December 17, 2014 | 1642 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 1 of 5 on 6/14/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by Kpmuzzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Exactly as the previous review :( when I first started to use this product I loved it, I used it to lighten my roots so I wasn't dying my hair to often :/. But after a period of time as my hair grew I noticed my hair was getting really crunchy when dry and squishy/overly stretchy when wet (about fringe length all the way round the top layer of hair). I started using treatments/conditioners but eventually the hair to the front broke off : O!! And has now broke in a few other areas. The areas that diddnt break are now porous and my hair can be hard to manage. I do use the John Freida sheer blonde enhancing shampoo and conditioner (I also alternate the conditioner with the moisturising version too) which helps mend porus areas and this is the only way I can make my hair manageable (go figure, one damages and another helps). Wish I had never used it :*( just don't use it it will ruin your hair!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 7:44:00 PM More reviews by xoxoVictoriak

Im afraid to leave a good review of this product. Contrary to what everyone is saying, I rather enjoyed it. I usually use Sun-in in the summer to lighten my hair to the shade I like, then get stuck with roots for the winter. I have pretty thick, pin straight medium blonde hair and Ive been using the lightening spray for roughly 2 years now and have never really found an issue with it other than after the first use. I use the John Frieda blonde shampoos and conditioners and the towel dry my hair ( in the wrap) for about 30 min, then blow dry using the spray and finish with a flat iron. the only thing I find is that after the first use it feels a little dry, but I just spray Garnier "triple-nourish finishing spray" on it and its fine. I would recommend to anyone looking to buy this product for the first time, be aware that it takes a few uses to show a dramatic colour change, and myself having long hair it usually takes me 5-6 applications to achieve the coulour I desire.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2013 5:34:00 AM More reviews by ChanelSaysSimon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff isn't as horrible as people say but it isn't great either. People that have horror stories and comments about the product ruining their hair most likely over used the product. Keep in mind that the bottle clearly states that it contains hydrogen peroxide which makes the lightening effect but can also damage your hair severely. This product is for people whose hair is in extremely great condition and don't abuse the product. The product WILL lighten your hair and WILL dry it out as well so I would not recommend this to anyone with dry or damaged hair like mine. I used it only once it had a weird smell but it's not too strong. It makes your hair feel kind of dirty after using the blow dryer and straightener. I might use it again occasionally with a deep conditioner but I definitely wouldn't buy it again or use it on a daily basis. In fact healthy had or not I wouldn't recommend anyone to use this every day.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/13/2013 6:07:00 PM More reviews by sarahholman

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This ruined my hair. I had honey blonde hair which I thought was in very decent condition. After spraying sections to create streaks and blow drying as per the directions my hair began to break off in chunks. PLEASE think twic before purchasing. I realize some people have had Good luck but why take the risk? I have spent 60$ in hair reconstructors and conditioners to try to ease the damage. Last time i cheap Out. Beware!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2013 6:38:00 AM More reviews by MelihaP

I am almost scared to leave a positive review of this product as many people have had such bad experiences. So I will try to explain really well why I like it and hope nobody thinks I'm an airhead who is dancing in the clouds before reality hits me...

I have honestly been using this spray for two whole years now. I am a dark blonde, my hair is quite fine and thin and has never been something I was hugely proud of - it is not one of my best features. So...quite normal hair I would say. I wanted to lighten my hair about 2-3 shades and I first used this spray all over my hair, from root to end, every time I washed my hair. That would be every 2-3 days. I then blow dried it and used a hair straightener to make the most out of the lightening effect. I did this maybe 4 times. My hair got as light as I wanted it so I stopped using the spray until I needed to lighten my roots and I have been doing only that ever since. I just blow dry it after. I still wash my hair every 2-3 days and I use a natural shampoo and conditioner that give moisture to the hair. I use the TRESemme - Heat Defence Styling Spray every time I blow dry my hair and I nearly never use heat tools. I have never experienced any of the problems mentioned except for my hair being somewhat dry now and then when I used it all over my hair, but mostly, it is quite shiny and very soft - THAT has to do with the TRESemme spray alone, I have to admit. But if I don't blow dry it, and don't put anything in after washing it, it is still soft and shiny (but FLAT). I for one would be very sad if this product went away because going to the hair dresser here is VERY expensive. Or I would have to die it at home and I really hate doing that.

One tip: do not use a lot at a time. You don't need to soak your hair in it. Be patient and let the color lighten over time.

