Dove Nutritive Therapy Nourishing Oil Care Shampoo

3.8

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Glycol Distearate, Dimethiconol, Fragrance (Parfum), Glycerin, Carbomer, Gluconolactone, PPG-9, Guar Hydroxpropyltrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Adipic Acid, Sodium Sulfate, Trehalose, Tetrasodium EDTA, TEA-Sulfate, DMDM Hydantoin, PEG-45M, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 33 (CI 17200), Blue 1 (CI 42090)

on 9/4/2013 1:25:00 AM

A decent shampoo that doesn't strip hair of its natural moisture. I can't really say much else. Since it does have SLS and silicones in it its not all that amazing for hair. The "weightless oils" touted on the front are sweet almond oil and coconut oil - both good for the hair. I have curly 2B hair and this shampoo didn't make me frizzy which I liked. I enjoyed using this with the matching conditioner for a nice hydrated (but clean) feeling when I was heat styling my hair and not doing silicone/sulfate free. I generally enjoy using Dove shampoos and conditioners because they hydrate my hair without making it feel greasy on the second day. Still, there are better systems.

on 8/21/2013 7:47:00 PM

This product is great, but nothing miraculous. Ever since I started using the shampoo and conditioner, I stopped losing hair and my dandruff is 90% healed, but that may be because I switched from a horrible shampoo. Here's my take on it.

-gentle
-no overpowering smells
-feels fresh/cleans well (not greasy)
-well priced

But
-it didn't change anything in terms of frizz.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is my HG shampoo. It truly is weightless, leaving behind no residue whatsoever, while making my hair shiny, soft, and less frizzy. There are often sales and coupons on Dove, so the price is really, really reasonable. The only thing I don't love is the smell--it has a typical, inoffensive generic shampoo scent, but it's like it's layered over a gross smell. It's not that bad, just not great. The performance of this shampoo far outweighs that minor concern, though.

on 7/29/2013 10:40:00 AM

I love this product and can't say enough about it. The pair of the shampoo and conditioner from this line make my hair instantly soft the moment I finish conditioning. I have thin hair that gets easily oily and this really does have "weightless oils". I'm not a huge fan of the smell, it's not bad by any means but it just isn't a favorite. Other than that I will never buy another shampoo again!

on 7/5/2013 2:59:00 PM

It's just ok. Cleanses well & lathers up nicely, pleasant scent as well. But in the end it's just another DS shampoo. I don't love it but I'd buy it again if I needed a decent shampoo at an affordable price.

on 6/7/2013 2:48:00 AM

I've bought this product probably 4x. I have frizzy-prone hair, and I found this product to tame it down mostly. It made my hair soft and the scent was very nice.
I've bought this product on sale a couple times, and found it worth buying!

on 5/24/2013 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I finally caved in and bought this since I like the matching conditioner. It has a creamy lather and rinses clean, it leaves my hair smelling wonderful, and it has some decent smoothing properties. My curls were not weighed down and I had less frizz. The formulation I have has argan oil added to it, so I'm assuming this is a reformulated version of the original. I switch up between a lot of different shampoos, conditioners, and treatments, but I see myself using this more through my product rotation as it can be easily found at the drugstore and it costs less than five dollars (Perfect when I am on a budget). It does what it says without stripping my highlighted hair or making my hair fluffy in appearance. I wouldn't rely on this for the overall health of my hair, but it's not bad compared to other drugstore shampoos.

on 4/25/2013 5:11:00 PM

Dove really works, I'm loving it so far. It's been about 6 weeks since I've started using it.

Previously I used: Kerastase Nutritive line plus the Thermique. My hair started feeling dry & straw like, plus it became frizzy, because I wash & blow dry every day, & had some hightlights awhile back. I started searching for more conditioning products for my hair, going from the Kerastase Nutritive line to Aphogee to the Fakkai Tech. Color Care Line to the Kerastase Cristaliste line, then the 'It's a 10' line, then back to the Kerastase Nutritive line, because for my hair, it was the best out of the bunch. I had just re-purchased the shampoo & thermique, & was just about to buy the masqintense when I read a Dove review & went for it. I'm glad I did.

Now I'm using: Dove Nourishing Oil Care shampoo, Dove Nourishing Oil Care Conditioner (bottle), alternating with the Nourishing Oil Care Daily Treatment Conditioner (tube), then I put the Dove Nourishing Oil Care Leave-In Smoothing Cream (this step is a must for me) and if I need it, the Nourishing Oil Care Detangler, then before blow drying I use Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat-Tamer Leave-In Spray. I alternate with the Dove Intensive Repair Shampoo & Conditioner, plus the Daily Treatment Conditioner (tube).

I know everyone's hair is different, but Dove is working for mine. It's shinier & healthier than before & it got rid of the friz. Hopefully it will keep working. If it doesn't, I'll update.

{I don't have time to write separate reviews, so I'm using the same review for the other Dove products I mentioned}.

Update: Now that my hair is back in condition, it can be too nourishing, a little heavy if I use it too many days in a row, so I switch around. I use this when my hair gets dry again. I switch around a lot to Kerastasse, and Fekkai, and Aphogee. I think this did rescue my hair though, if you need a rescue I still highly recommend it, it saved my hair anyway.

on 4/12/2013 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I usually only buy salon products, but saw good reviews on Dove and decided to save some money.
My hair is long, thick and I have a lot. It is wavy, but i straighten it with the blow dryer or straightener often. The roots are oily, but the ends are DRY. I recently dyed my hair "ombre", so the ends became SUPER dry (like straw). My most recent salon shampoo was very drying to the point where my hair was tangled and SQUEAKING.
So after getting a trim to cut off the dead ends, I decided to give this shampoo a try.
I was pleased. Love the scent and it definitely cleans my hair/scalp without being too drying. I didn't have any itching in my scalp (that sometimes happens) and no breakouts. I will say that it wasn't a miracle though at first.
I then decided to do CWC (condition-wash-condition). FABULOUS.
I wash my hair every other day. First I soak it down, then use conditioner (whatever you have) on the ends only (i start at the nape of my neck down). Then i wash my scalp with this shampoo. Rinse. Then I add the Dove conditioner Nourishing Oil care to the ends, put it up with a clip and finish the rest of my shower business. Then i rinse it out.
After showering, I use 2 products (a straightening cream and moroccan oil), then dry/straighten.
LOVE IT. my hair is so much better than it was and I can even say the ends are NOT DRY anymore (after just a week of CWC with Dove). My hair is soft and smells great. I can't stop TOUCHING IT.
If there is too much build up (on the roots), I plan on doing a clarifying wash. So far, it hasn't been necessary.

on 4/2/2013 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have been using this shampoo for more than a year, and it really does it job. I have long, naturally blonde but bleached, wavy, thick and super dry hair and itīs really difficult to find a shampoo that nourishes my hair enough. No shampoo has ever made my hair look oily or flat, so that is not my problem.

The problem is, that most of the shampoos (even those with the label "moisturizing") make my hair completely unmanageable. It takes hours to make it soft and untangled.
This shampoo helps a little bit, and my hair feels moisturized.

All in all, not a super product for super dry hair, but compared to the saloon products that can be x10 more expensive, this shampoo makes a great deal.

I will continue using this until I find something more effective (not likely to happen...)

Popular Shampoos