it also left my skin feeling very greasy. Would defiantly not repurchase this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/28/2013 5:29:00 PM More reviews by k8lawrence

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried this product because i'd been using Lush's 9 to 5 cleansing lotion and wanted a similar product that I could wash off with water. unlike a lot of other users I didn't find it particularly hard to use or overly thick and gummy at all-- it went onto my dry skin smoothly and spread around without any excess tugging. it thickened up a little when I first added water, but quickly became a nice, creamy texture that was easy to massage all over my face removed all my makeup (including bobbi brown's long-wear gel eyeliner) and left me feeling clean when I washed it off. (for reference-- you put this on dry skin first, add a little water to emulsify the oil, massage the emulsified oil into the skin for a few seconds, and then wash it off. if you don't emulsify the oil it doesnt come off as well-- that's why you read the directions, y'all.) it's true that it doesnt taste particularly good if you get it in your mouth, but i dont buy skincare products for the taste so that's not exactly relevant to me. the only reason why i returned this product to Sephora is that I don't think oil cleansers are right for me-- I ended up with clogged pores and bumps all over my forehead and cheeks. I had the same thing with the 9 to 5 cleanser so I think that's just me and not the product. overall a good product, just not right for me!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/16/2013 12:58:00 PM More reviews by shessodessoMUA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've never really thought to combat oil with oil when considering skincare products. I do have oily skin and I thought this product felt fairly great at work. I took a sample home and I do deem it very drying. Again, I do have oily skin but I don't like for my skin to feel that tight.I typically use this during the winter, but I had to top this product off with my Ole Henriksen Advanced Hydration Moisturizer. I'm not big on using my cleanser to remove my makeup because I don't like my clarisonic having to pick up (and harbor) all of that dirt. It truly creeps me out. I will say it does clean any left over makeup I have! I feel like it strips me too much so I'd use this maybe once a week (almost the equivalent to a shampoo). I would def not buy it again. I'll just continue to sample it from work! :)

rated 2 of 5 on 4/19/2013 2:34:00 PM More reviews by edtennisbabe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have to say that I definitely did not enjoy using this product. I've used a cleansing oil to remove makeup for about two years now (usually MAC Cleanse Off Oil...great stuff). On a whim, I purchased this at Sephora. First, as others mention, the texture is really thick. You wouldn't think this is a big deal, but when it comes to getting eye makeup off this stuff really tugs and pulls at your skin. On top of that, it doesn't rinse off well at all.

I think most people use cleansing oils because they want a gentle, moisturizing, and thorough cleansing. Given that this tugs, feels drying, and doesn't remove makeup all that well, I'd call it a total fail.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/17/2013 11:51:00 PM More reviews by Northstar5

I have sensitive combination skin that gets dry and flaky in some areas but breaks out easily. I really like the feel of this product so don't let that part put you off---it goes on easily and washes very clean, and took off 100% of my makeup, even mascara, without leaving a trace. The problem is that the product is very drying. I don't understand how an oil could leave my skin so very dry, tight, flaky and rough, and a bit irritated as well. This rarely happens. The Josie Maran cleanser is one of the most drying products I've ever washed my face with. No wonder it works so well for people with oily skin.

I did not notice the dryness too much after the first wash, but after the second and third wash it was a clear problem. I put on Complex 15 face cream with two drops of pure Argan oil afterwards and that helped a lot, but I will never wash my face with this again. I suspect the grapefruit rind oil is an issue. Also, the emulsifier (Polysorbate 20) ranks very high on the ingredients list and is usually used in smaller proportions.

Sephora has a good return policy so I'll take it back. It may be a great product for someone with oilier skin. And for those complaining about the taste: give me a break. It's not supposed to be your evening cocktail. Who cares.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2013 4:11:00 PM More reviews by MakeupAddictLa

Not worth the money. Doesn't remove makeup well. However, it does wash clean leaving no residue which I appreciate.

Will not repurchase. Not worth it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2013 3:47:00 PM More reviews by Angeldoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to love this but I didn't. My skin is combo, acne+clog prone, slightly sensitive. This cleanser after 2 weeks of using turned my combo skin into a dry tight mess. I stopped using it and returned to another gentler cleanser and my skin is calming down. This made my skin tight and dry and I got dematitis on my cheeks due to the dryness it caused me. Also the fact that this cleanser is so thick and hard to spread (I had to rub the heck out of my skin) made made my skin red and angry.I love josie but this cleanser was absolutely horrible for me. I'm returning it asap!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/22/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by xcessa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the fourth oil cleanser I've tried: Shu, MAC, Boscia, and now Josie. I have to say - this is my least favourite! Both nights that I have used it, my eyes have been red and irritated the next day. This is not true at all with the Shu or MAC ones - you can really get in there and break down long wearing eye makeup, lash glue, whatever with no irritation. Boscia is good but the mintyness also wasn't great for my sensitive skin.
Pros of this is that it really does take all the makeup off, and leaves your skin feeling moisturized. If you use a separate eye makeup remover, give this a shot. If you want an all-in-one, try the others mentioned.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2013 6:46:00 PM More reviews by Jinxicat9

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I haven't been a fan of oil based cleaners until now. The few I've tried in the past seemed to irritate my skin, cause breakouts on my chin and had no benefit to my skin.
I received Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil as a deluxe sample in a binge haul from Sephora. Truth is, I had never heard of the Josie Maran brand before. A few weeks later I tried it as part of my face cleansing routine before going to bed. The first night I tried it I liked the feel of it as I gently massaged it in. (Not on my eyes, only gentle eye makeup remover for my eyes.) The smell of citrus was wonderful and I liked the viscosity of the oil, thick and then it becomes smooth and silky with the warmth of my hands. I normally rinse/flush my face very well, finish with a warm steamy wash cloth over my face for a minute and then calm my skin with one of my favorite face toners around my chin to calm my skin. I used the oil cleanser for a few nights with nothing seemingly special about it. On the fourth night after my routine my skin just felt different, really clean, firm but not tight and really nice. I went to examine my skin a little more carefully and closer and immediately noticed that the problem pores around my chin area were smaller and smoother looking. The pores also looked empty, if that makes sense. That alone was impressive to me. But, I also have mild rosacea across the bridge of my nose and slightly into my cheeks...It was dramatically improved, still slightly pinkish looking, but super smooth and soft. I was sold and delighted. I ordered the full sized bottle with a few extra Josie Maran products that same night. It's been about three weeks and my skin hasn't looked this good in a long time. I've even had a few days where I didn't use foundation only a little powder and blush and my skin looked fresh and calm. I truly do love this product and for the first time ever purchased a full product from trying a sample.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2013 5:40:00 PM More reviews by canadian

For reference my skin is combination (dry cheeks, slightly oily tzone) and sensitive.

I apply a small amount to dry skin, massage it for 20-30 second, add water to my face to create a lather, massage for another 20-30 second, rinse.

I haven't removed eye makeup with this product because I'm not sure if it's safe for the eye area.

I find if I'm wearing heavier foundation I may need to do a second cleanse with this product or another type of cleanser.

The only cons are it feels like it leaves a bit of a film on my face ( a few extra splashes of water help) and my skin feels a bit dry (face moisturizer solves that).

It hasn't irritated my sensitive skin