September 22, 2014 | 1226 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 1 of 5 on 5/13/2013 6:07:00 PM More reviews by sarahholman

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This ruined my hair. I had honey blonde hair which I thought was in very decent condition. After spraying sections to create streaks and blow drying as per the directions my hair began to break off in chunks. PLEASE think twic before purchasing. I realize some people have had Good luck but why take the risk? I have spent 60$ in hair reconstructors and conditioners to try to ease the damage. Last time i cheap Out. Beware!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2013 6:38:00 AM More reviews by MelihaP

I am almost scared to leave a positive review of this product as many people have had such bad experiences. So I will try to explain really well why I like it and hope nobody thinks I'm an airhead who is dancing in the clouds before reality hits me...

I have honestly been using this spray for two whole years now. I am a dark blonde, my hair is quite fine and thin and has never been something I was hugely proud of - it is not one of my best features. So...quite normal hair I would say. I wanted to lighten my hair about 2-3 shades and I first used this spray all over my hair, from root to end, every time I washed my hair. That would be every 2-3 days. I then blow dried it and used a hair straightener to make the most out of the lightening effect. I did this maybe 4 times. My hair got as light as I wanted it so I stopped using the spray until I needed to lighten my roots and I have been doing only that ever since. I just blow dry it after. I still wash my hair every 2-3 days and I use a natural shampoo and conditioner that give moisture to the hair. I use the TRESemme - Heat Defence Styling Spray every time I blow dry my hair and I nearly never use heat tools. I have never experienced any of the problems mentioned except for my hair being somewhat dry now and then when I used it all over my hair, but mostly, it is quite shiny and very soft - THAT has to do with the TRESemme spray alone, I have to admit. But if I don't blow dry it, and don't put anything in after washing it, it is still soft and shiny (but FLAT). I for one would be very sad if this product went away because going to the hair dresser here is VERY expensive. Or I would have to die it at home and I really hate doing that.

One tip: do not use a lot at a time. You don't need to soak your hair in it. Be patient and let the color lighten over time.

If you are scared to try - don't do it. Better safe than sorry.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/8/2013 12:05:00 AM More reviews by Bippityboppityboo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I wish I could take all these bottles off every store shelf. I hate hate hate this spray. Sure it looks pretty for the first three days. But then it faded and barely was there. Maybe left an orange tone but nothing much. Just like the other reviewers said, it destroyed my healthy virgin hair. I barely use heat, deep condition weekly, etc and this bs took my healthy away from me. I sprayed it on my top hairs so I recently just cut pieces of my hair out that were the worst. I look like I have layers so its fine but still. What is this scary crap?

rated 1 of 5 on 4/27/2013 9:02:00 PM More reviews by lawcat

This product will ruin your hair. I have dark blonde hair. This has turned my hair, very gradually, into straw. No it does not fall out, but it has become dry and wiry at the ends, and especially damaged in certain areas. I have gone more than a month without using it at times. It took a year for me to see the damage, but now that it has come, my only course of action is to cut it off, and I mean all off. I have only used sparingly but something about this product is very damaging. As others have said, there is no product to repair the damage this spray causes.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 3:59:00 PM More reviews by wampasbabystar

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

In my opinion (although all these reviews are opinions), this is a good product *if and only if* you meet the following criteria:

--you are a natural blonde.
--you've never *truly* dyed your hair, either with a box dye or at a salon.
--you have fine-ish hair.
--you treat your hair gently, i.e. rarely heat style, use protein treatments occasionally, deep condition every once in a while, etc.

My experience:

I'm a very fair-skinned natural blonde with long, fine hair. As a child, my hair color was very pale--between Level 10 and 11. Currently, my natural color is a light Level 7. With monthly-ish applications of Go Blonder Lightening Spray, I'm an easy Level 8 with Level 9 highlights.

I've been using this product since it came out and it hasn't damaged my hair at all. Before that, I used the dreaded Sun-In (which didn't hurt my hair either, but I realize that's unusual). I've been using products like these for (drumroll, please) 17 years. My hair is in perfect shape and every stylist I've had has thought my color was 100% natural. :)

My only complaint is that you are paying a decent chunk of change for very little product.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/4/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by LindsayChilderhose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

*Question*
I too have been using this product to turn my dull-blonde hair to beach-y blonde. I'm completely satisfied already after using one bottle. It dried the crap out of my hair and for a while I was afraid of breakage, however I stopped using it for about a month and instead used a ridiculous amount of conditioners and hair repair masks. My hair is in great shape now and keeps growing just fine. I think my results were only positive because I have "virgin" hair. Has anyone, who has NEVER colored or dyed their hair before in a salon or anything used this product and ruined their hair? I think the problem is that the product reacts badly with color treated hair or color treatment.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2013 7:20:00 AM More reviews by December2994

For those of you who do not wish to go through all the reviews of this product, I will give you a recap.

