July 29, 2014 | 1911 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 3:59:00 PM More reviews by wampasbabystar

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

In my opinion (although all these reviews are opinions), this is a good product *if and only if* you meet the following criteria:

--you are a natural blonde.
--you've never *truly* dyed your hair, either with a box dye or at a salon.
--you have fine-ish hair.
--you treat your hair gently, i.e. rarely heat style, use protein treatments occasionally, deep condition every once in a while, etc.

My experience:

I'm a very fair-skinned natural blonde with long, fine hair. As a child, my hair color was very pale--between Level 10 and 11. Currently, my natural color is a light Level 7. With monthly-ish applications of Go Blonder Lightening Spray, I'm an easy Level 8 with Level 9 highlights.

I've been using this product since it came out and it hasn't damaged my hair at all. Before that, I used the dreaded Sun-In (which didn't hurt my hair either, but I realize that's unusual). I've been using products like these for (drumroll, please) 17 years. My hair is in perfect shape and every stylist I've had has thought my color was 100% natural. :)

My only complaint is that you are paying a decent chunk of change for very little product.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/4/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by LindsayChilderhose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

*Question*
I too have been using this product to turn my dull-blonde hair to beach-y blonde. I'm completely satisfied already after using one bottle. It dried the crap out of my hair and for a while I was afraid of breakage, however I stopped using it for about a month and instead used a ridiculous amount of conditioners and hair repair masks. My hair is in great shape now and keeps growing just fine. I think my results were only positive because I have "virgin" hair. Has anyone, who has NEVER colored or dyed their hair before in a salon or anything used this product and ruined their hair? I think the problem is that the product reacts badly with color treated hair or color treatment.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2013 7:20:00 AM More reviews by December2994

For those of you who do not wish to go through all the reviews of this product, I will give you a recap.

Positive Reviews = People who just recently started using this spray and think they've found liquid gold because it enables them to touch up their roots during the winter and elongate their time in between visits to the hair salon. They are delighted, happy little campers who want to gush and rave and do cartwheels about how fantastic this is. They assume that the negative reviews are due to people simply not using the product properly.

Negative Reviews = All the people who were formerly the Positive Review people and now have permanently ruined hair from using the John Frieda Go Blonder spray. This product WILL destroy your hair. When that will happen varies with each person. Some can use the spray for months without a problem. Some will start to have their hair turn to the consistency of melted Jello after three uses. Like death and taxes your hair being ruined from this product is inevitable. It's just chemistry. Any person who tells you otherwise is mistaken. I actually brought this product to my chemistry professor after it ruined my little sister's hair, and he said the chemical makeup of the product will break down hair. If you understand how the product works and how your hair works, you will get why this product is horrific. The worse part about it is that once you use it, you can't just undo the damage by throwing the bottle away. It will continue to cause your hair to break off, become frizzy and brittle, and fall out. It's now been 14 months since my sister used this product, and she's STILL suffering from the damage. The kid went to THERAPY over this product last year because it caused bald spots on the very front of her head, which in turn led to her having extremely low self esteem and not wanting to go to school. Her hair fell out at school several times. She had no idea this site even existed at the time she started using the spray, or she would have been smart enough to not use the product.

So all the smiles you see, all the positive reviews, they are going to be flipped upside down sooner or later. I sincerely hope that if you have come to this page that you will be wise enough to realize that the temporary rewards are not worth the huge amount of risk. Return the product, or throw it in the trash where it belongs.

For those of you who have had their hair ruined by this product, please make sure you inform John Frieda about it. They are not going to be willing to do a thing about their labels, much less take this awful product off their shelf, unless every single person who has a problem with it tells THEM about what it did to them. Don't just vent here. Let them know.

33 out of 39 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2013 8:54:00 AM More reviews by Jennaaa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

My photo is the one with straight brownish hair on one side (before) and wavy blonde on the other side (after).

First let me say that I wouldn't use this product again simply because it's done what I wanted it to do and I will not keep dying my roots, I just want to leave my hair alone now and let it grow out slightly ombre. My results are not too different to my natural hair colour, especially once toned. Purple shampoo, rinses etc.

So I bought this product from the supermarket since I don't have money to get my hair done professionally anymore and I have had horrific results professionally anyway! I have natural dark-medium blonde hair, which graduates to a lighter blonde at the ends over time and develops natural highlights (from the sun bleaching it). I made the stupid decision of dying my hair darkest natural brown with a supermarket semi-permanent. I didn't realise it would permanently dye my hair brown, because it said lasts for 8 weeks, but it permanently dyed my hair because it did contain peroxide. A few months later when I had an inch of ridiculously light ash (almost grey looking) regrowth compared to this super dark chocolate brown, I went to the hair dressers and asked what I could do to try and go back to blonde. They refused to bleach all my hair back to blonde out of fear of damage so I got a full head of foils which looked pretty unpleasant - medium/light blonde on top of brown. He said I might not like it now but just wait a few months and do more foils. I went back and said I can't stand looking like a skunk so he put a temporary medium blonde colour over everything, but my hair is very porous so it stuck and I was left with the result in the before side of my picture. So that's the history of my hair right now. It did look blonde in the sun but brownish in the shade.