If you are scared to try - don't do it. Better safe than sorry.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/8/2013 12:05:00 AM More reviews by Bippityboppityboo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I wish I could take all these bottles off every store shelf. I hate hate hate this spray. Sure it looks pretty for the first three days. But then it faded and barely was there. Maybe left an orange tone but nothing much. Just like the other reviewers said, it destroyed my healthy virgin hair. I barely use heat, deep condition weekly, etc and this bs took my healthy away from me. I sprayed it on my top hairs so I recently just cut pieces of my hair out that were the worst. I look like I have layers so its fine but still. What is this scary crap?

rated 1 of 5 on 4/27/2013 9:02:00 PM More reviews by lawcat

This product will ruin your hair. I have dark blonde hair. This has turned my hair, very gradually, into straw. No it does not fall out, but it has become dry and wiry at the ends, and especially damaged in certain areas. I have gone more than a month without using it at times. It took a year for me to see the damage, but now that it has come, my only course of action is to cut it off, and I mean all off. I have only used sparingly but something about this product is very damaging. As others have said, there is no product to repair the damage this spray causes.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 3:59:00 PM More reviews by wampasbabystar

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

In my opinion (although all these reviews are opinions), this is a good product *if and only if* you meet the following criteria:

--you are a natural blonde.
--you've never *truly* dyed your hair, either with a box dye or at a salon.
--you have fine-ish hair.
--you treat your hair gently, i.e. rarely heat style, use protein treatments occasionally, deep condition every once in a while, etc.

My experience:

I'm a very fair-skinned natural blonde with long, fine hair. As a child, my hair color was very pale--between Level 10 and 11. Currently, my natural color is a light Level 7. With monthly-ish applications of Go Blonder Lightening Spray, I'm an easy Level 8 with Level 9 highlights.

I've been using this product since it came out and it hasn't damaged my hair at all. Before that, I used the dreaded Sun-In (which didn't hurt my hair either, but I realize that's unusual). I've been using products like these for (drumroll, please) 17 years. My hair is in perfect shape and every stylist I've had has thought my color was 100% natural. :)

My only complaint is that you are paying a decent chunk of change for very little product.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/4/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by LindsayChilderhose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

*Question*
I too have been using this product to turn my dull-blonde hair to beach-y blonde. I'm completely satisfied already after using one bottle. It dried the crap out of my hair and for a while I was afraid of breakage, however I stopped using it for about a month and instead used a ridiculous amount of conditioners and hair repair masks. My hair is in great shape now and keeps growing just fine. I think my results were only positive because I have "virgin" hair. Has anyone, who has NEVER colored or dyed their hair before in a salon or anything used this product and ruined their hair? I think the problem is that the product reacts badly with color treated hair or color treatment.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2013 7:20:00 AM More reviews by December2994

For those of you who do not wish to go through all the reviews of this product, I will give you a recap.

Positive Reviews = People who just recently started using this spray and think they've found liquid gold because it enables them to touch up their roots during the winter and elongate their time in between visits to the hair salon. They are delighted, happy little campers who want to gush and rave and do cartwheels about how fantastic this is. They assume that the negative reviews are due to people simply not using the product properly.

Negative Reviews = All the people who were formerly the Positive Review people and now have permanently ruined hair from using the John Frieda Go Blonder spray. This product WILL destroy your hair. When that will happen varies with each person. Some can use the spray for months without a problem. Some will start to have their hair turn to the consistency of melted Jello after three uses. Like death and taxes your hair being ruined from this product is inevitable. It's just chemistry. Any person who tells you otherwise is mistaken. I actually brought this product to my chemistry professor after it ruined my little sister's hair, and he said the chemical makeup of the product will break down hair. If you understand how the product works and how your hair works, you will get why this product is horrific. The worse part about it is that once you use it, you can't just undo the damage by throwing the bottle away. It will continue to cause your hair to break off, become frizzy and brittle, and fall out. It's now been 14 months since my sister used this product, and she's STILL suffering from the damage. The kid went to THERAPY over this product last year because it caused bald spots on the very front of her head, which in turn led to her having extremely low self esteem and not wanting to go to school. Her hair fell out at school several times. She had no idea this site even existed at the time she started using the spray, or she would have been smart enough to not use the product.

So all the smiles you see, all the positive reviews, they are going to be flipped upside down sooner or later. I sincerely hope that if you have come to this page that you will be wise enough to realize that the temporary rewards are not worth the huge amount of risk. Return the product, or throw it in the trash where it belongs.

For those of you who have had their hair ruined by this product, please make sure you inform John Frieda about it. They are not going to be willing to do a thing about their labels, much less take this awful product off their shelf, unless every single person who has a problem with it tells THEM about what it did to them. Don't just vent here. Let them know.

33 out of 39 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No