Positive Reviews = People who just recently started using this spray and think they've found liquid gold because it enables them to touch up their roots during the winter and elongate their time in between visits to the hair salon. They are delighted, happy little campers who want to gush and rave and do cartwheels about how fantastic this is. They assume that the negative reviews are due to people simply not using the product properly.

Negative Reviews = All the people who were formerly the Positive Review people and now have permanently ruined hair from using the John Frieda Go Blonder spray. This product WILL destroy your hair. When that will happen varies with each person. Some can use the spray for months without a problem. Some will start to have their hair turn to the consistency of melted Jello after three uses. Like death and taxes your hair being ruined from this product is inevitable. It's just chemistry. Any person who tells you otherwise is mistaken. I actually brought this product to my chemistry professor after it ruined my little sister's hair, and he said the chemical makeup of the product will break down hair. If you understand how the product works and how your hair works, you will get why this product is horrific. The worse part about it is that once you use it, you can't just undo the damage by throwing the bottle away. It will continue to cause your hair to break off, become frizzy and brittle, and fall out. It's now been 14 months since my sister used this product, and she's STILL suffering from the damage. The kid went to THERAPY over this product last year because it caused bald spots on the very front of her head, which in turn led to her having extremely low self esteem and not wanting to go to school. Her hair fell out at school several times. She had no idea this site even existed at the time she started using the spray, or she would have been smart enough to not use the product.

So all the smiles you see, all the positive reviews, they are going to be flipped upside down sooner or later. I sincerely hope that if you have come to this page that you will be wise enough to realize that the temporary rewards are not worth the huge amount of risk. Return the product, or throw it in the trash where it belongs.

For those of you who have had their hair ruined by this product, please make sure you inform John Frieda about it. They are not going to be willing to do a thing about their labels, much less take this awful product off their shelf, unless every single person who has a problem with it tells THEM about what it did to them. Don't just vent here. Let them know.

33 out of 39 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2013 8:54:00 AM More reviews by Jennaaa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

My photo is the one with straight brownish hair on one side (before) and wavy blonde on the other side (after).

First let me say that I wouldn't use this product again simply because it's done what I wanted it to do and I will not keep dying my roots, I just want to leave my hair alone now and let it grow out slightly ombre. My results are not too different to my natural hair colour, especially once toned. Purple shampoo, rinses etc.

So I bought this product from the supermarket since I don't have money to get my hair done professionally anymore and I have had horrific results professionally anyway! I have natural dark-medium blonde hair, which graduates to a lighter blonde at the ends over time and develops natural highlights (from the sun bleaching it). I made the stupid decision of dying my hair darkest natural brown with a supermarket semi-permanent. I didn't realise it would permanently dye my hair brown, because it said lasts for 8 weeks, but it permanently dyed my hair because it did contain peroxide. A few months later when I had an inch of ridiculously light ash (almost grey looking) regrowth compared to this super dark chocolate brown, I went to the hair dressers and asked what I could do to try and go back to blonde. They refused to bleach all my hair back to blonde out of fear of damage so I got a full head of foils which looked pretty unpleasant - medium/light blonde on top of brown. He said I might not like it now but just wait a few months and do more foils. I went back and said I can't stand looking like a skunk so he put a temporary medium blonde colour over everything, but my hair is very porous so it stuck and I was left with the result in the before side of my picture. So that's the history of my hair right now. It did look blonde in the sun but brownish in the shade.

I have been wanting to get more foils now since it's been 6 months since I did all of that, but I cant afford it and they always come out way too blonde and not ash enough. So I saw the john frieda lightening spray and decided to try it since I used sun-in as a teenager with no problems, no brassiness or damage that I could see. So I used the spray three times on all of my hair - I used a LOT of heat (blow dryer and straightener) and my hair is dramatically blonder after that. It felt starchy like hair spray after putting loads of it all over my hair and styling it, but that washes out. It goes starchy on your hands too. I also used it once more, a 4th time, but just on some highlighted areas. I am pretty happy with the result - my hair does not seem damaged at all but it's only been 2 weeks. I do not plan on using it anymore. My hair may look frizzy and kinky in my after picture, but that's just the texture of my hair. My hair is straightened in the before side.