I have been wanting to get more foils now since it's been 6 months since I did all of that, but I cant afford it and they always come out way too blonde and not ash enough. So I saw the john frieda lightening spray and decided to try it since I used sun-in as a teenager with no problems, no brassiness or damage that I could see. So I used the spray three times on all of my hair - I used a LOT of heat (blow dryer and straightener) and my hair is dramatically blonder after that. It felt starchy like hair spray after putting loads of it all over my hair and styling it, but that washes out. It goes starchy on your hands too. I also used it once more, a 4th time, but just on some highlighted areas. I am pretty happy with the result - my hair does not seem damaged at all but it's only been 2 weeks. I do not plan on using it anymore. My hair may look frizzy and kinky in my after picture, but that's just the texture of my hair. My hair is straightened in the before side.

I went into hairhouse warehouse and a hairdresser basically told me my hair will keep bleaching every time I put heat on it now and will gradually turn gummy and fall out!! I then read all these reviews and got myself into a literal panic because I have been growing my hair for 3 years now. But my hair does not appear to be getting any lighter, or continually bleaching, though I have been avoiding heat tools since I used it. My hair is no more frizzy or flyaway than it always was. She was basing it off her experience with oldschool lightening sprays, not specifically John Frieda Lightening Spray. It may not work like she assumes it does, it may only be heat activated while it's literally on your hair and coating it, not after you wash it out. I mean like my husband said, why would you need to use it up to 10 times, if it just keeps bleaching and damaging your hair forever? You'd only need to use it once. So I don't think it's as bad as they say. However if I decided to get foils done in the future, I will ask them to do a test patch first in case it reacts with any chemical residue in my hair from the spray, just in case.

But let me also say that even though I have frizzy coarse thick porous hair, I have also used sun-in as a teenager, then dyed my hair permanently black, then got it bleached back to blonde plus foils at a salon, and THEN also put supermarket light ash blonde over the top of that! yes my hair was damaged and very wiry, but it certainly did not break off, fall out, come out in chunks, etc etc. So maybe I just have really strong hair.

I wouldn't recommend it because of the horror reviews I've read and because it caused me a lot of worrying that my hair will fall out. But honestly my hair doesn't seem damaged at all and it came out quite an ash colour which was what I wanted. I hate brassy blonde and it's very hard to achieve ash blonde when you have undertones of chocolate brown dye.

Good luck girls!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2013 7:19:00 PM More reviews by anthriani

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Bear with me please. Bad points are coming first, but good points will follow. Promise!
(Also, sorry about the length!)

Ok firstly I should say that I am a brunette - and not a light, almost blonde, brunette. I have about medium to dark brown hair so, as stated on the packaging, this product is not made for me. According to the experts at John Frieda: Beware people like me!!!

I say this because, having read previous reviews, everyone that has had a seriously bad experience with this product seems to be a brunette of some level and - considering their level of surprise when their hair firstly doesnt go platinum and secondly becomes very fragile - I'm guessing hadn't read the warning on the box.

As such, if you are a brunette, try this at your own risk. As a warning I'll tell you that a dark haired friend of mine used this to lightenn her roots and the hairdresser banned her from dying her hair again until it had grown out and she'd cut it off (luckily she had very short hair!)

This is not my experience with it however!

I use this product to lighten the ends of my hair and make a few of my natural highlights stand out a little more - aiming for a graduating change rather than an obvious one. Basically I try aim for the hair I would have if i spent 2-3 summer months on a beach rather than in less than beachy London.

The effect I get is lovely. It takes a good few applications and some extreme straighening but the colour lightens to what i'd describe as a washed out looking brown/almost blonde colour with no brassiness.
This may not sound nice to you all but trust me, it is! And is very close to what my hair naturally does (something that other lightening/highlighting products designed for brunettes dont seem to want to do on me)

I would like to state that when I bought it two springs ago (only just finished my first bottle after almost 3 years), I used it about a handful of times over 2-3 weeks at first and then forgot about it for months at a time before using it once or twice when i remembered and wanted to raise the lightening effect up the hair and closer to my roots due to trims and growth.

I have always aimed to use it sparingly as it DOES contain peroxide and as such logically will cause some damage to anyone using it - be they blondes or brunettes. But that should be expected, The sun and even the best hairdresser would have the same effect over time - you are bleaching the colour out of your hair!

Does it dry out my ends? Yes. But so does time, the sun, products, hair styling tools and a million other things (and considering you need high heat for it to work, are you surprised?) Thats what trims, conditioners and general hair maintenance is for.

Do I get split end? again yes, but I'll be honest, firstly my hair could be in wonderful condition and still be a hot bed of split ends and secondly a weeks blow drying does far more damage to my hair than this has.

Have hairdressers run screaming from my hair with an insistance of deep conditioning treatments on a daily basis and a ban on anything but the gentlest products? Not at all!
In fact every hairdresser I have seen in the last 3 years has commented on how healthy it is (especailly considering its past-shoulderblade length)

In conclusion:
The product does exactly what it says on the box and very well. It can be harsh on the hair, but it is also a peroxide product and anyone expecting it to work like a conditioner clearly has a bad grasp of basic hair chemistry and needs to do a little more research on the subject. Use it sparingly, look after your hair as much as possible before,d uring and after you use it, and brunettes: please do not expect it to make you blonde. If you want such a drastic colour change, go to a professional.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2013 9:20:00 AM More reviews by hannahbanana13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this twice on my regrowth on my blonde hair, now i have orangey looking roots. I have some fly aways at the front and I don't think its worth it, I think it would look better to just have my brown hair coming threw the top than try and lighten them with this spray especially afet all the horror stories i read. I threw my bottle out defiantly not worth the ten dollars.If you want to go lighter this spray is not miracle you are better off going to a professional or buying a box kit !

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2013 2:35:00 PM More reviews by kateydub

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I agree with the reviewer a couple posts down, this product should be used sparingly! Be patient, use caution, and you'll see some results. :)

I have long blonde hair, the bottom 1/3 has been colored/bleached while the top 2/3 is all natural. So it's a very slight ombre effect going on. The winter months can get kind of drab so here's how I utilize this spray:

I'll use it once MAYBE twice a week and will always follow up at the *next* wash with Shimmer Lights conditioner. (I just mix a few drops into my regular products.) That's where I really see the pay-off with this lightening spray. It tones down any brassiness and makes the lighter strands sparkle!

I can't imagine using this every day to lighten my hair, mainly because it's just not a good styling product. I use this product on its own in damp hair because I'm wary of how it might mix with other ingredients. I like to separate my bangs/front layers and spray them from root to tip. Then I section my hair, mist a bit, and comb it through. I don't saturate my hair or concentrate it anywhere. Finally I'll run some moroccan oil through my hair when its dry. Then, again, I'll use some shimmer lights at the next wash.

I'll follow this routine for 2-3 weeks and then I'll put on a clear, demi ION glaze. I'll wait a month or so, and then use the spray again as the clear shine washes out.

It's just enough for me to brighten my hair a bit without having to use any bleach or permanent dye, think Amanda Seyfried's color. *squeal!!* But that's just me.

**Please be SO SUPER CAREFUL if you have dyed hair!! Cannot stress that enough!!**

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2013 9:00:00 AM More reviews by friddyc

LOVED this product when I first used it - turned my dark blonde hair a really lovely light sun-kissed blonde... and then it all went wrong... I must have used the spray maybe only five times and my hair started breaking off in chunks, I'm not even joking, I now have large sections of hair where it is no longer than five cm's long (the rest of my hair is shoulder length), its now also really dry, brittle, the gorgeous goldy colour has gone brassy yellow AND - NO HAIRDRESSER WILL DYE MY HAIR - as they're afraid even more hair will fall out because my hair is so damaged even though I stopped using this product over three months ago!! Seriously avoid this product - I was of the opinion 'it cant be that bad' after reading reviews before using it, trust me, it really is that bad!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2013 7:05:00 PM More reviews by HannahRach

I know there has been a lot of negative reviews on this one but I've got a positive one! :)
I've got naturally blonde hair, it's waist length, curly and super thick. I wanted to lighten my hair a little bit a few years ago so I decided to purchase this.
I ONLY use it during the winter months when my roots are a little darker and my blonde needs a little boost. I do not use it during the summer months, you just don't need it then.
The one bottle lasts me a whole year. This is how little you need to use it.
I spray it roughly over my whole head once a week or 3 weeks during one or two winter months, and it gives me a really natural looking highlighted look! I've never had a problem with my hair falling out/breaking/splitting or getting damaged when using this product, but I do use it sparingly.
Overall I really like this product and it is SO much cheaper than getting my hair highlighted at the hairdressers!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/10/2013 10:32:00 AM More reviews by ellir02

do NOT buy this product. I am agreeing with all the negative reviews i have read on this product, and if you still have anything positive to say about it please please do not continue using it.
I started using this product with mousey brown hair and was so so happy with the results at first, its changed to a lovely, really unusual caramel shade that i was constantly getting complimented about. So i felt i had to keep using it to keep the colour as it would start to dull down if i stopped. after using it on and off for about a year i then stopped for about 6 months and its THEN that the damage started. I have always taken great care of my hair it was medium length and really thick. my hair started to go really dry and frizzy on top and no prodcts could control it, then all the frizz just completly broke off in clumps leaving me with very very short and uneven tufts of hair on the top of my head. my hair is so so fine and brittle now that i cant do anything with it without it hurting or being scared its going to break off. i have 3 bald patches too at the bottom. This product should mdefinatly come with warning labels its horrific. it shouldnt be allowed to be sold, especially seeing how many other people have had the same problem. i'd give anything to have my old hair back, you definately get what you pay for with this product, if you want your hair lightened, DO NOT USE THIS AS THE CHEAP WAY OUT!!!! pay the proper price at the hairdressers!!