I went into hairhouse warehouse and a hairdresser basically told me my hair will keep bleaching every time I put heat on it now and will gradually turn gummy and fall out!! I then read all these reviews and got myself into a literal panic because I have been growing my hair for 3 years now. But my hair does not appear to be getting any lighter, or continually bleaching, though I have been avoiding heat tools since I used it. My hair is no more frizzy or flyaway than it always was. She was basing it off her experience with oldschool lightening sprays, not specifically John Frieda Lightening Spray. It may not work like she assumes it does, it may only be heat activated while it's literally on your hair and coating it, not after you wash it out. I mean like my husband said, why would you need to use it up to 10 times, if it just keeps bleaching and damaging your hair forever? You'd only need to use it once. So I don't think it's as bad as they say. However if I decided to get foils done in the future, I will ask them to do a test patch first in case it reacts with any chemical residue in my hair from the spray, just in case.

But let me also say that even though I have frizzy coarse thick porous hair, I have also used sun-in as a teenager, then dyed my hair permanently black, then got it bleached back to blonde plus foils at a salon, and THEN also put supermarket light ash blonde over the top of that! yes my hair was damaged and very wiry, but it certainly did not break off, fall out, come out in chunks, etc etc. So maybe I just have really strong hair.

I wouldn't recommend it because of the horror reviews I've read and because it caused me a lot of worrying that my hair will fall out. But honestly my hair doesn't seem damaged at all and it came out quite an ash colour which was what I wanted. I hate brassy blonde and it's very hard to achieve ash blonde when you have undertones of chocolate brown dye.

Good luck girls!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2013 7:19:00 PM More reviews by anthriani

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Bear with me please. Bad points are coming first, but good points will follow. Promise!
(Also, sorry about the length!)

Ok firstly I should say that I am a brunette - and not a light, almost blonde, brunette. I have about medium to dark brown hair so, as stated on the packaging, this product is not made for me. According to the experts at John Frieda: Beware people like me!!!

I say this because, having read previous reviews, everyone that has had a seriously bad experience with this product seems to be a brunette of some level and - considering their level of surprise when their hair firstly doesnt go platinum and secondly becomes very fragile - I'm guessing hadn't read the warning on the box.

As such, if you are a brunette, try this at your own risk. As a warning I'll tell you that a dark haired friend of mine used this to lightenn her roots and the hairdresser banned her from dying her hair again until it had grown out and she'd cut it off (luckily she had very short hair!)

This is not my experience with it however!

I use this product to lighten the ends of my hair and make a few of my natural highlights stand out a little more - aiming for a graduating change rather than an obvious one. Basically I try aim for the hair I would have if i spent 2-3 summer months on a beach rather than in less than beachy London.

The effect I get is lovely. It takes a good few applications and some extreme straighening but the colour lightens to what i'd describe as a washed out looking brown/almost blonde colour with no brassiness.
This may not sound nice to you all but trust me, it is! And is very close to what my hair naturally does (something that other lightening/highlighting products designed for brunettes dont seem to want to do on me)

I would like to state that when I bought it two springs ago (only just finished my first bottle after almost 3 years), I used it about a handful of times over 2-3 weeks at first and then forgot about it for months at a time before using it once or twice when i remembered and wanted to raise the lightening effect up the hair and closer to my roots due to trims and growth.

I have always aimed to use it sparingly as it DOES contain peroxide and as such logically will cause some damage to anyone using it - be they blondes or brunettes. But that should be expected, The sun and even the best hairdresser would have the same effect over time - you are bleaching the colour out of your hair!

Does it dry out my ends? Yes. But so does time, the sun, products, hair styling tools and a million other things (and considering you need high heat for it to work, are you surprised?) Thats what trims, conditioners and general hair maintenance is for.

Do I get split end? again yes, but I'll be honest, firstly my hair could be in wonderful condition and still be a hot bed of split ends and secondly a weeks blow drying does far more damage to my hair than this has.

Have hairdressers run screaming from my hair with an insistance of deep conditioning treatments on a daily basis and a ban on anything but the gentlest products? Not at all!
In fact every hairdresser I have seen in the last 3 years has commented on how healthy it is (especailly considering its past-shoulderblade length)

In conclusion:
The product does exactly what it says on the box and very well. It can be harsh on the hair, but it is also a peroxide product and anyone expecting it to work like a conditioner clearly has a bad grasp of basic hair chemistry and needs to do a little more research on the subject. Use it sparingly, look after your hair as much as possible before,d uring and after you use it, and brunettes: please do not expect it to make you blonde. If you want such a drastic colour change, go to a professional.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2013 9:20:00 AM More reviews by hannahbanana13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this twice on my regrowth on my blonde hair, now i have orangey looking roots. I have some fly aways at the front and I don't think its worth it, I think it would look better to just have my brown hair coming threw the top than try and lighten them with this spray especially afet all the horror stories i read. I threw my bottle out defiantly not worth the ten dollars.If you want to go lighter this spray is not miracle you are better off going to a professional or buying a box kit !